What kind of connections should I wire up inside the drywall? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-10-2007, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My TV and the rest of the A/V gear are separated by a considerable distance. So that I don't have ugly wire running all over the place, I'm going to install the wire inside the walls. My TV supports a myriad of inputs (two HDMI, two components, two composites, VGA, and S/Video). My question is should I bother supporting all of these connection types to future-proof my install, or should I just do HDMI and maybe VGA? I don't plan on buying any video equipment that doesn't support a digital output if I can help it. Also, if I ever replace the TV in the future I'll be sure to make sure it has digital inputs. So it would seem like bothering with the component, composite, and S/Video cabling would be both a waste of time and a whole lot of money.

Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-10-2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asincero View Post

My TV and the rest of the A/V gear are separated by a considerable distance. So that I don't have ugly wire running all over the place, I'm going to install the wire inside the walls. My TV supports a myriad of inputs (two HDMI, two components, two composites, VGA, and S/Video). My question is should I bother supporting all of these connection types to future-proof my install, or should I just do HDMI and maybe VGA? I don't plan on buying any video equipment that doesn't support a digital output if I can help it. Also, if I ever replace the TV in the future I'll be sure to make sure it has digital inputs. So it would seem like bothering with the component, composite, and S/Video cabling would be both a waste of time and a whole lot of money.

Opinions?

I would run HDMI providing thats what your gear is running on now or what you expect it to be running on. Fry's sells some nice wall plate/hdmi deals.

If you want to future proof the situation run conduit from the location to that of your other equipment and leave a pull string inside the conduit....that way if something changes you can simply pull the new wires.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-10-2007, 06:21 PM

run some 2" conduit then you can easily run whatever cables you want and change them out when something new comes along or a cable goes bad. future proof and cheap
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page