AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Any News From CEDIA?

1K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  Dave Harper 
#1 ·
Can anyone provide info. on what is new at CEDIA? I was supposed to be there, but United Airlines canceled my flights (4 times), and now I can not get a flight on any other airline.

I am particularly interested in developments with respect to dvd (e.g., HDTV versions, recordable machines, etc.), scalers/interpolators, dlp/ila developments.

Also, has Lexicon made any announcements?

Thanks. Wish I could have been there with you.

#27 ·
John and others,

Of course this was not an apples to apples comparison because in no way did we tout the FE unit to be superior to the Faroudja. Actually, most people had no problem differentiating the two processors and we had no issue in stating that the Faroudja is undoubtably superior. I know because the 3000 is my reference video processor.

This demo was not intended to be a Faroudja vs. FE shootout but simply to demonstrate the capabilities of the FE unit, and to show off the abilities of the TAW 800 projector when driven by the best video processor.... the Faroudja 3000. This is why the Faroudja side was driven at 960P because it is the best scan rate for this projector. John, your fellow reviewer Mr. Tom Norton also prefered the look of 960P in his review of the Vidikron Vision 3 which is essentially the same unit and based on the same platform as the TAW 800. I also exclusively run my F. 3000 at 960P on my TAW 800.

The color filters were used on the first day of the show by the request of some magazine reviewers. We actually removed the green filter before the show and kept the red intact. The second day of the show no color filters were used on either projector, and both projectors had their gray scale recalibrated as close as possible. We have found that color filtering is not necessary with the TAW 800 but could be usefull for other crt projectors.

We used two different versions of the FE Quadscan during the show. The first day v. 2.10 was used, and we decided to remove it the next day due to the added filters of this version mainly for digital projectors. For Sat and Sun we used v. 2.05 which does not employ these filters and produced a much sharper image. John is correct about not getting the absolute focusing correct on the projector driven by the FE unit as we simply ran out of time to do any more adjustments.

The Digivision unit was only in place during the show on Sunday. It was not used to enhance the image in favor of the Quadscan. Dave just wanted to observe what the Digivision would do when coupled with a crt projector. The Digivision booth was right next to ours so we were genuinely curious about its performance.

So our intentions at the show were to demonstrate the TAW 800 projector and its price/performance capabilities. If you walked away thinking otherwise then maybe we need to rethink our marketing.

If anyone has other setup questions about this demo I will entertain them all so post away.

#28 ·
I know firsthand the limitations at these conventions, with regards to time...and other things, like this year's special day long group sauna. Everyone complained about no air-conditioning during setup,

Yea, no air conditioning was provided until the first open day of the show, and I came back from the show two pounds lighter. I was envious of the booths that had the portable ac systems such as McIntosh.

#30 ·
David,

They're getting closer to CRT's, but not yet. I'm still a big fan of proper blacks, even at the expense of blinding whites.

I was impressed by the D-ILA also.

I think Dwin and Seleco upped the ante in the single chip DLP category...but until I can get jiggy with 'em in my studio I need to withhold comment.

John

#31 ·
All,

Just a little more clarification on the set-up at the TAW/Focus Enhancements booth.

The Digivision unit was NOT, repeat, NOT used during the display on Sunday, or any other day, for that matter!!! I hooked the unit up on Saturday AFTER the show to do as Deniz said, to see what it could do on a CRT projector as they seem to work best on fixed pixel projectors. We did have it still in the rack on Sunday, but ONLY for the fine folks at Digivision who wanted to use our booth to show customers what it could do on a CRT if they asked. It was only put into the loop towards the very end of the show when their reps brought a few customers over. When we had customers of TAW/QUAD, we immediately removed it from the signal chain.

The Digivision unit IN NO WAY enhanced the Quadscan between the comparison of the two units. When it was in the loop, both units were being "Digivision enhanced".

We're sorry for any confusion this may have caused, but we were just trying to test another possible great product.

------------------

David M. Harper

Harper Home Theater Systems

[This message has been edited by DHarp193 (edited 09-18-2000).]

#32 ·
David,

All I can report is what I saw in person, and when I walked into the booth it was in the loop...split screen on both sides, and the only thing that could do that was Digivision. This was in the early afternoon on Sunday, if I remember correctly, probably around 2 o'clock.

I never said it was only on one, only that it wasn't an apples to apples comparison due to the Faroudja having to run at 960P. The explanation given to me was that scanning lines were seen on the Faroudja side. That obviously meant that the projectors were not identical and identically setup.

John

#33 ·
John,

You are absolutely correct http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif !!! We were showing the Digivision unit towards the end of the show to a few customers from "across the street", so it probably would have been about 2PM or so sincethe show closed at 3PM. I guess you were one of the "Lucky" ones to come in when we were helping them out http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif !!! Sorry if this made your experience less than ideal http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif .

The problem with the different scan rates of 720P and 960P was due to a problem that Deniz discovered after returning from CEDIA. Perhaps he can enlighten us on what he found???

I'd have to agree that it wasn't "apples to apples", but I think the Quadscan actually had the disadvantage being only at 720P, wouldn't you agree? I don't think we really intnded it to be a comparison, just a baseline to show that the Quad was a good value. The results actually surprised us as we've never done this direct comparison previously.

------------------

David M. Harper

Harper Home Theater Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.