My HT Room - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 133 Old 02-26-2008, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Also I'm still trying to find out what damn connection type outlet is on the wife's laptop so I can connect the laptop to the pj.

Other then that, I'm running out of things to upgrade (ATM) but since the building of the room has turned as much into my hobby as watching the actual movies, I'm constantly trying to think what else I can do/add to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 133 Old 02-26-2008, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Also I was previously talking to Driving_Hamster & billd25 in this thread who live close to me. We discussed getting together sometime.

I even made arrangements to do so the one time but I had to cancel for some forgotten reason. If you guys are still available, we can schedule a time to get together sometime soon.
post #123 of 133 Old 05-29-2009, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

hmmm I dont think Ive added much to the HT room this year besides Blu-ray movies

Getting the update bug I decided to finish off my equipment rack by ordering & adding custom faceplates for each of the shelf/components. Its a bit pricey at around $50 per faceplate plus another 50 for the extra shelves so $500-800 isnt the smartest money ive spent on this but after seeing pictures of others on the board I want to finish it.

Besides that my Harmony 880 has passed away (will only work when about 6" from each of the components) so Im trying to decide which remote to upgrade to now.

Also I was interested in picking up a rack-mountable Vudu XL2 box last week but have since found out they have been discontinued (6 months after its release) so im undecided if I should pick up one of there lesser models or not now.
post #124 of 133 Old 05-29-2009, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Tom! I noticed that you recently started posting again and was wondering whether you might resurrect your thread. You may not recall but early on in my build you answered a lot of questions I had since I was using your build as my inspiration. Nice to see you back.
post #125 of 133 Old 06-01-2009, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Heyya Queen, yep im back. Lacrosse season is over for the year and my beloved Philladelphia Wings lost so Im back to being bored until next season and need to spend lots of money on my HT room just to piss of my wife....

I just followed your link and saw some of your room pics. It looks fantastic... 40 pages is a bit to much for me to read real fast though (I will though) by the way where are you located?

I like the chairrail and have considered doing the same but it would eliminate me being able to hang any posters on the one wall then because of the soffit.
post #126 of 133 Old 06-01-2009, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Yes, my build thread is a bit of a bear to read through. Hopefully, it provides some help to others just starting out. I'm in NY.

For some reason, I thought you had sold your posters or maybe you were just swapping them out?
post #127 of 133 Old 06-02-2009, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yea ive change the posters a few times. That reminds me I still have the original posters (in the room pics) if anyone local wants to pickt them up.
post #128 of 133 Old 06-03-2009, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Waiting on my last (hopefully) shipment to arrive today that should finish off the equipment rack (except for one compenent/shelf). What started off as simple idea to add faceplates to the rack shelves has winded up costing $700-800 to finish. It definitely looks nicer then it did but from a cost comparison Im not sure I would have started this if I had calculated the entire expense first.

Below is a diagram using the mid atlantic rack tools that shows how each of the components fit in the rack. After I have finished adding all the faceplates I'll add before & after pics.

post #129 of 133 Old 06-04-2009, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I received my order yesterday and one of the shelves sent wasnt the size that I had ordered. So I will now have to go to the trouble of getting this corrected, waiting for the new shelf to come (which will be the 4th delivery for this in the last few weeks), sending the incorrect shelf back, plus having to pull out the rack from the cabinet to fix the shelves yet again. Moral of the story, get all the right shelves to start with so you dont wind up going thru this later...
post #130 of 133 Old 06-07-2009, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Im still waiting to get the last correct shelf but wanted to put up some pictures now. It does seem to make a large difference.

post #131 of 133 Old 06-08-2009, 07:57 AM

The rack is looking really great with those custom face plates!

Question: With all of the other upgrades you've done... Any thoughts of changing the MTX in-walls? (for the record: I'm not an in-wall basher and have never heard the MTXs) I was just curious if you still liked them.
post #132 of 133 Old 06-08-2009, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan View Post

The rack is looking really great with those custom face plates!

Question: With all of the other upgrades you've done... Any thoughts of changing the MTX in-walls? (for the record: I'm not an in-wall basher and have never heard the MTXs) I was just curious if you still liked them.

The speakers sound great and theres no reason for me to change them. At this point I think Ive upgraded everything in the room but those speakers and still dont see a reason to replace them.
post #133 of 133 Old 06-08-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsHT View Post

I received my order yesterday and one of the shelves sent wasnt the size that I had ordered. So I will now have to go to the trouble of getting this corrected, waiting for the new shelf to come (which will be the 4th delivery for this in the last few weeks), sending the incorrect shelf back, plus having to pull out the rack from the cabinet to fix the shelves yet again. Moral of the story, get all the right shelves to start with so you dont wind up going thru this later...

I made a variety of mistakes while compiling my MA rack. A big one was thinking that I could order a normal x-space universal shelf and put a custom faceplate on it. Nope. I still have 2 or 3 universal MA shelves lying around.

I also somehow screwed up my space count when ordering final space fillers. I have room left for an xbox360 but I'm not jumping on that yet...to much to enjoy since finishing.

In any case, I now have a 1 space hole above the drawer. I need to replace that two spacer with a three.

What are you using to light your rack? I need task lighting - I left a one-space above the receiver at the top but haven't found lights I like. I dont care for the goosenecks. I saw some MA custom jobs that were expensive...and as you stated, these racks really add up.

I bought the 4-rail slide-out version so I can slide it out. Why? No need. It backs into a closet and I can walk in and do all the work I need. ...another example of poor MA rack planning that probably cost me lots of dough!

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page