Issues with a TV over a fireplace? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-26-2007, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I know this will sound silly but I have seen pictures of LCD's or Plasmas over a fireplace mantel.

Is this an issue with heat from the fireplace or anything such as that?

I am courious because I have room above my fireplace for a LCD tv, and there is a power outlet in the brick which I could if I mount it.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-26-2007, 11:58 AM

First Question: Is it a gas burning or wood burning fireplace and do you use it?

Second question: How high is the mantle?

Third Question: Is there at least a cable outlet up there as well as a power outlet?

A gas fireplace won't generate as much heat above the mantle so the LCD panel would be "generally" safe from overheating. To test, start up the fireplace and place you hand above the mantle. Too hot for your hand? Then too hot for a TV.

Take a piece of cardboard cut to the same size as your prospective LCD TV and tape it to the wall above the mantle. Sit where you would normally watch TV and ask yourself "If I watch a 2.5 hour movie from here will my neck hurt from looking up all that time?" If the answer is yes then don't do it.

Finally, if all that's available over the firepalce is power, how are you going to get a signal to the TV? Don't even think about anything wireless......there's nothing reliable at this time. Is the wall above mantle brick, wood or drywall? Can you run wires in the wall in a DIY mode or will you need the aid of an installer. If the fireplace is wood burning you have other considerations as well. If it's gas then you have option to snake wires in the wall.

If answering the first two questions still leaves you with the urge to mount a LCD panel above the fireplace then I would HIGHLY suggest you consult a qualified custom installer (look in the phonebook under Home Theater).

Good Luck!

Chuck

Perfection is highly overrated!!!
XBL GamerTag: Chas617
post #3 of 3 Old 09-26-2007, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Great answer form the previous poster. Let me add that your display came with a Normal Operating Environment requirement in the manual which states the max temp it should be operated in. Instead of the hand test, just put a thermometer on the mantle with the fireplace on and check the temp.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page