post #241 of 1592 Old 10-09-2008, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javatime View Post

The tile in the bathroom is awesome. Great choice!

Thanks Java. I was reluctant to go with the mosaic border due to the cost but am really glad that I did because I think it makes all the difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 1592 Old 10-09-2008, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Day 30: Second coat put on in the playroom. Looks a little bit less fluorescent. GC waiting for me to decide on what to do with the rest of the area-whether to finish with the Celadon or go with another color. Still not sure of what to do. Finally some progress in the HT, with the columns in place (not screwed down yet since they need to be wrapped in GOM by my HT guy), false wall and proscenium built.

Playroom With the Second Coat-Two White Cabinets and Built-In Shelves Will Go in This Bump Out So Maybe Then It Won't Look So Green

HT Rear Wall

HT Right Wall

HT Left Wall

False Wall and Proscenium

All the columns, false wall and proscenium still need to be rounded as well as painted black.
post #243 of 1592 Old 10-09-2008, 07:02 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Things are looking good. Just wondering on that front false wall how your guy will staple fabric to those metal top and bottom plates.
post #244 of 1592 Old 10-09-2008, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Things are looking good. Just wondering on that front false wall how your guy will staple fabric to those metal top and bottom plates.

Good point. I'll check with the HT guy. I believe he will be using fabric velcro frames but I will verify with him. Thanks for the feedback.
post #245 of 1592 Old 10-10-2008, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Day 31: Interesting day. Last night, I made my final decisions on the paint colors for the hall area, bathroom and all important ceiling in the HT. Still need to choose trim colors for playroom and HT. Was very worried with all the choices after seeing how the celadon came out (which by the way was incorrectly reported earlier as two coats-is still only one coat so there's still hope yet). Left the color cards on the basement door for the GC and was distracted all day at work wondering how they might come out. Well, I'm pleased to report that I am very happy with the outcome in all three rooms, especially the HT.

Hall - Painted in Rich Cream (only first coat)

Bathroom - Painted in Ivory Tusk (only first coat)

HT Ceiling - Painted in Blue Starry Night (two coats)- Keep in mind that it photographed much more vibrant than actual viewing conditions. It's much darker in person (closer to the shade by the staging area which was furthest away from my flash). It's funny because when I viewed it on my camera I immediately thought of the infamous blue milano. Really can't say enough about how pleased I am with it.

With the darker ceiling I'm leaning toward making the columns the same color patterns as the wall (like BIG's) instead of all black. Not sure of what to do with the doors. I really like the wood stained look but didn't buy the expensive doors so they will just be painted. Any ideas?
post #246 of 1592 Old 10-10-2008, 06:30 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

It's hard to tell from the pics but if the doors have a wood grain embossed surface a skilled painter can make them look like stained wood. I had a fiberglass front door that was finished to look like wood. Worked fine until it weathered/faded and we painted it black.
post #247 of 1592 Old 10-11-2008, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Checked with HT guy and he said that those metal studs would indeed be a problem. GC indicated it wouldn't be a problem to switch them out. BIG comes to the rescue yet again.

Day 32: Not too much to report except second coats put on in the playroom and the in the hall. Celadon toned down a bit more with the second coat so that was good. Still much happier though that I chose a more neutral color for the other areas.
post #248 of 1592 Old 10-13-2008, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I noticed new Lutron dimmers in boxes ready to be installed. I told my GC to hold off until I do additional research. I only have two zones - one for all the cans (12) and one for the sconces (4). I'll be using a URC-MX980. Is it possible to get away cheap and control the lighting without investing in a Grafik Eye? It's not important to be able to control the zones separately. I just wanted to be able to have the lights dim and turn back on for movie watching.
post #249 of 1592 Old 10-13-2008, 01:17 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

You'll get a quicker answer if you post your question in the Remote Control room.
post #250 of 1592 Old 10-15-2008, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You'll get a quicker answer if you post your question in the Remote Control room.

Got my answer. Apparently, URC and Lutron just came out with switches that don't require any additional wiring beyond basic switches which works out great for afterthoughts. However, afterthoughts are pretty pricey at $150 a switch. Trying to see if any discounts can be had. Having the lights dim off and on would be very cool .
post #251 of 1592 Old 10-15-2008, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Days 33 and 34: Crown molding put up in the playroom and hall areas. One coat of paint (atrium white) also applied so far. Very happy with the way the GC cut the 45s but still pining for bigger crown molding. Unfortunately, the window and door did not accommodate such. I suppose I shouldn't be greedy. After all, a few short weeks ago I did not even have a drywall ceiling, much less a crown. Tomorrow should be fun as the bathroom vanity, medicine cabinet and other cabinet are being delivered. Maybe I can get my sconces up too.

Playroom With Crown

Hall With Crown

Crown Close-Up (sorry, a bit blurry)

Fortunately, the HT space will allow for a bigger crown which I've already selected. Not much progress in the HT as we are awaiting instruction from HT guy on the furring strip locations. Still not sure of what to do with the doors. They do indeed have the grain etchings, however, I'm not too confident that the GC can skillfully paint them to replicate the stained wood look. Contemplating painting them whatever color I choose for the trim (possibly lavender ice). With light colored doors should I be concerned about possible reflections since my doors are fairly close to the screen?
post #252 of 1592 Old 10-15-2008, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looking very nice!

And then...
post #253 of 1592 Old 10-16-2008, 06:33 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

Days 33 and 34: With light colored doors should I be concerned about possible reflections since my doors are fairly close to the screen?

Your instincts are similar to mine on this issue. When I painted my molding and doors in the theater I used Semi-gloss on the wood work but a matching gallon of Satin for the doors. The satin is more durable than flat but not as shiny as Semi-gloss. To be honest I don't know if it would really make any difference but I tend to do a lot of things that fall into the "it might help" category.
post #254 of 1592 Old 10-16-2008, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 64
Looking Good - the crown molding really sets the room off!

I am at the stage of trim for my HT room >> can't wait to see your selection and photos of the wider crown

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #255 of 1592 Old 10-18-2008, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

I am at the stage of trim for my HT room >> can't wait to see your selection and photos of the wider crown

Thanks. Hope you can be patient since I won't be able to get down there for a few days-waiting for flooring to be put in. Plus, the trim in the HT will be the very last thing to be put up after the HT guy comes to do the install (which will likely be delayed by RS20 release) and fabric the walls. But once the flooring is all done, I can certainly hold up the scrap piece of crown that I have and take a picture of it by the HT ceiling.
post #256 of 1592 Old 10-18-2008, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Pedaso View Post

Looking very nice!

Thanks Stu. You see, you even beat out the professionals!
post #257 of 1592 Old 10-18-2008, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Days 35 and 36: Another coat of paint put on the crown molding. Additional crown put up at the bottom of the stairs (still needs paint). Area entirely cleared in preparation for flooring, application of Bostik MVP4 Water Vapor Barrier Protection. That stuff needs a couple days to dry so not much work can be done. My sconces are up in the bathroom but the picture came out really funny. Perhaps begging the question of do I need GE Reveals in there too? Alternatively, may also flip the sconces upside down depending on the placement of the medicine cabinet. Bathroom furniture arrived on Friday. Took some sneak peeks to make sure quality good but all boxed up again so no pics yet. Very happy with the selection.

Cleared Playroom - Any Suggestions On What Kind of Column To Cover My Pole (thinking maybe a fluted column with nice trim)?

Additional Crown

Bathroom Sconces

Bostik MVP
post #258 of 1592 Old 10-19-2008, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've been poking around other threads and am wondering if I'm making a mistake by going 16:9 instead of 2.35:1. I spoke to my HT guy and he said given my space (with limited room width of 14') and proscenium design (which could easily be taken out) I wouldn't really gain too much by it and in fact would just be losing some image instead. Cons are the additional cost of having to go AT and bigger screen, probably can't go RS20 then, as well as losing my beloved proscenium. Pros are obviously no crummy black bars. Any thoughts on the issue?
post #259 of 1592 Old 10-19-2008, 09:52 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

For what it is worth, I've been considering going 2:35 and a CIH setup for some time as part of my upgrade to a 1080P. I watch a fair amount of HD TV so I would need the ability to switch easily back and forth between the two formats. In the past that meant a fairly pricey lens setup.

I've recently been intrigued by the constant area concept of using a screen that is neither 16-9 nor 2:35. something in between and the new Panasonic being released soon that has a memory function of the zooming and positioning adjustments necessary to take advantage of the screen size. Masking is another issue.

A little here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1076469

It would seem getting a screen that has push button/automatic masking along both dimensions and a projector/lens that can adjust zoom and position would be the ultimate goal. My checkbook just isn't that deep right now thanks to ___________ (insert who ever you want to blame for the collapse of the real estate financial markets).

I agree that at this point you could modify your front end design. It seems that your tastes are evolving to being more and more sophisticated and you haven't finished HT 1.0.

To solve your dilemma you should ask yourself what are you going to be watching the most in this space. If it is DVDs Then go down to your space and put some blue tape on your false wall framing the size of your screen and the size of a 2:35 image on that screen.

If it looks too small from your viewing distances you have your answer of what you need to do.
post #260 of 1592 Old 10-19-2008, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It would seem getting a screen that has push button/automatic masking along both dimensions and a projector/lens that can adjust zoom and position would be the ultimate goal. My checkbook just isn't that deep right now thanks to ___________ (insert who ever you want to blame for the collapse of the real estate financial markets).

I agree that at this point you could modify your front end design. It seems that your tastes are evolving to being more and more sophisticated and you haven't finished HT 1.0.

To solve your dilemma you should ask yourself what are you going to be watching the most in this space. If it is DVDs Then go down to your space and put some blue tape on your false wall framing the size of your screen and the size of a 2:35 image on that screen.

That's the tough part. I keep telling myself that there's only going to be HT 1.0 so I want to do it right the first time. But yet, as you mentioned, the ultimate goal is to have automatic masking/lens that adjusts accordingly depending on what is being viewed at the time. And that ultimate goal comes at a hefty price, which I'm not ready to shell out right now either.

The blue tape will still be a good exercise to perform (once I'm allowed back down there). Intended viewing is mainly for DVDs but who knows once it's up and running. I wouldn't necessarily rule out HDTV. Funny, you may recall several pages back I was on the fence of whether the 110" might be too big and now I'll be testing to see whether it's too small. But then again, several pages back I had an entirely different set-up altogether. Reading this forum has proved to be a very expensive exercise .
post #261 of 1592 Old 10-19-2008, 07:46 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 View Post

Reading this forum has proved to be a very expensive exercise

Common affliction with no known cure. Quite often you are really happy with your gear until someone starts pointing out it's flaws.
post #262 of 1592 Old 10-25-2008, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Days 37-40: Flooring put it in all areas except for the closets. Chair rail started. Still need to pick out the base trim. Bathroom painted with second coat and vanity, medicine cabinet and toilet cabinet installed. Still waiting on HT guy for furring strip instruction so no progress on the HT.

Playroom

Hall

Bathroom

Plan on swapping out the light bulbs in the bathroom sconces. Was excited to find the GE Reveals on clearance at Target. Unfortunately, they did not have the ones I need for the HT on sale as well. Maybe next time.
post #263 of 1592 Old 10-25-2008, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

As I mentioned above, will be quite some time before the trim goes up in the HT since it will be the very last thing that is done, but in the meantime, here's what I've picked out.

post #264 of 1592 Old 10-27-2008, 07:10 AM

Liked: 16
This is a beautiful Build- just my 2cents
post #265 of 1592 Old 10-27-2008, 03:51 PM

Liked: 13
I love the Blue you used! In my previous build I used a dark blue called Chinaberry, which was really nice, but am rethinking changing to yours for this build!
post #266 of 1592 Old 10-28-2008, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kampswas View Post

This is a beautiful Build- just my 2cents

Thanks a lot kampswas. This is the first major thing I've done in my house (besides kitchen countertop and sinks) and I'm really bad with the interior decorating stuff so it's been a challenge but so far I'm very happy with the results.
post #267 of 1592 Old 10-28-2008, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davboy View Post

I love the Blue you used! In my previous build I used a dark blue called Chinaberry, which was really nice, but am rethinking changing to yours for this build!

It's funny because it was my quest to find the milano blue that led me down the path to starry night blue. Just be aware that in person it is quite dark but photographs much more vibrant as a result of the flash. In the first photo, the area closer to the false wall is more realistic of its true hue in person. But I'm very pleased with the way it came out.
post #268 of 1592 Old 10-28-2008, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Days 41 and 42: Flooring finished in all of the closets. Most of the base trim installed. Shower head and toilet installed. Still no progress on the HT.

Hall With Base Trim

Base Trim Close-Up

Bathroom-Photographed Much Better With the Reveals and Looks Softer in Person (thanks BIG!)

Toilet
post #269 of 1592 Old 10-28-2008, 06:33 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Things are looking good. I'm concerned that that mirror is hung too high on the wall for you and your kids to use. Looks like it could come down a few inches. I think it needs to practically rest on that ledge.

Your contractor must be a really tall guy, because I'm sure it works for him.
post #270 of 1592 Old 10-29-2008, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Things are looking good. I'm concerned that that mirror is hung too high on the wall for you and your kids to use. Looks like it could come down a few inches. I think it needs to practically rest on that ledge.

Your contractor must be a really tall guy, because I'm sure it works for him.

My mom has been bugging me about that for the past couple of days and I thought it was fine but after I saw your comment I went down again and sure enough I can't reach the top shelf. Will have him move it today. And yes, he is a very tall guy. May have to swivel those sconces the other way now. I can already hear my mom...

Some other minor setbacks-small crack in the corner of the bevelled mirror so manufacturer sending a new one. Flooring is uneven since cement was not poured level. Only visual problem is the base trim has gaps with the floor. GC is recommending 1/4" round (similar to the one used for the stage lip) to put on the bottom of all the trim and then caulk and paint. Not crazy about the idea but it's better than seeing the gap. But instead of a 90 degree angle with the floor (from trim edge to floor) I'll end up with something like 45 degrees (dust collector) with the round attached.
Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

Tags
Projectors , Speaker Systems , Chief , Wall Mount , Samsung Ln46a650 46 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv With Red Touch Of Color , Monoprice , Marantz Av8003 Networking Preamplifier , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Marantz , Replacement Projector Tv Lamp An K9lp For Sharp Xv Z9000 Xv Z9000e Xv Z9000u Projectors Tvs , Marantz Sr8002 Surround Receiver
Gear in this thread - Z9000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page