Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-08-2000, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
PF
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Sony announced a new "reference" DVD player, the DVP-S9000ES ($1500), which can also play SACDs! It has 12-bit/54MHz video D/A converters (sounds good to me) and comes with a five-year warranty. Availability is supposedly November 2000.

This is a very smart move and will help greatly in their competition with the alternative DVD Audio format.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-09-2000, 07:12 PM

Liked: 10

But there are other questions. Does it have a digital output? Is the SACD playback stereo or 5.1? And does it handle DVD Audio discs as well?

post #3 of 6 Old 09-10-2000, 01:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Can some one mosey over the MSB booth and compare a CINEMATRIX modified unit to the SONY progressive DVD payer?

------------------
Guess Who's Clone?
post #4 of 6 Old 09-10-2000, 03:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I have the specs on the 9000ES. It does 480P and SACD. It may do 24/96 2-channel via digital output, but I wan't able to confirm that. DVD Audio is not possible at all. They had a prototype there but it wasn't operational.

MSB/Cinematrix was there but their setup was poor. They had two Princetons setup, but spaced very far apart. I found it difficult to discern any significant differences. I'm sure they differences when projected onto a large screen. But their setup left me unimpressed with the Cinematrix.

Tom

[This message has been edited by tommyboy2 (edited 09-10-2000).]
post #5 of 6 Old 09-11-2000, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice pictures John. I didn't even know about the Sonic Frontiers preamp. Were you able to audition it?

Also, thats too bad that Sony is using the genisys chip. It looked promising until I heard that.

Tom
post #6 of 6 Old 09-11-2000, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
PF
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
kotches,

I understood that the cheaper $800 SACD player will be introduced, as well, and had given my dealer a pre-order for it. But the idea of a combo DVD/player is big news, if you ask me.

Furthermore, while the retail is $1500, the street price will be probably more like $1000, as it was for the 7700 reference player.

As for competing with DVD Audio, I think it will help enormously in that contest. First it's a better format, and second, you don't need a separate player in your HT system to play those awesome sounding SACDs. It's brilliant, if you ask em.

I know some will whine that it's not 5.1 SACD, but those people don't appreciate the musical achievement that 2 channel SACD is and weren't interested in the format to begin with. And a surround SACD format isn't ready now, anyway. When it is, they'll get their 5.1 or 6.1 or 7.1 SACD and they can be happy, too.

My 2.1 cents.

Closed Thread General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page