Audio Sync Issue with HDMI Cable - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 51 Old 11-08-2009, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an Ilo (I think Toshiba is the mfr) TV from Walmart, about 2 years old. It is a 26" widescreen LCD HDTV with HDMI. I have a brand new JVC DVD recorder, DR-MV150B, and am having audio sync problems, only through HDMI. I run HDMI straight to the TV, as well as component cable. I also have an older DVD player attached via RCA cables. The sync issue is only with the HDMI. I have no home theater or any other components, besides my digital cable box (no DVR). I split the cable before the cable box, and run a direct line to the older DVD player. The line to the cable box then runs to the new DVD recorder, which is connected via both HDMI and component cable to the TV. With HDMI the volume is considerably louder, but about 1/2 sec. or less out of sync, and the picture is clearer yet darker.
My previous DVD recorder, a Panasonic without HDMI, had sync problems with component cable but not RCA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 11-21-2009, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Just purchased an Insignia NS-L46X-10A 120hz TV, amazing picture, but I am having the same AV sync problems which have been described in this thread.
I have been told that this model Insignia TV is made by LG.

Quote from WikipediA:

Examples of transmission broadcasting, reception and playback that can get the AV-sync incorrectly synchronized:

A video camera with built-in microphones or line-in may not delay sound and video paths by the same number of milliseconds. A video camera should have some sort of explicit AV-sync timing put into the video and audio streams. Solid state video cameras (e.g. CCD and CMOS image sensors) can delay the video signal by one or more frames.
An AV-stream may get corrupted during transmission because of electrical glitches (wired) or wireless interruptions - this may cause it to become out of sync. The AV-sync delay normally increases with time.
There is extensive use of audio and video signal processing circuitry with significant delays in television systems. Particular video signal processing circuitry which is widely used and contributes significant video delays include frame synchronizers, digital video effects processors, video noise reduction, format converters and MPEG pre-preprocessing.
The video monitor processing circuit may delay the video stream. Pixelated displays require video format conversion and deinterlace processing which can add one or more frames of video delay.
A video monitor with built-in speakers or line-out may not delay sound and video paths by the same amount of milliseconds. Some video monitors contain internal user-adjustable audio delays to aid in correction of errors
So is there a way to adjust the AV sync on this Insignia TV?

(BTW, unless you have a defective cable, the brand of HDMI cable which you use will not fix an AV sync problem)

EDIT:

If I listen to the audio directly from the Blu Ray player, through the analog RCA out jacks, while watching the TV using HDMI (and mute the TV audio signal), there is no longer an A/V sync problem. If I listen to the audio from the Blu-Ray AND the TV at the same time, I can hear the same words repeating more than once in an echo type manner.
This indicates that there is something within the circuitry of the TV itself that either delays or advances the audio signal to cause a synchronization problem. Stay away from this TV.

"If at first you don't succeed......reboot"
B630/B640/B650 Owners Manual
post #33 of 51 Old 12-03-2009, 11:29 AM

I just bought an LG 50PS30 and I am also having audio sync problems. I am connected with a BellExpressvu HD receiver with HDMI. Without thinking it could be the TV I called Bell with the problem and they sent me a new receiver. Same problem. Changed the HDMI cable, same. Changed connection to composite with RCA, same problem.

Finally googled the problem and found you guys. I called LG and they are sending a technician tomorrow. Asked for the firmware upgrade and guy told me they need to send a technician. Since I am not paying for this call I don't give a crap.

Will update you later with info from technician.
post #34 of 51 Old 12-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

It could be that the better engineered TV's auto detect different HDMI signals more accurately, and make the appropriate adjustments for A/V sync.
With my particular situation/anomaly, watching the Insignia 46" 120 Hz TV, I tried 4 different DVD/Blu-Ray players, which all ended up having the same A/V sync problems:
So it had to be a problem with the TV, and not the incoming HDMI signal.

post #35 of 51 Old 12-04-2009, 12:09 PM

Well the tech passed today and he doesn't have a clue so he ordered a new processor (he called it a brain). So we will see when the part comes in.

In the meantime I think I will do some tests over the weekend. I will try to plug RCA cables from receiver to amplifier to see if the sync problems comes from receiver.

Someone told me that it could even come from broadcasters themselves since the problem does not occur on all channels or for that matter even different shows on same channel.
post #36 of 51 Old 12-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Sometimes there are A/V sync problems from improper video encoding/software issues involving the original A/V file's themselves, which has nothing to do with hardware, and can cause "some" broadcasts from an otherwise properly working station to have A/V sync problems, but most of the problems I've seen described in this thread seem to indicate some sort of product defect, and in the case of the Insignia TV(manufactured by LG) I'm convinced of it.

post #37 of 51 Old 12-07-2009, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Just out of curiosity, are most 120Hz LG TVs having these A/V sync problems, or are these isolated incidents? I think I'm gonna make an attempt at contacting LG customer service and ask that question.

post #38 of 51 Old 12-07-2009, 11:48 AM

Travis, you might want to do some bypass tests first because in my case when plugging Audio from receiver to amplifier and from receiver to TV the audio synch problem is the same. So it is obvious that the TV is not the problem. But just for the fact that it seems that nobody except for the guys in the lab knows the service tech just send someone over. I contacted Bell and because they already replaced the receiver once they decided to send a tech. So this week I will have a tech from LG to change the processor and also a tech from Bell to do whatever.

BTW I found a way to bypass this problem. With a good Surround amplifier you are able to adjust the speakers based on distance. If you play around you will be able to fix the problem. Won't work however if problem is intermittent from one channel to the other.
post #39 of 51 Old 12-07-2009, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoud View Post

Travis, you might want to do some bypass tests first

I did. I bypassed the audio into the TV by listening to the audio out jacks of the Blu-ray player, muted the TV, and there was no A/V sync problem.
I tried this with 4 different DVD players, with the same exact results each time.The audio problem is definitely with the TV. Now if you completely bypass the TV audio, by connecting the DVD audio out RCA jacks directly to a receiver, you'll be able to eliminate the problem during DVD playback.........
But how will you explain the problem to the next guy that you want to sell the TV to when it's time to upgrade?

Edit: Believe it or not, I have a 2 year degree in electronics (not in TV repair) and there is nothing you could say to me to convince me that these TV's don't have A/V sync problems. If yours is still within the store return period, I'd return it. (unless you don't mind always having to use an external audio system, bypassing the Tv's sound, and not having the option to use the TV's own sound)

post #40 of 51 Old 12-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisBean View Post

The audio problem is definitely with the TV.

Not to say there aren't problems somewhere else within the system, in addition to the A/V sync problems caused by the TV.
e.g.
Poor video encoding from the source material.
An intermittent problem with the broadcast signal.
An improperly burned DVD.
Ect.. Ect... Ect......
(but then again, you're probably already aware of this)

post #41 of 51 Old 12-07-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisBean View Post

Not to say there aren't problems somewhere else within the system, in addition to the A/V sync problems caused by the TV.
e.g.
Poor video encoding from the source material.
An intermittent problem with the broadcast signal.
An improperly burned DVD.
Ect.. Ect... Ect......
(but then again, you're probably already aware of this)

I think we have both different problems. I agree with you in your case it is definitely the TV. So far in my case it seems to be the satellite receiver. However, if it ends up being the TV I will definitely return it. I just think that most of the people get fed up and live with it because they just can't figure it out.

I think companies modo now is "Why make it simple when you can make it so ****in' complicated"
post #42 of 51 Old 12-14-2009, 06:55 AM

Well, tech from Bell came and was completely puzzled. Called another tech and his head office to finally change again for the 3rd time the satellite receiver. Huge improvement.

Still got the problem but barely noticeable. Just a few channels now.

Still waiting for LG tech to come and do upgrade or change processor.

Still got DVD out of synch now.
post #43 of 51 Old 12-14-2009, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

I returned my LG manufactured Insignia NS-L46X-10A to Best Buy.
I replaced it with a Samsung LN52B630, and although the A/V sync is not perfect, when people speak, it no longer looks like overdubbed martial arts movies from the 70's!!

Edit: Sorry for gloating, I wish everyone else the best of luck resolving their problems.

post #44 of 51 Old 12-17-2009, 02:05 PM

I had the same problem with a Samsung 50" plasma- the audio was just a fraction ahead of the video if I ran the video to the TV with HDMI cable, turned off the TV sound, and ran the audio to the surround sound system with optical or RCA, either way. Samsung support helped: The problem is with the Digital Rights Management (DRM), curse the beast! HDMI cabling means that the signal goes through software that checks for authenticity. The audio output did not have this because the receiver doesn't have the software or the HDMI input. The time it took the TV to process the DRM resulted in the very slight but very annoying delay. Solution was to use the audio out from the TV to the receiver, BUT that eliminates 5.1 processing / surround sound. This is usually no big deal with TV audio output, but more and more programs are coming out with 5.1.
post #45 of 51 Old 12-30-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoud View Post

Well, tech from Bell came and was completely puzzled. Called another tech and his head office to finally change again for the 3rd time the satellite receiver. Huge improvement.

Still got the problem but barely noticeable. Just a few channels now.

Still waiting for LG tech to come and do upgrade or change processor.

Still got DVD out of synch now.

I have the same problem with my 42lh30... Are you still waiting the LG tech guy ?

Mathieu
post #46 of 51 Old 01-01-2010, 10:14 AM

LG tech passed and changed the motherboard. This didn't improve. He said that they are waiting for the update to come out to correct the problem. I will retest the whole thing going thru the audio of amplifier instead of tv to see if it changed anything. I really doubt it. As for Bell we switched for a third time the receiver but I really think that the problem is a combination of both satellite and TV.
post #47 of 51 Old 07-29-2010, 06:28 PM

My 47" LG LCD TV had the same audio sync issues. I was able to plug an internet cable into the TV and it automatically found and installed firmware updates. It went from version 3.7 up to 6.something. I then had to also update my LG blueray player the same way. It works perfectly now! Woot woot! I hope this helps ya'll still living with this issue.
post #48 of 51 Old 08-29-2010, 09:06 AM

Clay, I know this must have been a simple task for you - but could you please describe how you connected to a computer so that the tv sought the firmware update? My LG47 Infinia has a "dongle" internet connection, but we're not spending $80 for the dongle until we make sure this SECOND LG Infinia works.

I have a laptop on my wireless network. Can I run a cable from it to the tv? Ethernet? HDMI? How did the tv "let you know" it was searching for and updating the firmware?

We had to return the first LG Infinia because the tv kept losing video signal. (Yes, we tired all different kinds of cables/connections, refresh from cable company, different DVD player, everything the techs told us to do....) The second LG Infinia doesn't have that problem but the audio sync is terrible - sometimes at least two more words are heard after the person's mouth closes. It's a terrible viewing experience! We're not real happy with LG products.
post #49 of 51 Old 09-23-2011, 09:18 AM

hi i have an lg 550t 47" and i had sound lag so i went in to the service menu and in the i think in system 1 there is a lipsync adjust i adjusted this to -5 and its spot on now i guess this will work on most lg tvs just thought i would let you know
post #50 of 51 Old 05-30-2012, 05:58 PM

I have a 42LG30, and am interested in how to update the firmware. Lately, it has been losing signals for over the air (antenna) broadcasts. I imagine over the past 2 years I have owned this, it has been updated. If anybody has links and directions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
post #51 of 51 Old 11-15-2013, 03:07 PM

Equipment

• LG 42" LED TV (3 HDMI in, 1 Component/Composite in)
  • Pioneer Elite receiver circa 2001 (switches S-Video, Composite Video, and Component, but not HDMI)
  • Phillips BluRay player (HDMI and coax audio out)
  • Comcast cable box (HDMI out, Component out, optical audio out)
  • Boston Acoustics sound bar (optical from the TV)

I am having a similar problem: sound and video not sync'd.  In my case, HDMI from the cable box to the TV is fine when the sound is coming from the TV (sound bar).   HDMI from the BluRay to the TV is fine, even though the audio from the BluRay is sent via coax to a receiver and out to the 5.1 speakers.

The problem is seen when I connect the video from the cable box via component cables to the TV through the receiver. This is disturbing because this is the configuration for high-def surround sound movie watching of cable content.

The AV Sync control on the TV seems to be utterly ineffective, likely because it alters the timing of the audio, so when the sound is coming from the receiver it can't effect it.

My hypothesis is that the TV is slow at processing the component video, so the video is delayed relative to the audio from the same source.  I did get a TV firmware upgrade last night, but it did not seem to effect this problem.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page