Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 345 Old 11-30-2007, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Much nicer looking than the Panny. Curious to hear what you have to say about the comparison.

Ernie
.: DVD Profiler :.

post #93 of 345 Old 12-03-2007, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Well I've had a few days of playing with the VW60 so far. I've watched primarily 1080p/24 movies from my PS3. Overall I will say that the VW60 is a better projector than the Panasonic in a few ways.

First, the build quality and style of the VW60 is, in my opinion of course, much better than the Panasonic. No question. It looks nicer and has a much more solid build. The lens focus and zoom on the Panasonic is great but the Sony has remote lens shift. The Panasonic's horizontal shift is great while the Sony's sucks. The Panasonic has more lens shift capability and seems to be more flexible. Both have minimal audible noise levels and I have not heard either one during a movie.

As far as picture quality goes, I'd say they are similar in many ways. I'd give the OOTB colors edge to Panasonics Color 1 but the VW60 in low and normal mode is pretty good if not a bit undersaturated with HD sources. The VW60, in it's optimal setting, appears to be brighter in low lamp than the Panasonic in normal lamp mode and Color 1. Sharpness is a bit better with the VW60 though I'd say the Panasonic is excellent as well. There is virtually no pixel visibility with the AE2000u. The VW60 has more pixel visibility (a 12-24" away) than the Panasonic. Color uniformity was excellent on both but still appears a bit more uniform on the VW60. Black level and apparent contrast are better on the VW60. It appears to have more punch and three dimensionality to the image but not by much.

What it really came down to was when watching movies like Underworld on both, the VW60 shined a bit more due to the black level. With normal daylight type scenes they are very similar and they are both very clean and detailed with accurate colors. The VW60 looked a bit more refined. This may be due to the implementation of the smoothscreen with the Panasonic.

What ultimately appeals to me is Sony's sealed optics and my experience with their reliability as opposed to the experiences I've had with Heartland in the past. The improved black level while being brighter doesn't hurt either. I could be very happy with either. The Panasonic is obviously a better bargain at $1300 less.
post #94 of 345 Old 01-03-2008, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Now I'm awaiting delivery of a Mitsubishi HC4900. I picked one up at a price of $1399 shipped after rebates, etc. I'll post my thoughts on it next week. At 1/3 the price of the VW60 it is not fair to compare but I'll do so anyway. Even comparing it to the AE2000u is unfair as the price is comparable to the Panasonic AX200u 720P.

post #95 of 345 Old 01-03-2008, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I like the popcorn machine.
post #96 of 345 Old 01-04-2008, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #97 of 345 Old 01-05-2008, 08:00 AM

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on the HC4900 -- SOON!
Thanks,
Rich
post #98 of 345 Old 01-05-2008, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I prefer the look of the HC4900 over the AE2000u, Sanyo Z2000, and the Epsons. It's pretty compact but looks stealthy with the lens cover in place. The VW60 and JVC RS1/RS2 are still higher end in appearance though.
post #99 of 345 Old 01-07-2008, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Rob, so what did you think of the HC4900??
Now that you are looking back and have had some time to think about what you saw, which projector did you like the best?
I had the opportunity to see the VW60 today and I viewed the AE-2000 last night.
Unfortunately they were in different environments with different screens so it is really hard to say.
But my impressions are this. The Sony did seem to have a bit more contrast. It also seemed a bit brighter. But, I could see more pixilation with the Sony. Even at 1.5 times the screen width. Don't get me wrong, the image was great, but I think videofiles would get a bit annoyed

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
post #100 of 345 Old 01-12-2008, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's a few BluRay shots on the tweaked HC4900:

Mitsubishi HC4900:

post #101 of 345 Old 01-14-2008, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
RobZ,
My living room is almost identical to yours, 15X20, dark hardwood floors, lots of windows with dark blinds, vaulted ceilings (so the PJ must be mounted on the back wall and I only have 100" diagonal space between my built in bookshelves which counts out DLPs due to zoom limitations).

The only 1080 pjs that will throw a 100" image 19+' are the AE2000, PLV-Z2000, Epson 1080 UB, and Pearl (if cheated closer to screen it would throw the proper sized image).

I'm thinking that high brightness and a light gray screen are probably a necessity as I have a lot of windows and do some daytime viewing over the weekend.

Any insight you could shed on this would be appreciated.
post #102 of 345 Old 01-15-2008, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

I am so envy....you guys must be millionaires to have these toys
post #103 of 345 Old 01-15-2008, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nith View Post

I am so envy....you guys must be millionaires to have these toys

Far from it!
post #104 of 345 Old 01-17-2008, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

RobZ,
My living room is almost identical to yours, 15X20, dark hardwood floors, lots of windows with dark blinds, vaulted ceilings (so the PJ must be mounted on the back wall and I only have 100" diagonal space between my built in bookshelves which counts out DLPs due to zoom limitations).

The only 1080 pjs that will throw a 100" image 19+' are the AE2000, PLV-Z2000, Epson 1080 UB, and Pearl (if cheated closer to screen it would throw the proper sized image).

I'm thinking that high brightness and a light gray screen are probably a necessity as I have a lot of windows and do some daytime viewing over the weekend.

Any insight you could shed on this would be appreciated.

If I were you, I'd save some money and take a look at the Mitsubishi HC4900 at Projector People. You can purchase one for $1899 minus the $500 rebate = $1399. It is very bright, quiet, flexible, has great color, and is extremely sharp. Because you do not have a dedicated room, the difference in contrast compared to 1080p projectors twice the price will be minimal. I'd go with a white screen (instead of negative gain) and just add a Neutral Density filter ($39) if you want to improve the black level and take it off for sports, gaming, etc.
post #105 of 345 Old 01-17-2008, 12:56 PM

I'm new to the forum, and I'm just curious how you have so many projectors floating around at once... do you have connections or something? or are you just loaded?

Obviously you have plenty of money, because your house is amazing.

Anyway, just curious, I thought maybe you were a tester or something, but mabye you can just afford to buy and test out a bunch of projectors...
post #106 of 345 Old 01-17-2008, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontw View Post

I'm new to the forum, and I'm just curious how you have so many projectors floating around at once... do you have connections or something? or are you just loaded?

Obviously you have plenty of money, because your house is amazing.

Anyway, just curious, I thought maybe you were a tester or something, but mabye you can just afford to buy and test out a bunch of projectors...

No. It's just an expensive hobby. I'm actually realizing that I prefer "bang for the buck" over spending on something that will lose 90% of it's value in a couple of years.

Right now I'm testing out a system that is put together for around $5k, which is a real bargain. In my opinion, system gives 90% of the performance that a $15-$20K system would have given a year ago.

The system:
Mitsubishi HC-4900 $1,300
PS3 $399
Onkyo TX-SR805 $800
Dalite 119" High Power electric screen $1150
Hsu VTF3 MKII sub $600
(3) eD 6T6 LCRs $475
(2) Swan Diva surrounds $250

Overall, I'd say that I'd definitely recommend the system to anyone who wants to have performance beyond entry level at an entry level price. This system would actually be $4k if it were a manual screen (Dalite Model C HP).

The eD's are great performers for the price. I'd say they are on par with the PSB image series I'd owned previously. Although they have no brightness to their highs, which is great for movie soundtracks. The Swans are incredible for their price. They look and feel like speakers that are several times their price. I'm actually tempted to try the full system.
post #107 of 345 Old 01-17-2008, 04:08 PM

so what were all the projectors throughout this thread? the white sony, the panasonic, the black sony, the mitsubishi... were you demoing those or did you purchase them? arent those worth a couple grand a peice?
post #108 of 345 Old 01-17-2008, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I bought them. Some barely used, some new. So far I've only lost money on reselling the AE2000. The others sold for same or more than what I paid.
post #109 of 345 Old 01-17-2008, 05:04 PM

Ahhh thats what I was trying to find out... most people don't have money to buy 4 projectors of that price range...
post #110 of 345 Old 01-17-2008, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZ View Post

I bought them. Some barely used, some new. So far I've only lost money on reselling the AE2000. The others sold for same or more than what I paid.

I love your system, your room, and your house!

I love to watch movies with the volume very high, how do you handle this with the theater room open to the rest of the house.

I know my wife would throw me out of the house under these circumstances.
I guess you could schedule your theater use when everyone is watching or when everyone is gone!

Keep climbing the equipment ladder, the exercise will help you live longer because you'll never reach the top
post #111 of 345 Old 01-18-2008, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by i30krab View Post

I love your system, your room, and your house!

I love to watch movies with the volume very high, how do you handle this with the theater room open to the rest of the house.

I know my wife would throw me out of the house under these circumstances.
I guess you could schedule your theater use when everyone is watching or when everyone is gone!

Thanks for the compliments!

My last house had a dedicated room that I built with soundboard, sheetrock, and a solid core door to keep 99% of the sound in. Wow was I able to get reference levels in there without anyone else really hearing!

Now with the open design the sound is actually improved but I am almost never able to crank it. My last room had two B&K Reference amps and three subs. Now I no longer have the amps. I also sold the Klipsch THX because I felt like they were going to waste. I'm actually realizing that I should have kept them and will probably buy them again soon but with different subs.
post #112 of 345 Old 01-18-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:

The Swans are incredible for their price. They look and feel like speakers that are several times their price. I'm actually tempted to try the full system.

Rob... I hate to do it to ya, b/c you seem to have the same problem that I do with the upgraditis. I have the Original Swan Diva 6.1's L+R and The C3 center..4.2R surrounds and all I can say is OMG! The Rosewood finish would look very good in your home. The speakers look more like a beautiful piece of furniture than speakers. If you get the itch to try them out you should go for it. Oz home theater and The Audio Insider both offer a 30 day in home trial and all you have to pay for is shipping. However I'm willing to bet you won't let them go.
post #113 of 345 Old 01-18-2008, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks for the compliments!

My last house had a dedicated room that I built with soundboard, sheetrock, and a solid core door to keep 99% of the sound in. Wow was I able to get reference levels in there without anyone else really hearing!

Now with the open design the sound is actually improved but I am almost never able to crank it. My last room had two B&K Reference amps and three subs. Now I no longer have the amps. I also sold the Klipsch THX because I felt like they were going to waste. I'm actually realizing that I should have kept them and will probably buy them again soon but with different subs.

ohoh, I'm looking into my crystal ball and I see,

http://

Keep climbing the equipment ladder, the exercise will help you live longer because you'll never reach the top
post #114 of 345 Old 01-18-2008, 10:16 AM

Very nice.
post #115 of 345 Old 01-18-2008, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looks like I may be trying out some M&K S-150's next week. Can't wait. I'm interested in seeing how they compare to my Klipsch.

The style of the Onix Rockets would look great but I would be hesitant to go with towers. The center is sweet though.

post #116 of 345 Old 01-18-2008, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonmax View Post

Rob... I hate to do it to ya, b/c you seem to have the same problem that I do with the upgraditis. I have the Original Swan Diva 6.1's L+R and The C3 center..4.2R surrounds and all I can say is OMG! The Rosewood finish would look very good in your home. The speakers look more like a beautiful piece of furniture than speakers. If you get the itch to try them out you should go for it. Oz home theater and The Audio Insider both offer a 30 day in home trial and all you have to pay for is shipping. However I'm willing to bet you won't let them go.

I do have my eye on them AND the Onix Rockets. Who can argue with a combo of looks, performance, and factory direct prices?
post #117 of 345 Old 01-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I do have my eye on them AND the Onix Rockets. Who can argue with a combo of looks, performance, and factory direct prices?

I love my Rockets!!
RS550 - Fronts
RSC200 - Center (BigFoot)
RSS300 - Surrounds
+
SVS 20-39 PCI sub

Killer performance and price all around.

-t
post #118 of 345 Old 01-18-2008, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Very curious to hear about your impression of the M&K to the Klipsch setup.

Ernie
.: DVD Profiler :.

post #119 of 345 Old 01-19-2008, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Worms View Post

Very curious to hear about your impression of the M&K to the Klipsch setup.

So am I! The Klipsch were very neutral and really tamed the highs well in my room (tile, open, high ceilings). I have three S150 and two SS150 speakers on the way. I'd imagine they wll be a bit more revealing than the Klipsch but with a bit less kick to the midbass. Considering their use as monitors in film soundtrack recording studios, I think they will fit the needs of my small space well.

From M&K on the S150 system:

MK Sound at the Movies...

Award Winning MK Cinema Sound

The following films all have at least two things in common:

1. They all won Academy Awards for sound.
2. They were all made using MK speakers for sound design.

2006 - King Kong
(Best Sound Mix + Best Sound Editing)

2004 - The Incredibles
(Best Sound Editing)

2003 - Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
(Best Sound Mix)

2002 – Chicago
(Best Sound Mix)

2002 – Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
(Best Sound Editing)

2001 – Black Hawk Down
(Best Sound Mix)