post #1171 of 1592 Old 05-31-2009, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

Thanks for the pics BIG. Sadly, I did not anticipate the GC moving so quickly on this. I had since returned the book. It should be in on Tuesday from the other library. After visiting Lowe's I have decided not to use the cheap poly material. Not only was it getting very pricey but I really wasn't too happy with it not being wood like everything else. Anyways, as luck would have it I happen to pick out the "resident crown expert" to ask for guidance, who used to do crown for a living. He prided himself in telling me that he did all the crown in Vinnie Testaverde's house down in FL. He asked if I knew who he was and I was like that's the Jet guy. I explained what I was looking for and he said that if my carpenter was skilled enough he should be able to build me those headers with either 1x4 pine (or 1x6) as the first flat piece (where the book diagram says frieze board) and then my chosen crown topped off with the other piece of pine. I was thinking of adding my picture box trim as the (crosshead strip in the book) bottom of the header. And for the sides just a piece of pine with some textured edge instead of the flute.

Have yet to consult the GC on this so not sure whether it's a go or not but I definitely do not want the poly material. It was very light and seemed like a piece of garbage (but yet cost an arm and a leg).

Thanks for posting the pics BIG. I will show the GC tomorrow.

Correct response would be, you mean Vinnie Intercept-everde, the guy that once played for the browns and was more capable of throwing the ball to the opposing teams defense as opposed to his own sometimes even wide open receivers. That color blind.....ah never mind...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1592 Old 05-31-2009, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I had read that in one of the articles I downloaded off of the internet. When you say caulk all the seams do you mean just the four corners or do you mean the whole inside and outside perimeter of the entire box?

i think all the perimeters...otherwise you will see the voids. My upstairs is not caulked (was like that when we bought the place) and now that I caulked the basement you can really see the difference and i can really notice the gaps upstairs, but I know i dont have the patience to fix it...
post #1173 of 1592 Old 05-31-2009, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Yes, I had read that in one of the articles I downloaded off of the internet. When you say caulk all the seams do you mean just the four corners or do you mean the whole inside and outside perimeter of the entire box?

Unfortunately, for the best results you'll want them to caulk everything, the entire inside and outside perimeter. You'll see gaps otherwise, and once you have a full winter/summer they will be even more apparent due to the shrinking/expanding of the wood from the humidity (and lack thereof).

Quote:

One other thing to note. I'm having a beast of a time with my long hallway upstairs and how to lay out the boxes. I've got CVAC and outlet boxes in just about the absolute worst spots. With boxes that are somewhat similar to boxes on the opposite walls I would have to actually have the outlet literally right smack in the middle of one of the vertical lines of the picture box. Do you think it's better to just make fewer and wider boxes (so that the outlet fits in the middle of the picture box) and visually be able to see different size boxes across from each other or is it better to try and keep the boxes as close to size (sans the really small walls where I have no choice but to do a small box because it's less than 20" wide) as possible and just live with the outlet cutting into a box. I'm leaning toward the latter but would love to hear others' opinions on the topic. Thanks.

We just jogged around them. We had poor planning because we had to jog around a few outlets, light switches etc. But it looks fine to me. My builder thought it looked bad and wanted to tear out the drywall and install remodeler's boxes for each outlet/switch. I said no way buddy!! (cause you know it'd be me that would have had to pay for it)

post #1174 of 1592 Old 06-01-2009, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnwalters View Post

Unfortunately, for the best results you'll want them to caulk everything, the entire inside and outside perimeter. You'll see gaps otherwise, and once you have a full winter/summer they will be even more apparent due to the shrinking/expanding of the wood from the humidity (and lack thereof).

We just jogged around them. We had poor planning because we had to jog around a few outlets, light switches etc. But it looks fine to me. My builder thought it looked bad and wanted to tear out the drywall and install remodeler's boxes for each outlet/switch. I said no way buddy!! (cause you know it'd be me that would have had to pay for it)

Thanks for the tips! When I told my GC about the caulking he rolled his eyes and said that's for the painter to do. Of course, I trust him more than the painter. Was successfully able to get the picture box around the troublesome outlet after working my math some more. Still have one tricky wall left with the CVAC outlet. I think by the end of today the long hallway upstairs will be complete . I will post pics after they are done for the day.
post #1175 of 1592 Old 06-01-2009, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Doing a head piece in two plastic pieces is tricky to get it so you don't notice the seam. The craftsman door top is actually built up with several individual pieces of a length long enough so that no seaming is involved. Craftsman is another name for the arts and crafts period of design it is not a name brand. Sears actually sold house kits designed in the craftsman style.

Showed the GC your pics. He says I should hire 'my guy' (the moniker I use to refer to BIG) to do it . He thinks it's definitely doable but also thinks that a piece of base trim he has might work upside down. He will bring it over later tonight so we'll see.
post #1176 of 1592 Old 06-01-2009, 02:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Quote:

One other thing to note. I'm having a beast of a time with my long hallway upstairs and how to lay out the boxes. I've got CVAC and outlet boxes in just about the absolute worst spots. With boxes that are somewhat similar to boxes on the opposite walls I would have to actually have the outlet literally right smack in the middle of one of the vertical lines of the picture box. Do you think it's better to just make fewer and wider boxes (so that the outlet fits in the middle of the picture box) and visually be able to see different size boxes across from each other or is it better to try and keep the boxes as close to size (sans the really small walls where I have no choice but to do a small box because it's less than 20" wide) as possible and just live with the outlet cutting into a box. I'm leaning toward the latter but would love to hear others' opinions on the topic. Thanks.

When I did this a few years ago, we made the separation of the boxes from each other and the chair rail a religious number. I think it was 3.5" or something like that. We made a block in that size, and used it as a spacer. We would then measure the wall, and we had a baseline box width, that we would re-configure a bit based on outlets and the like. So we'd run the numbers a couple ways and some times we'd go narrower and add a box, or sometimes we'd go wider and subract a box. There were a few instances when we bit the bullet and just let the outlet intersect the vertical bar. It really wasn't that bad, although we tried to avoid it in prominent places. The other thing we discovered is your floor is most likely not level. We kept the height of the boxes consistent (except if we were under a window), and let the difference (varied about a half inch range) be absorbed by the distance from the bottom of the box to the floor.

EDIT - and on the other topic - I like the buzz of opening night, and I like the drive-in experience, so commercial theaters will still get some business from me once I rebuild. But the goal of the HT is to recreate the immersion effects of movies - big screen, big sound.
post #1177 of 1592 Old 06-01-2009, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Dissenting voice here. The anticipation of a title coming to DVD/Blu Ray is nothing like that anticipation of when the movie first hits the theaters.

You're right. The anticipation of a title coming to DVD/BD is actually better, because it's had longer to build.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #1178 of 1592 Old 06-01-2009, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

EDIT - and on the other topic - I like the buzz of opening night, and I like the drive-in experience, so commercial theaters will still get some business from me once I rebuild. But the goal of the HT is to recreate the immersion effects of movies - big screen, big sound.

Not to keep hijacking...sorry Queen...but the Drive-In is a WHOLE different story; we LOVE the Drive-In! When we lived on the other side of the Chesapeake Bay (Baltimore area), we were lucky enough to have a DIT with supposedly the biggest screen in the country http://www.bengies.com/About.php; 120' x 52', 460' throw ().

No way to recreate the Drive-In experience at home...well, except for those outdoor theaters crazies.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #1179 of 1592 Old 06-01-2009, 05:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

When we lived on the other side of the Chesapeake Bay (Baltimore area), we were lucky enough to have a DIT with supposedly the biggest screen in the country http://www.bengies.com/About.php; 120' x 52', 460' throw ().

Been to that one too. My wife got monster misquito bites. There is another in Bel Air, MD, and one in Winchester VA - those were are spots when we lived in NoVA. Bengies was funny because they gave out a sheet of soup-nazi-esque rules when you came in. Good times.
post #1180 of 1592 Old 06-01-2009, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I told my GC about the caulking he rolled his eyes and said that's for the painter to do.

Ah yes, the "that's not my job syndrome"

He's right though, my painters did that part, when they filled in the nail holes.

post #1181 of 1592 Old 06-01-2009, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

Been to that one too. My wife got monster misquito bites. There is another in Bel Air, MD, and one in Winchester VA - those were are spots when we lived in NoVA. Bengies was funny because they gave out a sheet of soup-nazi-esque rules when you came in. Good times.

Yeah, that guy...D. Edward Vogel...is a NUT! A real zealot, and impresario type. It's a tough business though; I guess you have to be a little crazy to keep a Drive-In going all these years.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #1182 of 1592 Old 06-01-2009, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ah yes, the "that's not my job syndrome"

He's right though, my painters did that part, when they filled in the nail holes.

I don't mind paying him to do it. I trust him more than the painter.
post #1183 of 1592 Old 06-01-2009, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

It's a tough business though; I guess you have to be a little crazy to keep a Drive-In going all these years.

CD

Unfortunately, there are no drive-ins left in my area. I do recall, however, going as a kid with my folks and how much we all loved it.

Regarding the commercial movie theaters, I completely understand what RHarkness is referring to. But I think the grainy pic, not as comfy as Berk seats, sticky floor, no bathroom breaks, people other than myself talking, etc. far outweigh the social aspect. Plus, for a family of four it's like breaking the bank going .
post #1184 of 1592 Old 06-01-2009, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't mind paying him to do it. I trust him more than the painter.

Ah I see what you mean. I thought you meant he didn't want to do it!

post #1185 of 1592 Old 06-01-2009, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Long hallway half-way done. The helper seems to work a lot faster when the GC is around . Debating whether to extend the picture box to the kitchen and family room area or just leave it with chair and base. Leaning toward just going chair and base since I do not want to make the faux wainscoting overpowering. Thoughts? Also decided to rip out the base trim in our bedroom since I can't have the hallway looking better than the master . Pics as promised. You can see the funky wrap box I had to do by the entrance to my bedroom.

Both the GC and my mom think I made them too tight. I used the link that BIG provided a while back where the 'expert' recommended 3" as the margin (spaces in-between the boxes). Plus, a few people here seem to have used that same width. In that first stand-alone box that I posted a day or two ago, the margin was 5" but I'm going to have them change it to 3" since that's the distance throughout the rest of the main floor.
post #1186 of 1592 Old 06-01-2009, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

It looks great Queen! Once they paint it, it will look awesome. The only thing I would have done differently is use 4" space (from each other, from top and from bottom) and made the boxes rectangles instead of squares (stretched them out).

post #1187 of 1592 Old 06-01-2009, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It looks great Queen! Once they paint it, it will look awesome. The only thing I would have done differently is use 4" space (from each other, from top and from bottom) and made the boxes rectangles instead of squares (stretched them out).

Actually, from top and from bottom it's 4". In-between the boxes (margin) is 3". Picture may distort it but they are slight rectangles (19"x21"). Obviously not changing the hallway but do you think I should revisit the main floor since they're not done yet and do 4" as the margin instead?
post #1188 of 1592 Old 06-01-2009, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

That looks awesome, if it wasnt for a baby on the way and the theater that needs done and the small bath my wife just HAD to do, the shed we just got, the babies room that needs finished and the landscaping that needs attention I would consider showing these pics to my wife. We are about to get our baseboards all re-painted in a week and they are adding shoe (paying someone of course), but I do like the higher baseboards.

Are those all new along with the chair rail? I see some nail holes so i think I know the answer but it is better to ask than assume.
post #1189 of 1592 Old 06-01-2009, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually, from top and from bottom it's 4". In-between the boxes (margin) is 3". Picture may distort it but they are slight rectangles (19"x21"). Obviously not changing the hallway but do you think I should revisit the main floor since they're not done yet and do 4" as the margin instead?

I think it looks great Queen. I would probably keep the same spacing throughout the house unless it really bothers you. Maybe some others here will chime in with some additional feedback.

post #1190 of 1592 Old 06-02-2009, 08:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

I agree. Keep the spacing consistent. Looks good.
post #1191 of 1592 Old 06-02-2009, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Queen,

IMO these look great! I wouldn't change a thing.

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #1192 of 1592 Old 06-02-2009, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits View Post

That looks awesome, if it wasnt for a baby on the way and the theater that needs done and the small bath my wife just HAD to do, the shed we just got, the babies room that needs finished and the landscaping that needs attention I would consider showing these pics to my wife.

That litany made me laugh as it reminded me of one (of the many) great lines from Monty Python's "Life of Brian:"

All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #1193 of 1592 Old 06-02-2009, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are those all new along with the chair rail? I see some nail holes so i think I know the answer but it is better to ask than assume.

Yes, base is new (old one was a really small one with no character), along with the chair. I like the new one so much that I'm having them replace the master bedroom trim too. No chair or picture box in there though.
post #1194 of 1592 Old 06-02-2009, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for all the compliments guys. The GC's helper is doing a fine job. I've decided to pull a 'Shawn' and have them pull off those ten squares in the long hallway upstairs. They'll be able to re-use the boxes in other spots so I'm only out the additional labor to take off and put back on. After I saw how the living room came out and part of the dining room I knew immediately. They will go from being 21" to 28" (just a hair narrower than the rectangles in the living room-first pic posted below). Plus, the margin will increase to 4", similar to the main floor. I really like how the small rectangles came out below the windows. Last pic is the start of the dining room.

I was unprepared for exactly how much picture box molding I would have to purchase. I have to place another order tomorrow, bringing the total to over 600 LF ! I've decided to just go with new base and chair in the kitchen and family room, limiting the faux wainscoting to the foyer, dining room, living room, stairs and upstairs hallway. It's a great thing I was off these two days (for school events) since it was imperative that I be present for all the chaos and last minute measuring. No progress tomorrow as I need to order additional materials. Work will commence again on Thursday.

BIG, as luck would have it, while I was at the lumber yard scrambling to buy some additional molding I saw a display that caught my eye for the room opening headers. And wouldn't you know it, the display said "Arts & Craft" and "Craftsman". I suppose that style is my preference as well . Oh, and the library finally called so you know what I'll be reading tomorrow morning on the train ride in!
post #1195 of 1592 Old 06-03-2009, 09:49 AM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The picture frame molding looks great and I love the craftsman style door headers!

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
post #1196 of 1592 Old 06-04-2009, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJO View Post

The picture frame molding looks great and I love the craftsman style door headers!

CJ

Thanks CJ! I'm going to try and have the GC build the Arts & Craft header in the book that BIG posted. I also changed my mind again for the master bedroom. Decided to go with the chair rail and picture box after I saw a pic of a bedroom with the faux wainscoting. And of course, now I will need even more picture box molding . Moved all the bedroom furniture to the middle of the room except for the sleigh bed. We will need some more bodies to help us move that one! No work done today since the molding delivery was delayed a day. Sadly, this simple 'add molding on the main floor to match the basement' project has mushroomed totally out of control.
post #1197 of 1592 Old 06-06-2009, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Long hallway redone to make the boxes more rectangular and with 4" margins. Dining room nearly finished (only wall remaining is where the opening frame is since I have not yet decided on the width of the vertical strips outlining the opening).

post #1198 of 1592 Old 06-06-2009, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Queen,

This really makes for an impressive formal look - nice transformation.
So I'm thinking you are about to break out the caulk and paint...?

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #1199 of 1592 Old 06-07-2009, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

How much baseboard heat do you have in your house? is it all like that, or is that to give added heat where the vents are not adequate?

by the way, things look good, but thats a lot of caulking and painting.
post #1200 of 1592 Old 06-08-2009, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Queen,

This really makes for an impressive formal look - nice transformation.
So I'm thinking you are about to break out the caulk and paint...?

Yes, that is an awful lot of caulk. GC thinks I should only caulk the outside perimeter because if I do the inside perimeter then I would lose my bevel and nice shadow line in my picture box molding. Any opinions to the contrary?

Time to call up that painter again. A while back he gave me some quotes. He saw me in HD the other day when I went to pick up some more trim and he chased me down. He said things were slow and was wondering whether my sister still needed a painter. Will have to get more firm quotes now that I know exactly which rooms will be done.

Quote:

How much baseboard heat do you have in your house? is it all like that, or is that to give added heat where the vents are not adequate?

by the way, things look good, but thats a lot of caulking and painting.

Yes, unfortunately that's how all the baseboard looks throughout my entire house . I grew up with natural gas so I wasn't too pleased that this area didn't have gas lines. It's bad enough I have to cook on a stove without a flame much less have all those darn baseboards all over the house! Plus, the house never seems to get as warm as my parents' house did.

GC's helper unexpectedly showed up today. He was not due until tomorrow. So, the hallway upstairs is now complete. Chair rail in the kitchen and bedroom are done. I decided to forgo extending the faux wainscoting beyond the foyer, dining room and living room. Only chair rail left is in the family room but I need to go to HD and pick up a couple more 9 footers. One thing for sure, is how the chair rail accentuates just how crooked all my walls are. I don't think there is a single straight thing (floors, walls, etc.) in this house!

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Projectors , Speaker Systems , Chief , Wall Mount , Samsung Ln46a650 46 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv With Red Touch Of Color , Monoprice , Marantz Av8003 Networking Preamplifier , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Marantz , Replacement Projector Tv Lamp An K9lp For Sharp Xv Z9000 Xv Z9000e Xv Z9000u Projectors Tvs , Marantz Sr8002 Surround Receiver
Gear in this thread - Z9000 by PriceGrabber.com