Who says you need a dedicated room? (With Pics) - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 345 Old 03-10-2011, 01:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 68
This is a serious-looking room. It probably boosts the value of your house by itself. What will you replace the Panamax with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 345 Old 03-10-2011, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuup1dmofo View Post

Excellent looking room, inspires me to redo the living room in a few years.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalker30 View Post

RobZ,

Ditto with the thanks for sharing all of your experiences. I've been paralyzed on a pending basement finishing project mainly because I couldn't decide whether to use a good chunk of my space for a dedicated HT or go with a "family room' setup with a hard slant towards HT (flat screen and PJ w/retractable screen).

After reading through these posts, along with some other source material, I've decided to go with the mixed-use space so I can also have my wet bar, game area and kids' playroom. Plus, it'll be a lot more useful when we entertain.

I'm sure I'll have lots of requests and questions along the way, but here's my first one...

Could you please provide a 'lights-on' picture of your screen down with the masking set up? It's difficult to see the setup that you've described constructing in the low-light photos.

Thanks again.

There are times when I would prefer a dedicated sound-controlled space for late night viewing. My youngest is two and I dont want to wake him with the sound or vibration. This is where I think the MBM comes in handy. The impact can be felt at lower levels if you up the MBM a bit (I know, not technically correct but it works for me). I save the higher volume stuff for weekends when I have less concern about waking the kids or keeping them up. My Sennheiser headphones sound pretty good with the new Onkyo 3008 and I was pretty satisfied with using them last night watching Book of Eli.

I will work on adding a shot of the panel this weekend. Its nothing fancy but it works incredibly well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

This is a serious-looking room. It probably boosts the value of your house by itself. What will you replace the Panamax with?

Thanks. I'm still deciding on the replacement but it will probably be something basic for the plasma and source units. The receiver will stay plugged in the wall directly. As far as home value goes, it probably wouldn't increase the value in my area but it would likely add to the appeal if I were to sell it. My last house (had dedicated room) sold very fast. I was told that the theater room was even more appealing than the pool and was the reason for the quick sale. On the down side, all gear has to be swapped out for cheap stuff or the buyer will try to include the existing stuff in the sale. Thas was nearly a deal killer in my last house. The buyer wrote down all of the model numbers and researched prices. He wanted it all (PSB speakers, Sony PJ, B&K amps, etc). He ended up with a refurb Sony LCD projector, Onkyo HTIB, and a few good things that I no longer needed (Carada screen, seating, rack).
post #333 of 345 Old 03-10-2011, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

RS2 (FPJ1) to RS20 upgrade:

I've had a little bit of time to view the RS20 that replaced the FPJ1/RS2 a couple of weeks back. So far I'm very satisfied considering the minimal cost to upgrade from one to the other. If I would have spent thousands on the same upgrade a couple of uears ago I may be less satisfied.

The RS2 was already a great projector. The contrast was excellent, brightness (at sub 200 hours) was good, sharpness was as good as I expected, and colors were not too over the top when color saturation is dialed down a little. I did not like the lack of motorized controls and handling of pans/motion. It also had a bit too much black crush.

The RS20 is more of an incremental upgrade. I'd say it really just improves on an already good display. Other than the minimal cost to upgrade there have been no cons. The pros:

-brighter (even at 400+ hours but new lamp is on the way)

-more accurate color in the calibrated mode as well as THX mode

-deeper blacks noticeable on fade to blacks (not a tremendous difference here) though still crushes blacks a bit

-love the fixed iris

-a bit sharper and more apparent three dimensionality

-better handling of pans and motion in general

-motorized control of the lens

-auto lens cover (love this)

-a little quieter (didnt have a problem with the RS2)

Prior to purchasing it I was considering the RS40. The issues it seems to have turned me off. Then I considered the RS35. Considering it is probably a very minimal improvement over the RS20 I decided it wasn't worth twice the price. Now with the RS20 I will likely hang on to it until I find an amazing deal on a Sim2 or......

post #334 of 345 Old 03-11-2011, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Newest addition to the HT is a pair of Sennheiser HD 650's and a 20 foot Moon Audio Blue Dragon V3 cable. At $1k for the combo it better be a nice substitute for the Klipsch

post #335 of 345 Old 01-20-2012, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I haven't update this thread in a while but the house is now for sale and we're moving into a larger home with a room that is going to be a small dedicated theater space (approx 14x20). Most of the equipment I already have but some changes may occur in the near future:

Moving from RS20 to RS55
12 ft wide 2.35:1 Dalite HP screen with older 2.8 gain material
Marantz SR7005
Klipsch THX Ultra II speaker system: (3) KL-650-THX and (4) KS-525-THX
2x SVS PB13 Ultra subwoofers
Hsu MBM-12
Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray
PS3 & 360 for gaming
Toshiba HD-A30 HD-DVD for HD and SD DVD
post #336 of 345 Old 01-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Good luck selling your home Rob and looking forward to see your next HT build.
post #337 of 345 Old 01-20-2012, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZ View Post

I haven't update this thread in a while but the house is now for sale and we're moving into a larger home with a room that is going to be a small dedicated theater space (approx 14x20). Most of the equipment I already have but some changes may occur in the near future:

Moving from RS20 to RS55
12 ft wide 2.35:1 Dalite HP screen with older 2.8 gain material
Marantz SR7005
Klipsch THX Ultra II speaker system: (3) KL-650-THX and (4) KS-525-THX
2x SVS PB13 Ultra subwoofers
Hsu MBM-12
Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray
PS3 & 360 for gaming

Yes,

Good luck on the sale of your home. Your new dedicated space will be just about the same size of my theater, not too big, not too small.......just right.

I do have a question I see that you still have an HD-DVD player in the mix (I too still have plans on having a HD-DVD player) but notice that you have detailed it to the SD-DVD duties as well. Do you feel that the A30 does a better job at the SD-DVD's than the Oppo? I was under the impression that SD-DVD's was one of the Oppo's strong points. I find that very interesting.

Again good luck and I will be looking forward to seeing your new space.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #338 of 345 Old 01-21-2012, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javatime View Post

Good luck selling your home Rob and looking forward to see your next HT build.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to playing with a new space.
post #339 of 345 Old 01-21-2012, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Yes,

Good luck on the sale of your home. Your new dedicated space will be just about the same size of my theater, not too big, not too small.......just right.

I do have a question I see that you still have an HD-DVD player in the mix (I too still have plans on having a HD-DVD player) but notice that you have detailed it to the SD-DVD duties as well. Do you feel that the A30 does a better job at the SD-DVD's than the Oppo? I was under the impression that SD-DVD's was one of the Oppo's strong points. I find that very interesting.

Again good luck and I will be looking forward to seeing your new space.

Regards,

RTROSE

I use my Oppo for the few times that I watch standard DVDs. I don't notice much of a difference. I may ditch the HD DVD this time.

Considering we have similar size rooms, what are your thoughts on a 12 ft wide screen? I was a bit hesitant at first but I picked up the new screen at an insane closeout price.
post #340 of 345 Old 01-21-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I use my Oppo for the few times that I watch standard DVDs. I don't notice much of a difference. I may ditch the HD DVD this time.

Considering we have similar size rooms, what are your thoughts on a 12 ft wide screen? I was a bit hesitant at first but I picked up the new screen at an insane closeout price.

Well that all depends on your viewing distance. My planned first row will be at approx 10 feet. I tried a 120" diagonal 16:9 image and for me it was too big. I dropped down to about a 114" diagonal 16:9 image and it worked much better for my viewing distance. I would say if your back at say 12-14 feet viewing distance you could probably make that work. Is it an AT screen? If not you may be slightly crowding your side speakers against the wall. That was another consideration for my screen size as well. I did not go AT so I wanted to have some "breathing room" and placement flexibility.

I notice that your going with the Marantz over your Onkyo. I was leaning with the Onkyos and then went an entirely different direction with a great deal on a Yamaha Aventage 1010. Oh, and nice upgrade on the projector.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #341 of 345 Old 01-21-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
FWIW, my first row is 12' from the screen - using an AT screen - and I ended up with 136" wide, which felt "right" (testing on a temporary screen for a couple weeks to decide) - took my wife time to adjust, initially she was tempted to ditch me and sit in the back row, now she's used to it. How far back do you think you'll be sitting?
post #342 of 345 Old 01-21-2012, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm going to keep the same L configuration seating that I currently have so placing the speakers below the screen will have to do. The screen is the original HP 2.8 gain so its not acoustically transparent. I'm planning on sitting 12-15 ft from the screen.
post #343 of 345 Old 01-21-2012, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Room looks great! How is that MBM from Hsu? Worth it? or wouldyou recommend just going with a dual sub set up?

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #344 of 345 Old 01-21-2012, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm going to keep the same L configuration seating that I currently have so placing the speakers below the screen will have to do. The screen is the original HP 2.8 gain so its not acoustically transparent. I'm planning on sitting 12-15 ft from the screen.

You should be pretty good at that distance. Might take some adjusting, but definitely is doable.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #345 of 345 Old 07-07-2014, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I ended up equipping the room with both a 63" plasma and FP. Here's my equipment list:

UPDATED 2/17/2011 *PICS WILL BE UPDATED SOON

Display (casual viewing)Samsung PN63C8000 3D Plasma
Front Projection (movie viewing):JVC RS20U on Chief RPA-u mount w/ 24" extension pole
Screen: Dalite Designer Contour Electrol 119" (58" x 104") High Power w/ IR remote system, 9 ft. wide 2.35:1 (scope) when DIY masking applied

25' HDMI -> Gefen HDMI repeater (powered) -> 15' HDMI

Onkyo TX-NR3008 Receiver
Klipsch THX Ultra II speaker system: (3) KL-650-THX and (2) KS-525-THX
SVS PB13 Ultra subwoofer
Hsu MBM-12 placed nearfield

Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray
PS3 for gaming

Panamax surge protection
Logitech Harmony 1100 remote
Universal MX-500 remote (for the kids)
Lutron dimmers w/ IR control

For acoustics, I installed thick blackout cotton velvet drapes all around. I added acoustic panels (2"), and thick pading under a thick 100%wool rug. The subs are placed farfield and nearfield next to the leather sofa/loveseat. I used Ralph Lauren Suede paint to soften the room.

Updated 3/4/11

Screen up

Nice job - looking to do the same as this non dedicated HT room.
What color Ralph Lauren did you use for the walls?
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page