Queen's Future HT - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1592 Old 09-14-2008, 01:54 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Things look like they are moving right along. Can't tell from the pics exactly how you are handling the pre-wiring for the speakers and the projector. Just before you get in the middle of the battle putting up the ceiling don't forget to get what you are planning for the projector in place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1592 Old 09-14-2008, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Things look like they are moving right along. Can't tell from the pics exactly how you are handling the pre-wiring for the speakers and the projector. Just before you get in the middle of the battle putting up the ceiling don't forget to get what you are planning for the projector in place.

For the side and rear surrounds I did not think it would be a problem since the wires would be run through my columns. Am I missing something here? I guess the wiring will still need to come out from either the wall or ceiling into the column. For the projector, I will need the HT guy to specify. For the proscenium, could the wiring be run dropped down through the false wall and then on the sides to the proscenium?
post #183 of 1592 Old 09-14-2008, 04:36 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Dropping down columns and in/behind the false wall is fine. It's just that once the drywall ceiling is in place there isn't a very convenient way of doing the dropping. That is one advantage of a tile ceiling you can always just lift a tile.

Think about a big electrical conduit to the projector.
post #184 of 1592 Old 09-15-2008, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Think about a big electrical conduit to the projector.

Thanks for the reminder on that one. Completely forgot about that since I was originally going with the drop. Do you think a one inch conduit is wide enough?

As for the wiring, my HT guy has only specified a rather limited run. Speaker wires to each of the columns and LCR from false wall, RG6 for sub locations and just one HDMI and one CAT5 to/from projector to the equipment rack and one HDMI/CAT5 from LCD to equipment rack. But I see others have put lots of other wiring in their conduits (i.e. component, another HDMI, VGA, etc.). Should I be wiring for other things as well?
post #185 of 1592 Old 09-15-2008, 07:00 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

The cables you've mentioned should be fine, some guys want to plan for all possible contingencies, hook up old equipment or don't own a receiver that does switching and upscaling of various sources to HDMI for them. I seem to remember you were going for a tricked out unit.

How many feet is the LCD run? there are some distance limitations for an HDMI cable.

A one inch conduit is WAY TOO SMALL. The business end of a HDMI cable is 3/4 inch and depending on brand can be pretty stiff. Getting it to go around a bend would not be something I would not want to try.

For that LCD HDMI if you aren't planning a conduit you might want a redundant HDMI cable because they have been known to go bad with use or breaking the end.
post #186 of 1592 Old 09-15-2008, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How many feet is the LCD run? there are some distance limitations for an HDMI cable.

A one inch conduit is WAY TOO SMALL.

For that LCD HDMI if you aren't planning a conduit you might want a redundant HDMI cable because they have been known to go bad with use or breaking the end.

HDMI from LCD is 75 feet. How large a conduit would you recommend (3")? Hmmm...cables are already in transit so maybe I'll just run another conduit from the LCD to equipment rack (that's an awfully long conduit though no?). I did not know that sometimes they can break or go bad with usage.
post #187 of 1592 Old 09-16-2008, 06:43 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

For conduit to projector at least 2 inches 3 inch is great.

On that 75 ft run need to do some thinking if I would put in a conduit or just lay up a redundant cable and hope for the best.

It's not the use of the cable that makes them go bad it is the plugging in and out and pulling on the cord instead of the plug head that can cause the connections to go bad in the plug head. There is really no way for a new head to be attached in the field.

Luckily I haven't had any of my DVI/HDMI cables go bad but it does happen. When I built my theater I was younger and foolish, I didn't use a conduit and I only have one DVI line in the ceiling. If it goes bad I'll have to cut holes in my ceiling and put in another. However I have experience since that is how the first one was installed.

I need to do some research on that 75 ft HDMI run. You may need a signal booster. You are also going to need a signal splitter to send the HDMI signal to two locations.
post #188 of 1592 Old 09-16-2008, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On that 75 ft run need to do some thinking if I would put in a conduit or just lay up a redundant cable and hope for the best.

I need to do some research on that 75 ft HDMI run. You may need a signal booster. You are also going to need a signal splitter to send the HDMI signal to two locations.

Why would you need a signal booster? Because of the length? Wouldn't the dvd player (not sure whether Panny BD50 or Oppo S83) have two HDMI outputs in order to hook up to the projector and the LCD, negating the need for a signal splitter? My HT guy did not mention either one. I'm worried about time since the drywall crew is coming Thursday or Friday to do the ceilings. My cables and wires are coming tomorrow so the GC can run everything before they seal everything up.

Regarding the bass traps, I'm still on the fence. I honestly don't know if I'll even be able to tell the difference. Do you put bass traps in your HT? I know I can probably add them anytime down the road since I can just slip them through the false wall but if I'd rather do everything up front if I do it.
post #189 of 1592 Old 09-16-2008, 08:05 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

You may need something like this on the 75 ft run. Talk to your installer for recommendations. There are a plethora of solutions on the market for long runs.

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=5000

Now before I forget and before the ceiling goes up, plan for cable and satellite connections to your equipment locations. Once you get that projector hung you will become a HD junkie and will want to feed your system all the HD content you can get.

Also assume that you might change your mind on content provider as the competitive landscape changes. So I would lay in the coax for both cable and satellite services. A satellite connection is now at least 2 runs of RG6 to the outside down feed for record capability. I would also put in two runs of RG6 from the equipment stack to the phone/cable entrance point in your house. Also a phone line (cat 5 will work) if you want satellite pay-per-view.
post #190 of 1592 Old 09-16-2008, 08:13 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Neither of the pieces of gear you mentioned have dual outputs.

What are you planning to show on the LCD? it makes a difference on how you might want to hook it up. I have some ideas for you.

The biggest determinate is whether you will want something different than what is on the Projector.

Also which receiver are you going with again? I need to look at it's capabilities.
post #191 of 1592 Old 09-16-2008, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Neither of the pieces of gear you mentioned have dual outputs.

What are you planning to show on the LCD? it makes a difference on how you might want to hook it up. I have some ideas for you.

The biggest determinate is whether you will want something different than what is on the Projector.

Also which receiver are you going with again? I need to look at it's capabilities.

LCD primarily just for HD tv but I wanted to keep flexibility for the kids to watch some of their dvds on there.

Going with Marantz AV8003 pre-pro along with B&K 200.7S2 amp.
post #192 of 1592 Old 09-16-2008, 11:36 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

OK what is your source for TV?

If it is sat/cable you might want to think about providing a direct hookup with a separate tuner box. Then you can be watching adult cable while they are watching Nemo. In that case you just need to run coax to the LCD. If it is an antenna again just run a coax to the TV assuming it has a built in tuner. Depending on your cable provider and LCD (if it has a QUAM tuner) you might not even need a box to get the basic digital TV channels.

As for DVD I think I would grab the cheaper Oppo and mount on a shelf adjacent to the TV. Then just use a short HDMI.
post #193 of 1592 Old 09-16-2008, 11:58 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

OK, I looked up the info on your receiver and it does have TWO HDMI outputs so the projector and LCD can be connected at the same time. Now I tried to scan the owners manual for info on the operation of the two outputs but couldn't get an exact statement of whether you can feed two different inputs to the two outputs simultaneously.

Bottom line is you will probably be hooking all your sources up to the Pre-Pro with HDMI cables then switching between sources with the receiver and sending the signal on to your two display devices. The 75 ft run may need a booster.

This hook up doesn't prohibit you from getting a separate DVD player for the LCD or hooking it up to cable/sat/antenna. You can do that in addition.
post #194 of 1592 Old 09-16-2008, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now before I forget and before the ceiling goes up, plan for cable and satellite connections to your equipment locations. Once you get that projector hung you will become a HD junkie and will want to feed your system all the HD content you can get.

Also assume that you might change your mind on content provider as the competitive landscape changes. So I would lay in the coax for both cable and satellite services. A satellite connection is now at least 2 runs of RG6 to the outside down feed for record capability. I would also put in two runs of RG6 from the equipment stack to the phone/cable entrance point in your house. Also a phone line (cat 5 will work) if you want satellite pay-per-view.

Yes, I'll have a dedicated cable box for the HT and LCD to share. CAT5 is also being run from both the LCD and projector to the equipment rack. Didn't think about the potential satellite change.
post #195 of 1592 Old 09-16-2008, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK what is your source for TV?

If it is sat/cable you might want to think about providing a direct hookup with a separate tuner box. Then you can be watching adult cable while they are watching Nemo. In that case you just need to run coax to the LCD. If it is an antenna again just run a coax to the TV assuming it has a built in tuner. Depending on your cable provider and LCD (if it has a QUAM tuner) you might not even need a box to get the basic digital TV channels.

As for DVD I think I would grab the cheaper Oppo and mount on a shelf adjacent to the TV. Then just use a short HDMI.

Since they'll both be sharing the box then either can pick up the HD signal. I do realize, however, that we won't be able to watch tv at the same time (on the LCD and projector) unless it's the same channel. I don't mind that constraint since we could always watch on the upstairs cable box.

Am I making a mistake by having them share the same dvd player? I was just trying to be efficient with one blu-ray player and not have to shell out additional $$ for another one. Oh, and the wii will also be connected to the LCD and projector as well. I have to buy another wii bar (to receive the signal) to place by the LCD.
post #196 of 1592 Old 09-16-2008, 01:10 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I'd proceed down the path you were planning. If you want to add another DVD player later it shouldn't be a big deal.
post #197 of 1592 Old 09-16-2008, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For the columns my GC just built frames out of 2x4s. At what height should the surrounds be placed in them-at ear level when seated or higher? I was thinking of employing the same shelf idea in the columns that will be employed in the proscenium for L and R speakers. Also, what should be used to finish framing out the columns? Do they just get covered in sheetrock and then wrapped in GOM or do they just get wrapped without the sheetrock? Or is some other material more desirable for the front? Thanks.
post #198 of 1592 Old 09-16-2008, 08:26 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Higher. Ear level when standing. So it will be a bit above when seated.

Every column design you propose has been done. Are these frames secured in position? It's a fabric stapling question.

What you need to think about is avoiding doing something that causes a resonating drum so if you cover it stuff it with insulation. Just a frame will work, you need to think about getting a good slightly rounded edge where the fabric wraps around the two front edges. A drywall edge wouldn't work unless they put on a corner bead and the typical ones are a little sharp for my taste and the fabric will wear away quickly. Wood/MDF works and you can use a router to round over the edge a bit.

If he used 2x4s they actually have a slightly rounded edge. I'm just at a loss of what to do with all that interior space. I imagine some insulation but you don't want it bulging out.
post #199 of 1592 Old 09-17-2008, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Every column design you propose has been done. Are these frames secured in position? It's a fabric stapling question.

What you need to think about is avoiding doing something that causes a resonating drum so if you cover it stuff it with insulation. Just a frame will work, you need to think about getting a good slightly rounded edge where the fabric wraps around the two front edges. A drywall edge wouldn't work unless they put on a corner bead and the typical ones are a little sharp for my taste and the fabric will wear away quickly. Wood/MDF works and you can use a router to round over the edge a bit.

If he used 2x4s they actually have a slightly rounded edge. I'm just at a loss of what to do with all that interior space. I imagine some insulation but you don't want it bulging out.

I never considered the wear of the GOM on the column corner. This corner bead that you speak of-is it a thin piece of silver metal? I see on all the corner edges they have put on these silver brackets (sorry can't show pic as I am on the train right now). It sounds like you think the 2x4 construction might be bit foolish. Earlier, I did mention that three-sided MDF box to him but came home one night and found the shells built. I am not entirely opposed to the 2x4s as long the finished product looks good. I am assuming they will be free standing until HT guy comes to do install and fabric wrap but I will double check with GC and ask HT guy what works best.
post #200 of 1592 Old 09-17-2008, 06:43 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I actually think the 2x4 frame can work. I would run a small radius round over bit (router) down the two outside edges for a nice uniform edge to wrap the fabric around. I would also paint the frames black so they don't show through the fabric.

You also need to be sure that he used nice and straight 2x4s so that it will look good when complete.

Yes, corner beads are those metal things they used on outside corners in the rest of the basement. You can image what would happen if the fabric is wrapped around the edge and subjected to some rubbing with people walking by.

A workable drywall solution is to use the bull-nose edging instead of corner bead. If you like the look of the bull-nose round over. Again any thing with solid surfaces needs to be stuffed with insulation so it doesn't resonate.

post #201 of 1592 Old 09-18-2008, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Days 18, 19, 20 and 21: More electrical work, framing for the drywall ceiling and LGs installed (cover plates not chosen yet).

LG in Playroom

LG in HT

Ceiling Framing - You Can See My Conduit Going From Playroom to HT

More Ceiling Framing

Stage Filled With Play Sand

Good news is my tile came in a week early. Bad news is my cables and wire got held up due to adverse weather conditions in Canada. Expected to arrive tomorrow so GC will be able to run the wires. Drywall crew expected early next week. Green glue and clips have arrived. Leonardo sconces will not be available to ship until end of October!
post #202 of 1592 Old 09-18-2008, 08:12 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Looking good.

Make sure that sand is dry before they close up the stage. Otherwise Mold.
post #203 of 1592 Old 09-19-2008, 07:20 AM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Things are looking great. It must be nice having a contractor do all of the work! I'm getting jealous as I'm still working on the electrical rough-in.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
post #204 of 1592 Old 09-19-2008, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looking good.

Make sure that sand is dry before they close up the stage. Otherwise Mold.

Yes, I've been badgering him all week about that. He's got one small cavity spread out on the floor trying to dry it with a fan. At this rate, it will take over a week to dry it al!
post #205 of 1592 Old 09-19-2008, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJO View Post

Things are looking great. It must be nice having a contractor do all of the work! I'm getting jealous as I'm still working on the electrical rough-in.

CJ

Thanks CJ. I might add that if I had HALF the talent of the guys on this forum I would have considered doing it myself. Instead, I sheepishly steal others' ideas and designs and pass them along to my GC. I've been following your build, especially since we are both going with Triads. Very detailed and organized thread that I'm sure is very helpful to others just starting out!
post #206 of 1592 Old 09-20-2008, 08:20 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

Yes, I've been badgering him all week about that. He's got one small cavity spread out on the floor trying to dry it with a fan. At this rate, it will take over a week to dry it al!

This has been a frequent problem of the DIY HT builder, Buying wet sand is a mistake people usually only make once. You need to buy sand in bags stored inside at a store. If is is in paper bags even better because then you know it's dry. Must be your GC's first sand stage.

One solution I've read is to pick a sunny day. Cover your driveway with a plastic sheet and spread a 1/2 inch layer over a big area. Stir it around throughout the day then sweep it all up and put it back. Sounds like a fun project for the kids.

If you are going down the basement route you really need to be running a dehumidifier to bring down the room humidity.

One last thing is if you have any cats.......well you know.
post #207 of 1592 Old 09-21-2008, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Must be your GC's first sand stage.

Yes, and his first HT at that! But he is very flexible and learning along with me, which is why I value your comments so much. Indeed, he has a dehumidifier running but it doesn't seem to be going very well. I will mention the sunny driveway idea to him.

Day 21: Hat track installed in the HT, along with the whisper clips from the Soundproofing Company. Photos below show the hat track from different views as well as the clips.

post #208 of 1592 Old 09-21-2008, 05:41 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I see a drywall ceiling in your future next week. Be sure to make sure the GC uses enough GG. You don't want to come home to "Queen, we only needed one pail, maybe you can send this one back for a refund". It might help to print out the picture of the coverage guide from GG and hang a couple around the theater as reminders.
post #209 of 1592 Old 09-21-2008, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I see a drywall ceiling in your future next week. Be sure to make sure the GC uses enough GG. You don't want to come home to "Queen, we only needed one pail, maybe you can send this one back for a refund". It might help to print out the picture of the coverage guide from GG and hang a couple around the theater as reminders.

Yes, and MANY thanks to your persistence for that becoming a reality. Completely changes the look of the entire basement. According to Ted, I should only need 2 1/2 pails but said that I could go a little heavier (3 loads per sheet instead of the usual 2 - but not a drop more!) on the ceiling since I have a half a pail left. I had the GC watch the video about the application but will heed your advice and print out leaflets for reminders.
post #210 of 1592 Old 09-22-2008, 06:43 AM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

Yes, and his first HT at that! But he is very flexible and learning along with me, which is why I value your comments so much. Indeed, he has a dehumidifier running but it doesn't seem to be going very well. I will mention the sunny driveway idea to him.

It will never dry out while in the stage, dehumidifier or no dehumidifier, unless he is constantly turning the sand. Taking it back out and spreading it out somewhere, while a pain, is the quickest and easiest way to get it dry. Take this from a soils engineer (in another life).

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Projectors , Speaker Systems , Chief , Wall Mount , Samsung Ln46a650 46 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv With Red Touch Of Color , Monoprice , Marantz Av8003 Networking Preamplifier , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Marantz , Replacement Projector Tv Lamp An K9lp For Sharp Xv Z9000 Xv Z9000e Xv Z9000u Projectors Tvs , Marantz Sr8002 Surround Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page