Queen's Future HT - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 1592 Old 09-24-2008, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Days 22 and 23: Finished up the ceiling framing, additional electrical, pulling wires, installation of a few doors, egress cavity and....drum roll please....DRYWALL CEILING!

Rear of HT

Front of HT

Front of Playroom

Rear of Playroom

Hall Area

Opposite Side of the Rear of the HT - Had Them Do DD and GG For Good Measure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 1592 Old 09-24-2008, 07:12 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 574
WOW. Looking good.

Just another detail, make sure you have plans on how to keep major rain out of that emergency egress window well. check the drainage around the area, a cover, and maybe an emergency battery operated bilge pump that you can throw in there and clear out some water in case it really gets bad.
post #213 of 1592 Old 09-25-2008, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 64
Queen,

NICE ! What a difference the drywall makes. You can almost visualize the openinig movie.

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #214 of 1592 Old 09-25-2008, 06:47 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Get one that locks on the inside for security. A burglar can jump in hole and work on getting in without being seen.

Check with your GC, the Mfgr of the plastic well he used may have a cover designed just for that size well.

Since the window is in unused space you don't really need the light so you might want a different style. Just need a quick release on the inside.
post #215 of 1592 Old 09-25-2008, 07:58 AM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looking great!

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
post #216 of 1592 Old 09-25-2008, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Get one that locks on the inside for security. A burglar can jump in hole and work on getting in without being seen.

Check with your GC, the Mfgr of the plastic well he used may have a cover designed just for that size well.

Since the window is in unused space you don't really need the light so you might want a different style. Just need a quick release on the inside.

Yes, actually there is a cover very similar to the one you posted. It was lying in the grass waiting to be installed. And today when I came home it was on. The window well is indeed Bilco but alas, no locks on the inside . It certainly weighs heavy on my mind as I told my GC it's basically a 'welcome' sign for potential prowlers. Our whole house is wired with security so I will have to install similar security measures for the egress window as well as the other new window in the playroom.

For other curious minds, ordered three pails of GG and even with doing that extra wall on the other side of the rear theater wall I still had about a half a pail left.

Lots more work done today. Bathroom nearly all tiled (ran out of floor tiles so they could not finish - short by 5) and tape and spackle crew started. Will post new pics tomorrow as I am exhausted from cleaning all the DUST on the main floor.
post #217 of 1592 Old 09-26-2008, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, first test successful as our area got hit with a few inches of very heavy rain. Good news is no water in the window well. Bad news is water came in through the new not yet installed 30x30 window in the playroom. Hope it did not short circuit the treadmill we have down there.
post #218 of 1592 Old 09-26-2008, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Days 24 and 25: Bathroom tiled and all rooms taped and spackled. Sanding still needs to be done and will likely happen sometime next week.

Bathroom

Front of HT

Back of HT

Hall

Front of Playroom

Back of Playroom
post #219 of 1592 Old 09-27-2008, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I posted this in another thread but will post here as well for additional input. Someone made a comment about making sure the stage is lined with plastic so that the sand does not directly touch the concrete. As you can see from my pics, my plastic is underneath the stage framing but I've also got dri-core underneath so the sand does not actually have direct contact with the concrete. Does having the plastic on the outside of the stage make a difference compared with lined inside? Thanks.
post #220 of 1592 Old 10-02-2008, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, now that the debate is over back to business.

Days 26 and 27: Electrician came and cleaned up the panel. Sanding guys came and did their thing. Fortunately, the tarp the GC put up on the inside of the basement door helped to contain the dust on the main floor. LGs up and running. Have to say that they are beautiful. Fan on high is very noisy but on low certainly tolerable. Stage finally finished as GC caved and bought some bagged sand since he was tired of spreading the sand out. Playroom window finally installed. Ordered my sconces for the bathroom and HT. Bathroom ones will ship almost immediately while HT ones not ready until end of Oct. Next up the walls will get primed and my homework for the weekend is to pick paint colors and trim styles.

Panel Before

Panel After

Playroom Window - A bit of a challenge since it was originally sized with the drop ceiling in mind. Will try and frame it out so that I can still fit in the crown molding above.

LG Art Cool

Stage

My flooring is ready to be installed after the painting, vapor seal the concrete and apply Bostik glue.
post #221 of 1592 Old 10-02-2008, 09:57 PM

nice flooring selection, that will look great!
post #222 of 1592 Old 10-03-2008, 06:09 AM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Looking good!

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
post #223 of 1592 Old 10-03-2008, 10:01 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Moving along I see.

Hmmm, Where is the lip on the stage? You pretty much need one for a good clean carpet installation. In fact if you don't have one they will likely charge you extra for the additional labor and hassle factor. It can be added after the fact by just screwing on a 2x2 with the two outside edges rounded over a bit with a router.

You may need to use some PVC lumber for the curve to get it to bend.

The riser needs one too.

The simpler method would have been to use two layers of decking on the stage, leave it hang over a bit and then cut it leaving a 1 1/2 to 2 inch overhang. Then buzz the edges with a router. All that is for your GC's next effort. I'm guessing that after your build he will take some pictures then brag around that he is a theater "expert". Using you as a reference of course. So keep that in mind when you have to negotiate something extra he wants to charge you for. Tell him that you've created a whole new market for him and you want something in return for that education.

What they do is bend the carpet around the lip and staple underneath where it isn't seen and then cut a strip and slap it on the front vertical surface.
post #224 of 1592 Old 10-03-2008, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBee View Post

nice flooring selection, that will look great!

Thanks KillerBee. Just to clarify, the flooring will be in the playroom, while the HT will be fully carpeted. The flooring is Mirage Red Oak Natural in the Cashmere finish and Traditional grade.
post #225 of 1592 Old 10-03-2008, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJO View Post

Looking good!

CJ

Yes, it's getting more fun coming home and running down into the basement now. Glad to see you getting past the electrical stage.
post #226 of 1592 Old 10-03-2008, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Moving along I see.

Hmmm, Where is the lip on the stage? You pretty much need one for a good clean carpet installation. In fact if you don't have one they will likely charge you extra for the additional labor and hassle factor. It can be added after the fact by just screwing on a 2x2 with the two outside edges rounded over a bit with a router.

You may need to use some PVC lumber for the curve to get it to bend.

The riser needs one too.

I've got that on his 'to do' list. Wasn't exactly sure how he would go about it but I've since passed on your suggestions. Thanks for the attention to the details. I'll also have him lip the small step up to the riser as well.
post #227 of 1592 Old 10-03-2008, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Day 28: Primed almost all the spaces except for the closets and bathrooms.

Playroom Front

Playroom Rear

Hall

HT Front

HT Rear
post #228 of 1592 Old 10-03-2008, 08:11 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Excellent.

Looks to me like you've reached the point where you can lug two chairs down to the basement and test your sight line calculations and how high you really have to mount the screen.
post #229 of 1592 Old 10-06-2008, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

GC was sick today so no progress construction-wise. But on the bright side, it bought me another day to switch my paint colors another ten million times. Pretty set on the playroom and bathroom colors. It's the HT that I am struggling with. For my walls, I will have two different GOM colors - violet above chair rail and blue plum below chair rail, while the stage area will be wrapped in black GOM. Leaning towards wrapping the columns in black as well (like Uptown's) but keeping the same as wall colors is also an option (like BIG's). Room will have crown molding, base and chair rail. The carpet is dark in color (like the blue plum) but also has shades of the light violet. Here is where I am changing my mind on the hour. What color to do the ceiling?

At first, I chose a very dark color (middle color on right paint card-starry night blue), similar to the blue plum but after we did some real room testing (with the fabric swatches thrown on the wall, with crown and chair rail) it actually looked black. Immediately, I thought oh that's way too dark. So then I switched to another card (left paint card) and chose the bottom one -california lilac. By the next day, I was on the other end of the color card, with the second lightest (purple lace). My question is how much of an effect will my ceiling color choice influence the light reflections. Obviously, white is completely off the table for ceiling or trim color. But if I go with purple lace (second from top of left card) for the ceiling is that dark enough? Then possibly go with the top color (white heaven) of the left card for trim work? Of course, everything will be in a flat paint. Also considered the DE 'blue milano' preferred ceiling color but ultimately felt it did not match my color scheme.

Another piece of good news is that my bathroom sconces arrived. I chose the Kenroy Bermuda sconces.

The infamous Leonardo ones (as seen in Uptown's and BIG's) will not be available to ship until the end of this month.

Will be following BIG's advice (since he kindly went through all the trouble of testing all the different bulb types) and go with the GE Reveals for both rooms.
post #230 of 1592 Old 10-06-2008, 08:45 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

These:

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(0z...px?SKU=3237625

be sure to get the frosted. I got mine at Home Depot. That link may be to buy the clear be careful.
post #231 of 1592 Old 10-07-2008, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Keep up the good work on this excellent (fast-moving) build - Thanks for sharing!

Two things:

1) As for your question on ceiling color > I would go with the darker one > starry night blue.

2) Also a question; where did you get your GOM samples? I need to choose my supplier and order some samples.

Regards

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #232 of 1592 Old 10-07-2008, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

These:

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(0z...px?SKU=3237625

be sure to get the frosted. I got mine at Home Depot. That link may be to buy the clear be careful.

Did you pick these specifically because of the colors in your HT? I had just assumed it was a frosted white or cream bulb. Wonder how that bulb would work in the the bathroom. But I can just pick up four to begin with and then test one out in the bathroom. Though I'm not even sure what size fits that sconce. Haven't fully unpacked it yet. Thanks for the link.
post #233 of 1592 Old 10-07-2008, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Keep up the good work on this excellent (fast-moving) build - Thanks for sharing!

Two things:

1) As for your question on ceiling color > I would go with the darker one > starry night blue.

2) Also a question; where did you get your GOM samples? I need to choose my supplier and order some samples.

Regards

Today, I am leaning toward the starry night. But ask me again in an hour. I don't mind going with a darker shade in order to optimize the viewing experience, but I do want to try, if at all possible, to avoid having my room look like a small box caved in. I've only got 90" ceilings so with the 11 3/8" riser it's tight! That's why I was very curious about the milano blue since it supposedly opens up the ceiling. I've had a hard time tracking down reliable photos since they appear as very different shades in different pics. When I inquired at the Benjamin Moore store the clerk was clueless, even with DE's script.

I signed up on www.guilfordofmaine.com and requested free samples. It's a great site with lots of different choices. In addition, they are incredibly fast with shipping out the free swatches. Not sure where I will ultimately buy my GOM as well as Linacoustic, but I think I read that Bpape sells that stuff so I might check him out.
post #234 of 1592 Old 10-07-2008, 12:14 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

Did you pick these specifically because of the colors in your HT?

The selection of bulbs was an iterative process.

First the Leonardo's that I have use two candelabra base bulbs. I mounted them on the wall and rummaged in my household spare bulb box and found some clear chandelier flame shape bulbs. Put them in and YUK!

They cast a very revealing hard light across the fabric revealing every imperfection. I could also see the structure of the filament projected out onto the fabric.

So trip one to HD and grabbed some frosted globe bulbs. Put them in and 1/2 YUK. Gone was the harsh light and I could see less imperfections in the fabric but the biggest problem was color. A regular bulb is very yellow. When you shine a yellow light on a Blue surface the result is pretty pathetic looking. kind of a mud. You kind of start wondering why did I bother picking a blue fabric?

Trip two to HD and grabbed a couple of GE reveal Frosted (this is important don't get the clear) globe candelabra base bulbs. Put them in and realized that I actually had a blue wall.

The only other thing to point out is that it helps a little bit to bend the light sockets a little so that the bulbs sit as far away from the fabric wall as possible within the confines of the fixture. This improves the angle on the light on the wall and shows less fabric ripples and imperfections.

Yes, this whole process was a little anal but after weeks of working on the fabric I really wanted to shine a good light on it.

By the way you might discover that the Reveal spot light bulbs for your recessed lights will bring the color of your carpet alive. Just something else to spend a few more bucks on.
post #235 of 1592 Old 10-08-2008, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

Today, I am leaning toward the starry night. But ask me again in an hour. I don't mind going with a darker shade in order to optimize the viewing experience, but I do want to try, if at all possible, to avoid having my room look like a small box caved in. I've only got 90" ceilings so with the 11 3/8" riser it's tight! That's why I was very curious about the milano blue since it supposedly opens up the ceiling. I've had a hard time tracking down reliable photos since they appear as very different shades in different pics. When I inquired at the Benjamin Moore store the clerk was clueless, even with DE's script.

I signed up on www.guilfordofmaine.com and requested free samples. It's a great site with lots of different choices. In addition, they are incredibly fast with shipping out the free swatches. Not sure where I will ultimately buy my GOM as well as Linacoustic, but I think I read that Bpape sells that stuff so I might check him out.

Queen,

I appreciate your concerns with the dark ceiling, I wrestled with the same decision - however:

I took a chance and finished my theater room ceiling with black (Ceilinglume) tiles, I am also at 90" in heigth, the room is 19' x 15' and I was very pleasantly surprised in a nice side benefit >> IMO - the black ceiling creates the illusion of the ceiling being higher than it measures.

Thanks for the GOM info!

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #236 of 1592 Old 10-08-2008, 05:05 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Queen.

As previously mentioned you might be hanging your screen almost snug to the ceiling (subject to site line verification process).

If your ceiling is a light color, light will reflect back on the screen and effect your image quality. At a minimum you might have to put up a partial black section directly over the screen like my build.

The darker the ceiling the less that this might be a problem.
post #237 of 1592 Old 10-08-2008, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Queen.

As previously mentioned you might be hanging your screen almost snug to the ceiling (subject to site line verification process).

If your ceiling is a light color, light will reflect back on the screen and effect your image quality. At a minimum you might have to put up a partial black section directly over the screen like my build.

The darker the ceiling the less that this might be a problem.

I had foolishly been trying to convince myself I'd be ok with the lighter ceiling, but I do not have the benefit of that nice black semi circle directly above the screen like you do. I will be going with a darker color but have not yet made the final decision but the starry night is a strong contender.
post #238 of 1592 Old 10-08-2008, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Day 29: Worked on the outside of the two new windows, started painting the playroom and have my lip on the stage. The playroom did not come out exactly as I had envisioned. It is Celadon Green but came out more yellow and neonish that I had expected. GC says once he does another coat it will get darker. Regardless, I can live with it but will now be choosing a more neutral color for the hallway and stairwell area. For the lip, I passed along BIG's suggestions but also sent him a copy of Bud's for illustration purposes.

Chinadog's Stage

My Stage With My New Lip

Celadon Playroom - Photographed more yellow but less fluorescent
post #239 of 1592 Old 10-08-2008, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Definitely wait until there are two dry coats before you judge any color with yellow tones to it. We did some sort of harvest gold, or autumn gold, or something gold in much of our house when we built. We stopped by after the first coat and had the "Oh, ****..." moment. It was AWFUL. My theory is the light colors like that don't show the white as much, but it's still coming through, ie it would be obvious if you were painting a dark color that it was 'off'. After the second coat, it will look like the color you chose.

And then...
post #240 of 1592 Old 10-08-2008, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
The tile in the bathroom is awesome. Great choice!
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Projectors , Speaker Systems , Chief , Wall Mount , Samsung Ln46a650 46 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv With Red Touch Of Color , Monoprice , Marantz Av8003 Networking Preamplifier , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Marantz , Replacement Projector Tv Lamp An K9lp For Sharp Xv Z9000 Xv Z9000e Xv Z9000u Projectors Tvs , Marantz Sr8002 Surround Receiver
Gear in this thread - Z9000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page