post #901 of 1592 Old 04-05-2009, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits View Post

how much space do you actually have between your walls and seats? just because you say it is tight but you can live with it, and we all know my dilemma...

Just measured. For the front row (if facing the screen) there's 21" on the left side by the step. But again, I had envisioned 24" but ended up with the potential injury gap so butted the chair up against the stair. On the right side of the front row only 11" but intentionally no step because it was not meant to be an aisle.

Second row only has 8" on each side but again nobody is supposed to go behind there except me .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1592 Old 04-05-2009, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

Awesome job, queen! I would love to end up with a room that would be considered the outcast, inbred, hillbilly third cousin of your build. But realistically I think my best chance is that, when the lights are out in my HT, my darkness will be every bit as dark as your darkness.

A man's got to know his limitations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

+20 Queen, on the room looking great! I mean this in the best possible way: it's masculine where it should be...big screen, big gear...but feminine in the right ways...softer colors, cherry on the trim and doors. I can tell you're proud of it, and you should be. Congrats, and enjoy!

CD

hanesian and CD, thanks for your very very kind words!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #903 of 1592 Old 04-05-2009, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

, I realized you had replaced your B&Ws at some point? What happened? Did you feel like the Triads were a better fit for going AT?

CD

Actually, it was more a function of what my new chosen dealer was selling. He didn't sell B&Ws but I didn't mind because I had read such great stuff about the Triads and demo'd them at another local dealer. In EH, for their annual showcase edition, I noticed that nearly all of the installs had Triads. So either Triad has a very tight relationship with the dealer community and/or they're a terrific speaker. Probably a combo of both I suspect. But I'm very happy with them.

post #904 of 1592 Old 04-05-2009, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, I promised several pages back to report the full equipment list so here it is:

Audio
Triad Inwall Gold/6 LCR
Triad Inwall Gold/4 Surrounds (sides)
Triad Inwall Silver/4 Surrounds (rears)
Triad Inroom Gold Powersub w/RackAmp500 (2x)
Triad OmniRound6 (playroom ceiling speakers-2x)

Video
JVC DLA-RS20
Panamorph A480KIT
Chief RPA-233 Ceiling Mount
SmX AT Proline 130" wide 2.35:1
Samsung 46" A650 (playroom)
Monoprice tilt/swivel mount/3724 (playroom)

Electronics
Marantz AV8003
B&K Ref200.7S2
Panasonic BD55 Blu-Ray Player
Insignia NS-R2000 200w 2ch (for playroom speakers)

Accessories
8 Berkline 078s-grade 4 leather
Middle Atlantic Slim 5 Rack BXBTB5
URC MX-980
URC MX-350 (playroom)
URC Base Station MRF-350
Panamax M5300PM Power Conditioner
Lutron dimmers controlled via URC
Monoprice HDMI splitter/3049
Monoprice HDMI cables

post #905 of 1592 Old 04-05-2009, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnwalters View Post

The 8 chairs look great, it doesn't look crammed or anything. It looks like a full house I have yet to get another row of chairs, but I am contemplating getting a 4 row for the back and moving the current ones up to the front row.

The 3/4 config is also a very nice set-up. You should chat with Roman about which model would best match your current ones (they're always changing the model numbers) since he is the Berk guru. Even if you don't buy from him he'll be glad to help you out. I can't say enough about him. I'm having some trouble with one of my buttons making a clicking sound and he's helping me troubleshoot the problem. His customer service is A++.

post #906 of 1592 Old 04-05-2009, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

Just measured. For the front row (if facing the screen) there's 21" on the left side by the step. But again, I had envisioned 24" but ended up with the potential injury gap so butted the chair up against the stair. On the right side of the front row only 11" but intentionally no step because it was not meant to be an aisle.

Second row only has 8" on each side but again nobody is supposed to go behind there except me .

you know, I am going to have to think very hard on this. If I take my exact measurements, I have 31.5" left about, if I put my towers against the wall. Now the issue is that the ports are on the back, so I need to pull them away, but lets just work with these numbers a second. 31.5, 24" aisle to get by leaves 7.5" on the other side, not bad. take 1.5" on one side and 3 from the other, and I have 4.5" meaning I can pull the speakers 2.5" from the wall. I mean is there a lot of bass that will be firing out the back of these side surrounds anyway? It could potentially work. Is it tight getting by in the 21" space? do you even notice it or think about it, or, for what it is there is plenty of room?

and heck, if I do a love seat stuyle in the middle I gain some 5 more inches. this could work out after all.

post #907 of 1592 Old 04-05-2009, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

you know, I am going to have to think very hard on this. If I take my exact measurements, I have 31.5" left about, if I put my towers against the wall. Now the issue is that the ports are on the back, so I need to pull them away, but lets just work with these numbers a second. 31.5, 24" aisle to get by leaves 7.5" on the other side, not bad. take 1.5" on one side and 3 from the other, and I have 4.5" meaning I can pull the speakers 2.5" from the wall. I mean is there a lot of bass that will be firing out the back of these side surrounds anyway? It could potentially work. Is it tight getting by in the 21" space? do you even notice it or think about it, or, for what it is there is plenty of room?

It's ok for me but again, I'm not a big person (small frame and only 5' 3"). I am very regretful that I didn't make my step wider because it was my original intention to make the aisle 24" but I neglected to take the foot accident into consideration. I am very conscious of it because I'm mad at my mistake. The kids just fly right by but they're little munchkins. My brother, who is a very big guy actually turns sideways a little as he ascends. Ideally, you should have at least 24" for an aisle. And remember, with a tighter aisle, that increases the chance that someone might bump your GOM! Can't speak on the bass issue (maybe shoot DE a PM). Just think though, down the road you may swap out those speakers but you can't re-design the construction part of your room again, without a lot of aggravation.

I'd say loveseat all the way. It really helped me out a lot with my front row. Plus, it's fun to sit in there snuggling with a kid on each side of me .

post #908 of 1592 Old 04-06-2009, 03:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd say loveseat all the way. It really helped me out a lot with my front row. Plus, it's fun to sit in there snuggling with a kid on each side of me .

Oh yes, my wife would love that...look honey this is our seat, we can snuggle while watching tv...

post #909 of 1592 Old 04-06-2009, 05:26 AM

Room looks great Queen! I finally went through most of your thread this morning.

post #910 of 1592 Old 04-06-2009, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Queen,

So here you are at threshold of the finish line (look out; because as they say elsewhere - one is never really done)

Congratulations! - Really turned out NICE!!

I was feeling your pain with final detail work, so little left to do, and so much aggravation - but you took things into your own hands and all is now well.

We are starting to shop for our furniture, therefore; a question on the following comment, "My front row has more space because of the loveseat config"

So after scrolling back in your thread. I found a shot of your front row; I had no idea that Berkline sold matching love seats?
(guess I need to spend more time on Roman's website)

From the photo I could not tell if the armrests were part of the love-seat or do the armrests belong to the adjoining chairs ?

Also; what is the total width of that front row combo (chair+love-seat+chair)?

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #911 of 1592 Old 04-06-2009, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

We are starting to shop for our furniture, therefore; a question on the following comment, "My front row has more space because of the loveseat config"

So after scrolling back in your thread. I found a shot of your front row; I had no idea that Berkline sold matching love seats?
(guess I need to spend more time on Roman's website)

From the photo I could not tell if the armrests were part of the love-seat or do the armrests belong to the adjoining chairs ?

Also; what is the total width of that front row combo (chair+love-seat+chair)?

Thanks cuz! It's great to know I'm almost there . As far as the seats go, there is no special loveseat combo. It's basically just two rows of the config IOIOIOIOI but I moved one of the chairs with two arms to the second row, giving me IOIOIIOIOI for the second row and my new loveseat in the front with IOIOOIOI. The chairs come with either a right arm, a left arm or two arms. There is no armless chair. Then you mix and match how you want them.

For the front row IOIOOIOI, it measures 126", with a 6" savings from not having that extra arm. But then my back row measures 141". My room was originally 14' wide but then take away some for the DD, furring strips and my 4" MDF columns.

post #912 of 1592 Old 04-06-2009, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scawt View Post

Room looks great Queen! I finally went through most of your thread this morning.

Thanks Scawt! You must have had a lot of time on your hands. If I were as good as Jamis, I'd join the index club .

post #913 of 1592 Old 04-06-2009, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh yes, my wife would love that...look honey this is our seat, we can snuggle while watching tv...

BIG LOL. Now I didn't say my husband and I sit there. Naturally, we sit in the money seats in the second row, optimized for audio and video. We can't be compromising maximizing the viewing experience in exchange for some snuggle !

post #914 of 1592 Old 04-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Naturally, we sit in the money seats in the second row, optimized for audio and video. We can't be compromising maximizing the viewing experience in exchange for some snuggle !

Now that made me laugh.... very nice

place looks great.... doors and trim turned out very nice.

"Name?" Shropshire Slasher
"Occupation?" Shropshire Slasher
post #915 of 1592 Old 04-07-2009, 03:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks cuz! It's great to know I'm almost there . As far as the seats go, there is no special loveseat combo. It's basically just two rows of the config IOIOIOIOI but I moved one of the chairs with two arms to the second row, giving me IOIOIIOIOI for the second row and my new loveseat in the front with IOIOOIOI. The chairs come with either a right arm, a left arm or two arms. There is no armless chair. Then you mix and match how you want them.

For the front row IOIOOIOI, it measures 126", with a 6" savings from not having that extra arm. But then my back row measures 141". My room was originally 14' wide but then take away some for the DD, furring strips and my 4" MDF columns.

Thanks Queen!

That's good to know. Your measurements (and placement of l/r armed chairs) have just expanded my options. I have 154" in width and using this technique I see that I can comfortably fit 4 seats into my front row,

Appreciate the measurements and explanation - gotta love the sharing on these sites!!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #916 of 1592 Old 04-07-2009, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Thanks Queen!

That's good to know. Your measurements (and placement of l/r armed chairs) have just expanded my options. I have 154" in width and using this technique I see that I can comfortably fit 4 seats into my front row,

Appreciate the measurements and explanation - gotta love the sharing on these sites!!

Hey cuz, just bear in mind that different models are different widths. The 078s are most comparable to the 090s. They even have ones that are more narrow than mine. Also, don't forget if you have two rows, ideally you want at least 24" for an aisle. I started out with about 166" after the DD and furring strips. Then knock off another 8" for my two columns, which brings it down to 158". On Roman's site, he's got downloaded pdfs with measurements. One thing to note though, my chairs actually measured a little bit smaller than the diagram which was great!

post #917 of 1592 Old 04-08-2009, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzey View Post

Now that made me laugh.... very nice

place looks great.... doors and trim turned out very nice.

Thanks Mike! Might actually get that second door up tonight. Painter came by and finished up so presumably it will be dry by tonight. Need to watch Lost so likely after that. Perhaps I can squeeze in my grand re-opening tomorrow with "Quantum Solace" .

post #918 of 1592 Old 04-08-2009, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks Mike! Might actually get that second door up tonight. Painter came by and finished up so presumably it will be dry by tonight. Need to watch Lost so likely after that. Perhaps I can squeeze in my grand re-opening tomorrow with "Quantum Solace" .

You haven't watched it yet?! Go watch that dang movie already

My Theater -
post #919 of 1592 Old 04-08-2009, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Queen,

Room looks awesome. Nice job! You have a nice equipment list and should have some good times in the room. I'm glad you switched to 2.35:1 and went with the JVC. Both really add to the experience.

Steve

-->

-->
post #920 of 1592 Old 04-08-2009, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Perhaps I can squeeze in my grand re-opening tomorrow with "Quantum Solace" .

Sounds perfect, queen. I haven't seen that yet either.

What time should I be there?

post #921 of 1592 Old 04-08-2009, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swithey View Post

Queen,

Room looks awesome. Nice job! You have a nice equipment list and should have some good times in the room. I'm glad you switched to 2.35:1 and went with the JVC. Both really add to the experience.

Thanks Steve! I probably would have been just as happy with the Sim2 D80E because I loved it but non scope would have disappointed me greatly.

post #922 of 1592 Old 04-08-2009, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

Sounds perfect, queen. I haven't seen that yet either.

What time should I be there?

Now don't get me wrong hanes, I like you and everything but I don't extend an invite to just anybody. So far, oman is the only lucky one . And his wife doesn't let him to go to meets .

post #923 of 1592 Old 04-08-2009, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnwalters View Post

You haven't watched it yet?! Go watch that dang movie already

@#$!@%^$!@%^#$ . Just tried to put the hinges onto my door. Got through all of them except for one pesky screw (my GC conveniently left his power drill here-first time using one ). At that point, I realized that I bought 1" screws (satin silver) while the ones I removed were only 3/4" (gold). That !@#%!$#%@ HD, why did they have that pack next to where I bought the satin silver hinges. How's a gal supposed to know this stuff!? Anyway, I'll have to run out and buy some tomorrow so for now still doorless. Time for Lost!

post #924 of 1592 Old 04-08-2009, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Now don't get me wrong hanes, I like you and everything but I don't extend an invite to just anybody. So far, oman is the only lucky one . And his wife doesn't let him to go to meets .

Oh, great - now you tell me!

And I was already halfway there in the car - to wherever you are! Guess I'll just have to turn around and drive all the way back home again. I'll remember that one, queen!

post #925 of 1592 Old 04-08-2009, 06:22 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 618
One inch should not be a problem. Did he leave any drill bits? just need a little deeper pilot hole. I'm taping lost.

PROJECTS:

post #926 of 1592 Old 04-08-2009, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
1" is fine, I've got like 3" inchers. Do as big said though, take a bit maybe half the width of the screw and drill in another quarter inch in each screw hole and then install your 1 inchers and watch QOS

My Theater -
post #927 of 1592 Old 04-08-2009, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Queen,

Thanks - good comments; I'll definitely be spending some more studying.

I have 154" of finished available width for my front row, and that is between the columns. If one considers the the open space adjoining the left side of my HT room I have even more flexibility.

On another note; just got word that my counter-tops are in. When I return from this trip (currently in Boston) >> I will install and post photos so that you can judge the "look-a-like granite" countertops.

Regards,
Cuzed2

Quote:

Hey cuz, just bear in mind that different models are different widths. The 078s are most comparable to the 090s. They even have ones that are more narrow than mine. Also, don't forget if you have two rows, ideally you want at least 24" for an aisle. I started out with about 166" after the DD and furring strips. Then knock off another 8" for my two columns, which brings it down to 158". On Roman's site, he's got downloaded pdfs with measurements. One thing to note though, my chairs actually measured a little bit smaller than the diagram which was great!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #928 of 1592 Old 04-09-2009, 11:08 AM

Queen,

I tried reading through all of the posts and maybe I missed it, but I had a question about your side surrounds. I noticed that both columns were wired for side surrounds, but only the back columns on the side walls have speakers. Are you planning on adding 2 additional side surrounds or was that in case you decided to move them to the front columns later?

I have often wondered about side speaker placement when multiple rows for seats are used. When I saw your photos, I assumed that you were giving each row their own side surrounds.

Great HT by the way! Yours and all of the others I've seen on here certainly gives me a lot of ideas and info to use in the future.
post #929 of 1592 Old 04-09-2009, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silo5 View Post

Queen,

I tried reading through all of the posts and maybe I missed it, but I had a question about your side surrounds. I noticed that both columns were wired for side surrounds, but only the back columns on the side walls have speakers. Are you planning on adding 2 additional side surrounds or was that in case you decided to move them to the front columns later?

I have often wondered about side speaker placement when multiple rows for seats are used. When I saw your photos, I assumed that you were giving each row their own side surrounds.

Great HT by the way! Yours and all of the others I've seen on here certainly gives me a lot of ideas and info to use in the future.

Just wired them in case for some reason I wasn't happy with the placement in the second row. Could also potentially add an in-wall sub as well I suppose but there's no CAT5 back there. I did have the GC carve out the same cut-out as the second row sides to accommodate a potential swap. There are a ton of theaters on this forum that can provide inspiration but thanks for visiting mine.

post #930 of 1592 Old 04-09-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:

Just wired them in case for some reason I wasn't happy with the placement in the second row. Could also potentially add an in-wall sub as well I suppose but there's no CAT5 back there. I did have the GC carve out the same cut-out as the second row sides to accommodate a potential swap. There are a ton of theaters on this forum that can provide inspiration but thanks for visiting mine.

As you can tell, I am relatively new to the AVS forum. I have looked at several HTs and have been impressed. When I saw how you wired for your side surrounds, it brought up a question I have always wondered about side surround placement for multiple row set ups. I know what THX and Dolby recommend, but that is usually for a standard living room setup. They don't really address set ups such as yours. How does your set up sound with the side surrounds in their current location?
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Projectors , Speaker Systems , Chief , Wall Mount , Samsung Ln46a650 46 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv With Red Touch Of Color , Monoprice , Marantz Av8003 Networking Preamplifier , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Marantz , Replacement Projector Tv Lamp An K9lp For Sharp Xv Z9000 Xv Z9000e Xv Z9000u Projectors Tvs , Marantz Sr8002 Surround Receiver
Gear in this thread - Z9000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page