In-wall speaker in insulated wall - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-09-2007, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
due to space i need to run my rears in-wall. problem is that the wall is an exterior wall and my builder uses this pulp-style insulation that they blow in there, not the 'pink-panther' wrapped stuff. (i'm new to this building thing)

as the insulation is pumped in wet and then later dries to a REAL solid pack... i'm gonn have to chisel some away to get my depth i need. is the heat generated off the speaker going to be a concern it it comes into contact with the insulation? i'm thinking i may need to create a sort of box frame to stick in the speaker cutout to prevent any insulation from hitting the speaker.

thoughts? i can provide pics if needed

EDIT: it's called 'blown-in cellulose' insulation. a paper pulp that is blown in wet initially so it will settle and compact, but then dries. it has a flame-retardant on it.

will potential settling of this stuff around the back of the speaker be enough to cause a fire hazard?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-09-2007, 06:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wouldn't worry about the insulation due to heat but your better off getting a box made by the manufacturer for the sonics anyways so that is the way to go even if you have to build them yourself.

Cheers
Calvin
post #3 of 6 Old 12-09-2007, 08:43 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked: 1107
I would buy "sealed" rear surrounds that come with "audio engineered to fit" back baffles.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-09-2007, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
well i got polk TC615i in-wall to match (sorta) my other polk rti12 fronts and csi5 center. the in-wall's sounded good at the store and i got them for 60$ online. not looking for top-end here, just adequate.

perhaps polk will have an answer for me. i'm more concerned about a fire hazard than anything else.

thanks for the replies so far
post #5 of 6 Old 12-10-2007, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A few years ago, we had 6 homes where the contractor used that kind insulation. Was a surprised when it came time to come in and install the speakers. Though it generally kept it's shape when drywall and then needed insulation was removed for the speaker, sometimes the stuff just kept falling out.
What we ended up doing was pulling out what was needed, along with enough to create about a 6" cavity above and below the speaker. We then stuffed in a bit of standard "Pink" batting insulation to still allow for the needed cavity, keeping any additional blow in insulation from falling down on the speakers.

"if you can't find the answer to life, change your questions"
post #6 of 6 Old 12-12-2007, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
once you have opened the wall with the cut-outs for the in-wall speakers, it will be easy enough to cut a 2x4 long enough to make a top baffle a couple of inches above the speaker location. It does not need to go from stud to stud, just create a "shelf" above the speaker to hold the insulation above the cut out in place. Secure it to the drywall with fast setting construction adhesive. No worry about the insulation below the speaker and the stuff above it will not settle into the speaker cone or electronics.

break:
hello "CVanMeter"......hi from a Kentucky cousin !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page