Welcome to Mad Tom Studios Cinema - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 42 Old 11-10-2006, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Ok here it is my very own HT Room construction thread. I can't believe it! Well I know that you all want pictures and you shall have them but I want to give ya all a little background first. I started this journey in the mid 90's with a 46" 1.33 RPTV (still in use in the bedroom) with a nice little Dolby Surround Sound system. It was great and I love it but I longed for something bigger. I was always an OAR fan but I wanted to get rid of those black bars. In 2001 I got a Mits 65869 65" 1.78 set. WOW! What a difference. I was watching HD with the built in tuner before HD was cool I was the guy who had the Superbowl and Xbox parties. After many upgrades this is what I have currently in my Family Room. I call it the Javabean Media Room. It is also my main music system. So here is that room:

Yes those are 5 Klipsch Cornwalls. Yes that is a Klipsch Cornwall hung above the TV. Yes there are 3 SVS Subwoofers. Crazy huh? Ok so that is awesome and all but I wanted a big picture. One free 10'X10' Dalite Matte White Screen, a $10 800x600 LCD projector, some speakers, a subwoofer borrowed from the Javabean system and you get this, the start of the Mad Tom Studios Cinema:

Back:

Front:

With screen down:

On to next post.

Laters,
Jeff

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL = eqshadimar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 11-10-2006, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok so then things get a tad crazy and I decide I want a HD projector mounted on the ceiling and to make a HT room (you guys are dangerous here let me tell you!). It cannot be a dedicated space because my neighborhood would not support that as a selling point. So let the fun begin.

First I need to install overhead lighting as there was no lighting in the room to begin with (oh I missed a stage in the picture taking so you will see the projector already mounted with a ceiling outlet that I also installed). At this point I had also run the video signal wires through the ceiling.

and lights installed:

and then of course you need the anamorphic lens for a true 2.35 scope screen experience:

Screenshots to follow.

Laters,
Jeff

XBL = eqshadimar
post #3 of 42 Old 11-10-2006, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So here are some screenshots still on my free 10'X10' screen. I will purchase a scope screen later on. The gamma is increased to show the effect of the scaling and stretching using the lens the picture is not that washed out. The image is ~50" tall throwing a 100" diag 1.78 image and a 127" diag 2.35 image.

Normal everyday blah 2.35 image inside a 1.78 panel:

Projector in V-Fit Mode (tall and skinny):

Right Stretch:

Full Stretch Mode:

So that is how an anamorphic lens works.

Laters,
Jeff

XBL = eqshadimar
post #4 of 42 Old 11-10-2006, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here are the non gamma adjusted pictures:

The source is a Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD Player.

Ok so now I have a great picture. What to do now? Tear it all down of course! Note that I also moved the outlets up to the proper height so they would be useable with the riser in place.

Ok almost caught up to present day!

Laters,
Jeff

XBL = eqshadimar
post #5 of 42 Old 11-10-2006, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Front speaker wiring:

Sheetrock! Whee...

Valence for screen:

Ok so there ya go for now. The next steps are sanding, re-mudding, texturing, and painting. Then the finish work. Let me know if ya all have any questions.

Laters,
Jeff

XBL = eqshadimar
post #6 of 42 Old 11-13-2006, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok progress to report! Texturing is done on the new wall. Almost time for paint!

Laters,
Jeff

XBL = eqshadimar
post #7 of 42 Old 11-15-2006, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok I got the ceiling paint done. It is a Behr Color called Dark Granite. The sheen is flat. In this picture some of the paint is still wet and that is the discoloration.

Here are some shots showing the cut in painting for the wall color. It is an American Tradition color called Ocean Boardwalk but I actually got it color matched and I am using Olympic paint instead. You can see the paint combo from these shots. Again the paint is still wet so the color is not solid yet:

Ok that is it for tonight.

Laters,
Jeff

XBL = eqshadimar
post #8 of 42 Old 11-16-2006, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It is looking very nice so far. Cant wait to see the final outcome.

post #9 of 42 Old 11-16-2006, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow my first reply! I need to send you a cookie or something Thanks for the comments. I still am trying to figure out how to get at least a popcorn cart in there somehow. I am looking at movie poster frames and posters that I want too. That is all the fun stuff that we can do after the construction is done.

Laters,
Jeff

XBL = eqshadimar
post #10 of 42 Old 11-16-2006, 09:36 AM

Liked: 10
LOL

I just noticed I was the first. Well, It does look nice. I am jealous about your 2.35 and may have to add one to my theatre

Doing all of the little things after construction is one of the best parts of building these rooms in my opinion. I will say, having fresh non-microwaved popcorn really makes a huge difference for us (And is really cool to show off)

Keep us updated with your progress

post #11 of 42 Old 11-16-2006, 09:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Jeff,

Its looking good. Nice job on the ceiling installs looks very clean

Cheers
Calvin

Check out my construction thread below -

post #12 of 42 Old 11-16-2006, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Looking good, eq!

Is that some barrel distortion on the bottom of your screenshot, or just the picture, or my eyes? I'm also planning 2.35 (7):1, but still not started on construction yet (awaiting signoff from building department, can't wait).

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #13 of 42 Old 11-16-2006, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Calvin - Thanks for the comments on the ceiling install. Believe it or not that is a caulkless PVC shower drain ($6 USD at Home depot or Lowes) that I am using for the video signal wires. It worked out great. I drilled a 3.5" hole in the ceiling and inserted the drain and clamped it to the drywall ceiling using the big nut and gasket that you see in the picture. I then inserted a length of 2" PVC pipe of the proper height to raise it above the ceiling insulation and clamped in place with the compression fitting included inside the drain. I ran the wires and sealed up the hole on the top with some firestop goop.

Brad -

I have seen your thread and I am just glad that I do not have to deal with any town department for any of this!

Yes there is the slightest barrel distortion however the angle that the camera was at makes it seem worse then it is. If the screen was a proper 2.35 ratio screen it would be covered by the boarders. Depending on how you tilt the lens you can get a little barrel distortion on the top and bottom, none at the top and more at the bottom and vice versa. I have tried to split the difference and to me it is a small amount that is not really noticeable when watching a movie.

Laters,
Jeff

XBL = eqshadimar
post #14 of 42 Old 11-16-2006, 01:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Looking good can not wait to build my theater when we move. I just enjoy everyone elses for now.

Nate

10,000 Watts, custom built speakers, 10' CIH screen = Holy Crap
post #15 of 42 Old 11-16-2006, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Nate. I am enjoying the process even though it is a bunch of hard work. I have been planning this for a long time so it is nice to see it all come together.

Now for tonights update! The walls are painted! I still need to do some touch up but you can really get a feel for how the room will look.

Laters,
Jeff

XBL = eqshadimar
post #16 of 42 Old 11-16-2006, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok so now I need some opinons from the experts.

Should I get grey outlets and outlet covers for the front projection wall and projector ceiling outlet or leave them white?

On the front projection wall should the trim at the floor be painted grey as well? There will not be any stage.

They are not installed because of the painting but how about the trim for the can lights? Leave them white or paint them grey. I am not sure how well the paint will stick to them.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks!
Jeff

XBL = eqshadimar
post #17 of 42 Old 11-17-2006, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd personally get grey outlets and faceplates. I think the white will stand out too much.

As for the cans, that's more of a preference thing. I'd get something grey if it were me. I don't like them calling attention to themselves - but that's just me. If you get nylon/plastic trim rings, they can be roughed up a little with steel wool so they'll take paint better. You just need something to knock the shine off.

Bryan

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Bryan Pape - Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

post #18 of 42 Old 11-17-2006, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I second Bryan's opinion. Don't use white covers on the projection wall. I'd also make the can lights match the ceiling color.

Ed

Thanks,
Ed

post #19 of 42 Old 11-20-2006, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok thanks guys. I actually finished all of the painting over the weekend. I will post pictures when I get a chance. I ended up painting the window ledge and the front trim grey. I replaced the outlets and outlet covers for the projector and screen wall with the normal grey ones from HD. They are a lighter grey but still much better then white would have been. I also painted the can light trim using a grey spray paint. I like how it all looks now.

I have to say that the room sucks up the light now! Before with the 4 can lights the room was plenty light. The frist time I turned them one with the room painted I thought they were dimmed. Of course this is after I had been working in the room with 1000 watt halogen work lights so perhaps I was just used to something a little brighter

I will try and post some updates tonight. I am trying to get the carpet cleaned before I start moving everything back into the room.

Laters,
Jeff

XBL = eqshadimar
post #20 of 42 Old 12-21-2006, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq_shadimar View Post

Calvin - Thanks for the comments on the ceiling install. Believe it or not that is a caulkless PVC shower drain ($6 USD at Home depot or Lowes) that I am using for the video signal wires. It worked out great. I drilled a 3.5" hole in the ceiling and inserted the drain and clamped it to the drywall ceiling using the big nut and gasket that you see in the picture. I then inserted a length of 2" PVC pipe of the proper height to raise it above the ceiling insulation and clamped in place with the compression fitting included inside the drain. I ran the wires and sealed up the hole on the top with some firestop goop.

Laters,
Jeff

Jeff, that's BRILLIANT! I've been thinking about a solution for doing this in my own theater, and this is perfect. Thank you for sharing it.

Joseph

The stars at night
Are big and bright
Deep in the Heart of Texas Theater!
post #21 of 42 Old 12-24-2006, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Joseph -

You are welcome. Glad I could help out a fellow Texan!

Laters,
Jeff

XBL = eqshadimar
post #22 of 42 Old 12-30-2006, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok here are some pictures of Mad Tom Studios Cinema until the bank account recovers I am very happy with the results I still need add some wall art, drapes, and theater seating for the front row but for now I am enjoying the theater.

Hope you all enjoy and thanks for looking.

Laters,
Jeff

XBL = eqshadimar
post #23 of 42 Old 12-30-2006, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is a side shot that shows off the room a bit:

Equipment Rack:

Laters,
Jeff

XBL = eqshadimar
post #24 of 42 Old 12-30-2006, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Very clean looking install !
I like the seating very modern looking. I have ordered a row of black berkline 45004's for a very similar install. I am keeping a 100" couch for my front row as my wife likes to lay down during movies sometimes. Johnathan

I'm the "Thread Cooler" ! When I post that usually kills interest in the thread.

See my
post #25 of 42 Old 01-02-2007, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Looking good. The budgetary issues will force you to just sit back and enjoy it for a while.

Bryan

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Bryan Pape - Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

post #26 of 42 Old 01-02-2007, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Johnathan and Bryan -

Thank you for the comments. I must admit not having the funds is a nice excuse to just sit and watch movies It got a lot of use during the holidays.

Laters,
Jeff

XBL = eqshadimar
post #27 of 42 Old 02-19-2007, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok I added some end tables and lighting for the back row. I also switched out the speakers so the lighter colored ones are in the back now:

Laters,
Jeff

XBL = eqshadimar
post #28 of 42 Old 02-19-2007, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I also finally got the equipment cabinet installed. It is from IKEA and the total cost including the doors, shelves, handles, and feet was $174.00 which I think is a smoking deal considering the cost of other options that I looked at. I still need to do a bit of cable management but other than that it is pretty much finished.

Here is the before:

and now:

Laters,
Jeff

XBL = eqshadimar
post #29 of 42 Old 03-01-2007, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok a shameless bump. I ordered my 2.35 screen from AVS today! Here are the specs:

The numbers may be hard to read. It will have 4" black borders, top border of 6", bottom border of 23". The viewable area will be 52"x122.25" (~106" dia 1.78, ~132.5" dia 2.35).

The material is high power and it will be a Da-Lite Model C with CSR. Jason here at AVS helped with all the ordering. I will post actual pictures when it arrives.

Laters,
Jeff

XBL = eqshadimar
post #30 of 42 Old 03-15-2007, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok I finally got the 2.35 screen in and mounted. Here are the pictures:

Laters,
Jeff

XBL = eqshadimar
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page