Finally got my projector ceiling mounted, but... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-28-2007, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I finally got my HD1000U and I love it. Today I got it ceiling mounted and noticed a problem. Recently, I had a ground loop issue and I bought all new cabling for everything and a new surge protector and it went away. Well, when I got the projector ceiling mounted, the loop problem came back and worse! The only thing that is different is that the projector is plugged into a different outlet than it was yesterday (the last time I used the projector and there was no ground loop issue. Could the outlet I now have the projector plugged into be the source of my problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-28-2007, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes. Every connection between components and every power connection creates a potential loop for for hum. Ideally the grounding connections for every power circuit and every outlet box are tied together at the service panel and have the same path to the grounding rod. But in real life this is not quite true.

Immediate first aid consists of ensuring that you have a good grounding connection from the power receptacle for the projector. You can buy simple and cheap checkers at almost any hardware store. After that read the Hum FAQ, and start the hunt.

If the projector has a three prong plug, do not use a cheater plug or cut off the ground prong to lift the ground. This might take care of the hum but is dangerous to the health of users.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
-Bertrand Russell
post #3 of 6 Old 01-28-2007, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Would another viable option be just buying an extension to hook it into the outlet it was originally in? I wouldn't need that long of an extension cord and I already have a wire channel run that I could put the extension cord in.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-28-2007, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcoffeeburns View Post

Would another viable option be just buying an extension to hook it into the outlet it was originally in? I wouldn't need that long of an extension cord and I already have a wire channel run that I could put the extension cord in.

Try it outside the channel first. If it works- great!

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
-Bertrand Russell
post #5 of 6 Old 01-28-2007, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
You can try a balanced power conditioner, which may eliminate not only the hum, but the higher-frequency modes that the power supply of the projector may send back the circuit.

I think the Transcendent Sound unit seems like a cost-effective solution, especially if you get the kit and put it together yourself.

You can also try connecting the grounding between the two circuits, although I think the NEC might not allow that (it should be perfectly safe, though).
post #6 of 6 Old 01-28-2007, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekguy View Post

Try it outside the channel first. If it works- great!

Went and bought an extension, ran it down the wall into the original socket, WORKS GREAT! Thanks!
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page