AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejhuzy View Post

Craig,

That monitor looks very cool through the smoked glass. Nice work and thanks for documenting. I have some small all in one dvd players/monitors that were bought for use in the car. We hardly ever use them. I'm thinking of repurposing them now...

Ed

Recycling - Perfect!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1633 Old 10-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejhuzy View Post

Craig,

That monitor looks very cool through the smoked glass. Nice work and thanks for documenting. I have some small all in one dvd players/monitors that were bought for use in the car. We hardly ever use them. I'm thinking of repurposing them now...

Ed

Hey Ed,

I was planning on doing the same thing, but i had a 7" car LCD to use. I ended up retrofitting it onto an old couch I had and used it for a mini computer screen(playlists or a quick video someone wants to show) and/or another tv screen for something not as important.
post #453 of 1633 Old 10-12-2009, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK time for some documented proof of progress:

I'm about to start day 3 of this Holiday weekend. I have been splitting my time between the basement and outdoors, my report:

Saturday - Did some more trim work, I'm now at 97% (the last 3% will be done after the railing and newell post are installed). I installed a casing and door trim on both sides of the Theater opening.

Before:

After:

Theater Room, After:

Next Photo is for Hanes "The Saga of the dwindling woodpile":

And then on Sunday, it was time to take a first "crack" at cleaning up the cabling in the EQ room. From a previous post it was my intent to hide the cables in two Panduit trays affixed to the back edges of my cabinet:

Here is the after "almost-finished" shot:

I still need to get a heavier extension cord to replace the orange one running from my power bridge (upper right corner) to the UPS on the floor. I will then bury that cord in the RH side tray. About 1/2 of the rats nest on the left is unused, future proofing cables that will be rebundled, labeled, and tucked neatly away on the far left. In the left cable tray are the majority ofthe low voltage/low signal level wires, The right tray contains all of the power supply cables, and a few speaker outputs

Monday's Priorities:
*** Carpet Shopping
** Check out some theater seating
(* And maybe squeeze in a look at a nice used Ollhausen pool table I have located)

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #454 of 1633 Old 10-12-2009, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
LOVE the use of the Panduit to clean up the rack. I'm going to head to Menard's today at lunch to pick up some for my rack. It's simple, but really effective. Nice work on everything. The wood work looks great.

Steve
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

post #455 of 1633 Old 10-12-2009, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Steve,

Thanks! The panduit really is slick to work with - I wasn't aware that Menards carries it..

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #456 of 1633 Old 10-12-2009, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

The panduit really is slick to work with - I wasn't aware that Menards carries it..

You know, I haven't checked. They may not, but I would think they would. I'll have to call.

Either way, I'm going to get it somewhere.

Steve

post #457 of 1633 Old 10-12-2009, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Craig,

Looking outstanding! Nice trim work. But too bad about that dwindling woodpile. I guess you can't have everything!

I've never even heard of panduit! Of course, a year or so ago I hadn't heard of DD, GG, RISC clips and a whole assortment of other stuff, so that's not saying much. But a google search turns up so many products and variations I'm not sure exactly which one you used. Is it pricey?

I'll eventually have to clean up my equipment closet too. Ironically, it looks like you used the same green tape to label some of your speaker wires as i did in my build. Great minds think alike.

And my mind is AWOL ...

post #458 of 1633 Old 10-12-2009, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Enough of this trim and equipment closet pics. You fessed up and said you were going carpet shopping over the weekend. So where is the proof? Samples, remnants, area rugs.....anything? Well.........I'm waiting.......

I must admit your trim looks topnotch and the equipment closet looks better after some TLC and organization. I'll have to look into the same option when I get to that point. Very slick.

I too was able to get some time in the basement felt good to make some progress no matter how slight.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #459 of 1633 Old 10-12-2009, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

RT,

I actually have a number of carpet store business cards, and 3 samples in my possesion.

Pretty sure I have made the decision of "where to buy" - he's coming to measure on Wednesday - by then I will have some photos of our sample selections posted :-)

Whew - glad I didn't come home empty handed

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #460 of 1633 Old 10-12-2009, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

RT,

I actually have a number of carpet store business cards, and 3 samples in my possesion.

Pretty sure I have made the decision of "where to buy" - he's coming to measure on Wednesday - by then I will have some photos of our sample selections posted :-)

Whew - glad I didn't come home empty handed

So you claim. We haven't really seen any hard proof yet .

Trim is looking excellent!

post #461 of 1633 Old 10-13-2009, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You ask and you shall receive - STAY TUNED.....

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #462 of 1633 Old 10-13-2009, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK; proof of my Monday carpet shopping adventure

AND looking for opinions (I already have 2 favorites from what is shown below).
Please comment on your first choice 1,2,3, or 4, these are the samples nearest the baseboard.

And for the theater room (I will be repainting these walls to the darker color shown on the test board):

And in the Billiard Room Room, (florescent lights in this room)

Let me Know?
Thanks

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #463 of 1633 Old 10-13-2009, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tough to make a good judgement call just from pictures, but I am going to anyways. I am waffling between 2 & 3. #1 is too dark, and too "matchy-match" with your test board.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
B

post #464 of 1633 Old 10-13-2009, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

I like #1. Darker is usually better, especially if you're going to have high traffic. I think it works well and pulls the other colors in the room down.

Steve

post #465 of 1633 Old 10-13-2009, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks - good points!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #466 of 1633 Old 10-13-2009, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I'd like to help but to my old eyes they all look pretty good. If I had to choose, I'd probably go with #1, perhaps because I can see it best.

Couldn't you make your tests easier, or at least open book?! I'm going to need to get a new magnifying glass ...

P.S. Hey bhuttman, my friend, I never realized there was such things as being "too matchy-match?" Of course, I'd gladly settle for "kinda matches."

post #467 of 1633 Old 10-13-2009, 09:55 AM

Liked: 12
Alright!! Carpet shopping!!

Personally, I like 1 & 4. Nothing against 2 but IMHO it just doesn't seem to fit and I think 3 is a little too light for what you've got going in your design.

Everything is looking really good. I like the preview monitor and the cable organization as well!!!

post #468 of 1633 Old 10-13-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

P.S. Hey bhuttman, my friend, I never realized there was such things as being "too matchy-match?" Of course, I'd gladly settle for "kinda matches."

Maybe I was thinking, "patchy-patch".

And as for carpets, I am being almost unanimously shot down. Feels like I'm back in college at the bar or somethin'.

Cheers,
B

post #469 of 1633 Old 10-13-2009, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey All,
Keep those "votes" coming.

As a side note; Mrs. Cuzed just left me a VM stating:

"I am asking the carpet guy to bring more samples when he comes to measure tomorrow..!" Yikes

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #470 of 1633 Old 10-13-2009, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Ok finally some REAL progress! Let's get down to bidness!

Here goes,

For the theater I like #1, I think if you don't go darker in the theater you will regret it, having said that one poster commented about the matchy - matchy but I think with your strong bold color on your trim you need a strong color for your carpet. It will look very nice together and the trim color will "break it up" so you aren't so matchy - matchy.

I think for all of the other areas I would go with #4. This would blend very well with the rest of your basement and looks great with the Terra cotta (?) color. FWIW #4 is almost identical to what I picked and I am very happy with my choice and have not looked back.

More carpet samples??????? Yikes! Brings back my nightmares of all the paint samples with the wife bringing ever more samples home.

The spotted or fleck pattern in #4 is great because it does not show anything. This is great if you have lots of traffic or kids and are anticipating lots of dirt, grime, and spills.

I'm proud of you, you have conquered your fears. I bet though you could not have done it without me though could you?

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #471 of 1633 Old 10-13-2009, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

RT,

Man I did indeed need a sponsor to get me over my carpet fears - Thanks!
I appreciate your comments on the sample selection.

My camera does not show it well, but #1 has some slight red/burgundy accent that seems to go well with the GOM and, drapes that will going back up in the HT room.

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #472 of 1633 Old 10-13-2009, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny15 View Post

Alright!! Carpet shopping!!

Personally, I like 1 & 4. Nothing against 2 but IMHO it just doesn't seem to fit and I think 3 is a little too light for what you've got going in your design.

Everything is looking really good. I like the preview monitor and the cable organization as well!!!

Thanks for the input Johnny!
On another note: I'm thinking you might be close to wrapping up another semester...?

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #473 of 1633 Old 10-13-2009, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So Mrs. Cuzed just called me and;
She is out running errands, and is promising more samples will await me when I arrive home, Hmmmm?

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #474 of 1633 Old 10-13-2009, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
#1. Though it really is tough to make a call with such tiny samples! Keep em' coming.

post #475 of 1633 Old 10-14-2009, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Why are we voting? We all know the person making the final decision isn't the one posting here! It's all about the WAF!

I like #1 for the entire basement. However, I like a continuous carpet, never cared for different carpet in different rooms.

Thanks,

Mike

Hanesamatized - June 29th, 2009

post #476 of 1633 Old 10-14-2009, 06:33 AM

#1 from what I see. Are those shot with flash on? If so some shots with no flash might help us as things look a lot different with just the naked eye and no help. Good luck!

If at first you do succeed- try to hide your astonishment.

My Concrete Counter Build!

post #477 of 1633 Old 10-14-2009, 12:49 PM

Liked: 15
For what it's worth I like #1 & #4... Is 4 thicker, longer strands or what ever they are called?

Joe V
Time > Money

post #478 of 1633 Old 10-14-2009, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Joe V,

Thanks!
Indeed #4 has what they call a deeper "pile"....

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #479 of 1633 Old 10-14-2009, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

meister,

Tried some shots w/o flash this morning, but NG (I think my camera is too simple - to hold the shutter open long enough)

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #480 of 1633 Old 10-14-2009, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

#1. Though it really is tough to make a call with such tiny samples! Keep em' coming.

Queen,
Stay tuned for more sample photos. Sample #1 was the clear winning vote getter from yesterday's round #1

All,
So last night; I get home and find my wife has cleaned the guy out of samples; I'll bet I had 8 boards + 6 more swatches of this style, was down in the basement till 11PM toting these goofy boards all over the basement with different combos of lites on, lites off, etc, etc....

I wake up this morning and we now have two more "finalists" to add to yesterday's winner. I'll post the final 3 very soon

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page