Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 1278 Old 07-31-2012, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Update:

I found my hard drives in stock! Direct Canada had them in stock so I ordered the last 8 I need to fill up the current NAS smile.gif They should hopefully ship today or tomorrow and I hope to see them by the end of the week!
This week i'm also hoping to finally test out the Sony S790 and put a few hours in on the shelves and hopefully get at least a dry fit to make the 3rd and final shelf. I've been so busy I keep meaning to try the S790 but I get sidetracked and I haven't even removed the packing tape on it since Mike from AVS sent it to me a few weeks back...

More to follow.

Cheers
Calvin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1278 Old 08-02-2012, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Update:

Sadly I'm back to the drawing board on the HD's. Direct Canada didn't have the drives I found out. I wasn't seeing my order as shipped after 2 days so I called them and sure enough they don't have them and can't get them so I've asked for a full refund and I'm back on the hunt. It looks like I'll have to order the 7200 RPM 4TB drives at this point now I just have to find a Canadian supplier that has them in stock and so far my last 3 calls have turned up empty for 8 HD's in stock...

More to follow
Calvin
post #1263 of 1278 Old 08-03-2012, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
If you run out of space, you could use 3tb drives to hold you over.

18.5ft x 14ft home theatre room with 120" screen and 7.1 sound

post #1264 of 1278 Old 08-03-2012, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmerman911 View Post

If you run out of space, you could use 3tb drives to hold you over.

Ya I was thinking I might buy a couple and then I can just move them to one of the other PC's later once I find some more 4TB but i've already got 2 or more TB in those machines so it seems overkill especially now that i have a dedicated server.... oh well I'll find some 4's soon enough just have to keep calling they are still making and shipping them so they'll be along sooner or later (hopefully sooner!)

Cheers
Calvin
post #1265 of 1278 Old 08-03-2012, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Update I did some shopping today!cool.gif

(as usual click on the thumbs to increase pic size wink.gif)

th_NewMarantz.jpg

Whats in the box!

The 5 channel amp (I've given up on the 7 channel for now and I'm testing this 5 channel and then putting the other 2 rear surround channels through the 7 channel receiver)

th_93c4c18c.jpg

The new SR7007! 4K pass through at last!

th_afc71d8b.jpg

Out of the box!

th_10b9010f.jpg

Back of the SR7007

th_d6e0d2d4.jpg

Front the SR7007. The look was a big part of my selection I'm a big fan of the Marantz aesthetics.

th_Untitled.jpg

more to follow
post #1266 of 1278 Old 08-03-2012, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Before I put the Pioneer Elite VSX-52 away I thought I'd do some comparison shots

The PE is a bit bigger and heavier but also a little less in height as the pics show.

th_ComparisonofSR7007andPEVSX-521.jpg

th_ComparisonofSR7007andPEVSX-522.jpg

th_ComparisonofSR7007andPEVSX-523.jpg

The most important comparison shot the back smile.gif

th_ComparisonofSR7007andPEVSX-524.jpg

The SR7007 has a lot of flexibility - many, HDMI in/outs and 3 zones!

In the Rack

th_Marantznoflash.jpg

4k Pass through at Last!!

th_4kpassthrough.jpg

Selecting the big resolutions is possible now through the AVR - Mission success!

th_7970resolutions.jpg

The down side of these insane resolutions is even with a 12' screen I have to walk up closer to read the dame text tongue.gif

Selection menus at the 2 highest resolutions.

th_3840x2160.jpg

th_4k006.jpg

More to follow in a day or two lots to do this long weekend!

Cheers
Calvin
post #1267 of 1278 Old 08-04-2012, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Update:

So after messing around for several hours and after all the set up yesterday I noticed I was getting what I think is a ground loop hum - it's some kind of interference noise and it's louder then it ever has been before with any of the many equipment switches I've done to date!

It was easily 2 or 3 times louder then it was when I pulled my flying mole cascade and that was only the front 3 speakers at that time, this time around it was all 7 speaker (or 11 if you count the subs).

So I read up on humming in speaker systems and the many causes and cures of which there are a ton sadly. I took my new knowledge and went to work... about 2 hours later I've discovered the culprit confused.gif it's my sub 1 and sub 2 channels. These are ironically (to me anyways) the only cables in my set up that are XLR connections (balanced). There is no mistake though I plug in one the distortion appears and it's pretty audiable. I plug in the second one and the distortion / humming increases 2 or 3 fold! So for now I've left my subs unplugged and I have to see what I can do to fix this so far after 2 hours of trying to re-route the cables in different configurations I've had zero luck...
The weird thing about this to me anyways is that this issue wasn't there when I was just using my PE AVR of course I had other issues such as not enough power in the AVR to drive the higher volumes with out distortation so I've just really traded off to a new issue I guess but both are having a major factor for me enjoying sound quality in the room...

Anyone have any suggestions, should I get shorter cables (the ones that are installed are way longer then they need to be and I've gotten them zipped up in a couple places so that may be part of the issue?) I can cut the zips and try stretching the cables out I guess as well but I'll wait to see if anyone has any ideas on what may be an idea to try going forward. (I'm not sure it matters as XLR is really designed for long runs but perhaps I have mine wrapped and zipped in some manner that is causing the interference?)

For now I'm just using the two new pieces with out the subs and it's near perfect and I have the volume back in the room I wanted but now I don't have boom ;/ can't win sometimes but I'm sure there is a fix I'll just have to keep on it! BTW the Audyssey MultEQ XT is much better then the PE MCACC. I'm impressed with the difference already my room has never sounded better then it does now. I'm still getting the odd handshake issue with new AVR which is maddening sometimes I hate HDMI...well actually I almost always do to be honest. The only fix for now seems to be to unplug and then replug in the cables in these cases which isn't great. That will be my next issue to tackle once I get the subs sorted!

Cheers
Calvin
post #1268 of 1278 Old 08-09-2012, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Maybe the sub XLR issue is not with the sub or cable but with the new AVR, as that is the change your made right, swapping out the AVR?
What happens when you use the PE AVR?

post #1269 of 1278 Old 08-09-2012, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmerman911 View Post

Maybe the sub XLR issue is not with the sub or cable but with the new AVR, as that is the change your made right, swapping out the AVR?
What happens when you use the PE AVR?

Glimmer your right of course as the issue wasn't as pronounced with the PE AVR but it was still there in a lesser degree. From what I've read and understood about this "ground loop" (if that is what it is) this type of buzzing / humming can be corrected and it's not the issue with the gear so much as how the cabling and power is the cause. I have Tim from National AV stopping by tomorrow at 3:00 to help me find and fix it so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. smile.gif

I'll have an update this weekend! BTW check your PM I sent you a message about this weekend as well.

Thanks
Calvin
post #1270 of 1278 Old 08-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

I'm sure National will assist.

Out of curiosity, what do you use as a power conditioner? Do you ground each device such as your AVR?

post #1271 of 1278 Old 08-09-2012, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Glimmer,

I have 2 Monster HDP IR 2550 High Definiton Powercenter w/ Green Power which I find somewhat comical in the literature it states "Additonally, the HDP IR 2550 has groundloop isolation on cable connections to reduce noise and interference that can affect your HDTV's picture" and I think I've never had more "ground loop" issues in my system since I put these in place. I do however have 2 other "power" units they are the Belkin PureAV® Home Theater Power Console PF30 I think which are also supposed to be ok. Despite all that I've tried numerous combinations between these 4 and nothing so far has worked confused.gif

Hopefully Tim from National can get me cleared up!

Some update news!

Direct Canada didn't have the HD's I wanted so I cancelled the order and luckily Memory express called me today and had some come in!

Thus I went shopping again!

th_93dcbc6d.jpg

Now I have another 32 TB and a 3TB external to play with smile.gif

More to follow soon

Cheers
Calvin
post #1272 of 1278 Old 08-13-2012, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Update:

So Tim stopped by on Friday and we played around with the equipment in the rack for a few hours. We isolated the humming to the 2 sub amps as I expected and it didn’t seem to matter how we hooked them up or how we ran the cords or even what cords we used (we tried some higher end power and audio cables but nothing could remove the humming / buzzing).

Finally I decided to grab a couple 2 channel Marantz 7025 amps to test out this weekend and took out the Behringer Europower and Crown amps as well as the feedback destroyers. The result
Problem solved! You can hear a mosquito fart in my theater now it’s so silent all you hear is others breathing if you strain.

So now all I need to decide is if I want to stay with the 2 x 2 channel M7025 or pick up another 1 x 5 channel M7055. The single 5 channel is cheaper than buying 2 channels separately and gives me a bit more rack space open for other stuff but is there any advantage other than saving a few hundred bucks that I should be considering? Does the 2 separate amps give me any advantage due to the separate power supplies etc?
I’ll post some pics later this week I took a couple and the rack looks great with the all the new Marantz gear but I haven’t uploaded them yet.

I didn’t get finished my shelving this weekend (big surprise I know!) I ended up doing another couple coats of laquer finish as I decided I didn’t have enough after taking a closer look. I’ve put on about 5 coats now so it should be good to go for next weekend baring any major disaster or family function!

On a side note watched the new Bourne last night in the local VIP theater. It was pretty good but I didn’t like it as much as the previous ones they should have given it another 20 minutes and finished it off instead of pushing for a sequel in typical Hollywood fashion.

More to follow soon.
post #1273 of 1278 Old 08-13-2012, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Bourne Legacy wasn't very good, I saw it opening night in AVX. Good action, but weak story line and I agree, too much setup for sequels and not enough stand-alone story.

First movie I have seen in the theatre in a while, and my first AVX. AVX was good, I liked the seats and loved the pre-booking of seats!

Glad you fixed the humming!

post #1274 of 1278 Old 08-15-2012, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Update:

The rack lit up with no flash

Note the pictures will be correct orientation when you click on the thumb. I'm not sure why it's done this with this particular post I'll try to fix it when I'm at home and I'm not on the laptop.confused.gif

th_photo2.jpg

The 83 temp LCD display is not any brighter in reality just looks that way in this shot.

th_photo5.jpg

The rack photos with Flash showing all the new Marantz gear

th_photo6.jpg

th_photo1.jpg

Finally I went shopping yesterday and picked up a few movies (and a couple games). This is my single biggest BD buy ever I picked up 52 movies a couple weeks back but I nearly doubled that buy last night picking picking up 96 movies, 1 series (Dexter season 6) and a couple new games!

th_photo4.jpg

Now I better get working on that shelving my space is needed!

Cheers
Calvin
post #1275 of 1278 Old 08-15-2012, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Nice Rack! smile.gif

I love the look of Marantz gear, I hope to expand my Marantz gear with processor some day.

post #1276 of 1278 Old 08-19-2012, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Update:

Shelves 1 and 2 completed at last!

th_9f56440d.jpg

th_7a837d60.jpg

I pre cut the holes for the power outlets

th_5367b64c.jpg

Close ups (most of the reason this took so long is shown here)

th_da830a96.jpg

th_52822aec.jpg

One shot from last week I meant to post but overlooked.

I swapped out the XLR connections and moved to some AQ banana plugs with the new Marantz amps which have fixed all my sound issues. My room has never looked or sounded better then it does now. I still have to decide if I want to stay with the 2 x 2 channel amps or switch over to a single 5 channel amp and just use the 4 channels to power the subs... I'm leaning towards the 5 channel just to free up a little rack space so I can get the new Sony 790 in there which I still need to do!

th_ec6a7552.jpg

More to follow next post on the shelves!
post #1277 of 1278 Old 08-19-2012, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The down side of building these in one giant piece out of quality hard wood is they weighed a ton and moving them down the stairs was not great on my back tongue.gif

This was shelf one once we got it down and roughly into position

th_5094ccd8.jpg

This next shot was placing it on the old shelving to bring the height up to above the 6" baseboard and I've got a few tools out for odd tasks luckily no shims were required

th_88307e10.jpg

Shelf 1 & 2 in place! Now just have to fill them!

th_d5f2fb27.jpg

This was the disaster in the next room after emptying the old shelves and now I had the task of getting them all back in place on the new units.

th_06b5d0fc.jpg

This time around I've decided to put the shelves as they were before but the movies wil be sorted differently!

I've decided to put the shelves up

1 2

I have shelves 1 and 2 up now and I've taken the final measurement for finishing up shelf # 3 which I hope to have done in the next 2-3 weeks.

This time I'm going to put all the HD titles on Shelf one, SD titles on shelf 2 and games on shelf 3. I'm also going to get a nice cushy ottoman that has a space inside that someone can sit on while making a selection and will also have some items hiding inside like extra controllers etc...

anyway this is the finished (so far) result!

th_4938fef1.jpg

th_a1b27c73.jpg

Each shelf hold about 40 movies and there are 7 rows with 3 across for a total of about 1120 movies a shelf for 1 & 2. Shelf # 3 will be a bit smaller so I'm thinking about 7 or 800 (perhaps less) will be the total for the last one to go up.

As you can see these are almost full already so I need to get the 400 or so games off the HD shelf onto shelf # 3 as soon as a I can so I can move the 150+ Blu rays I have on top into the shelf and then sort them alphabetically.

More to follow in a couple weeks

Cheers
Calvin
post #1278 of 1278 Old 09-05-2012, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I've been busy with baby's first birthday coming up and family stuff but I hope to have shelf number 3 installed soon! Last night we had the Olivia and her 2 cousins over for a early 1 year old celebration. With over 25 people in the house we had every room in the house getting a work out including the theater room! The media server is performing well just a few small hiccups in the last couple of months where a frame rate judder occurs or something small of that nature. I'd like to fix those of course but as 99% of things are playing back perfectly the odd farme judder in the occassional movie isn't causing me to lose sleep (yet)

Some pics from last nights "babyapoolza"!

This is all the children in the "immediate family" on my wife side from 3 weeks old to 14 years! 10 already this family is pretty big on "family" I'm falling behind with just 1 addition!

th_Kids.jpg

Presents! The little guys had fun opening each others presents and generally eating the paper and playing with the boxes more so then anything else in typical 1 year old fashion!

th_Presents.jpg

The star of the show! The 3 almost 1 year olds checking out the window upstairs together looking at the backyard. For some reason all the babies love this window they can stay up there all day looking out there, banging on the window and making a mess of the glass tongue.gif

th_Cousins.jpg

Finally the Cake!

th_Cake.jpg

Was a fun night but I'll be cleaning the house for a week!

Cheers
Calvin
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Speaker Systems , Yamaha , Receivers Amplifiers , Toshiba 61h70 61 Inch Hdtv Ready Projection Tv , Toshiba
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page