How far should I mount the projector away from the screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 04-30-2007, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The room is 24' x 30', the screen will be on the 24' wall. I want to run a raceway from the equipment and the projector in the ceiling as well as install an outlet for the projector and I wanted to know what distance from the screen to the projector should be.

How long are the power cords on the projectors?

What size raceways are people using?
I don't have the equipment yet, but I am hopeful on keeping the number of wires going to the projector to a minimum.

Thanks,
Eric

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-30-2007, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
It is going to depend on what projector you are using and what size screen you intend to have.

McCall
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Yup that really IS me in the avatar.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...he+Mickelodeon
post #3 of 18 Old 04-30-2007, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

The answer to your question will vary substantially with screen size and the projector
you choose.

Try looking here once you have a few candidates in mind and a rough idea of the
size screen you want

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...ulator-pro.cfm

Brian
post #4 of 18 Old 04-30-2007, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like I'll have to figure out where the seating will be.

If there are two rows of seating do you think that the projector could be behind the 1st row and infront of the 2nd row with out it bothering the people in the 2nd row? The ceilings are about 8'8".

Also where can I find info on a screen and projector that will retract into the ceiling so you can not see it when in use?

Thanks,
Eric

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool.
post #5 of 18 Old 04-30-2007, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Look on the screen section of the forum. Keep in mind that the projector makes noise, some more than others. So where it is in relation to your seating may be a question. also how high will your riser be? that would also affect where you might want to mount the projector as well.

McCall
post #6 of 18 Old 04-30-2007, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCall View Post

Look on the screen section of the forum. Keep in mind that the projector makes noise, some more than others. So where it is in relation to your seating may be a question. also how high will your riser be? that would also affect where you might want to mount the projector as well.

I'll look in the screen section, thanks.

Since this is not a dedicated HT room there will not be a riser for the 2nd row and the 1st row will have to recline their seats. Will this cause a big problem with 2nd row viewing?

The seating will be around 12-15' from the screen.

post #7 of 18 Old 05-01-2007, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

If you are looking at a projector lift you might start here:

http://www.draperinc.com/Lifts_Mount...ctor_Lifts.htm

However, these are not cheap. You could easily spend $3k before installation.

What is you approximate budget for your pj and screen.

Brian
post #8 of 18 Old 05-01-2007, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

While the answer today certainly depends on what size screen he has and more importantly what projector he gets, he's looking to do wiring once. The projector he buys now will most likely not be the projector he's using in 5 years. And the projector he buys in 5 years will most likely not be used in 10 years.

IMO, it's crazy to install a ceiling outlet for a specific projector's throw distance as the next projector's throw distance could be completely different.

What I did in my situation is install one outlet 10 feet back and another outlet 15 feet back. I figured with this setup, I could easily install any projector with a throw distance of anywhere from 7 feet to 18 feet with at most a 3 foot cord run on the ceiling. I really doubt the panny ax100 I have today will be the same projector I'm running 3 years from now. Probably even within 2 years I'll have upgraded. I fully expect to continue using my outlet at 15 feet back, but if I find a great projector with a really short throw, I'm ready.

post #9 of 18 Old 05-01-2007, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

This is my in-laws house and I am working on it for them. They have not put much thought in the HT part of of the room so I am trying to take care of that part of it.

I don't think that they will go for the retractable projector mount (due to its high cost), but I know that they really want a retractable screen.

They will not be using it as much as other areas of the house, they are also not the type to buy a projector and replace it within 10 years.

I think that I will place 2 outlets in the ceiling for the projector so I will be covered there.

What are people doing for the Video cables as far as getting them to the projector? What kind of raceways and boxes are they using? Some pics would be really helpful if anyone has any.

Thanks,
Eric

post #10 of 18 Old 05-01-2007, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

one of the best ways to run the cables is placing conduit in the ceiling, but it does not sound like you can do that, if you do though run not just the cables for now but also your pull through wires for any possible future additions.
There are tracks and channels available but none of them look all that great, but I guess it is the lesser evil in your case.

McCall
post #11 of 18 Old 05-01-2007, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

I was lucky enough to be able to run conduit. I ran conduit to the outlet 15 feet back. I should have run an additional conduit next to the outlet 10 feet back as well.

post #12 of 18 Old 05-01-2007, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

one of the best ways to run the cables is placing conduit in the ceiling, but it does not sound like you can do that, if you do though run not just the cables for now but also your pull through wires for any possible future additions.
There are tracks and channels available but none of them look all that great, but I guess it is the lesser evil in your case.

This is new construction and it is on the 2nd (top) floor so I will be able to run conduit. What kind/size are people using? Do they just run it to a 1 or 2 gang junction box?

post #13 of 18 Old 05-01-2007, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

We just ran 2" plastic conduit that simply ends at the hush box, but that is because we have an enclosure around the whole projector are, our conduit actually runs through the soffits as well, so if yours is open then your main concer would be finding a way to finish off the end of the conduit run. I have see things like the surround of a can light used as well with the wires just coming out of it to the projector.

McCall
post #14 of 18 Old 05-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bqmeister View Post

While the answer today certainly depends on what size screen he has and more importantly what projector he gets, he's looking to do wiring once. The projector he buys now will most likely not be the projector he's using in 5 years. And the projector he buys in 5 years will most likely not be used in 10 years.

IMO, it's crazy to install a ceiling outlet for a specific projector's throw distance as the next projector's throw distance could be completely different.

What I did in my situation is install one outlet 10 feet back and another outlet 15 feet back. I figured with this setup, I could easily install any projector with a throw distance of anywhere from 7 feet to 18 feet with at most a 3 foot cord run on the ceiling. I really doubt the panny ax100 I have today will be the same projector I'm running 3 years from now. Probably even within 2 years I'll have upgraded. I fully expect to continue using my outlet at 15 feet back, but if I find a great projector with a really short throw, I'm ready.

bqmeister is of course correct. However, the trend is definitely towards
more flexibility in installations with larger zoom ranges. Moreover, the size of screen you want will be important in where you put the outlets. If you go
with a recessed screen (electric or pulldown) you won't likely want to change it often. Given the size of your room, if the budget allows for a 1080p pj ($3K-6K provides lots of choice) then you could easily go with a 120" + screen which would work well with you seating. Any of the main contenders could be placed from 15' to 20' from the screen and this will almost surely be true of many future pj's. If you want a smaller screen such as a 92" you will want to move everything closer. There are many 720p pj's that could also work for this size if you are not
too sensitive to screen door effect.

You mention that this is not a dedicated space. Will it have good light control?
This will also impact the size (and type) of screen you get.

You don't have to know the exact pj and screen you want before
doing the wiring but it would help to have a ballpark idea.

Remember, you also have to plan on getting video to the pj so this
should also be done while you have access.

Brian
post #15 of 18 Old 05-01-2007, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

This is new construction and it is on the 2nd (top) floor so I will be able to run conduit. What kind/size are people using? Do they just run it to a 1 or 2 gang junction box?

I ran 1 1/2 inch conduit. I did two runs. The runs started at the same location from a 2 gang box. Each run (one ceiling, one sidewall) ends in a 1 gang box.

It was VERY difficult to pull through hdmi & component through this conduit. Since you're using a projector, your runs are probably long (35+ feet) so you'll want decent guage wire (thicker).

I'd really try to get 2 inch conduit if at all possible.

post #16 of 18 Old 05-01-2007, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

We just ran 2" plastic conduit that simply ends at the hush box, but that is because we have an enclosure around the whole projector are, our conduit actually runs through the soffits as well, so if yours is open then your main concer would be finding a way to finish off the end of the conduit run. I have see things like the surround of a can light used as well with the wires just coming out of it to the projector.

How much space of that 2" are you using?

I can run a conduit to a bigger junction box and have a decortive cover on the box.

I take it the Hush Box is where the projector sits, what do I have to do to accomidate this now. Would the other option be to just have a pole mount.

Thanks,
Eric

post #17 of 18 Old 05-01-2007, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler View Post

bqmeister is of course correct. However, the trend is definitely towards
more flexibility in installations with larger zoom ranges. Moreover, the size of screen you want will be important in where you put the outlets. If you go
with a recessed screen (electric or pulldown) you won't likely want to change it often. Given the size of your room, if the budget allows for a 1080p pj ($3K-6K provides lots of choice) then you could easily go with a 120" + screen which would work well with you seating. Any of the main contenders could be placed from 15' to 20' from the screen and this will almost surely be true of many future pj's. If you want a smaller screen such as a 92" you will want to move everything closer. There are many 720p pj's that could also work for this size if you are not
too sensitive to screen door effect.

You mention that this is not a dedicated space. Will it have good light control?
This will also impact the size (and type) of screen you get.

You don't have to know the exact pj and screen you want before
doing the wiring but it would help to have a ballpark idea.

Remember, you also have to plan on getting video to the pj so this
should also be done while you have access.

There will be very heavy cuirtians over the windows and doors, so light should not be an issue.

post #18 of 18 Old 05-01-2007, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Well I just spoke with my father in law and he is saying that he wants a motorized screen and projector that come from the ceiling, I told him that that stuff wasn't cheap and his response was "We are only going to do it once". Basically he won't upgrade so he wants nice things to start with and not worry about it later.

He knows of a place that he can get wholesale prices, are there any models that we should keep an eye on/stay away from?

If I can rember I'll bring my camera and take some shots of the room.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms