How can I hide stereo equipment? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-07-2007, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been searching and reading articles and forums trying to figure out how to hide the equipment to my tv.

I have a 42" lcd on a low profile wall mount. I want to eliminate putting a shelf or entertainment unit under it on the ground.
I only need to hook up a receiver, dvd player and cable box. I would be using 2 hdmi connections, and some component connections.

There is a closet behind the tv about 2 feet over. Running the wires to the tv from there would be pretty easy.

The end result I am looking for is that the only things I want to see on the tv wall are the tv and the center channel speaker. Should that go above or below the tv. It is kinda deep, so I think below will look nicer. I imagine sound should be good either way. Currently I have two freestanding front speakers that will sit on the ground until I replace them with something that mounts on the wall.

A few things that come up are:
1. If those units are in an enclosed closet, will heat build up become a problem? (I don't watch that much tv yet, but maybe when the tv is on the wall I will.)

2. How can I use the remotes if all the components are hidden. I have seen some components that I can use to change the rf signal to radio to control the dvd, receiver and cable box, but I can't figure out if that will work well or not.

3. worst case, if I have to put shelves under the tv, does anybody know of any good ideas that minimize the look of it, like glass shelves that can support that kind of weight?

4. I can run electrical anywhere I need to so that won't be an issue. But I am trying to keep the equipment close to keep cable connections short.

There is a basement below that I can access the ceiling of below this room and a finished second floor above that I can not access the floor through.

I am not sure if this is enough info to get help, but I really would appreciate it.
I just finished repainting and refinished the wood floors in my living room and can't wait to hang the tv, today or tomorrow.
It is not a dedicated theater room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-07-2007, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
1. With just those pieces in the closet, heat shouldn't be an issue.
2. A hardwired IR repeater system will take care of that. They use a cat5 cable connected to an IR target by the tv to a connector block and IR emitters in the closet.
3. Glass shelves would be no problem, but I like the idea of hidden components better.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-07-2007, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, I will will look into IR repeaters now.
I really am excited that the components will be hidden.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-07-2007, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
In the last post in this thread, I have links to the parts I used for the repeater system in my media room.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-07-2007, 10:24 AM

From your description, I think the Logitec Harmony 890 right out of the box would do the trick. It includes an RF remote and IR repeaters for the closet.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-11-2007, 10:43 AM

That is a pretty cool remote. I was thinking about putting my components in a closet that will be in rear left corner of the media room. Anybody have one of these? Anyone found a better price than the $399 MSRP?
post #7 of 9 Old 08-12-2007, 08:59 PM

http://www.buy.com/prod/microsmith-h...202024847.html

$80. Hot Link Pro. Has everything you need and works with whatever IR remotes you have.

-Tim
post #8 of 9 Old 08-13-2007, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Hate to disagree but if it is a small closet then heat WILL become a factor. Multi channel receivers and cable boxes can generate fierce amount of btu's. I'd strongly recommend making allowances for a fan system.

"Did you make 'em fine-ass-soundin' speakers over there what would sound gooder than hell comin' out of the back of my truck-boat-truck?"

-Early Cuyler. Poet Liquoreate
post #9 of 9 Old 08-21-2007, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the input everyone. I ended up getting the Hot Link Pro. I have to say, that thing is amazing. It works better than when the components were in the same room.
If I need to cool the closet, that will be pretty easy, so I will just keep an eye on it to find out.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page