Maverickster's Home Theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 45 Old 09-03-2007, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, here it is -- finally. 8 months ago, I didn't know the slightest thing about A/V, much less Home Theater, and after lurking in nearly all of the groups here, I began having enough confidence to ask some project-specific question; and, to my pleasure and surprise, I got very helpful project-specific answers! While I am a far cry from an expert, at this point, I have read enough and had enough help from those on this WONDERFUL forum to actually undertake my install.

Now, in keeping with what I have seen others do, Here's the thread dedicated to my HT install.

Thank you to each and every one of you who helped me out; and to all of you, generally, for making this such a wonderful and informative forum. I could go on and on about how the internet has changed our lives (before the internet, I would certainly have had to hire this out), but it'll be sufficient to say that without AVS Forum, there's no way I'd be able to pull this off, but with it, I have the confidence and technical know-how to do it all myself (whether that actually translates into "capability" remains to be seen). So, thank you all for your contributions!

Schematic:

Parts List:

Before Pictures:

--Mav
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 09-03-2007, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Updated.
post #3 of 45 Old 09-03-2007, 10:22 PM

Liked: 11
Wow that is some wiring diagram you got going there, it looks great with all lists and all. Good luck with your build, looks like there may be some work in controlig the lighting as well as placemen of the location of the surrounds and rearsurounds. Do you have a floor plan of the area or do you have locations picked out already? I also see that you have a vaulted ceiling I hope that loud sound is not an issue because it will travel and escape on you. Looks like it will be a great setup when you get it all done. Just don't get the itch like I did and after it is all planned out want a big screen and projector LOL

Thanks for sharing,
Phil
post #4 of 45 Old 09-04-2007, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The sound issue, I think I have covered; it's 6300 cf, open on one end and open a little at the top to the 2nd floor; so there are a lot of issues there, but I think I've done what I can do; it doesn't need to be perfect. I have the speaker locations selected already.

The lighting issue is a different story. There's not a lot I can do about it (and the picture was taken at the worst possible time -- that's a west window; picture was taken about 6:30 PM). I don't want to (i.e. was instructed not to by The Mrs.) turn this into a dedicated HT. This is our "primary living area"; the HT component is "secondary" (as "secondary" as a 58" plasma TV can get, I guess). If the plasma won't work, I'm just gonna swap it out for the 52" Sony XBR4 and call it good. That's not my preferred course of action, but I'll do it if the plasma is simply unwatchable during the day.

Thanks for your interest!
post #5 of 45 Old 09-21-2007, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #6 of 45 Old 09-21-2007, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #7 of 45 Old 09-21-2007, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Before/After Pictures:

The above photos don't do the amount of effort this took justice, but I'm so glad it's finished, I won't regale you with the stories....

Again, thanks to all for your help and your insight!

--Mav
post #8 of 45 Old 09-22-2007, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Looks GREAT! Like it a lot!

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
post #9 of 45 Old 09-22-2007, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

how did you fish the wires over to that location? horizontally through the wall or over and down through an attic? Nice finish! Definitely adds value to your house!

Oh yeah, in wall installation cables or did you run conduit?
post #10 of 45 Old 09-23-2007, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

No conduit, but I did run extra pulls and tied them off at the back of the box behind the TV. I fished them down through the basement. Given the location of the wall, up through the attic was not a possibility.

Thanks!

--Mav
post #11 of 45 Old 09-23-2007, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Are they all CL3 rated or whatever for in wall use? I take it your basement isn't finished then...I see another project!
post #12 of 45 Old 09-23-2007, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Where did you buy your wire plates at?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
post #13 of 45 Old 09-23-2007, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Looks fantastic! How are you controlling the components in the cabinet? IR Blaster?

Please comment on my home theater and bedroom theater projects!
post #14 of 45 Old 09-23-2007, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

All of the cabling is rated for in-wall use. Most of it was acquired from Monoprice. The basement is finished (and has the PERFECT dedicated HT room, so you're right, there is another project in my future), but it has a drop ceiling with about a foot between the top of the drop ceiling and the bottom of the joists, so I could run horizontally in that space.

As for the wall plates, I pieced it together from a number of different sources (Parts express, Monoprice, Ram Electronics, etc.). Look at the parts list in the first post to see exactly what's in there. If it's too difficult to read, there are higher-res versions here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/6293763...7601847942095/

Thanks.

--Mav
post #15 of 45 Old 09-23-2007, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Harmony 890 RF Remote controls the whole system.

Thanks!

--Matt
post #16 of 45 Old 09-23-2007, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #17 of 45 Old 09-23-2007, 08:39 PM

Tremendous! Nice going.
post #18 of 45 Old 09-26-2007, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

looks great! Does the off axis sound bother you any when using the articulating arm to point off to the side like that?
post #19 of 45 Old 09-26-2007, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Very nice!

Ernie
.: DVD Profiler :.

post #20 of 45 Old 09-26-2007, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post

looks great! Does the off axis sound bother you any when using the articulating arm to point off to the side like that?

Thanks!

As of the question, yes, I hate it. Here's the story with that. The picture showing the TV fully-articulated is taken from the kitchen/breakfast nook. It is COMPLETELY out of the soundstage (which ends, more or less, with the back of the oversized chair there in the pictures). So, the audio is really quite annoying when viewed from the kitchen/breakfast nook. The articulating mount was not my idea. The ONLY reason I even have an articulating mount is because my wife required it so that she could watch TV from over there (that's not intended to be sexist, it's true!). Since my wife could really care less about the audio (beyond being able to hear it), this works out for the both of us.

--Mav
post #21 of 45 Old 09-27-2007, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

thanks for the follow up. I've considered an articulating arm for my panny plasma but the speaker issue holds me up. Looks great though!
post #22 of 45 Old 09-27-2007, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

No problem. Don't get me wrong; you can still hear it when the TV is turned and you are watching from over in the kitchen/breakfast area, but it "sounds like" you need to be in the family room to really listen to it. That is, it "sounds like" you're not where you're supposed to be. I don't know if that makes any sense, but there it is, and that element of the sound is what drives me nuts. But again, it doesn't bother the wife and happy wife, happy life. So what if I could've gotten a simple name-brand tilting mount for $80 and I had to spend closer to $300 to get a quality articulating one (with a 140 pound TV, those things don't come cheap -- the mount alone weighs something like 60 pounds) -- happy wife, happy life (so I keep saying).

--Mav
post #23 of 45 Old 09-28-2007, 01:35 PM

Great project and plenty of ideas taken from it.

Can your wife see the Panasonic from the laundry as well!!!!
post #24 of 45 Old 10-08-2007, 12:50 PM

Get pictures! How far does the mount swing out?
post #25 of 45 Old 10-08-2007, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks! The mount is the Sanus VMDD26. When fully collapsed, it is just under 3-1/2" deep; when pulled all the way out, it's just over 2 feet. Sanus says it swivels 75*, but although I haven't busted out the protractor, I'm fairly confident I get a little bit more "turn" than that.

The cut sheet is here: http://www.sanus.com/pdf/technicalDr..._cut_sheet.pdf

--Mav
post #26 of 45 Old 10-08-2007, 03:54 PM

Nice set up. I just bought the same set and it's coming on Friday.

Question for you. Any reason you ran multiple video connections such as HDMI, Component etc...

I also bought a Denon 3808ci receiver and plan to run only one HDMI cable from the receiver to the set. From what I understand, everything will up-convert to the HDMI signal.

From what I have now component wise is this:

-DTV HD / DVR, HDMI into receiver
-XBOX 360 HDMI into receiver
-DVD is component into receiver
-Future plan is to get a HD DVD which will be HDMI into receiver

Then all would be HDMI from receiver to the set.

At least this is how I'm thinking this will all work.

Thanks for any suggestions / feedback...
post #27 of 45 Old 10-08-2007, 04:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Nice install. I like the wall mounted panels very clean look great for that type of living space
Enjoy
Calvin
post #28 of 45 Old 10-08-2007, 07:58 PM

NICE!!! That's one complete installation! Very PROFESSIONAL looking, actually better than some "pros" work I've seen. You did allot of work and planning and it shows, great job and thanks for the awesome post.

And so it is.... Do it right, or go home...
post #29 of 45 Old 10-09-2007, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrennan007 View Post

Nice set up. I just bought the same set and it's coming on Friday.

Question for you. Any reason you ran multiple video connections such as HDMI, Component etc...

I also bought a Denon 3808ci receiver and plan to run only one HDMI cable from the receiver to the set. From what I understand, everything will up-convert to the HDMI signal.

From what I have now component wise is this:

-DTV HD / DVR, HDMI into receiver
-XBOX 360 HDMI into receiver
-DVD is component into receiver
-Future plan is to get a HD DVD which will be HDMI into receiver

Then all would be HDMI from receiver to the set.

At least this is how I'm thinking this will all work.

Thanks for any suggestions / feedback...

Thanks to all for your compliments. We are extremely happy with it, but the fact that some AVS folks like it too really makes me feel good about it.

The reason I ran all of that cabling is I didn't want to "do it twice" and cables are cheap. Since the cabling (from MonoPrice) was relatively cheap, it was much easier to just run all the cables at once "just in case". So, as you can see from the wallplate, I ran the following:

2 complete sets of component. I am only currently using 1 (for my PS2), but if I have a need to use another, it's there for me right behind the A/V cabinet with no need to run additional wiring; just plug into the wallplate and go.

2 HDMIs. I am currently using both of these for my DVR and my DVD Player. My receiver is the H/K 347, and it has two HDMI In's and one Out (and it processes the audio via HDMI as well), so I had originally planned on running my DVR and DVD Player to the AVR via HDMI, and then running one HDMI to the TV from the AVR (and, consequently, having a "spare" HDMI input to the TV in the wallplate for "expansion" purposes). For various reasons which are sort of beyond the scope of this, I decided not to do it this way, and so I "skipped" this, and just run my DVR and DVD Player directly to the TV via HDMI and then run the audio from those components to the AVR via optical. But, if I ever get another HDMI-based component to add to the rack, it's easy enough to reconfigure it a little bit and run 2 of the 3 HDMI components to the AVR via HDMI and the 3rd one straight to the TV (with the audio going to the AVR via optical). So it's still HDMI "expandable" without running additional wiring -- which was the name of the game.

1 VGA. I am currently using this for my computer; audio is split off to the receiver via composite.

1 complete set of composite. I am currently not using this at all, but it's there in the wallplate behind the A/V rack if I ever need it.

1 S-Video. I am currently not using this at all, but it's there in the wallplate behind the A/V rack if I ever need it.

1 Coax. I am currently using this for my direct feed from my OTA Antenna. The OTA Antenna comes straight to the wallplate, then I split it -- one way goes to the TV, the other way goes to my DVR.

Again, I figured that was the surest way to be able to expand my set of source components without having to run more wires in the wall (which, at this point, would be difficult because the wall is pretty "full" of wires already). Was it overkill? Maybe, but when you look at it, what do I have "extra"? I have one set of component, one set of composite, one S-Video, and one HDMI in case I need to expand. That worked out pretty well I think.

I hope that helps you in your decisionmaking.

--Mav
post #30 of 45 Old 10-09-2007, 09:58 AM

Great job! Nice clean look.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page