Low on space--Any good Reciever/DVD Player out there? What about HTIB? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 32 Old 12-10-2001, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi! I'm wondering if there is any new, decent product out there that works as both a Digital Reciever and a DVD player, and has some decent amplification for a 5.1 system? I am very low on space, and this seems to be the only solution available for me. What products are out that do this? Also, is there anything that is part of a decent Home Theater In a Box that does this? This is to be used in a bedroom system?

You see, I do not have much space, either for sattelites or a reciever; I can only get one 'black box', and the speakers have to be something small and thin that can be on a stand next to my bedroom TV.

I was thinking of either forgetting the speakers for now, and asking for any reccomendations of up to ~$700 for a one-unit Reciever/DVD player. I would like something amplified fairly well, so, if I the right find speakers for it, it can drive them.

I was also thinking of a Home Theater in a Box system? I was looking at the sony DAV-C900, because it is so small and has the right width of stands/speakers, and is cheap, but I believe that might not have enough sound quality. What about a HTiB made by JVC? Denon? I hear the Boston Acoustics/Kenwood Unity is one of the better HTiB's; but that is slightly over budget. I could stretch to buy a set, but then I would have to buy stands.

What about for now, forgetting the speakers and simply getting a one-box Reciever/DVD Player/Amp? What is there for that? If I go down that path, what cheap, physically small speaker systems might work? Thank you.

Eep!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 12-11-2001, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

What about Kenwood? Do they make any good combo DVD Player Reciever? Anyone? Help?

Eep!
post #3 of 32 Old 12-11-2001, 01:09 PM

Liked: 12
Another thing to consider is putting your equipment in a different room and using IR repeaters - then your equipment would not take up ANY space at all (except for the speakers).
post #4 of 32 Old 12-11-2001, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Uh, sorry, I guess I'm kinda a newbie here.

What do these do and what are their limitations? Where do I get them? I don't yet _have_ a reciever or DVD player yet, and I really doubt that I'll end up using these repeaters...the nearest place I could put these would be in a small, side hallway next to this room. Would I have to put these repeaters all over my bedroom to get a clear signal path? I have an IR headphone extension, which is used with this system...would that interfere? Really, does anyone have any information at all about these combo boxes? What about HTiB's? I don't even know what 'thin cheap 5.1 speaker system with stands' might be worth considering... Anyone? How much signal degredation will I get with these repeaters? The holidays are coming, and I'm hurting here...any advice?

Eep!
post #5 of 32 Old 12-11-2001, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Uh, is this a place where someone can help me? Or should I look elsewhere?

Eep!
post #6 of 32 Old 12-12-2001, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Where else should I look for answers to these questions? I dont seem to be getting any replies...

Eep!
post #7 of 32 Old 12-13-2001, 02:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Gluegun,

You're in the right place. Unfortunately, most people don't have your space restrictions.

There are some companies that sell excellent small speakers, but they tend to be much more expensive than your budget. There are also sources of reasonable in-wall speakers, but they're usually rather expensive, too.

IR repeaters would just let you use a remote control from some room other than the one where the electronics is. You'd still have to run some heavy guage wires through doorways (or walls) to the speakers.

I have no experience with any of the dvd/receiver combination boxes. I'd suggest getting one from a local store and making sure they'll let you return it for any reason at all in case you really don't like it.

I suspect that a really small bedroom wouldn't have the best acoustics, so really expensive speakers might not be appropriate. Have you considered some high quality multichannel headphones instead?

I hope this helps a little.

Selden
post #8 of 32 Old 12-13-2001, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, what is most important is DVD and Sound capability... we already have some good headphones connected to an IR extension with this system, and, uh, there isn't a good set of multichannel headphones out yet; the sony one's suck, the akg one's suck, the good akg one's aren't out yet (and, what's more, even thebad akg ones aren't in the states, last I heard...), and the only way to get dolby headphone is one particular high-end denon Reciever, and I want a DVD/Reciever combo... which that one isn't.

Also, we want to put the rear speakers in the wall, against which the bed is set. Basically, it will be right above the viewer's heads, and maybe six inches behind. What specific designs would negate the problem of this placement as much as possible? It is one type of speaker, correct?

I also heard that JVC made some good HTiB's, as did Boston Acoustics/Kenwood (the 'slightly over budget' one I am looking at). However, while I have the names of some companies that supposedly make DVDP/Reciever combo's, I don't have a single clue about what models. I can't even find product sheets... I'll go look again soon, but I haven't found much yet...

And for the speakers, they are secondary. It might be best/cheapest to simply get the electronics, and save the speakers for later....but, the problem is, which electronics to get? Should I just go by wattage? I am thinking of adding some sort of subwoofer, to at least get some bass; that is on my to-do list as well.

Eep!
post #9 of 32 Old 12-15-2001, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

*frowns*

Bump? Chanukah's almost over, guys.....

Eep!
post #10 of 32 Old 12-15-2001, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you checked Barney Millers downtown?

Dave
post #11 of 32 Old 12-15-2001, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hmmm......not yet.....

Duh. :)

Eep!
post #12 of 32 Old 12-15-2001, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

post #13 of 32 Old 12-16-2001, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Polk makes some great all-in-one solutions. They include DVD Pre-Amp and then all the space (amp space) is in the subwoofer. The speakers are also thin and can be placed on the wall.

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/products.php?category=1

------------------------------------
post #14 of 32 Old 12-16-2001, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

That is well out of our budget;

our budget is around $700, maximum REALLY BIG STRETCH, $1000. For now, we are going to be putting the DVD Player/whatever ON TOP OF the TV, which already has a VCR and a DirecTV box on it--very little space left.

We are also going to buy a big piece of furniture, an 'armoir' sort of deal to put the TV in, as well as some clothes, and we have had difficulty finding one that will work in our specifications. So, we are thinking of 'we are going to get this big piece of furniture, why not get a DVD player to go with it?' However, the problem is that because we are buying this as furniture to fit FIRST, everything we have found so far does NOT have enough places for a DVD player AND a reciever. So, we need one combo box. And maybe we can add some sort of home theater capability, as an afterthought. But we won't be buying any big home theater stuff--the reciever/dvd player is going to have to power the speakers all on it's lonesome, for example. And, if we get some thin stands and speakers, we will only have about 9" of clearance on either side of this piece of furniture (and thereby, the TV) for speaker AND stand...

We were thinking of placing both the left and right channel to the LEFT of the TV, where we have a lot of wall space (and a painting hanging in a PERFECT spot for a plasma TV....but we aren't getting a plasma TV, because of budget....), but, that is generally a very bad idea...

Eep!
post #15 of 32 Old 12-17-2001, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Bump?

Does anyone know where to find the product pages or any information about any DVDP/Recievers that DO NOT COME WITH speakers? Ones that are not part of a HTiB? Thanks!

Eep!
post #16 of 32 Old 12-19-2001, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

*sigh* Bump? I feel guilty about these bumps, but, egad, i need some help, still.

Eep!
post #17 of 32 Old 12-19-2001, 07:39 PM

onkyo did make a combo receiver/dvd player a few years back. i believe it had a dd and dts decoder with 5x55 watts of power. i don't believe they make it anymore, but you could probably find it used somewhere on the web if your interested. the model is the dr-90. good luck!
post #18 of 32 Old 12-21-2001, 10:01 AM

post #19 of 32 Old 12-21-2001, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Actually, we were looking at THIS to start out with:

http://www.sonystyle.com/electronics/prd.jsp?pid=12081

But it might be too low sound quality, I'm guessing. We found a place to get it for ~$700, which is what we were looking at FIRST...

Eep!
post #20 of 32 Old 12-21-2001, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

post #21 of 32 Old 12-21-2001, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Does anyone know where I can get an "Onkyo dr-90", or perhaps a newer version that is not discontinued? I can find a lot of stuff about this on the net, but no places to buy one used. Help?

Eep!
post #22 of 32 Old 12-24-2001, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Gluegun-
A bit impatient aren't we! :D

Your situation has at least three variables.....quality, price and size.

At the $700 price point, your best best is going to be to go to your local stores and look at the options. That's really the only place you'll be able to see all of the different factors that your decision will be based on.

At $700 - $1000 you can't expect to get it all. Let your ears be the judge, and decide which one of the features/specs you can live without.

Steve
post #23 of 32 Old 12-24-2001, 07:54 PM

Here are some suggestions:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...8DAVC700&o=&a= Very good for the money, plus it plays Super Audio CD's.

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...HTD510&o=P&a=0

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...SCHT70&o=P&a=0

http://www.abcstereo.com/panschomthea.html

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/Sou..._cm_00,00.html For some reason, the Sound and Vision article won't link. Just goto their website, click the hot topics and the Panasonic is included in the $1500 all-in-one home theater review.
Hope this helps.....
post #24 of 32 Old 12-24-2001, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yea, we've been looking at HTiB's.... but we haven't gone to listen to them yet, you know? From what I heard from you all in the past, though, is that a lot of them are somewhat lacking in sound quality.

Is there any way to buy, new and at a cheaper price, all of the electronics that would go with a HTiB, but not the speakers?

Eep!
post #25 of 32 Old 12-27-2001, 09:27 AM

Gluegun,

Here is one the might suit your needs. Yes I know it's two seperate components, and it comes with speakers. But, it has great upgrade potential and could get you by for the short haul, until you could buy better satellite speakers.

The main problem with most HTIB's especially the sony's is that you can't really upgrade the speakers, because they have crossovers that are built in, which are tuned for the speakers that come with the unit.

With this yamaha your basically getting top notch components with so-so speakers. Speakers are not that expensive to upgrade.

I'm running a Yamaha in my bedroom myself and it sounds great. My speakers are the Energy Take 5's. It was my primary system, until I upgraded to a Denon 3801 and Paradigm's in my living room.
post #26 of 32 Old 12-27-2001, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Jarred!

That's some really great info--upgreadability of the speakers is a BIG concern, after all! Any ways, I'll look into that unit. I'm also scanning ebay and ubid for that Onkyo one! Know anything else about upgradeable HTiB's?

So far, the help so far has been great!

Eep!
post #27 of 32 Old 12-27-2001, 04:15 PM

nowadays, there are several home theater in a box designs. if you insist on having a pre/pro/amp/dvd player all squeezed into the same box, my mom picked up a sony unit that is descent enough for the non-hifi oriented people. onkyo, yamaha, and cambridge soundworks make some 'multimedia systems'. boston acoustics would be my choice for a micro system. their system costs $600 but is only amplification, speakers, and video switching. it is one of the best performers that i have had a chance to demo.
post #28 of 32 Old 12-27-2001, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

What about the Boston Acoustics/Kenwood Unity system? It is a complete HTiB, I believe....

It should have okay sound, I'm guessing. Or does it? How upgradeable is it?

Any thoughts?

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/pr...productId=2368

Eep!
post #29 of 32 Old 12-29-2001, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Also! What about these Onkyo minisystems? Is there any word on these? Upgradeability? Sound quality?

http://www.onkyousa.com/prod_class.cfm?class=minisys

The 925 looks interesting... thoughts? Is this one of the upgradeable ones, or not?

Heh, I'm asking the same questions about the BA/Kenwood system, LOL!

Eep!
post #30 of 32 Old 01-01-2002, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hmmmm....I read this...

"In another technology partnership, the company plans September shipments of the $1,000-suggested Unity home theater system, which features compact Boston Acoustics speakers, a Kenwood-made DVD-receiver and active equalization and crossovers tailored for the Boston-designed speakers.

A version without Boston speakers was also introduced."

Does this mean the Unity system can't be upgraded??

Eep!
Closed Thread General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page