New HT Set-up, Goal is Best Value/Quality - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-08-2007, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My wife and I are moving into a new home with a 15 X 20 rectangular room that will be outfitted as a home theater. I'm an A/V enthusiast who has always wanted a HT setup, but never had the space previously (since college/marriage).

I became hooked in college when I had a stero setup with an Acurus amp and Magnepan MMG's/Polk sub that produced dynamite sound, and my hope is to recreate that sublime experience in the form of a HT setup.

My goal is to extract maximum value and quality from my budget (max: $15K), and after much research I've tentatively settled on the following equipment. Any feedback or suggestions/considerations would be greatly appreciated.

Epson Powerlite 1080p
Denon AVR-3808CI (used as preamp/processor/HDMI switch)
Emotiva MPS-1 7 X 200 watt (300watt@4ohms) Amp (considering Earthquake Cinenova 5 channel as well, but leaning toward Emotiva due to good reviews and better value/price)
Speakers (5.1 setup): Magnepan MG 1.6 front L/R, Magnepan CC3 center channel, Magnepan MC1 surround speakers rear L/R, HSU Research VTF-2 MK3 subwoofer
Toshiba HD-A3 HD-DVD player
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray/SACD player (already own)
Comcast cable DVR/HD box (already possess)
Computer (built by me Core2Duo,Nvidia 8800,2gigRAM,1TerabyteHD,DVDburner) with DVI to HDMI cable connecting to Receiver
Logitech Harmony 890 Universal Remote
Blue Jeans Cable Co cables (HDMI, interconnects, 10 guage speaker wire)
Undecided: Screen goo painted wall vs. inexpensive 100" Fixed screen with black frame

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-08-2007, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
since you have (or will have) a 1080p projector, you might want to consider the Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD player. It can do 1080p / 24 fps....a must, especially if your projector can display 24 fps. If not, it is a toss up. I know that the XA2 will do a better job of upconverting, but you didn't mention if you were going to use that machine or the PC.

I'm thinking about getting the 40GB PS3 to add to my rack (with the Toshiba HD-A2). What is the noise level like on the PS3 when watching movies? How annoying is it to not be able to control the power on the PS3 with a universal remote?

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #3 of 9 Old 11-08-2007, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip regarding the Toshiba HD-XA2; since the Epson projector does support 1080p/24, that would seem to make a better choice - I had somehow failed to notice that the HD-A3 doesn't output at that level.

The noise with the PS3 isn't too bad; the fan is variable-speed, temperature controlled. I've only noticed it once or twice while watching a blu-ray disk. As long as your viewing room is reasonably cool and your rack has decent ventilation, I don't think it'll bother you.

I have an older Harmony remote currently, and b/c I'm getting ready to do the new HT setup, I haven't bothered to try to update the controls to include the PS3 - didn't realize it wasn't possible to turn the power off and on with the Harmony - is that true? Since you can remotely turn off the PS3 with the PS3 wireless sixaxis controller, I assume you can with the Harmony universal. Even if the PS3 isn't in the Logitech database, you should be able to train the universal using the signal to power-off from the PS3 controller, right?
post #4 of 9 Old 11-08-2007, 08:23 PM
Sy-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDnFL View Post

Emotiva MPS-1 7 X 200 watt (300watt@4ohms) Amp (considering Earthquake Cinenova 5 channel as well, but leaning toward Emotiva due to good reviews and better value/price)
Speakers (5.1 setup): Magnepan MG 1.6 front L/R, Magnepan CC3 center channel, Magnepan MC1 surround speakers rear L/R, HSU Research VTF-2 MK3 subwoofer

You sure you got enough power? You don't wanna add 2 more Magnepan MC1's and use all 7 channels of 200 watts that you are paying for?

Quote:

Toshiba HD-A3 HD-DVD player

Really??? You wanna waste your money on a dead format? Nevertheless why not the HD-A30? atleast it does 1080p?
post #5 of 9 Old 11-08-2007, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

didn't realize it wasn't possible to turn the power off and on with the Harmony - is that true? Since you can remotely turn off the PS3 with the PS3 wireless sixaxis controller, I assume you can with the Harmony universal. Even if the PS3 isn't in the Logitech database, you should be able to train the universal using the signal to power-off from the PS3 controller, right?

Actually it is not possible to control it with any Harmony remote without a 3rd party USB device. The remote is blue tooth and the Harmony that your looking at only handles IR and RF. I haven't seen a universal remote that also handles blue tooth. With a 3rd USB party device you can use most of the playback functions with the harmony. Since the USB ports aren't active until the player is powered on, there is no way to power the PS3 on or off via the USB. This is another reason I have delayed buying one.

Don't believe the "HD DVD is dead" lies you will hear. IMO, both will survive and we will all have dual format players under $500 soon....but I want all my HD movies now, thus the reason I'm considering the PS3 40GB

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #6 of 9 Old 11-08-2007, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Take a look at the Panasonic AE2000u instead.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-09-2007, 02:41 AM

thanks
post #8 of 9 Old 11-09-2007, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy- View Post

You sure you got enough power? You don't wanna add 2 more Magnepan MC1's and use all 7 channels of 200 watts that you are paying for?

Given the expansive soundstage the Maggies produce, I just didn't think it would make much difference to go from 5.1 to 7.1 configuration, even though the Emotiva amp would support it. Anyone have any experience with Maggies in a 7.1 HT configuration?

Really??? You wanna waste your money on a dead format? Nevertheless why not the HD-A30? atleast it does 1080p?

Guess I'm stuck until when/if the format war ends.

thanks for the feedback
post #9 of 9 Old 11-10-2007, 05:48 PM

subscribing to this so that i can find out more about how the maggies sound in a home theater.

please post ur feedback.
good luck with the build! sounds like it will kick ass
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page