Queen's Future HT - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1592 Old 01-11-2009, 04:46 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 579
When I said finish I meant put the Faux finish on the boards before they are cut and attached to the walls. It's a lot easier and QUICKER ($$$$) than trying to keep the paint off of your fabric.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1592 Old 01-11-2009, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Am I the only one that knows everything?

they filmed the scenes with locater dots on his face then layered on the CG.

Cool shyt!
post #453 of 1592 Old 01-11-2009, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

When I said finish I meant put the Faux finish on the boards before they are cut and attached to the walls. It's a lot easier and QUICKER ($$$$) than trying to keep the paint off of your fabric.

Oh yes, that is the plan. They will be entirely 'finished' beforehand. The GC is extremely worried about getting paint on the fabric walls and hence has chosen that route (as well as consulting the painter because of the faux finish). Parents are watching "Wanted" right now but I've got to get my kids to bed soon so maybe my husband and I can catch it later tonight. By the way, I've received the golden seal of approval. Yesterday, as we were watching a movie, my three-year old son turned to me and spontaneously remarked, "Mommy, this is a good theater".
post #454 of 1592 Old 01-12-2009, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Another note. I was looking at your wiring close up shots and noticed that your Pre-amp and Amps provide for balanced "professional" connections but that the other connection options were used.

Don't worry, I did not forget about this. Followed up with the HT guy on this. He mentioned that he will swap them out for balanced cables on the second visit. They did not have them on-hand for the first visit.
post #455 of 1592 Old 01-12-2009, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post

Good catch by your GC! The screen will be much easier to take down and put back up when using the bracket (and two people).

It's amazing how many screws I used to make sure that my screen wouldn't come crashing down.

When I mounted mine, I screwed an 11' 2x4 to the ceiling with two 3.5" wood screws at each joist (16" OC). I then screwed another 2x4 to the first, nearly as frequently. I then mounted the metal mounting bracket that came with the screen to the bottom 2x4. I used 1.5" screws for that and put one in every available hole.

My screen isn't going anywhere.

Spoke at length with Ruben on this issue who consulted with my HT guy. Ruben says given my setup (i.e. false wall with studs and acoustic treatments) that the four drywall screws into the studs will be sufficient (no L bracket necessary). The pros wouldn't steer me wrong right? Is anybody worried for my screen?

Still need to take more screen shots. I'm embarrassed of the ones I posted earlier. But I'm just too tired tonight.
post #456 of 1592 Old 01-13-2009, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As promised, some more screen shots (with the tripod this time). I used the auto setting. Still not exactly capturing the actual colors though. Especially, in the Harvey Dent shot, the pillows photographed green even though they were more white on screen. Probably can get better shots using the manual settings instead. Remember, these are pre-calibration shots, running strictly on THX mode.

Was particularly pleased with this shot.

post #457 of 1592 Old 01-13-2009, 08:05 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Looks great!

What is that blue line on the bottom of a couple of the shots? is that a pause indicator?
post #458 of 1592 Old 01-14-2009, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looks great!

What is that blue line on the bottom of a couple of the shots? is that a pause indicator?

Thanks. Yes, it's the pause bar. Though I'm not quite sure why it only showed up in a few of the pics. Perhaps it disappears eventually so maybe those few I took them faster? Very curious whether I'll be able to spot any noticeable differences post calibration. Others have said it's like night and day while yet some others say the THX mode is fine. Four more days and I'll have my answer.
post #459 of 1592 Old 01-14-2009, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
woohoo.... nice pics and congrats on getting closer. Pics look great. Definitely tell us what you think of post calibration being a lot better or not. Always like to watch ratatouille, I like to put it in every once in a while for the colors and especially the sound. enjoy

Mike's attempt at a Theater

DIY motorized masking system

"Name?" Shropshire Slasher
"Occupation?" Shropshire Slasher
post #460 of 1592 Old 01-16-2009, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzey View Post

woohoo.... nice pics and congrats on getting closer. Pics look great. Definitely tell us what you think of post calibration being a lot better or not. Always like to watch ratatouille, I like to put it in every once in a while for the colors and especially the sound. enjoy

Thanks Mike. To be honest, I'm not sure I'll be able to tell the difference. However, side-by-side screen shots should tell the story.

On a separate note, finally got the call from the granite shop that they cut the slabs for the kitchen so I could come down and see the leftover remnant. Picked out "aurora dorado". Most likely they will come template sometime next week. Finally, some progress with the bathroom!

Here's a link to my granite. Couldn't save it as a pic.

http://www.brunolucchetti.it/eng-sit...TO&format=oriz
post #461 of 1592 Old 01-17-2009, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tomorrow is the BIG day. Crew expected to arrive around 9 a.m. Will try and take as many final pics as possible. Totally wiped as I'm sick as a dog but yet spent 5 hours straight taking down the Christmas tree and decorations all by myself. Great though that I've got all these new sturdy boxes to swap my stuff into . Will post tomorrow after they leave.
post #462 of 1592 Old 01-17-2009, 06:15 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

Will try and take as many final pics as possible.

Remember to charge up that camera, no excuses for lack of pictures.
post #463 of 1592 Old 01-18-2009, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bad news. HT crew cancelled at the last minute due to a family emergency. I'm not sure of what happened but I hope everything is ok. They're scheduled to come back next weekend. So I guess it will be another week of screen shot postings...sigh .
post #464 of 1592 Old 01-18-2009, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 64
Queen,

Bummer on the cancellation. 8 days from now all will be better!

A question; does your HT crew include Jason T from AVS.
Curious; as I bought my RS1 and my Marantz from him - both were great dealings.

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #465 of 1592 Old 01-18-2009, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, indeed that is my crew .
post #466 of 1592 Old 01-20-2009, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quick update: HT crew may be coming on Saturday instead . Progress on the bathroom as the granite guy is coming to template tomorrow.
post #467 of 1592 Old 01-21-2009, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 64
I hope the crew shows up on Saturday - I'm thinking the waiting is making for a long week for you.

We are also awaiting new photos to be envious of ...!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #468 of 1592 Old 01-21-2009, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Out of boredom snapped a few more pics of the unfinished room and a couple from "Cars" and "Wall-E". Haven't really had time to view another movie since "Wanted" which was mindless entertainment. Trying to post these in-between commercials for Lost. Too bad my cable feed isn't hooked up otherwise I could watch it in full glory in the HT. Maybe on Saturday for the repeat.

Rear

Front

Left Wall

Right Wall

More Screen Shots - Only Came Out Ok

post #469 of 1592 Old 01-22-2009, 03:42 AM

Queen,
What speakers did you end up going with ?

I think I've read your thread 10 times. I may have missed it.

It's great.
post #470 of 1592 Old 01-22-2009, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wuudogg, I ended up going with Triad speakers. For fronts, InWall Gold LCRs,InWall Gold Surrounds for the sides, InWall Silver Surrounds for rears and two InRoom Gold Powersubs with 500 amp racks. Thanks for checking in so many times. When the room finally gets finished I'll try and post the full equipment list.
post #471 of 1592 Old 01-22-2009, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

HT crew scheduled for Saturday morning . Unfortunately, the room still won't be totally done when they're finished as the trim work/doors still remain. GC will likely have the painter stop by next Wednesday since that's the day the he will be on-site installing the shower door and other bathroom accessories while the granite countertop and shelves get installed.
post #472 of 1592 Old 01-23-2009, 12:48 PM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Wow, can't believe you're almost done.. it must feel great!

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
post #473 of 1592 Old 01-24-2009, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

HT crew is on-site . Columns almost finished being wrapped. So glad I opted for the color match with the walls instead of black. I'm really pleased with it. And the fabric was tightened up on the walls by the sconce as well. Will post a ton of pics later.
post #474 of 1592 Old 01-24-2009, 12:41 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

it's been almost 4 hours. This image just popped into my mind:

post #475 of 1592 Old 01-24-2009, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Day 57: Guys were here a lot longer than I had expected. I thought they would be done in a few hours but in fact it was over seven. And...we're not totally done yet . Equipment, set-up and calibration etc. all done for the HT, but a few little items remain. Can't get a radio signal with the Marantz so HT guy will have to pick up some kind of antenna/transmitter. Also, the Marantz is unable to do dual HDMI simultaneously so HT guy has to pick up some kind of HDMI amplifier so that we can leverage the equipment for the LCD in the playroom. Also, the corner moldings were not done since the trim is not in place yet so HT guy did not know precise measurements. They will be in the neighborhood in two weeks so a quick visit to finish up the remaining items.

Ok, but let's get to the good stuff. The false wall was fixed with the removal of two studs on each side. L and R speakers positioned further out and slightly toed in. Exposed studs directly behind the screen wrapped in black velvet. Fabric tightened up on the walls and columns fully wrapped. Balanced professional cables were used to connect the amp/pre-amp and the rack finished up with fillers. Full audio and video calibration performed. And as promised here are the pics.

post #476 of 1592 Old 01-24-2009, 08:25 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

post #477 of 1592 Old 01-25-2009, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Neglected to mention that my Lutron dimmers were defective and are not dimming. They only come on and off. So when we were watching "Iron Man" (one of my favorite super hero movies) last night and I had to get up to check on the kids I was unable to get the lights on with the remote. Thinking I could navigate easily in the dark I just held onto the chairs. Of course, my foot fell into the only dangerous place it could fall into. In hindsight, I should have made the step butt up against the chair. I am reluctant to move the chair right up against it now because then it would make the aisle even more narrow and contact with the GOM more likely. I could try and push the chairs more to the left to make the gap even bigger but not sure if that's a good idea. Or, just not worry about it because once I get the replacement dimmers the lights will go on when we pause a movie.

Also, HT guy had a really good idea. He suggested putting some kind of small trim (like picture box) on the top and bottom of the columns that would be painted to match the trim. This would give the columns more dimension. I really like the idea but am not sure of whether it's worth it considering that much of my room is hidden by the chairs already. Only have a little time to think about it since the painter will likely be engaged sometime later this week. Any thoughts?

Oh, and admittedly, we were not able to discern a huge difference with the calibration but we also did not view a movie that we watched prior to the calibration. I'll try to do some similar screen shots later this week. Having family over in a couple hours so it will be our first sold out showing .
post #478 of 1592 Old 01-25-2009, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Looking good!

The extra moldings on the columns would probably look good, though I'd probably only do it if I did something similar all around (on the walls too).

I think once the chair rail is in, you'll get some added dimension.
post #479 of 1592 Old 01-25-2009, 12:12 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Did you save any leftovers from the carpet? maybe you have your GC fashion a little extension/plug you could stick in that gap and cover with the scrap. It will keep someone else from sticking their foot in there.

I'm taking a close look at the detail of the fabric at the doors.

It is really hard to tell from your pics how the furring around the doors was positioned but you may need to plan for how that fabric edge is going to get covered and Faux finished to match the trim and doors.

I guess your GC could run some lattice over that edge if he left enough space.

I stapled the fabric to the front face of the furring and it got covered by the case molding. You could do the same and slice off the excess fabric. But since you did a two part furring build up the visible edge may not be finish worthy.

post #480 of 1592 Old 01-25-2009, 01:35 PM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

Wuudogg, I ended up going with Triad speakers. For fronts, InWall Gold LCRs,InWall Gold Surrounds for the sides, InWall Silver Surrounds for rears and two InRoom Gold Powersubs with 500 amp racks. Thanks for checking in so many times. When the room finally gets finished I'll try and post the full equipment list.

First of all, your room is looking great. I had a question about the use of the Triad inwalls for your front wall. I had planned on using the Gold Classic LCR inwalls for my front wall, but Dennis Erskine had said that you need to have drywall surrounding the inwall speakers for a few feet on either side and recommended that I use inroom speakers if I couldn't do this. I see that yours are placed against the front wall, and was wondering if that served the same purpose?

Thanks,
CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Projectors , Speaker Systems , Chief , Wall Mount , Samsung Ln46a650 46 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv With Red Touch Of Color , Monoprice , Marantz Av8003 Networking Preamplifier , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Marantz , Replacement Projector Tv Lamp An K9lp For Sharp Xv Z9000 Xv Z9000e Xv Z9000u Projectors Tvs , Marantz Sr8002 Surround Receiver
Gear in this thread - Z9000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page