2Likes

post #91 of 1640 Old 11-18-2008, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Thanks Johnny,

Remember >> it was about 12~15 months ago that you're thread was one of several responsible for getting me into this expensive Hobby - Gotta love it

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1640 Old 11-19-2008, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great progress cuz. Since you have the game room with the ledge that could serve multi-purpose for your drinkers. I'd vote for the exercise room but I'm guessing I'm probably in the minority.
post #93 of 1640 Old 11-19-2008, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Queeen!

I am now leaning towards an earlier idea for that room, a compromise that would allow a lot of flexibility:

I think the Pub idea could become modest walk-up service bar in the corner:
Perhaps just a "walkup" L-shaped counter-top and sink against the corner with some wall cabinets - no seating and no bar. This would free up most of the room to be flexible space for exersize equipment (or even a future office, or den)

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #94 of 1640 Old 11-20-2008, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
look'n good! Real nice work on the screen, I'll have to pop over to the DIY section and read more about those.
post #95 of 1640 Old 12-28-2008, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Updates?
post #96 of 1640 Old 12-28-2008, 08:44 PM

can i see pics of the finished floor in the bathroom?

My Basement Project thread Spray Foam Insulation FTS!!
post #97 of 1640 Old 01-06-2009, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Queen,

Sorry - the Holidays and other distractions have found me way overdue for more work and progress reports.

After seeing your Excellent results - I definetly need to get moving again

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #98 of 1640 Old 01-06-2009, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

JonyHouse,

Thanks for checking out my build

Sorry the Holidays have taken me out of the loop. I'll be back in the basement taking photos and sharing later this week

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #99 of 1640 Old 01-12-2009, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonyHouse View Post

can i see pics of the finished floor in the bathroom?

JonyHouse,

Sorry about the delay. Finally got to the basement. Snapped this photo for you. More progress photos will follow.

Regards,

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #100 of 1640 Old 01-12-2009, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hoping everyone had a good Holiday Season!

As for me being out of touch - My apologies, but not much was going on - at least not in the basement or HT.

Our Holidays started out rough, but did improve dramatically. Started out in November with a really big health scare in our family > the "C" word!! Fortunately; after 4 weeks and many tests it turned out to be a "one-of-a-kind" freak situation involving lymph nodes and mysterious lumps, turned out to be a very good story - all is well - NO cancer. Made for a VERY Thankful Thanksgiving !!

We no more than get this behind us and my trusty '86 Suburban starts acting up. First the tranny failed and was repaired, 3 weeks later the rear end blew up. Got a junk yard rear end, then a prompt visit to the Chevy dealer to trade for a "Pre-bankruptcy" sale on an '08 Equinox. Sure am glad my heavy hauling for the basement is finished!!

So I finally got back down there and started my column enclosures.

The left side column cover is almost finished. Took (stole) some tips from Queen DVDs build (thanks Queen). I decided to finish my columns with 3/4 " MDF, and will wrap these in GOM.

The opening at the top is for my sconce light

And the Right hand column still needs to be done, (I packed these full of leftover insulation)

Also a question:
I will be covering these with GOM (after I round the front edges with a router). Am undecided if I should just paint these flat black and cover with GOM directly, or perhaps I should wrap them in batting before covering with GOM..??

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #101 of 1640 Old 01-12-2009, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice work on the columns Cuz! That was fast. I too was worried about whether the columns would need to be painted or not. My HT guy says that my fabric will cover them fine so I left them as is. However, it is worth noting that he didn't think it was necessary to paint the false wall frames black but indeed I see through the GOM in the pictures. But for movie watching it's completely fine. Somehow though I think it will be less of an issue with the columns. I don't know if I would pick the wrap in batting before covering since I'm assuming that the batting is white and your GOM choice for the columns is black? That would bleed right through. I'd vote for the flat black paint and then wrap in GOM for the safest route. Or you could temporarily wrap one without stapling but have someone hold tight and then snap a photo and see if the MDF shows through or not.
post #102 of 1640 Old 01-13-2009, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

Nice work on the columns Cuz! That was fast. I too was worried about whether the columns would need to be painted or not. My HT guy says that my fabric will cover them fine so I left them as is. However, it is worth noting that he didn't think it was necessary to paint the false wall frames black but indeed I see through the GOM in the pictures. But for movie watching it's completely fine. Somehow though I think it will be less of an issue with the columns. I don't know if I would pick the wrap in batting before covering since I'm assuming that the batting is white and your GOM choice for the columns is black? That would bleed right through. I'd vote for the flat black paint and then wrap in GOM for the safest route. Or you could temporarily wrap one without stapling but have someone hold tight and then snap a photo and see if the MDF shows through or not.

Queen,

I'll do a little testing to make sure - but will likely skip the batting and go with GOM over a flat black painted surface.

BTW: my GOM is the deep burgandy color; seems to match the curtains flanking my screen rather well.

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #103 of 1640 Old 02-04-2009, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Help me decide on stain color?

Am nearing the completion phase of our HT. I will have a substantial amount of pine woodwork. What is known; We are utilizing "claret" (burgundy colored) drapes to flank our screen. We will also be using a matching burgundy color GOM fabric. A portion of the walls will be painted some shade of brown, or rust color.

Below are 2 test samples of the stain (tested these on the inside of 2 closet doors). The fabric in the center is a drapery panel we will be using.

Please let me know your opinion; the left color or right color:

The stain on the left is called Georgian Cherry, and the one on the right is called Brown Mahogony

Thanks in Advance!

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #104 of 1640 Old 02-04-2009, 11:08 AM

Liked: 12
I'd pick the right color, but that's because I'm not a huge fan of cherry colored wood in general.... Both look good with the fabric, so I don't think you could go wrong either way.
post #105 of 1640 Old 02-04-2009, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Johnny15,

Hey thanks for looking and the opinion. Good to hear you are still watching the rest of us "slackers" trying to finish our rooms

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #106 of 1640 Old 02-04-2009, 11:46 AM

I disagree with Johnny. I would go with the one on the left. Personally, I like both and like Johnny said, you can't go wrong. Without seeing the wood color and things like that in the rest of the room/basement, it's hard to make a final decision.

Depending on the room, I'm more of a Cherry fan. Keep up the good work.
Foe

"When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."
post #107 of 1640 Old 02-04-2009, 11:49 AM

Question for you: How are the corners of the columns going to affect the angled horns on your speakers? From the pics, it looks like the speaker is set back into the columns, with the horns partially pointed at the corner 2x4's.

I would think you would want a gap in the edge of the columns to allow for this. Meaning the opening would wrap around to the side a little.

"When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."
post #108 of 1640 Old 02-04-2009, 12:15 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Johnny15,

Hey thanks for looking and the opinion. Good to hear you are still watching the rest of us "slackers" trying to finish our rooms

I definitely wouldn't call you a slacker! You've been making good progress!
It's going on 2 years since I've finished my basement and still need to get around to building a bar....
I guess that's what working full time, having a baby (he's 2 now), and going to school will do to you though.... Oh yeah, let's not forget to mention this crappy economy that's keeping me from getting any decent raises too!
post #109 of 1640 Old 02-04-2009, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

FoeHammer,

Thanks for the opinion on the color!

Also; A good eye on the surround placement and possible interference with the horns.

Believe it or not; it is close > but I do have line of sight from the edge of the horns to all seating areas. However; those column shrouds are coming down one more time for some additional preparations. At that time - I will be opening up the horizontal axis of the opening by an additional 1" on each side.

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #110 of 1640 Old 02-04-2009, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny15 View Post

I definitely wouldn't call you a slacker! You've been making good progress!
It's going on 2 years since I've finished my basement and still need to get around to building a bar....
I guess that's what working full time, having a baby (he's 2 now), and going to school will do to you though.... Oh yeah, let's not forget to mention this crappy economy that's keeping me from getting any decent raises too!

Thanks for the vote of confidence - lets hope this economy thing reverses in our lifetime > I really don't want to work forever!!

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #111 of 1640 Old 02-05-2009, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks You All for sharing your choices.
I also posted this same question in a separate thread.

The opinion Tally comes in at 7 voted for the Georgian Cherry , and 2 votes for the Mahogony.

(P.S. The cherry color was also my wife's choice, I was not so sure)

Thanks Again

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #112 of 1640 Old 02-10-2009, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Cuz, first love the name there one of great movie roles . Glad to see you making such great progress. Am looking at DIY screen myself, currently have Behr UPW painted MDF as a temporary and am looking to try out DW. Does pic seem bright enough for you on your screen ? Looked great on those Transformers shots-- the chase scenes with Optimus Prime in the freeway is great for showing off color and detail of HD-DVD/Blu-Ray as well. Keep up the hard work it pays off--I think as I am just at studwall stage
Greg
post #113 of 1640 Old 02-11-2009, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Greg,

We are big Christmas Vacation fans - a Holiday ritual. Even helped host a Cuzzn Eddy Christmas party one year. Every one had to come in costume - The homewoner even had an electrician add extra circuits for added "outdoor illumination".

Thanks for the positive encouragement. As for screens >> My DW screen seems plenty bright to me (even with RS1 on the "low" setting). In fact I can watch OTA-HD sports with medium room lighting.

I see you are in Overland park. For many years I flew weekly to/from KC to work at the government facility operated by Bendix (now Honeywell on Bannister Rd) on the MO side. Would often cruise to Overland park for dinner.

You live in a nice area!!

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #114 of 1640 Old 02-14-2009, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
cuzed2,

Bounced over to your build from Jonny's with the water/insulation questions, and glad I did. Very nice work! Couple quick questions for you.

Can you post a couple more photos of the inside of your equipment closet? I am planning to use a very similar under-the-stair approach and am very impressed with how you handled it, especially the wiring. I probably wouldn't have the patience (or more importantly the skill!) to go as tidy as you did with the full structured wiring, but I really admire the way you handled this. And great idea with the bath light/fan fixture!

Also, regarding the sound insulation from upstairs noise, especially footfalls. What flooring material do you have on the rooms above the theater? I've got hardwood floors and currently (pre-ceiling treatment) when my wife and/or daughters walk around in their heels it can sound like someone banging on the ceiling with a hammer! I'm afraid because of the wood floors above I may have to go to the trouble of dampening by cutting drywall into strips to fit between the joists and glued right to the ceiling itself, as some of the sound experts seem to recommend. Just seems like such a lot of work.

I don't plan to do the whole DD/GG route either, because the room is open to the stairwell and other areas, but I do want to at least minimize the sound coming into the HT from above and am not sure insulation alone will do that.

Thanks, and keep up the good work!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #115 of 1640 Old 02-15-2009, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

cuzed2,

Bounced over to your build from Jonny's with the water/insulation questions, and glad I did. Very nice work! Couple quick questions for you.

Can you post a couple more photos of the inside of your equipment closet? I am planning to use a very similar under-the-stair approach and am very impressed with how you handled it, especially the wiring. I probably wouldn't have the patience (or more importantly the skill!) to go as tidy as you did with the full structured wiring, but I really admire the way you handled this. And great idea with the bath light/fan fixture!

Also, regarding the sound insulation from upstairs noise, especially footfalls. What flooring material do you have on the rooms above the theater? I've got hardwood floors and currently (pre-ceiling treatment) when my wife and/or daughters walk around in their heels it can sound like someone banging on the ceiling with a hammer! I'm afraid because of the wood floors above I may have to go to the trouble of dampening by cutting drywall into strips to fit between the joists and glued right to the ceiling itself, as some of the sound experts seem to recommend. Just seems like such a lot of work.

I don't plan to do the whole DD/GG route either, because the room is open to the stairwell and other areas, but I do want to at least minimize the sound coming into the HT from above and am not sure insulation alone will do that.

Thanks, and keep up the good work!

Hanesian,

I'll be working down there tomorrow and will snag a few more photos of the EQ closet for you. As for the bath/fan light: If I were to do it over again I would have spent the extra dollars for a Panasonic unit, although they can exceed $100.00 they are the quietest.

As for the floors above my theater:

Above the game room (left side of the theater) is our kitchen with a tile/slate floor.

Above the HT is our dining room with laminate hardwood floor.

I can say that just simply stuffing my ceiling joists FULL of the fluffy insulation reduced the footstep, and "sliding chair" noise by about 75%. I was both surprised and pleased with the amount of reduction.

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #116 of 1640 Old 02-15-2009, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I like the mahogany color, it looks alot like the color of stain I am using on our bar. Early american.....well kind of close ayway. I purchased brown colored berks and was going to paint the bottom half of our room black with a chair rail then wasnt sure what color to paint the top. Wanted to go with some sort of brown/tan/rust. Would love to see the color ideas that you have in mind. We also have burgundy curtains to hang on the screen wall so I need something thatgoes with them too

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #117 of 1640 Old 02-16-2009, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Iusteve,

Thanks! I'll bet I test stained 6 colors to get to this point. I am about to go down there now to finish staining the last of my doors and all the door jambs (I hate the tedium of sanding/staining and varnishing).

As for wall colors - still undecided. Am leaning towards taupe and/or rust colors. I also have enough Burgundy GOM fabric to do a portion of my walls and am also undecided on this part.

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #118 of 1640 Old 02-16-2009, 08:43 AM

nice build!

are those surrounds inside that little nook you built in the columns? Shouldn't they be mounted on the surface?
post #119 of 1640 Old 02-16-2009, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Iusteve,

Thanks! I'll bet I test stained 6 colors to get to this point. I am about to go down there now to finish staining the last of my doors and all the door jambs (I hate the tedium of sanding/staining and varnishing).

As for wall colors - still undecided. Am leaning towards taupe and/or rust colors. I also have enough Burgundy GOM fabric to do a portion of my walls and am also undecided on this part.

How about some pics of color samples? Maybe a shot of the color sample card from the paint store? I am curious to see what your thinking here

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #120 of 1640 Old 02-16-2009, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

IuSteve,

I wish I was that far along. I have about 100~200 sample chips in a file waitng to be narrowed down. Once the wife and I go thru the process of narrowing the list > I will be more than happy to post what I am thinking.

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page