Queen's Future HT - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1592 Old 03-13-2009, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
you did, thats why I was confused about the staining process...but it all makes sense now. you cant use regular wood stain if it is not being applied to wood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1592 Old 03-13-2009, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Trim delivery day!! And my mount was delivered too. The painter left all of the trim in my 'filled with basement junk' garage. That's where I enter the house so I could barely wait to flip on the light. And boy, I sure wasn't disappointed. It's exactly the color I wanted . He did an awesome job! I think they came out spectacular. Snapped a few quick photos. Still need to haul in the really long strips but will do that tomorrow in the daylight. The only thing left for the painter is the fluted door trim and a coat of poly on the doors. Of course, some touch-up as well after installation.

post #723 of 1592 Old 03-13-2009, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Wow from white MDF to that is pretty amazing, your friend is a great painter and gave you a great price!

post #724 of 1592 Old 03-13-2009, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnwalters View Post

Wow from white MDF to that is pretty amazing, your friend is a great painter and gave you a great price!

My thoughts exactly! Very talented guy. I will definitely be hiring him to paint the interior of my house. I have quite a few rooms, including my large foyer that are in desperate need of re-taping and painting. Plus, my sister wants her house painted too. So we'll be keeping him busy .
post #725 of 1592 Old 03-13-2009, 08:26 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Better than the samples!

But, Get those boards un-wrapped and separated as soon as possible. The finish is still too "wet" to sit together. They may stick.
post #726 of 1592 Old 03-14-2009, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnwalters View Post

My thoughts exactly.
Queen - Your painter did you well >> seems luck is on your side !!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #727 of 1592 Old 03-14-2009, 09:21 AM

Queen
Your doors turned out great. After watching your painter do the doors you now see why its hard to explain the process in writing. Just make sure you now have at least two good coats of poly on to protect the surface. You will want to save a little of the stain for touch ups as things will get bumped.
If you still have a sheen issue with the touch up the painter did lightly(3m scuff pad) sand the entire door once everything is dry and reapply the poly to the whole door.I'm getting ready to do three of the same doors in my basement . Hope they trun out as good as yours.
Ted
post #728 of 1592 Old 03-14-2009, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgamble View Post

Queen
Your doors turned out great. After watching your painter do the doors you now see why its hard to explain the process in writing. Just make sure you now have at least two good coats of poly on to protect the surface. You will want to save a little of the stain for touch ups as things will get bumped.
If you still have a sheen issue with the touch up the painter did lightly(3m scuff pad) sand the entire door once everything is dry and reapply the poly to the whole door.I'm getting ready to do three of the same doors in my basement . Hope they trun out as good as yours.
Ted

Thanks Ted! It was your thread that gave me the inspiration and confidence that it could be done so thanks for documenting your process. As a matter of fact, that Saturday morning when he came out to give me a quote I was on my way next to the paint store that tracked down the Old Master's graining base for me. But he convinced me to wait a few days for his sample and I'm sure glad I did. I couldn't be happier...well unless the HT was done already .
post #729 of 1592 Old 03-15-2009, 07:29 PM

queendvd2:

The stained trim looks awesome. I can't wait to see pics of all the trim and doors installed. Your build is coming together amazing.
post #730 of 1592 Old 03-16-2009, 09:51 AM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Awesome job. I had planned on using hardwood doors and trim, but now I'm thinking that this might be a better (less expensive) way.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
post #731 of 1592 Old 03-16-2009, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Fantastic finishing work!

You are in the home stretch... whats the current punchlist looking like before you can call the theater done?
post #732 of 1592 Old 03-16-2009, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for all the accolades...for my painter . He applied the first coat of poly to the doors and jams this morning and returned in the afternoon to apply the second coat but it still wasn't dry. So he'll be back tomorrow for the second coat. I just checked and it's dry now. I can't help but wonder how the fluted door trim is coming out since my GC actually picked up real hardwood for that. Of course, when my painter went to see if he could exchange for primed mdf instead HD was out of it. He has reassured me it will look like the doors. He said he'd just prime it and paint it white as a start and then apply his technique. I know in theory it should work, but here's keeping my fingers crossed for a match.
post #733 of 1592 Old 03-16-2009, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post

Fantastic finishing work!

You are in the home stretch... whats the current punchlist looking like before you can call the theater done?

Thanks Jamis.

Punch List
  • Secure wrapped corner guards to rear corners
  • Find appropriate molding (that will need to be wrapped in GOM) for area surround the LG a/c and baseboard directly below it
  • Install base, chair and crown once #1 and #2 are done
  • Install doors and fluted trim
  • Touch up paint on the ceiling (scuff marks from columns)
  • Install Lutron dimmers
  • Finish up programming of MX-980
  • Cover hole up by the projector, although the Panamax PC may cover it
  • Fasten column by the light switch to be flush against the wall
  • Final audio and video check-run Audyssey again

#2 is the trickiest because it has to be thin enough to still allow my LG vents to open up on the sides and bottom.
post #734 of 1592 Old 03-16-2009, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I had my doubt's when I saw the pink doors but they did turn out vary sharp and I'm sure 100 times cheaper then real cherry or mahogany doors & trim

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #735 of 1592 Old 03-16-2009, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

queen, are you programming the MX-980 yourself? Just curious because that is the remote I was eying and if you are doing it yourself I would be curious to learn about how difficult it may be, as opposed to paying a guy to do it, although that is always way easier...
post #736 of 1592 Old 03-17-2009, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits View Post

queen, are you programming the MX-980 yourself? Just curious because that is the remote I was eying and if you are doing it yourself I would be curious to learn about how difficult it may be, as opposed to paying a guy to do it, although that is always way easier...

Smaks, I am paying my installer to program the MX-980. You might want to drop Shawn (aka Best Room in the House guy) a pm since he already commented a page or so back on how he really liked the remote (had in HT 1.0) but opted not to go that route for 2.0 because it was so difficult to program.
post #737 of 1592 Old 03-17-2009, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJO View Post

Awesome job. I had planned on using hardwood doors and trim, but now I'm thinking that this might be a better (less expensive) way.

CJ

CJ, you might want to check out Ted's (tgamble) thread as well where he docmented his approach. He started out with a mauve color as a base and then applied Old Master's wiping stain. I was going to use this method myself as I had successfully tracked down the Old Master's graining base (the mauve color paint). Ted didn't use Old Master's for his base and it still came out great. I had called OM myself and got conflicting advice depending on who I spoke with-one guy said other products won't work as well in the base while another said just color match.

For my painter's method, he simply used an oat color (Behr paint of course since he works at HD-which btw does NOT give their employees a discount-go figure) as the base coat. Then he applied the neon red with 'dirty' smidgeons of brown. Next, he used Minwax gel stain (red mahogany), followed by two coats of poly. Just realize that Ted used the wiping STAIN while my painter used the wiping GEL. They appear to be very different products.

BTW, sorry to hear about your wife and her team getting laid off. That stinks. We've already had two rounds at my firm and are bracing ourselves for a rumored third.
post #738 of 1592 Old 03-17-2009, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post

I had my doubt's when I saw the pink doors but they did turn out vary sharp and I'm sure 100 times cheaper then real cherry or mahogany doors & trim

You and me both Scott! After coming home from work and seeing those screaming red/pink doors I was beginning to second guess my choice of a painter. But I should have just had more faith .
post #739 of 1592 Old 03-17-2009, 07:39 AM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the thoughts- she has had a few interviews and they said that they would be getting back to her with an offer late this week or early next week. It's a good position, but would require quite a bit of travel in the near term.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
post #740 of 1592 Old 03-17-2009, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJO View Post

Thanks for the thoughts- she has had a few interviews and they said that they would be getting back to her with an offer late this week or early next week. It's a good position, but would require quite a bit of travel in the near term.

CJ

Well that sure was fast! Perhaps she can double dip, with the severance and the new job. Then your HT will be back on track . All kidding aside, hope it all works out. We've all been there at one time or another.
post #741 of 1592 Old 03-17-2009, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Painter applied the second coat of poly to the doors and jams. They're looking mighty fine. Tomorrow he is dropping off the fluted door trim. Hope it's on par with the other pieces. GC's temporary commercial gig must have gotten extended. I've left him numerous telephone messages to no avail. After I get the door trim and know everything is ready I'll apply some pressure for him to come out either this Saturday or next to get my trim installed. I'm going through withdrawal not be able to watch a movie-and the kids are anxious too. So I was thinking when everything is all 'done' perhaps I should have a true grand opening but not sure which flick to pick. Any suggestions for the second grand opening (hey if stores do it all the time why can't us HT enthusiasts do it too )? I've still got "Transformers" in the queue.
post #742 of 1592 Old 03-18-2009, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

You can definitely have a second grand opening

Have you not watched Transformers yet in the theater? If not, it's a must.

But looking at new videos coming...some choices could be...

'Quantum of Solace'
'Seven Pounds'
'The Day the Earth Stood Still'
or 'Bolt' for the kids

post #743 of 1592 Old 03-18-2009, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Actually looks like Bolt is 16:9

post #744 of 1592 Old 03-18-2009, 11:15 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 580
post #745 of 1592 Old 03-18-2009, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Transformers 3?

That's so mean

post #746 of 1592 Old 03-18-2009, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, I admit it. I have yet to see "Transformers" outside of a five minute clip my BIL showed me on his new 52" Aquos. So it fits the two mandatory requirements - reference material for the HT and a movie we haven't seen yet.
post #747 of 1592 Old 03-18-2009, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Painter dropped off the fluted trim today. It came out ok. I knew it would be tough since it was real hardwood. It matches well enough but it definitely did not come out as nice as the other trim. He has to come back to fix the doors since his tape went too far, leaving too much white on the sides of two doors. He must have seen the look of concern across my face because he repeatedly reassured me that it will come out fine. He said the GC can install them but I'd rather wait because then he can blend it more easily into the area he did already, without having the door hinges in the way. At least it's on the hinge side so it shouldn't be noticeable if it's not a perfect match. Today was payment day too. The whole job ended up costing just under $500, IMO money well spent.

I am contemplating what to do with my foyer area. In my dining room (which is currently masquerading as a playroom, hence the need for a finished basement), I'd like to add chair rail and picture box trim underneath it. Then I wanted to continue that look up my stairs. The painter suggested continuing it even more, all the way down my hallway upstairs too. But then I thought having chair rail won't look right unless I add crown. If I post some pics, would you guys mind offering suggestions on how make it look better? I know it' not HT, but then again, I'm not in the dedicated build forum .
post #748 of 1592 Old 03-18-2009, 03:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
The chair and picture frame molding was my wife and I's first project together. The book said one weekend's work. Took us 5 times that. Also lead to the purchase of a dual bevel compound miter saw AND a porter cable nail gun set. When both of these were in place, the pace picked up considerably.

We are planning to repeat it in my new house. The builder put it in the dining room and we are going to carry it through the foyer, hall and into the living room (the old place was a DR + LR combo, so our furniture is coordinated).

I am skeptical of doing the upstairs hallway with it too - unless your house has a real formal look. Post pics of the hall too.
post #749 of 1592 Old 03-18-2009, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

The chair and picture frame molding was my wife and I's first project together. The book said one weekend's work. Took us 5 times that. Also lead to the purchase of a dual bevel compound miter saw AND a porter cable nail gun set. When both of these were in place, the pace picked up considerably.

We are planning to repeat it in my new house. The builder put it in the dining room and we are going to carry it through the foyer, hall and into the living room (the old place was a DR + LR combo, so our furniture is coordinated).

I am skeptical of doing the upstairs hallway with it too - unless your house has a real formal look. Post pics of the hall too.

Thanks for your indulgence. I'll post a few of the raw space, then a few with my mark-ups. Did you also have crown in your in old space and/or planning it for your new space. On the main floor, the only room that has crown is the dining room (aka playroom).
post #750 of 1592 Old 03-18-2009, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looking into the dining room

My crude mark-ups. I was too lazy to draw the picture box I was considering (the one marked A) so I just drew regular boxes. Not sure if that's how it goes up the stairs?

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Projectors , Speaker Systems , Chief , Wall Mount , Samsung Ln46a650 46 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv With Red Touch Of Color , Monoprice , Marantz Av8003 Networking Preamplifier , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Marantz , Replacement Projector Tv Lamp An K9lp For Sharp Xv Z9000 Xv Z9000e Xv Z9000u Projectors Tvs , Marantz Sr8002 Surround Receiver
Gear in this thread - Z9000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page