Audio Sync Issue with HDMI Cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 51 Old 12-10-2006, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased an LG 37" LCD HDTV (37LC2D) that came with a 5.1 home theatre system (LH-T9654MB) and I'm having issues connecting the DVD player / receiver to the TV via an HDMI cable. When the HDMI cable is plugged in, it causes the audio not to be sync'ed with the video, regardless of the input I select. For example, if the HDMI cable is plugged in, if I switch on my Xbox 360 (which is running off of component cables for video and RCA for audio), the audio will be lagged, or if I switch on my digital cable box (component + RCA), the audio will still be lagged. The problem fixes itself, usually, if I turn the dvd player / receiver off and back on again - it will re-sync itself.

I've tried both a $140 Monster 400 HDMI cable and a $20 no-name HDMI cable from eBay, and both have the same issue. If I unplug the cable... no sync issues at all. So this would lead me to believe it's not the cable, but rather, either the connection on the TV or the connection on the dvd player / receiver.

Is this audio-sync issue normal with HDMI cables? Have you ever heard of this before? What could be causing the delay? Any help would be greatly appreciated .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 12-24-2006, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

*bump*
post #3 of 51 Old 01-01-2007, 08:46 PM

Hi,
I just got a 42LC2D and have noticed a similar audio problem. I had the LG and another TV hooked up to the same source (HD cable box). The LG audio lagged by 1/4 or 1/2 a second, creating an echo affect between the TVs. I am not using HDMI but the problem seems to be with any input (composite, component etc). You can try this yourself...run the audio out to a stereo AND to the TV and the TV will lag (at least mine does). This is troubling but not sure it is bad enough to return the set. It appears that the LG has an internal audio delay for its speakers? Turning on/off etc does not seem to fix my problem.
post #4 of 51 Old 01-26-2007, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Hmmm the only I/F I get a delay on is the HDMI.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or know of a solution?
post #5 of 51 Old 01-26-2007, 10:44 AM

weird...i have a 6$ 15foot hdmi cable and it works beatifully
post #6 of 51 Old 01-26-2007, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

And you have the same TV / receiver?
post #7 of 51 Old 01-27-2007, 10:32 PM

i have the exact same thing, i have audio delay on only some of the hd channels that i'm receiving through the cable box. if i sent the audio directly to the receiver then the audio is in sync, but if i send the audio to the tv and use the tv speakers, then it's out of sync. But this is only a problem with certain hd channels. it is connected with component video, no hdmi.
post #8 of 51 Old 01-28-2007, 03:38 AM

Liked: 11
Doesnt this have to do with the version of HDMI? I thought 1.1 was prone to lip sync issues. It was fixed in 1.2 or 1.3.
post #9 of 51 Old 01-28-2007, 07:20 AM

i'm not even using hdmi and i have the issue
post #10 of 51 Old 01-28-2007, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

It sounds like there is a bug/feature in the TV, where it "fixes" the lip sync issue by delaying sound when the source is HDMI (or something like that) -- only, it believes there's always HDMI when the connector is there. Maybe this is not at all the real reason, but I'd check with the tech support for your TV manufacturer if there is a firmware upgrade available.
post #11 of 51 Old 02-04-2007, 11:44 AM

jwatte... very anxious for your reply re. sync issue and 37lc2d
post #12 of 51 Old 02-04-2007, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, I don't know more than I posted about that specific issue.
post #13 of 51 Old 02-08-2007, 08:26 AM

Hey, I'm following this with great interest. A couple days ago I purchased the same setup for my mother's place. Yesterday i went over to check out this "issue" she was having, turns out to be the same as described below.

I've hooked the HDPVR box from Rogers, to the LG TV via component & RCA. Taken the audio out from the Rogers HDPVR and connected it to the LH-T9654MB via RCA into AV1. The LH-T9654MB is connected back to the TV via HDMI.

Depending on channel, there is clearly an audio delay when selecting AV1 and listening to the HDPVR through this system. No issue when using the built-in TV speakers.

So from what Mhaddy says below, If I connect the LH-T9654MB unit to the TV via component, and ditch the HDMI cable, I should have no audio-sync issue?? Will try tonight, any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhaddy View Post

I recently purchased an LG 37" LCD HDTV (37LC2D) that came with a 5.1 home theatre system (LH-T9654MB) and I'm having issues connecting the DVD player / receiver to the TV via an HDMI cable. When the HDMI cable is plugged in, it causes the audio not to be sync'ed with the video, regardless of the input I select. For example, if the HDMI cable is plugged in, if I switch on my Xbox 360 (which is running off of component cables for video and RCA for audio), the audio will be lagged, or if I switch on my digital cable box (component + RCA), the audio will still be lagged. The problem fixes itself, usually, if I turn the dvd player / receiver off and back on again - it will re-sync itself.

I've tried both a $140 Monster 400 HDMI cable and a $20 no-name HDMI cable from eBay, and both have the same issue. If I unplug the cable... no sync issues at all. So this would lead me to believe it's not the cable, but rather, either the connection on the TV or the connection on the dvd player / receiver.

Is this audio-sync issue normal with HDMI cables? Have you ever heard of this before? What could be causing the delay? Any help would be greatly appreciated .

post #14 of 51 Old 10-07-2008, 06:43 PM

Hey Guys,

I just bought a 42LG30 and I'm having the same issue as well. I swapped the cable box and even ran it through component and cable settings; it seems to only apply to the HDMI function. I even replaced the HDMI cord and tried the other input...no dice. This seems to be an LG issue and I'm fairly confident I'm going to have to swap this out for a new set or give up on LG all together. Shame because picture is quite nice. If anyone finds any quick fixes for this please post back.
post #15 of 51 Old 01-05-2009, 02:43 PM

LG 37LC7D connected via HDMI to Comcast DCT3416 HD DVR with lip-sync issue.

Audio is out of sync when going through HDMI cable and is in sync when using the compoent audio to a seperate audio system.

After several attempts to talk to someone who could speak english and bothered to really try to help me, finally talked to a service technician who is sending me a firmware fix for the audio sync issue. They would not make it available to me for download and are sending it to me on a usb stick. I should have it in 5-7 days and will try to re-post with the results.

If you want to try giving LG a call (800-243-0000) and refer to case # C09010579523 it might save you some time in explaining the issue, however if your LG is a different model the "fix" might be different.

STinGA
post #16 of 51 Old 01-12-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinga View Post

LG 37LC7D connected via HDMI to Comcast DCT3416 HD DVR with lip-sync issue.

Audio is out of sync when going through HDMI cable and is in sync when using the compoent audio to a seperate audio system.

After several attempts to talk to someone who could speak english and bothered to really try to help me, finally talked to a service technician who is sending me a firmware fix for the audio sync issue. They would not make it available to me for download and are sending it to me on a usb stick. I should have it in 5-7 days and will try to re-post with the results.

If you want to try giving LG a call (800-243-0000) and refer to case # C09010579523 it might save you some time in explaining the issue, however if your LG is a different model the "fix" might be different.

STinGA

Please update us asap. I just bought a 42lg30 and might have to return it due to audio sync problems with QAM. I emailed CS last night, but it's probably too late since I have 7 days left to return it. I'll try calling tomorrow when I get to a phone.
post #17 of 51 Old 01-25-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulinigo View Post

Please update us asap. I just bought a 42lg30 and might have to return it due to audio sync problems with QAM. I emailed CS last night, but it's probably too late since I have 7 days left to return it. I'll try calling tomorrow when I get to a phone.

UPDATE... I waited until the 15th of January and after not receiving the promised update, I called LG and was told that they needed additional information on the model number of my tv before they could send the fix to me. They had my phone number, so why didn't they call me?? Oh well, anyway, I provided them the additional information and they sent me a usb stick with an update on it. The update was "homefs-37LC7D-UB-RELEASE-0x0306.pak". Had to wait an additional 2 weeks for it, hence the long delay before getting back to post this information.

I applied the update (after discovering that the update file has to be in the root and not in a folder on the usb stick) and I can tell no appreciable difference in the lip-sync problem. I emailed LG at the persons address listed at the bottom of the update instructions thinking that I would be lucky to get any reply (especially since it was on a weekend), but within 30 minutes my telephone rang and it was the LG technician! The technician quizzed me about my setup and whether the update did apply and the tv reset. Everything was done according to their instructions but the lip-sync issue still is there. The technician is going back to engineering to see if there is anything else that can be done to fix the problem. One comment that the technician made was that there have been some issues with particular Motorola DVR devices, one of which matches the model that I have from Comcast (DCH3416).

That's it for now. Sorry for the long post. I will post again if there are any future developments, especially if there ends up being a resolution.
post #18 of 51 Old 02-05-2009, 04:44 AM

I got 3 42LG30's yesterday, all with audio sync problems. Called customer service and told them to send me the updated firmware. After verifying that the TV's weren't stolen (had to provide serial number, who I bought them from, and date of purchase) I was told they would send me a USB key with the updated firmware. I should receive it within a week or 2 they said. Audio lag is bad on OTA antenna and RCA cables from cable box (don't have my HD box yet). But HMDI from AppleTV and DVD player has no lagging. Will post more after I get the firmware.
post #19 of 51 Old 02-05-2009, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhaddy View Post

Just a thought, is it possible your receiver is doing some sort of video processing over HDMI that it is not doing over analog cables? Excessive processing may be the cause of your sync issues. try disabling any noise reduction or upsampling over hdmi or whatever, see if the sync improves...
post #20 of 51 Old 02-19-2009, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This stinks I was looking at this TV and thinking about buying it but now with these issues I wouldn't touch this TV at all!
post #21 of 51 Old 06-07-2009, 11:59 AM

Back in November of 2008, I purchased a 42LG30 from Best Buy (it came with a sweet bundle deal with an LG 5.1 surround sound DVD/stereo). I have always had problems with audio synch issues using both HDMI and Component cables with the TV. There is signifcant delay with my cable/dvr box, Wii and PS2. If I run audio directly from the cable box to the stereo (and bypass the TV), then I have no noticeable delay issues, however the video game systems continue to have delay issues. I only have one digital audio input on the stereo, so it's much more convenient to run everything into the TV and take the 1 digital output from the TV and run it to the stereo.

Anyway, about 2 weeks ago, I called up LG and explained the issue to them, and they said they've had numerous complaints with this issue and said they'd send out a software update on a USB Drive right away. It showed up about a week later, but unfortunately would not work with the TV. The USB input on the TV says "service only" (unlike the more expensive models, I can't view pictures and such with the USB input on this particular TV). I emailed them back and explained the problem and within about 3 days another USB Drive showed up in the mail...same problem.

I don't know what to do at this point, but I thought I'd share that I had the same problem as other posters, and tried to fix it as some of the other posters had done with no success. I'm still waiting to hear back from LG about the latest failure...if it ever gets fixed, I'll report back.
post #22 of 51 Old 06-08-2009, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Never put a display between your audio source and your audio system. (AVR)
post #23 of 51 Old 06-08-2009, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

This definitely sounds like a processing issue. The TV is having problems processing the digital audio signal and getting it out the speakers fast enough. Are you guys using DVR cable boxes? Well, I guess that wouldn't matter if you are seeing it on different sources. (Sorry, thinking outloud here).

Its definitely an issue with processing the audio, especially if a receiver makes most of the problem go away. Don't a lot of receivers even have a delay setting where you can line up the audio/video better that you are pushing through it? I suspect the software and processing inside the LG just isn't handling it appropriately.

I'm curious to know if guys with other brand flat panels are having the same issues.

Why are you using the TV speakers again?

The above is merely one person's opinion and is probably worth as much as you paid for it.
My Basement HT/Family Hang Out
post #24 of 51 Old 06-12-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdeuce View Post

This definitely sounds like a processing issue. The TV is having problems processing the digital audio signal and getting it out the speakers fast enough. Are you guys using DVR cable boxes? Well, I guess that wouldn't matter if you are seeing it on different sources. (Sorry, thinking outloud here).

Its definitely an issue with processing the audio, especially if a receiver makes most of the problem go away. Don't a lot of receivers even have a delay setting where you can line up the audio/video better that you are pushing through it? I suspect the software and processing inside the LG just isn't handling it appropriately.

I'm curious to know if guys with other brand flat panels are having the same issues.

Why are you using the TV speakers again?

The issue is, I want 3 sources to have their audio run through the stereo, and I only have 1 Digital Input. So, my solution was to run all 3 sources into the TV, and then run one output from the TV to the stereo. What I really need is a new stereo, but since that's not going to happen, I'm sort of stuck. I can run the audio directly from the DVR Cable box to the stereo and avoid delay issues with television channels, but then my consoles will not be able to utilize the stereo.

And unfortunately, the DVR box that I have only allows me to delay the audio signal...which would serve to only make the problem worse.
post #25 of 51 Old 06-12-2009, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Are they all the same type of connection? What about using splitters in reverse? They should work both ways. I would think you would just have to be careful of having more than one unit on at a time. Otherwise, you should be able to feed all the signals into one wire.

The other option would be to get a little switchbox for those signals. They have switchboxes that take all sorts of inputs. You could use that, in conjunction with your receiver, to select what you want to hear/see.

There's definitely a way to figure this out and to not use the TV for anything other than displaying your picture.

The above is merely one person's opinion and is probably worth as much as you paid for it.
post #26 of 51 Old 06-12-2009, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

post #27 of 51 Old 06-13-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:

Quick google search result:

Thanks for those. The DVR uses a Digital Optical output, the Wii uses Stereo ouput, and the PS2 can do either one (it's currently using a stereo output). So, what I might try doing is getting one of these cheaper splitters and using the Digital Optical output on the PS2, so the DVR and PS2 can have the best audio sharing the one Digital Optical input on the receiver, and then run extension cables on the Wii and run that directly to the single stereo input on the receiver. And then I can bypass the TV with everything.
post #28 of 51 Old 06-14-2009, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

They have some A/V splitters with digital and analog hook ups. Do a little more searching and I bet you can find the one you want. I do think this is a better idea than futzing with going through the TV.

post #29 of 51 Old 06-22-2009, 06:03 AM

Quote:

They have some A/V splitters with digital and analog hook ups. Do a little more searching and I bet you can find the one you want. I do think this is a better idea than futzing with going through the TV.

For about $25, I was able to purchase a Selector Switch, a couple extra optical cables and a Jack to Jack adaptor for my RCA cable, and it fixed the problem. Since there is one Digital and one Analog input on my receiver, I used the selector switch to run both my Cable Box and PS2 into the same input, and then I used the Jack to Jack adaptor to run the RCA audio from the Wii through an extension cable (which I already owned) into the analog input.

This way I could just avoid the TV audio altogether, and it solved all of the synch issues. Thanks for the all the input. For anyone else running into this problem with this TV, this is what I recommend!
post #30 of 51 Old 06-22-2009, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hags888 View Post

For about $25, I was able to purchase a Selector Switch, a couple extra optical cables and a Jack to Jack adaptor for my RCA cable, and it fixed the problem. Since there is one Digital and one Analog input on my receiver, I used the selector switch to run both my Cable Box and PS2 into the same input, and then I used the Jack to Jack adaptor to run the RCA audio from the Wii through an extension cable (which I already owned) into the analog input.

This way I could just avoid the TV audio altogether, and it solved all of the synch issues. Thanks for the all the input. For anyone else running into this problem with this TV, this is what I recommend!

Good to hear. Glad that worked out. And yes, to anyone else with this problem, use the TV for what's it meant to be used for...displaying video.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms