Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #181 of 1631 Old 04-01-2009, 07:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Think so for what every product line they are pushing. Don't remember. We used a lot of Benjamin Moore, and even they were a bit limited in selection for the sample ones. Sometimes we shelled out the $10 for a quart if they didn't have the $5 samples.

I am half kidding around, but we did find it useful in certain rooms to narrow to three paint chips and then sample them in the room. MY wife is a very visual person.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1631 Old 04-01-2009, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Yeah HD, Lowes, all the paint stores will sell you sample containers of paint colors. Typically it's roughly around a pint or so for four to five dollars. We went through about a $100 worth of samples, and then changed the colors at the last minute to a color we didn't have a sample for.

If you have spare pieces of drywall paint those so you don't get too many coats of paint in one spot.

Thanks,

Mike

Hanesamatized - June 29th, 2009

post #183 of 1631 Old 04-01-2009, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Dave / Mike,

Thanks. I do remember one of the stores offering smaller samples, just didn't realize it was common or that prices were reasonable.

I will have to go out and grab 3~4 sample colors, (and sure enough; I do have some leftover drywall).

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #184 of 1631 Old 04-06-2009, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A progress (or very little progress) Bump:

This past weekend:
-Got my bar drain connected to my ejector pit.
-Added my crown across the top of the wet bar wall cabinets.
-Acquired some paint samples for the HT room.
-And shoveled snow (again - in April..??)

Travelling this week, hoping my counter-tops are ready when I return. Will post more photos when they arrive.

Wishing Everyone a good productive week!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #185 of 1631 Old 04-13-2009, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good Afternoon TO All,

Spent one day of the Easter weekend finishing my bar sink and counter-tops.

On my last update - mentioned that I was hooking my bar drain into the ejector pit, a few photos below:

First had to cut an access hole into the ejector lid (the vent line is the one disconnected for better access)

Reassembled and ready to go:

Picked up my "high definition" formica countertops and began installing the bar sink:

And the almost finished product (still need to put a crown mold across the top "bridge")

And a few close up photos for those asking about the new HD formica material:

And lastly the snack/fridge area:

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #186 of 1631 Old 04-13-2009, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Looking beautiful my man!! Is the drain from your sink running straight to your sump pump pit? Anyway I have to say the counter,sink and faucet are gorgeous I love it!!

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #187 of 1631 Old 04-13-2009, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

IUsteve,

Thanks!!

Actually the bar sink drain runs through a trap and ~4' to my ejector pit. The ejector pit is the one the floor drain is hooked to, this goes to the sanitary sewer line.

The sump system is a totally separate pit.

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #188 of 1631 Old 04-13-2009, 11:54 AM

I was kinda curious about that too. Seemed odd to go to a sump pit. Thanks for explaining.

"When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."
post #189 of 1631 Old 04-13-2009, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
counter is looking good. I really like the HD formica, for the price.

I told my mom this weekend I was thinking of going that route and she told me I was crazy and that considering the money I have in the basement, why dont I just do granite...I told her I was not as rich as her and that I would split the difference. That conversation ended quite abruptly after that.

post #190 of 1631 Old 04-13-2009, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Countertop looks great cuz! Curious what it looks like on the underside? Also, is it just one smooth surface or is there a thin coat on top of the formica, like on a pressed wood product?

Does it come with different edge patterns (i.e. ogee, etc.)?

post #191 of 1631 Old 04-13-2009, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Smakovits,

Thanks. I think if one is doing larger counter-top quantities .. I believe the price difference would be small, within $5.00/ft.

However; I was dealing with less than 8 lineal feet - and the granite people are typically not interested in small jobs

Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits View Post

counter is looking good. I really like the HD formica, for the price.

I told my mom this weekend I was thinking of going that route and she told me I was crazy and that considering the money I have in the basement, why dont I just do granite...I told her I was not as rich as her and that I would split the difference. That conversation ended quite abruptly after that.

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #192 of 1631 Old 04-13-2009, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Queen,

Thanks (also for the add'l info on the Berklines).

As for your questions:

1) Yep just finished on one side, the underside and core, is the cheap pressboard stuff.

2) At least 6 different edge finishes including Ogee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

Countertop looks great cuz! Curious what it looks like on the underside? Also, is it just one smooth surface or is there a thin coat on top of the formica, like on a pressed wood product?

Does it come with different edge patterns (i.e. ogee, etc.)?

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #193 of 1631 Old 04-14-2009, 01:18 PM

Liked: 12
The counter tops look excellent!!! You mention that those are the "high definition" Formica....so is that the textured Formica, right? If it is and it's what I'm thinking, those look even better in person!! Nice choice! My in-laws have that with the 45 oak bevel on the edge.

post #194 of 1631 Old 04-14-2009, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Johnny15,

Hey good to hear you chime in, and staying in touch on the forum! I was worried that you were spending all your free time enjoying the fruits of your HT labors . Have you started building that bar area yet...?

Indeed the so-called HD formica has a bit of texture to it, and also seems to have some mica or "mineral-like" chips imbedded in the finish. Mine came from Menards.

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #195 of 1631 Old 04-14-2009, 04:27 PM

Hey Cuz,

Yeah, I still hop on the forum from time to time! I wish I could say I was spending all my time in my HT, but that's not the case. Work all day, come home and chase my 2 year old around the house for several hours and then I log online and do my school work. Only a few classes before I finish up my BSIT. I'm thinking December time frame!!

Sadly, no work on the bar yet. Free cash goes towards school. Once school is done maybe my wife will loosen up the bank book for me....

Keep up the good work, I'm enjoying the progress!

post #196 of 1631 Old 04-14-2009, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Keep the BS degree momentum going - you'll be glad you did, and will have plenty of time later.

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #197 of 1631 Old 04-19-2009, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Been traveling for two weeks:

Looks like a rainy Sunday >> a trip to the basement to get back to work - what's next:

1) Finish the wet bar - install crown mold & reconfigure sink drain
2) Install new smoke detector wired to whole house alarm circuit and test
3) Need to do some minor framing to the header and soffitt above my screen, in advance of some more bass trapping and GOM

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #198 of 1631 Old 04-20-2009, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK - I really did take on some work yesterday. Managed to get the crown mold installed above the wet bar (still need to fill trim nail holes).

Looking for suggestions for the area between the wall cabinets:

Am thinking of a mirror on the vertical space between the cabinets, and perhaps 2 glass shelves about 6" deep (glasses or liquor bottles)? overhead LED light might make it show well?

Then on to the soffitt above my screen. The problem here is that the underside of the soffitt is visible when seated in the front row. I find that the center speaker, and the HVAC duct is distracting. My plan is to fill this area with mineral wool for additional bass trapping, and then stretch black GOM across the underside to cover the distractions.

Needed to add some framing to "contain & suspend" the mineral wool and as an attachment point for stretching and stapling the GOM across the underside. There will also be just enough room behind the mineral wool to allow me to add the valance above the screen.

What I have to work with:

And with the added "framing"

Almost ready to install the mineral wool - tomorrow nights project

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #199 of 1631 Old 04-20-2009, 12:23 PM

I think a couple of glass shelves in your cabinets would look really nice! I'd consider making the bottom shelf solid otherwise you might get some goofy shadows or something with the light shinning through both shelves. Just my opinion tough.....

post #200 of 1631 Old 04-20-2009, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

johnny15,

Good point - I'll have to keep this in mind - Thanks!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #201 of 1631 Old 04-21-2009, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yesterday's progress:

Ordered Black GOM for screen wall and flanking sidewall areas.
Also picked up Mineral Wool to basstrap the soffitt above my screen.

So last night; I "rotozipped" openings into the face of my overhead screen soffitt. When completely finished this "face" will be covered with black GOM, including a removable black GOM grill for the center speaker.

Next up was to fill this cavity with the mineral wool :

The black GOM will cover the vertical face, and will be stretched taught across the bottom side of the soffitt to improve the underside appearance:

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #202 of 1631 Old 04-21-2009, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Are you planning on painting the face of the screen soffit that will be covered by the GOM to minimize light reflection?

post #203 of 1631 Old 04-21-2009, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The finish on the cabinets turned out great nice job

Scott

Current Photo's

post #204 of 1631 Old 04-21-2009, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hanes,

Indeed; in fact I am going to paint the "faces" of the soffitts below the ceiling black all around, and the face above the screen will be covered with black GOM. I will probably use some black painted trim where the GOM meets painted sections.

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #205 of 1631 Old 04-21-2009, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks WOOlly - someone gave me a great tip - to use the wipe on poly

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #206 of 1631 Old 04-28-2009, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Although no new photos - I have been slowly plugging away, Outdoors and springtime has gotten in the way:

Got the whole house smoke detector/alarm system back on line with all new detectors (this started with the HT ceiling and realization that I had 10 years old smoke alarms).

Ordered and received some black GOM >> A big call out to GIK (and Frank) for great customer service. Ordered on Monday afternoon > GOM on my doorstep Wednesday afternoon !!

Bought a roll of Linacoustic, 1" x 4' x 100' (price was ~160.00).

Pulled down my theater drapes (temporary install for test fitting and custom conduit rods).

Tonight & tomorrow = painting, by this weekend should be into Linacoustic and GOM installations.

More photos later

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #207 of 1631 Old 05-04-2009, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So if I am not careful; springtime and my Son's soccer may get me "Loganed". In order to avoid that distinction, I offer the following evidence of forward progress:

I did manage to purchase some Linacoustic:

Last report had me at the point of stuffing my soffitt, removing my screen, and priming the entire soffitt surround in flat-black, in preparation for GOM:

Primed flat black and Linacoustic is now covering the exposed mineral wool (front and underside)

And now with the GOM stretched and stapled, Just what i was hoping; for the underside distractions have disappeared:

The GOM extends from the ceiling/soffitt intersection down vertically, then wraps under the crown and across the underside to the screen wall (allowing space to hang my drapes and valance) . Result: everything has disappeared into a sea of black.

Next up: to install the linacoustic and trim above and below the screen , and the flanking walls.

Oh; and I just got word the Marantz service center called - they have installed and updated the firmware in my Marantz 7002 - will pick it up tonight and get some "working music" back into the room

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #208 of 1631 Old 05-04-2009, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Progress looking good cuz. Curious whether you'll have any Lin left. I also purchased the same size roll and still have quite a bit left.

post #209 of 1631 Old 05-05-2009, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Looking great, didn't even know you had a build thread sorry. I only look in the dedicated section, guess I'll need to stop over here too

I really like the ceiling detail. I see you got some linacoustic finally! Did it fit in the car ok?

I'm with Queen, I had leftovers from my build and from my panel. I got half a roll left from my panels that I'm probably gonna throw away.

My Theater -
post #210 of 1631 Old 05-05-2009, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Queen / Shawn,

Thanks for the encouraging words. Progress is slow because of Spring and something even more important > my son's travel soccer (in fact we are playing in St. Charles tonight).

Yeah that linacoustic just barely fit in my car, and I suspect that I will end up with a have roll left over.

Hopefully; I can get more of the flanking walls covered with Lin and GOM this week. Then I can get into some painting and begin the carpet selection process.

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page