post #271 of 1625 Old 06-19-2009, 10:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

So, apparently I do not have a sump pump but just a sewage pump (which I am assuming is the same as an ejector pump). Should I still be buying a battery back-up for that?

Don't bother. In my old ejector pump, you could get 3-5 flushes in before the pump ejected. Just don't use your basement bathroom during a power outage.

You might consider adding a sump pit with a primary and secondary sump pump. I am debating the same thing, and will most likely do it. It will mean cutting the foundation and digging out the pit, then plumbing the pump out of the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1625 Old 06-19-2009, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

Don't bother. In my old ejector pump, you could get 3-5 flushes in before the pump ejected. Just don't use your basement bathroom during a power outage.

You might consider adding a sump pit with a primary and secondary sump pump. I am debating the same thing, and will most likely do it. It will mean cutting the foundation and digging out the pit, then plumbing the pump out of the house.

Upon further questioning of my parents (who live in the next town over) I've learned that we live on high ground so none of the houses around here have sump pumps. Learn something new everyday . I've only lived here for nearly seven years now (my mom says I'm pathetic).
post #273 of 1625 Old 06-23-2009, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Hope everyone had a good weekend, and for you Dad's a relaxing weekend.

For me;
I hit it hard on Saturday - including the installation of my glass doors for the Eq. and media racks. Then rebuilt my sump pump pit with new plumbing and new primary and backup pumps.

For the final phase of my build: Whenever possible I will provide photo updates by showing the best before and after photos I can find, so here goes:

The Eq and media storage area , Before:

And After:

The glass is 1/4" tempered dark tint glass.

And the Sump Pit Before:

And After (Sorry about the Pet Fence note - this is simply the Emily Post version of etiquette training for canines)

Talk about a mess I inherited from the previous owner; I knew I had a non-working back up. What I didn't know was that there were 1.5 dead backup pumps in this pit. There were 3 pumps total in this hole, a second one backup with the float cut off - unbelievable shortcuts one finds!

Then on Sunday I had one of my F-Day guests drive me to the local Menards with a pickup for about $700.00 worth of paneling (wainscoting) and hopefully enough trim to finish the basement. Then cold ones, family, and the BBQ - A Good Day!!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #274 of 1625 Old 06-23-2009, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Good on ya, mate!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #275 of 1625 Old 06-23-2009, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

Good on ya, mate!

Hanes,

I assume you had a good father's Day.? Stay tuned my next photo will be a "Hanes moment"

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #276 of 1625 Old 06-23-2009, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Hanes,
Stay tuned my next photo will be a "Hanes moment"

Nice progress cuz! "Hanes moment"...uh oh .
post #277 of 1625 Old 06-23-2009, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nice progress cuz! "Hanes moment"...uh oh .

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #278 of 1625 Old 06-24-2009, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK; these next photos are for Hanes and for those of us that are: OCD planners, procrastinators, or simply "trophy husbands" that take their time with their builds.

I believe in the East (VA), they might refer to these individuals as "Logan types", or people who participate in some unofficial contest titled "get loganed".

I would like to propose that it is time to add a Central States contest titled "Get Hanesed", or perhaps "Get wedgied". An appropriate logo might include a photo of a pile of lumber slowly waiting to get processed....

My own, next big (almost final) step will eventually include: preppping, routing, sanding, and staining the wainscoting materials and trim for my final push.
Therefore I might suggest the "Hanes Meter", it is important not too rush into these next steps. However; progress can eventually be measured by checking the height of the piles on the left and comparing to the height of the piles on the right:

And of course in some future month (to be determined) one might have actually end up with a pile of "finished" lumber on the right that is fully seasoned, of the appropriate color, and ready to be made into wainscoting and trim?

And Most Important - DO NOT RUSH THE SEASONING process - it is very important to take your time, and ask yourself the questions:

1) I could go to the basement or garage and work....?, OR
2) I could revisit my cold beverage and contemplate how best to proceed...?

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #279 of 1625 Old 06-25-2009, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Now that's what I'm talkin' about - proof of progress by wood pile picture status!! Perfect for us illiterate types to grasp!

I'm not sure the AVS world could handle a Midwestern version of being Loganed, but a "Hanes Meter"? Or Hanesometer perhaps? Hmmmm ....

You just might be onto something there, my friend. Do you reckon there would be huge royalties involved?! Maybe even a made for TV movie? Or should I keep my day job for a while longer, just to be safe?

Must run, but let's do lunch sometime!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #280 of 1625 Old 06-25-2009, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hanes,

You are welcome to 60% of the royalties (for naming rights)!!
As for lunch - I think I messed up and missed an opportunity >> I was in your fair city last week. Flew in on Monday, spent Tuesday in Brooklyn Center, and back home last Wednesday.

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #281 of 1625 Old 06-25-2009, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hanes,
As for lunch - I think I messed up and missed an opportunity >> I was in your fair city last week. Flew in on Monday, spent Tuesday in Brooklyn Center, and back home last Wednesday.

You missed a once-in-a-lifetime chance to see a pile of wood in the garage. You'll be kicking yourself even on your deathbed for that missed opportunity ...

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #282 of 1625 Old 06-25-2009, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

Now that's what I'm talkin' about - proof of progress by wood pile picture status!! Perfect for us illiterate types to grasp!

I'm not sure the AVS world could handle a Midwestern version of being Loganed, but a "Hanes Meter"? Or Hanesometer perhaps? Hmmmm ....

You just might be onto something there, my friend. Do you reckon there would be huge royalties involved?! Maybe even a made for TV movie? Or should I keep my day job for a while longer, just to be safe?

Must run, but let's do lunch sometime!

If there is anyone here at AVS that can recognize a pile (of lumber) it is definitely you. You certainly have the experience. I vote for the Hanesometer moniker if it is going that way.

@ cuzed,

You won't regret the purchase of the backup. Mine certainly helps me sleep easier at night as my drain tile is seemingly always active even during dry months. It is not cheap, but IMO it is well worth the money and piece of mind.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #283 of 1625 Old 06-25-2009, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

cuzed,

You won't regret the purchase of the backup. Mine certainly helps me sleep easier at night as my drain tile is seemingly always active even during dry months. It is not cheap, but IMO it is well worth the money and piece of mind.

Regards,

RTROSE

Thanks , I also have some fairly inexpensive "water leak detectors" that I will be installing. If they sense water they will sound an audible alarm and will dial a preselected emergency phone number ("Big" recomended the product, less than $100.00).

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #284 of 1625 Old 06-29-2009, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A progress bump to stay out of the archives:

Not much that photographs very well. Attacked the woodpile in the garage over the weekend. Stained about 1/3 of the trim-work, and ripped (and sanded) the plywood into 42" heights for the wainscoting. Rest of the weekend was planning, a neighborhood party, and dining with friends

Next up > tonight will be to stain the remainder of the wainscot plywood (I hate staining) really need to get this step behind me

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #285 of 1625 Old 06-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Been a while since I posted on your thread Cuz, but it's looking great! I am very envious of the nice clean garage. That's on my list of summer must do's, clean it all out and haul everything to the landfill. Well at least everything I can't get rid of via "Freecycle".

Thanks,

Mike

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432252/dry-lake-cinema

Hanesamatized - June 29th, 2009

post #286 of 1625 Old 06-29-2009, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane.mba View Post

Been a while since I posted on your thread Cuz, but it's looking great! I am very envious of the nice clean garage. That's on my list of summer must do's, clean it all out and haul everything to the landfill. Well at least everything I can't get rid of via "Freecycle".

A clean garage - Thanks, but compared to others in these forums
HEY - THE HANESOMETER is actually catching on !!

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #287 of 1625 Old 06-30-2009, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

A clean garage - Thanks, but compared to others in these forums
HEY - THE HANESOMETER is actually catching on !!

I couldn't resist... needs better wording though.... something sophisticated and intellectual yet totally mental something worthy of being Hanes'd (or is that harassed?)

Thanks,

Mike

post #288 of 1625 Old 07-01-2009, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

First - I really hate this "trudgery" called staining >> Good news I'm over 50% done with this task.

Check out the "Hanesometer" Wood pile proof Photos below.
Hanesometer Before:

Hanesometer After (look close there really is a difference). What's left to be stained are the stiles and upper lower horizontal trim pieces for the wainscot wall - these need to have edges routed before they can be stained (also in this pile is about 180' of door casing for the rest of the basement).

The Goal is to get the billiard room to look something like this. I have adjusted the height from 46" to 43.75", and the grain will be oriented vertically. Still not sure if I will run my vertical stiles on 48" centers or 24" centers?

The next two photos are the NW wall;
Ready to hang plywood:

And a teaser - The true stained color of the wood did not photograph well, the stain is mahogony and it gives a nice slightly red hue to the pine plywood

The 1/2 wall treatment will be on 3 walls; the long wall shown, the area under the drink ledge, and the opposite end (bookcase and entry to my crawl space). The next photos are the common "wall" separating the HT from the Billiards room. For this "wall" I will go floor to ceiling with the stained plywood.

The SE corner (you can see the screen wall in the background)

The SW corner (you can see the EQ rack in the background):

Plan for the Holiday weekend, besides celebrating and BBQing; is to get all of the plywood up and then begin the edge treatment (routing) of the stiles, and horizontal top/bottom trim pieces, then more staining - did I mention I hate staining...?

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #289 of 1625 Old 07-01-2009, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

cuz,

I don't want you to start feeling like a man lying in the dessert sand, dying of thirst, while a flock of hungry vultures circles overhead, watching and waiting intently, so just try to ignore the whirring sound of the dreaded Hanesometer firing up here in the background ...

I've been meaning to get a new Hanesometer, but until then I think this old sucker will still do the job ... seems to have worked with cane without even him seeing it! That's what I'm talkin' about! Hope it holds up a bit longer!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #290 of 1625 Old 07-01-2009, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Excellent Hi tech piece of gear you got there!

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #291 of 1625 Old 07-06-2009, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Post Holiday Update

Spent part of the holiday weekend on task, did some more priming, and painting and managed to get 2/3 of the wainscoting plywood installed. Photos will follow later this week.

However; I will post the outstanding list (As I feel the need to say done to something)

1) Finish Drink ledge in Billiard Room >> DONE

2) Install Glass Doors in EQ cabinet >> DONE

3) ** Make decision on level of trim in Billiards Room; Full wainscoting and crown mold treatment? or simple trim and paint? Time to make a "Gut" (and wallet) check. This will likely determine the type of base moldings that will be used throughout the basement.
Wainsoting project underway, 2/3 of the plywood is up

4) Wrap up electrical: Reconnect outlets in Billiards Room, install GFCI breakers in breaker box, ** perhaps add a whole house surge protector to breaker box?

5) Install new battery backup Sump pump DONE

6) Paint 30% DONE

7) Stain and Install Trim 40% DONE

8) Carpet

9) Seating and Pool Table

10) Install Railing

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #292 of 1625 Old 07-08-2009, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks , I also have some fairly inexpensive "water leak detectors" that I will be installing. If they sense water they will sound an audible alarm and will dial a preselected emergency phone number ("Big" recomended the product, less than $100.00).

Hey cuz, do you have a link for the water detector? I'm planning on putting one where my hot water tank is just in case. It's going on twelve years but supposedly it's a pretty good one (Boch or something like that). With the basement finished I don't want to take any chances. Thanks!

BTW, pile, or lack thereof, looking good!
post #293 of 1625 Old 07-08-2009, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Queen,

I'll be more than happy to share this info; I will need to dig it out of my "to-do" box when I get home tonight.

I have yet to install and test it. However; I purchased it after a recommendation by another AVSr (thought it was "Big", but not sure).

12 years on that water heater - I understand your desire to get a warning device installed. From my observations 13~14 years is about the average life of a water heater in our area.

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #294 of 1625 Old 07-08-2009, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Queen,

I surfed around a bit and found a link to the same product I bought:

http://www.protectedhome.com/wateral...p-66-l-en.html

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #295 of 1625 Old 07-08-2009, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Queen,

I surfed around a bit and found a link to the same product I bought:

http://www.protectedhome.com/wateral...p-66-l-en.html

Cool! Thanks for the link. I actually found it on amazon for around $56. Was wondering whether you had any thoughts on the detector that just chirps as opposed to calling one phone number. Being the cheapie that I am, the just chirp one is $11 versus the phone one for $56.

http://www.amazon.com/Zircon-Leak-Al...ref=pd_cp_hi_2

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance
post #296 of 1625 Old 07-08-2009, 07:55 PM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Cool! Thanks for the link. I actually found it on amazon for around $56. Was wondering whether you had any thoughts on the detector that just chirps as opposed to calling one phone number. Being the cheapie that I am, the just chirp one is $11 versus the phone one for $56.

I guess that depends on whether you think you will be at home or not when it goes off.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
post #297 of 1625 Old 07-09-2009, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My thoughts were same as CJ (I suspect I will never have water failure when I'm home)

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #298 of 1625 Old 07-09-2009, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I have managed to get most of the wainscot paneling up on the lower half of my walls.

Disregard the horizontal furring strip in these photos (temporary for locating the upper edge of the wainscot trim). The first photo is the west end of the long wall looking toward the drink ledge. Still need to "panel" under the drink ledge.

This is the East end towards the crawl space entry. Still need to finish the trim surrounding the built-in bookcases

Now the question:
For the purpose of deciding the upper wall treatment; I painted the upper half of the walls, and I also hung a sample of my Burgundy GOM. I had always planned on painting the upper portion of these walls. At least that was my plan until i discovered I had over 30' of leftover Burgundy GM from my HT treatments !!

I have enough GOM, and 1" Linacoustic to cover the long (20') wall pictured above (but not enough for the short end walls - they will be painted as shown).

So my question: Should I leave this long wall painted or go ahead and give it the Burgundy GOM treatment?

If I go with the GOM it will be done primarily for decorating and aesthetic purposes.

If I go this route; I will fir it out and will use the Linacoustic. Not so much for acoustics but because I have some leftover, and who knows even though it will start at 42" above the floor it might still be of some minor acoustic benefit.

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #299 of 1625 Old 07-10-2009, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Hey Cuz what kind of floor are you putting into this room? Carpet, Tile, Wood? The reason I ask is that with a hard floor the sound from playing pool will be pretty loud. So even though it's only 1/2 the wall the GOM may help cut down on some of that. DISCLAIMER** I do not claim to have a clue when it comes to sound ** There are many people here that are awesome with sound.

However, even without the possible noise reduction I think it looks good.

so +1 for the GOM

Thanks,

Mike

post #300 of 1625 Old 07-10-2009, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mike,

Good point about the pool-table noises! Didn't think about that one.
I will be carpeting the billiard room with the same carpet that will be in the adjoining HT room.

Only one thing is holding me up on the GOM:

The billiard room has flourescent lights, and the HT room has incandescent can lights.
With all lights on in both rooms the GOM appears to be two different colors:

Almost a Cranberry (desirable color) in the HT room (under incandescents)
And a drab Burgundy in the Billiard room.....?

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page