PGA Theater begins - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 283 Old 01-04-2012, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

While watching a movie a few weeks ago.... seemed that the boom boom from the sub sounded more like a click click... little more intense than that.

Pulled the sub out and opened it up to find this. Poor little guy

That doesn't make for very pretty sound. After a little googleing i found speakerworks.com
You measure your sub dimensions and they send you out a speaker refoam kit to fit. I emailed them with a question and they sent me more info about what they thought I needed.

After following their instructions... ripping off the old foam and trying to get the gasket off in one piece... taking off all the glue and using some rubbing alcohol to get all the excess glue off the cone... this is what you get..

Here is the gasket that they send. Notice how wavey the edges... Having them this wavey made it really hard to get to work...

Next comes the tedious glue session.
Glue that they sent just looked like regular elmers glue.
Using my own method and just using my fingers to go around the edge and keep pressing it down, it finally started sticking the more the glue setup.
As I started the process, it was so bad I really wanted to throw it in the trash.

Edges finally stayed down and this is what you get... I actually went upstairs with the sub and watched TV while spinning the sub and putting my finger under the cone and above it just pushing the edges together.

Glue the edges of the foam to the outside edge and glue the gasket back over the edge of the foam and turn it upside down to get that to stay... that was the easy part.

After a night of sitting... this is what you get.

I'll put the sub all back together when I get home. It looks like its pretty solid.
I got LOTR in bluray and ripped the movies to the hard drive and I started Fellowship without the sub thinking that I could watch them without it and after the first scene where sauron gets the ring cut off, the scene has a large wave of sub sound and there was none.... Thats when I knew I couldn't watch them without it and had to get it fixed.... Will watch it when I get home knowing the glue has set in for a day.... Hoping it will last for a while.

On a side note, got my screen mask to work better than I ever had... Read a little more and finally got the upper, lower and middle limit set right and have it programmed in the harmony. Now when I click the button, it goes up and down very quickly like it should... Amazing what happens when you read the instructions... That only took a year or so of doing it the wrong way for me to get it programmed right....

Mike's attempt at a Theater

DIY motorized masking system

"Name?" Shropshire Slasher
"Occupation?" Shropshire Slasher
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 283 Old 01-04-2012, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well. Got the sub put back in its container. Paradigm pdr10. Seemed to work fine. Ran it through some scenes and it seemed on par with what it was before. GREAT...........But it seems when it rains it also pours.

Turned on a movie then paused it....went upstairs, checked the sons math and went back down to see the flashing red replace the lamp light.

Sub works fine, kinda hard to enjoy a movie tho without a picture

This is like my third replacement projector from epson and this one has lasted without any issues but this lamp only lasted a little over 1200 hours. I'll try to complain to epson again and see if they'll throw in a lamp since they're supposed to last 3-4000 but I'm sure I'll have to buy one. Wouldnt mind upgrading projectors but I don't have the money for that right now.

Saw the best deal on one at purelamp.com

Curious if anyone in here has had dealings with them? Wonder what's gonna happen next.

post #273 of 283 Old 01-04-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Dude,

Well I'm sorry to hear that you're having a spate of issues here lately. Glad that you got the sub issue taken care of, but that does suck on the projector issue. Do you still have the 6100 or did they upgrade you the last time? I can't seem to remember. Now that I have a projector I know that it is only a matter of time before I reach this crossroads as well. I know that 3-4k hours is a long time to estimate a bulbs life, but seems as though they have issues at about the half way mark. The one good thing is that Epson has good customer support. Hopefully they will take care of you again.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #274 of 283 Old 01-04-2012, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Dude,

Well I'm sorry to hear that you're having a spate of issues here lately. Glad that you got the sub issue taken care of, but that does suck on the projector issue. Do you still have the 6100 or did they upgrade you the last time? I can't seem to remember. Now that I have a projector I know that it is only a matter of time before I reach this crossroads as well. I know that 3-4k hours is a long time to estimate a bulbs life, but seems as though they have issues at about the half way mark. The one good thing is that Epson has good customer support. Hopefully they will take care of you again.

Regards,

RTROSE

Yea. Still have the 6100.... This ones my third replacement. Shouldnt complain too much since I've had a 6100 since late in 2008. Bound to happen. Looking in the DIY screen thread on changing the paint of the screen to make it have more gain so i dont run the projector in the brightest setting but they only suggest you spray their newest formula. Not sure how well that would go over in a closed basement environment.

I'm very happy with the masking that I have so I really need the screen to be a painted wall since the mask is flush with the wall. Anybody ever sprayed in a finished theater and the fumes and overspray not get everywhere.

Just buy a new bulb and be happy with what I have.....always feel the needed to try new things tho

post #275 of 283 Old 01-04-2012, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzey View Post

Yea. Still have the 6100.... This ones my third replacement. Shouldnt complain too much since I've had a 6100 since late in 2008. Bound to happen. Looking in the DIY screen thread on changing the paint of the screen to make it have more gain so i dont run the projector in the brightest setting but they only suggest you spray their newest formula. Not sure how well that would go over in a closed basement environment.

I'm very happy with the masking that I have so I really need the screen to be a painted wall since the mask is flush with the wall. Anybody ever sprayed in a finished theater and the fumes and overspray not get everywhere.

Just buy a new bulb and be happy with what I have.....always feel the needed to try new things tho

I'm going the DIY screen route as well. Sent you a PM.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #276 of 283 Old 01-05-2012, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Wazzey,
Man when it rains it pours. Hopefully Epson will surprise you with some bulb consideration.
I am wondering when I will hit the "bulb wall"? My RS1 is in year #3. I changed out the first bulb at 750 hours only because I wanted to have it available as a backup bulb. I'm going to run bulb #2 till it dies. My son was playing the heck out of COD over the break - looks like bulb 2 has already achieved 1300 hours - will be interesting to see when it dies.

As for your making system, a question:
How much depth does yours require? In other words how far does it stand out from the wall. I'm thinking about going this route, but because of my curtains and wall treatments (sides and above), I may have clearance issues.

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #277 of 283 Old 01-05-2012, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

As for your making system, a question:
How much depth does yours require? In other words how far does it stand out from the wall. I'm thinking about going this route, but because of my curtains and wall treatments (sides and above), I may have clearance issues.

I'll check when i get home for exact measurments... but I went with the 1.5" tube attached to the brackets that I have pictured

I can't give you the direct link to all the parts I bought because of the way http://www.av-outlet.com/ has its site setup

closeup pic from the other thread.

I looked at your thread from page 7 and it looks like you have the room to make it work. It looks like it might run into your bass traps though... might have to redesign/cut into those a bit.
Problem you might run into is the top tube needing to be above the black border by a certain distance. Couldn't tell how much you had to work with from the your picture that I was looking at. You don't need such a wide Bar like I have so that would decrease the distance needed above the top border...
I know after I did this that there was another person that used the avoutlet motor, His method looks a lot prettier than mine. I'll see if I can find his again and see if that helps.

post #278 of 283 Old 01-05-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks this is great info! I will await your measurement - looks like the key dimension will be the distance of that "pink" vertical string away from your wall. Above my screen I have a huge bass trap that extends from the front edge of my front soffit and runs back to the front wall, just above the top edge of my screen. I have a gap up there for curtain clearance, but it is only several inches (then again with a proper mask, I could lose that short upper curtain completely)

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #279 of 283 Old 01-05-2012, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

In this pic looking at where your side curtains come into the back screen wall looks to be where the tube assembly would have to go.
If I'm looking wrong and you can get the brackets up and behind the curtain, I don't think the string would be a factor at all even if the curtains are rubbing against it. As long as the bottom mask is in some kind of channel it should go up and down freely.

post #280 of 283 Old 01-05-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Wazzey,
I just went back down memory lane on my own thread and with the shot you show above; I think I might have just enough space to make this work?? Still looking to see what you needed for overall depth...
Thanks Again!

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #281 of 283 Old 01-05-2012, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The string is 2 3/8" from the wall. The white endcap is no more than 2 1/2" from the wall.

I can email you a small clip of the mask on here if you want to see it... wouldn't let me upload it on here.

FYI before you decide to jump in on doing this...
On the setting for this motor...You can leave it unset and just use the up and down button to go slowly... but once you get the ends and middle point set, it will only go quickly. You can erase at any time.

The middle setting is so close to the bottom setting, since the aspect ratio difference isn't much, if you're on the lowest setting then you have to raise it back up to the top and then press the stop button which will bring it to the middle setting. Just letting you know that since its just a window blind motor that there are limitations.
pm me your email and I can send you that video if you want.

post #282 of 283 Old 01-06-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Wazzey,

Thanks for grabbing those measurements. I went down to my room last night and checked clearances:

The gap between my front wall surface and the backside of the overhead bass trap is 4-1/4" (my screen surface is 1-1/4" out form the wall). This should not be a problem. I think the only thing I would have to rework is, the ends of the curtain rods, where they mount close to the upper corners of my screen.

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #283 of 283 Old 06-06-2012, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

HTPC update. Back again for my 6 month checkup. Bringing my HTPC back into discussion. As in previous posts I talked about using XBMC for watching my movies but had to jump through some hoops to get the .iso bluray files to play. You had to mount them then have an external player to play them to get lossless audio. Its old news now if you know anything about XBMC but it now takes care of lossless bitstreamed audio straight from a bluray iso. All you have to do is tell xbmc which folders hold your movies and it does the rest. Click on a bluray and it just plays. It wont do menus but all my movies are nothing but the movie anyway so it doesn't matter to me. Hard to believe that is all I have to do to make it work. Thanks to everyone involved in updating xbmc.

Just thought I'd throw that out there in case anybody is looking for a simple way for the comp to play movies from your server. I even bought another HD to put some more movies on. I am living on the wild side a bit as I don't have any of the movies backed up, but getting a simple raid solution will be my next endeavor. Was thinking of something like

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111149

this for setting up raid 5 directly with usb3.0 into one of my computers.

Hope your projects are going well.

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page