Moving across the country and need advice for moving 50" plasma TV! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-04-2007, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I live in Chicago and will likely be moving to Montana soon. My prized possession is my 50" Pioneer plasma TV. If anyone here has ever had to relocate their plasma TV (especially for long distances) I would be interested in your advice on how to accomplish the move safely.

I will be using a moving service for my furniture, but I do not know if they will be able to offer proper insurance on the TV. Some movers will only insure items by weight rather than by actual value. I am very hesitant to trust my plasma TV to movers who will not be responsible for any damage.

I could also use some tips on proper packing of the TV. Does anyone have any particular services to recommend?

Would I be better of selling the TV and buying a new one in Montana?

Thanks for any help you can give me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-04-2007, 08:11 PM

If you're driving, it's worth getting a u-haul for that and your other valuables. Otherwise, pay attention to the moving company and get it shipped separately with a better provider if you have to. Try contacting the manufacturer to see if they can get you a box with the appropriate styrofoam pieces, assuming you threw yours out. That is the absolute best way to package, but it might cost you $100. Either way, I'm sure you're not the first customer with some valuable item, and they should have a way to accomodate you if they're serious about their business.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-04-2007, 11:57 PM

If the TV is in good shape and you have time, I would sell it and re-buy in Montana. Find out what it will cost to move properly insured, take that money and add it to what you can get for your used set. That is your new TV fund, and what a better reason to upgrade than a move across the country!

To quote Socrates: I drank what?
post #4 of 8 Old 10-10-2007, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. It might make sense to go ahead and sell this TV and re-buy in Montana. A friend has offered to buy it from me at whatever its current value is. Unfortunately, I have no idea what the current value is!

I have a Pioneer 5050 HD. I originally paid an exhorbitant price for it (somewhere around $6,000) and I know it is no longer worth that much. It doesn't have 1080p or some other newer features, but it is still a great set.

Does anyone have any ideas on how much this set is worth today, or any ideas where I can locate this information?
post #5 of 8 Old 10-10-2007, 12:24 PM

I know that this might sound a little crazy, but when I moved from San Francisco to Indianapolis, I moved 2 large LCD TVs as well. I was at the u-haul store buying boxes and I noticed had very large mirror boxes which worked our perfectly for me. You can also buy a small kit of styrofoam from u-haul which fits over the corners of the item and comes with a tie down strap. I placed the corners over the 4-corners of my LCD and then used the provided tie down strap. Once the LCD was in the box, I back filled it with foam peanuts, then used a great deal of tape to ensure the box stay together. I must say, the TVs got to me without a single issue. I did allow the movers to take them on their semi and like I said, it worked out just fine and it was a very cost effective approach.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-10-2007, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

I kept my panny box just in case this happened though now I wish I'd just tossed it out instead of storing it for 3 years. Sadly my panel is a 42" or I'd give you the box and packing materials.

Good luck getting a fair price for your pdp, going to be rough.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-11-2007, 11:10 AM

I moved a 42" plasma from VA to CO in the back of my VW Golf. The moving company wanted about $300 bucks, and even then they would not include it in the insurance.

Essentially it was on a flat surface (seats folded down), glass down, on 4 bed pillows, with a down comforter on top of those, then other pillows around to secure it from side to side motion. Risky, but worth it.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-15-2007, 01:26 PM

I have a 50 inch Panasonic in my family room that the moving company wanted $600 to build a custom crate for it and move it. Fortunately, I was only moving a half mile, so I had two buddies hold it in the back of a truck and we did it ourselves. Selling and re-buying is your best bet.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page