Signal Distribution Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-07-2007, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys!

Just wanted to start by saying this site has been great in helping me get my Home Theater up and running. The information available here is simply amazing!!

That being said I have a problem and I can't find an answer in the forums anywhere.

I have a system set up where my DirectTV receiver is in the basement and I take the output from that receiver and distribute it throughout the house (4 TV's). I have an IR repeater system (Xantech Xtra Link) that runs through the coax so I can control the receiver in the basement from any TV in the house.

While the signal is GREAT on the two TV's close to the basement receiver, the two other TV's that are farther away get fuzzy.

I think, from everything I have read, I should be able to help this by installing a line amplifier between the Direct TV receiver OUTPUT and the four coax lines that run to the TV's.

The first question is does this sound correct, or am I missing something? The second question is because I am just sending a signal to all the TV's on just channel 3 should I get a special amplifier that would just focus on this one channel, or will any in line amplifier work? The last question is because I am using the Xtra Link that has to pass signals back down the coax will an amplifier block that signal, or are they two way?

Any help you guys can give me would be SOOOOO appreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-09-2007, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not sure about the IR repeater, as my Dish Network boxes have RF remotes, but I use an inline amp to get rid of the fuzzy signal on the TVs upstairs. My setup is like this:

In the basement I have a dual turner box that outputs on channel 40 and 50 on the same piece of coax. I have a single turner that outputs on channel 3. I use a 2-way combiner (spliter) to combine the signal onto one piece of coax. That is pluged into my 1x4 inline amp that distributes the signal to the four TVs upstairs.

It works great.

Here is a link to the amp I use
Channel Master Amps

It looks like the multi set amps have a return path, so your IR repeater should work
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page