Switcher for 2 Component Video In/1 Component Video Out? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-31-2000, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I need to find a switcher which accepts two sets of component video inputs and outputs one set of component video with the ability to deal with the high bandwidth of HDTV.

I have a Sony VPL-W400Q LCD projector which only has one set of component video inputs.
Through using a switcher, I'd like to connect both my DVD player and HDTV DSS STB to the projector via component video.

I've heard reports that there can be a problem running an HDTV signal through an audio/video receiver to perform component video switching in that many, if not all, of the a/v receivers were designed with DVD in mind (not HDTV) and I guess can't handle the bandwidth of HDTV.

So if anyone knows of a switcher to accept 2 sets of component video inputs and output 1 set of component video with HDTV capability, I'd love to hear about it. It would be nice if it dealt with infrared signals but manual will do too.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-01-2000, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you get the right cables and connectors you can perhaps (Im guestimating so check this) use a pc monitor switch box. how so? get 3 break out cables that is the pc connector on one side, and bnc connectors on the other. get convertors that are bnc to rca male and stick those on the green wire for Y and the blue wire for pb and the red wire for pr. plug the break out part+bnc-rca male deal into the dvd player and the pc part into the switcher, do this for the hdtv stb and do this to the sony fptv (perhaps it has a pc type input that can be configured for component). I dont know how much this will cost but it might be cost effective. I think it would work because youre just carrying signals on certain wires. so long as those wires remain constant you should be a-ok http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

- Jerry
post #3 of 9 Old 02-01-2000, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Diamond Bar Calif USA 91765 / Seattle area WA 98512
You can use a Extron switcher it doesnt matter what your trying to pass as a signal a SW2ar would work, its a RGBHV switcher but as long as you hook the input the same as the output it will work, this has BNCs.Bandwidth is 350
post #4 of 9 Old 02-03-2000, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

I have a Sharp set top box and a 400Q and use the $50 Sony S Video switcher, with RCA to BNC adapters. The switcher has 4 inputs and one output. Cheap and cheerful but works perfectly. Video signals go through the "audio" jacks just fine.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-03-2000, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Norde: are you running HDTV signals through it? That seems to be the problem for some people where they say the HDTV signal is unwatchable due to its high bandwith which some devices don't have the capacity to deal with.

Any idea the pricing or dealers for the Extron switcher mentioned??
post #6 of 9 Old 02-03-2000, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

Yes. The HDTV, over the air, I don't have DSS, is indistinguishable from a direct hook-up to the 400Q. I switch it between the Sharp DTV tuner and a Sony 7700 DVD player component output. There are several threads on this method in the 400Q forum at The Big Picture. I wrote a detailed write up there. Search for Sony S Video in the archives.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-04-2000, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Norde: do you have a model # or dealer for the Sony s-video switcher you're talking about? Thanks.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-04-2000, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Doug: do you know the pricing on the Extron SW2ar? I checked their website to find dealers of pricing but the Dealers link on their website isn't working. Thanks for the great suggestion it sounds like it will work great for what I need.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-06-2000, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Wynswrld:

The Sony part is called an "AV Selector" and the part # is SB-V40S.

You can get them at the Good Guys, but a search on the internet should come up with a better price. Try jandr music world
Closed Thread General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page