Queen's Future HT - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1592 Old 03-23-2009, 09:13 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 695
This post is only a test. It is a picture from Queens Album but I copied into a brand new PB account that account will only have this picture. I will compare the hits to Queens thread to the reported hits to the PB account. Then we will know what is going on, maybe not.

Again this is a test and only a test, If you are reading this in anticipation of finding out if Queen has reached 9 on the "I am happy scale" it won't be in this post.

As of 3/23 Queen has 42,685 hits to the thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1592 Old 03-23-2009, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That sucks about the PhotoBucket bandwidth cap on your pics queen. $40 is more than what Flickr charges ($25), so if you want to go through the hassle of moving / copying everything over, you could get unlimited BW for about half the price.

Not sure why it just started acting up, unless perhaps you're linking to the higher res versions of the pics and by doing so using more bandwidth???
post #813 of 1592 Old 03-23-2009, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
looking good. I must say, hiding the speakers in the wall and behind the screen is cool as hell, it is the one thing I question about my design, however, my space was fairly limited with the support beams and such, so I am not complaining. (plus the crazy price I got for all towers, I just couldnt pass it up, my rc-62's were less than the klipsch wall surround speakers, so at the time it was a no brainer, although now I do think about the what if's, but I think I will soon forget once construction is complete) Considering the wife was down there last night telling me how good everything looked and that she was proud of me quickly made me forgot about my crappy job on the trim, although I put a quick rough coat of paint on the door frames and it doesnt not look as bad any more.
post #814 of 1592 Old 03-23-2009, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedNut View Post

That sucks about the PhotoBucket bandwidth cap on your pics queen. $40 is more than what Flickr charges ($25), so if you want to go through the hassle of moving / copying everything over, you could get unlimited BW for about half the price.

Not sure why it just started acting up, unless perhaps you're linking to the higher res versions of the pics and by doing so using more bandwidth???

good god, I can only imagine going through this entire thread changing out all the links...talk about mind numbing.

BIG, just want to throw this out there for you. The thread view count only changes when new people look at it. If I look at it 3 times when there have been no changes, the view count would count once, but the bandwidth would still change, I think. I know sometimes I go back to threads even though there are no updates, looking for something, but this still requires the pictures to load, even though the thread view count is not changing. However, at the same time, queen is getting new posts all the time, so her view count might jump much faster and be more accurate. If that makes sense...
post #815 of 1592 Old 03-23-2009, 11:40 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Well although it is early in my experiment I am stupefied. I only have one picture and they say I have 2, But no reported hits which I know isn't true, maybe the dashboard is only updated at infrequent intervals.
post #816 of 1592 Old 03-23-2009, 11:56 AM

Queen:
You room looks great, it's almost near the finishing post!! Shame about the Photobucket saga.

I'd change to Flickr in a instant, but then it would take ages to redo all the links to the pictures posted!!

I'm sure we'll find a solution over this saga soon?

Cheers
Lee
post #817 of 1592 Old 03-23-2009, 12:42 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Q if you have another e-mail create another account
post #818 of 1592 Old 03-23-2009, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Q if you have another e-mail create another account

Actually, after reading your candy pic post, that idea immediately came to mind. So, no worries going forward or perpetually pestering Shawn . This build will have its pics! We've beaten the conspiracy .
post #819 of 1592 Old 03-23-2009, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJO View Post

Wow- that look great!

CJ

Thanks CJ. And glad to hear things worked out with your wife's job. Boy, that was fast! She doesn't waste any time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Trim looks great, glad Shawn posted them I was getting fustrated cause I couldn't see them.

Yes, apologies for the delay. It won't happen again, given the work-around solution .

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits View Post

looking good. I must say, hiding the speakers in the wall and behind the screen is cool as hell

Thanks Smaks. Going AT and scope were literally last minute changes which completely changed to look of the entire room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic023 View Post

Queen:
You room looks great, it's almost near the finishing post!! Shame about the Photobucket saga.

Thanks Cosmic, the finish line is so close I can almost taste it!
post #820 of 1592 Old 03-23-2009, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, let's test this out. Snapped the trouble corner where the GC had no choice but to not line up the crown since the GOM ended up short. From the side you can see it but from the front it's less noticeable. Looks like we're back in business !

post #821 of 1592 Old 03-23-2009, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I must say I dont feel so bad any more. while those cuts are way more complicated than mine, it was done by a professional and somewhat resembles some of my awful seems. While still way better, the fact that it isnt perfect doesnt make me feel so bad about the job I did any more. Plus after throwing some quick paint on the other day lots of things are hidden while other things are exposed. After a second coat and once everything else is touched up, I figure that when I will go back and try to be anal and clean things up. Worrying about all the minor little marks and junk will make me crazy and life is too short for that.
post #822 of 1592 Old 03-23-2009, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Pics are looking really great. Once your painter fills in all those nail holes, caulks the seams and does his touch ups it's going to look awesome.

post #823 of 1592 Old 03-24-2009, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnwalters View Post

Pics are looking really great. Once your painter fills in all those nail holes, caulks the seams and does his touch ups it's going to look awesome.

That's what's got me very worried though. Hoping my painter does not touch the fabric when he is touching up. Has anyone else gotten caulk or paint on GOM before and been able to successfully get it off without compromising the tautness?
post #824 of 1592 Old 03-24-2009, 07:27 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

post #825 of 1592 Old 03-24-2009, 02:13 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Update on the PB test. In the last 15 hours Queen has had 437 visits to the thread I'm really surprised. Even more surprised that the linked photo only shows 40 hits. I'm going to ponder this for awhile.
post #826 of 1592 Old 03-24-2009, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Update on the PB test. In the last 15 hours Queen has had 437 visits to the thread I'm really surprised. Even more surprised that the linked photo only shows 40 hits. I'm going to ponder this for awhile.

So it's behaving exactly the opposite of what we had hypothesized! Still doesn't explain the overage on the bandwidth, unless you're telling me you're getting 100x more hits than you calculated for your photos .
post #827 of 1592 Old 03-24-2009, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Won't count it as a full day since the GC (BIG, the beer must have run out) stopped by after his commercial gig to put up the rest of the trim. He didn't want to but I told him the painter was coming on Wednesday to touch up the trim so he dutifully showed up. A small problem with the saddle by the entrance door. Right now it's oak (to match my flooring). However, the door will not fully cover it inside the theater so a 1" strip shows. I can't exactly faux paint it because on the outside it will look funny with my oak floor and I certainly do not want a bi-color saddle. Right now, I'm inclined to leave it as is. The saddle matches the beige that's in the carpet but it will look a bit odd next to the cherry fluted trim. Those plum outlet covers still bother me but not enough to plunk down another $100 for some kind of blue that will be off too.

Excited that my book came in. So cuz, did my library beat your vendor's ship time? Pictures are great. Haven't had time to really study it yet. Also had my mom pick up my grand re-opening showing (likely this weekend).

Tomorrow at lunchtime, I will attempt to wrap the 3/4" lattice pieces for around the LG and the baseboard area. I can already tell they are going to be very tricky so I hope they come out ok.
post #828 of 1592 Old 03-24-2009, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

things are coming together....I am jealous of your re-opening...

Maybe it would be a good idea for me to pick up that book, although at this point there is no real point as I dont see myself doing much trim work beyond this project...
post #829 of 1592 Old 03-25-2009, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Queen,

Ouch! Yes I hate to admit it > your library beat Amazon - I'm still waiting for my book.

However I did go out at lunch yesterday and also bought Quantum of Solace, the reason:

Tomorrow I will be taking the plastic off my RS1 for my 14 year old's Birthday Party. He is having 3 friends over for movies. Mom said no way you are going to have your friends over to watch movies in the "hole" before the room is finished.

My son's response >> PLEASE, it is a "mancave"

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #830 of 1592 Old 03-25-2009, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, dilemma of the day. The painter stopped by this morning and worked on the bathroom door trim some more (GC had to add some more strips to even the wall out that also needed the faux cherry). We talked about the trim in the HT and I must have mentioned a million times the delicate nature of the fabric (i.e. please do not lean on it, press you hand against it and try as best as possible not to get any paint/putty on it). He surveys the room and comments I didn't expect the edges to have such large gaps. He then goes on to say that he's reluctant to put the wood putty in the large cracks because it expands and may push out the trim later. In addition, he thinks it will actually look worse than just touching up the raw edges. He's coming back later today to apply the minwax to the doors but asked me to think about it. Before he exited, he tried to apply a small amount of putty to one of the corners less visible and wouldn't you know it, he starts to lean on my fabric (again I tell him) and then he actually gets some putty on the fabric. Immediately, I asked him if he had any acetone (he didn't but remarked if I had nail polish remover that wasn't acetone free-well, gee you learn something new everyday!). I quickly darted upstairs and thankfully it came out and dried up real nice. Thanks for the tip BIG!

So after the long-winded background story, here's my dilemma. Do I just have him touch up the raw edges and leave those cracks? Is he just feeding me a line to get out of doing it (I already paid him and that included this touch-up). But I can see how clumsy he's going to be which makes me very worried for my GOM. I don't recall specifically why he wouldn't just use caulk (maybe that can't get the faux cherry look?). What would you guys do?
post #831 of 1592 Old 03-25-2009, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Its to bad the GC didn't apply a little stain to the raw wood from his cuts before he installed each piece of trim That would of hid alot of what you see.
Looks good though as I know that the flash from the camera makes those joints stand out 100 times more then they do in person.

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #832 of 1592 Old 03-25-2009, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post

Its to bad the GC didn't apply a little stain to the raw wood from his cuts before he installed each piece of trim That would of hid alot of what you see.
Looks good though as I know that the flash from the camera makes those joints stand out 100 times more then they do in person.

Yes, the GC mentioned that to me several times - that he supposedly asked the painter for some to apply to his cuts. The buck likes to get passed around quite a bit with this project. So what does everyone think:

#1 - Just touch up the raw edges and nail holes
#2 - Touch up the cracks with woody putty, raw edges and nail holes
#3 - Other ideas?

You're right though Scott. You don't notice them until you start inspecting. That's why I'm leaning toward #1 (which would also limit how much potential damage he could do to my fabric).
post #833 of 1592 Old 03-25-2009, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Worked on my 3/4" lattice strips today. Decided to let them sit overnight before I trim the fabric in the back. Those top and bottom edges were very tricky. The fabric will be thicker on those edges as a result of the fold but hopefully they will still sit somewhat flush on the wall. Only time will tell. Was tempted to take another photo of my wrap in progress but I didn't want BIG to get jealous seeing my Gucci gloves again . Obviously these are pics of them turned upside down. Will take some more pics after they've dried overnight and I trim the loose fabric on the back.

post #834 of 1592 Old 03-25-2009, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

Yes, the GC mentioned that to me several times - that he supposedly asked the painter for some to apply to his cuts. The buck likes to get passed around quite a bit with this project. So what does everyone think:

#1 - Just touch up the raw edges and nail holes
#2 - Touch up the cracks with woody putty, raw edges and nail holes
#3 - Other ideas?

You're right though Scott. You don't notice them until you start inspecting. That's why I'm leaning toward #1 (which would also limit how much potential damage he could do to my fabric).

It sounds like your painter is very skilled, but is also pretty clumsy

I think the nail holes and such can be done very nicely, but it's going to be a time consuming process. Look how much time I spend painting one door

Tell the painter to lay off the coffee that day and get 'er done

post #835 of 1592 Old 03-25-2009, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It sounds like your painter is very skilled, but is also pretty clumsy

I think the nail holes and such can be done very nicely, but it's going to be a time consuming process. Look how much time I spend painting one door

Tell the painter to lay off the coffee that day and get 'er done

So would you recommend the wood putty in the cracks too? Does wood putty expand? He mentioned that he would be concerned about putting it in the cracks and then it would just eventually fall out. Is that a valid statement? Even though the wood putty that he bought is red cherry it seems more brown than my trim color, which is also another concern.
post #836 of 1592 Old 03-25-2009, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

The putty for the nail holes should be painted over to match the rest of the trim. He probably just chose the closest color putty they have and hopefully intends to paint over them. I don't know about the putty 'falling out', but being a painter he would know better than me. When my painters did all of my trim they caulked all the seams - where two pieces of wood met and did putty in any imperfections/nail holes etc.

If nothing else, a good compromise would be to just paint those white edges as best as he can so they don't stick out.

post #837 of 1592 Old 03-26-2009, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I hate to say it, but you may want to putty everything, from the sounds of it, if you dont, it will bother you forever.
post #838 of 1592 Old 03-26-2009, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The putty for the nail holes should be painted over to match the rest of the trim. He probably just chose the closest color putty they have and hopefully intends to paint over them. I don't know about the putty 'falling out', but being a painter he would know better than me. When my painters did all of my trim they caulked all the seams - where two pieces of wood met and did putty in any imperfections/nail holes etc.

If nothing else, a good compromise would be to just paint those white edges as best as he can so they don't stick out.

Yes, for the other areas in the basement my GC caulked and then painted. I'm not sure I entirely buy the putty argument because then it wouldn't be a useful application for nail holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits View Post

I hate to say it, but you may want to putty everything, from the sounds of it, if you dont, it will bother you forever.

You're absolutely right Smaks. I already called my painter and asked him to leave the wood putty for me. I told him I wouldn't mind filling those cracks myself. I plan on using a Q-tip but if anyone else has other ideas please chime in.
post #839 of 1592 Old 03-26-2009, 07:29 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

A one inch plastic putty knife and a slightly damp rag to wipe off the excess.

You can also use your fingers to press the putty into the crevices. Think Play-dough

You can also put some wide painters masking tape or adhesive masking paper on the fabric and carpet to avoid making a mess. I would and did.

Generally the approach is to smear on and in more putty than you need, then scape and wipe away the excess.
post #840 of 1592 Old 03-26-2009, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

scrape and wipe? I have been killing myself sanding once it dries then a second light application and more sanding once dry...
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Projectors , Speaker Systems , Chief , Wall Mount , Samsung Ln46a650 46 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv With Red Touch Of Color , Monoprice , Marantz Av8003 Networking Preamplifier , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Marantz , Replacement Projector Tv Lamp An K9lp For Sharp Xv Z9000 Xv Z9000e Xv Z9000u Projectors Tvs , Marantz Sr8002 Surround Receiver
Gear in this thread - Z9000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page