AVS Forum banner

how can I mount my center channel above a flatpanel TV?

73K views 51 replies 29 participants last post by  acras13 
#1 ·
I have a plasma TV that sits on a cabnet, but not against a wall - it's kitty corner so there's just space behind it. i don't have any space to put my center channel in the cabinet or on top of the cabinet in front of the TV (that's an option, but it limits what center channels I could use). The TV is too thin (2 inches of surface at the top?) to safely sit a speaker on.

Has anyone seen some kind of speaker mounting system that would let me sit my center channel directly above my flatpanel TV? some kind of boom stand or ???

#5 ·
My post is probably more than a little off what you had in mind.

What I did was overkill, but I did put a heavy speaker over my plasma.
http://www.bobgolds.com/LivingRoomPl...ction/home.htm (warning - lots of pictures on that big page, may take a while to download).

What you're looking for is 60% to 70% of the way down.

This isn't quite what you wanted, but my point is you can build or get built anything.

Something here might give you another idea. Some of these are fairly strong.
http://www.bobgolds.com/LivingRoomPlasma/backer.htm

There's always "don't raise the bridge, lower the river" which in this case would be mount the plasma/lcd and put the speaker on the existing cabinet.

#7 ·
I had a similar issue with my Sammy plasma except I have a flat panel center. I simply took two pieces of 3/4 inch flat bar and cut it to proper length, then drilled holes to fit the back of the speaker and lineup with the main cover holes on the back of the tv. I bought some bolts a tad longer than the originals in the rear cover and presto.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikemike /forum/post/13227722

I had a similar issue with my Sammy plasma except I have a flat panel center. I simply took two pieces of 3/4 inch flat bar and cut it to proper length, then drilled holes to fit the back of the speaker and lineup with the main cover holes on the back of the tv. I bought some bolts a tad longer than the originals in the rear cover and presto.

any pics? i'm in the same dilemma.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynn337 /forum/post/13213988

I have a plasma TV that sits on a cabnet, but not against a wall - it's kitty corner so there's just space behind it. i don't have any space to put my center channel in the cabinet or on top of the cabinet in front of the TV (that's an option, but it limits what center channels I could use). The TV is too thin (2 inches of surface at the top?) to safely sit a speaker on.

Has anyone seen some kind of speaker mounting system that would let me sit my center channel directly above my flatpanel TV? some kind of boom stand or ???

Oh long dead thread, arise...

So, did you ever figure out the answer to your center-channel problems? I'm also in the same boat. I have small, 12lb mini-monitors and want to keep a vertical orientation for the center, to match the other 6 speakers. My TV is also in a corner, no wall for mounting.

I wouldn't revive a thread without adding something to it...

My ideas so far are:

1) Getting a cheap flat panel wall-mount and accompanying attachment for a center channel. But, most of these brackets are meant to mount the speaker below the TV, and are not very strong. Tilting ability is a must, not just aimed straight-ahead.

2) Mount a piece of wood in back of the TV and build out some kind of support

3) Ceiling mount, but haven't found something to suspend a speaker about 5 feet from the ceiling.

Please post your solution if you found one!

#11 ·

i used a sanus mount from target, and cut 8" off of it. then redrilled the holes i needed. it is for 13-27" CRT tv's. basically the same one rupert posted above.

#13 ·
it wasn't ideal since you want the center channel tweeters at the same level as the tweeters on the front speakers, but it is all i had to work with.

#15 ·
After looking everywhere for a suitable solution to mounting my center channel above my plasma tv, I decided to build my own solution. Being that every plasma is optionally meant to be mounted on a wall (mine being roughly 130 lbs), I felt that it was safe to assume that the existing mounting on the back on the tv would easily handle the weight of my center channel and those much larger if necessary. The entire project cost me roughly $25. Note that I already had the appropriate mounting bolts and washers.

What you need

I have a 65″ Panasonic TC-P65S2 and these are the parts I used. Of course, adjust the parts based on the size you require for your set.

* (2) 12″ Shelving brackets ( link )

* (2) 30″ Shelving rails ( link )

* (4) 8mm x 40mm bolts, please note the size of the bolt depends on your set, so please consult your owners manual for the size of the mounting bolt.

* (4) 8mm washers

* (6) medium felt pads --placed on shelving rails to protect tv ( link )

* (1 or 2) wood plank or shelf

* (2) rubber wedge door stops to angle speaker down to listening area ( link )

Tools: ratchet, dremel or drill and bit large enough to drill holes for the mounting bolts (if needed).

Instructions

I attached a shelf bracket to one of the rails and lined up where the shelf would line up with the top of the set. Matched the rail up to both of the mounting bolts on the back of the tv. I then used a dremel to cut out the areas of the rail corresponding to each mounting bolt. Lastly, I attached three medium furniture felt pads to each of the two shelving rails to provide a buffer between the rails and the back of the tv.

Once both rails are completed all that is needed is to attach the rails to the rear of the TV using the mounting bolts. I ratcheted the bolts down to semi-hand tight and added the brackets and the shelf. Here are my finished results:

--joel

#49 ·
After looking everywhere for a suitable solution to mounting my center channel above my plasma tv, I decided to build my own solution. Being that every plasma is optionally meant to be mounted on a wall (mine being roughly 130 lbs), I felt that it was safe to assume that the existing mounting on the back on the tv would easily handle the weight of my center channel and those much larger if necessary. The entire project cost me roughly $25. Note that I already had the appropriate mounting bolts and washers.

What you need

I have a 65″ Panasonic TC-P65S2 and these are the parts I used. Of course, adjust the parts based on the size you require for your set.

* (2) 12″ Shelving brackets (link)
* (2) 30″ Shelving rails (link)
* (4) 8mm x 40mm bolts, please note the size of the bolt depends on your set, so please consult your owners manual for the size of the mounting bolt.
* (4) 8mm washers
* (6) medium felt pads --placed on shelving rails to protect tv (link)
* (1 or 2) wood plank or shelf
* (2) rubber wedge door stops to angle speaker down to listening area (link)

Tools: ratchet, dremel or drill and bit large enough to drill holes for the mounting bolts (if needed).

Instructions

I attached a shelf bracket to one of the rails and lined up where the shelf would line up with the top of the set. Matched the rail up to both of the mounting bolts on the back of the tv. I then used a dremel to cut out the areas of the rail corresponding to each mounting bolt. Lastly, I attached three medium furniture felt pads to each of the two shelving rails to provide a buffer between the rails and the back of the tv.

Once both rails are completed all that is needed is to attach the rails to the rear of the TV using the mounting bolts. I ratcheted the bolts down to semi-hand tight and added the brackets and the shelf. Here are my finished results:

--joel

I had to register just so I could thank you for this amazing, ingenious tip!

I had been wanting to upgrade my front and center speakers for a while now. Pretty much all they had going for them was their small size because I had grown fond of having them mounted from the ceiling. When it came to finding replacements I became nervous about finding a suitable center channel that could be placed similarly. Solutions were sparse and expensive, but then I found this post! I took the cue to seriously search around and stumbled upon an older Cambridge Soundworks set (which sound amazing by the way, even my wife was impressed).

The center speaker of this thing is enormous while still hiding its ~20lb weight well, but my 60" Sharp holds the weight while remaining sturdy. I really couldn't be happier! This should be stickied so it becomes common knowledge.

Attachments

#16 ·
I tried to include links to the supplies that I listed above... being that it was my first post, I am unable to. I purchased all of my supplies from Home Depot. The rails were around $3.50 each. The shelf bracket were about the same. The rubber wedge door stoppers were $1.50 for two.

--joel

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelb727 /forum/post/0

I tried to include links to the supplies that I listed above... being that it was my first post, I am unable to. I purchased all of my supplies from Home Depot. The rails were around $3.50 each. The shelf bracket were about the same. The rubber wedge door stoppers were $1.50 for two.

--joel

Nice work Joel!

That was an awesome idea that I'm sure numerous folks will duplicate that visit this thread. Nothing like thinking outside the box - love it!

#19 ·
Screwing the brackets to the TV should be fine since those screw holes are for mounting the heavy TV itself to the wall as Joel has said.

My concern is that this adds extra stress to the stand itself both by the extra weight and the fact that it is not centered directly above the stand. The weight is at the top, so if the TV was bumped, it would significantly increase the torque put on the base as the whole thing sways, even just a little. Since it is hanging off the back, it results in a cantilever effect that is constantly trying to push the whole thing backwards.

The stand is designed to handle weight directly over it.

~ Marty

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty398 /forum/post/19843312

Screwing the brackets to the TV should be fine since those screw holes are for mounting the heavy TV itself to the wall as Joel has said.

My concern is that this adds extra stress to the stand itself both by the extra weight and the fact that it is not centered directly above the stand. The weight is at the top, so if the TV was bumped, it would significantly increase the torque put on the base as the whole thing sways, even just a little. Since it is hanging off the back, it results in a cantilever effect that is constantly trying to push the whole thing backwards.

The stand is designed to handle weight directly over it.

~ Marty

I still maintain that the approach is sound.

I have had the set-up for over two months now with zero problems. Before posting the mod, I placed 50 lbs of weights (progressively) on the shelf to test... and tried this for two days before actually placing my center channel above the TV. Also, I should note that my TV rests on a swivel that sits on the TV stand. Since mounting the center channel, I have had nearly daily reasons to swivel the TV back and forth due to my family having a gaming system... so I can attest that having the center channel in it's current position has not made one bit of difference. The only thing that I need to remember and be careful of is hitting the actual shelf with my head if I ever need to go behind the entertainment center for whatever reason.

In theory, I can see what you're saying Marty. But the center channel is nowhere close to the same weight as my TV. The center channel is ~12 lbs and the TV is close to ~137 lbs... not nearly enough to present the cantilever effect mentioned... but then again... this is my opinion based on my specific situation. As noted, I have tested the set-up to accommodate a center channel 5 times the weight... for the possibility of safely mounting a center channel that I have had my eye on for an upgrade at some point. Even with over 50 lbs up there, I can attest that the weight difference between TV and center channel did not present any real-world threat to tipping over.

Of course, one must always use their best judgment for their specific situation. I have only shared a possible solution that was viable for my specific set-up.

I'm curious to know if anyone has actually tried the mod?? If so, I'm interested to know their experiences and if it has presented any real-world issues or concerns.

--joel

#21 ·
It was the strength of the swivel stand that concerned me. My TV (Samsung 46") isn't as heavy as your plasma, so adding another 13-15 lbs is a more significant increase for me than adding it to your 137 lb TV.

The fact that you are actually moving yours daily without issues seems to prove that this actually is a pretty good and safe solution.

Thanks for the feedback.

#22 ·
Thanks for the great idea. We just moved to London and we are doing are best to not drill any holes in the walls. Went out and bought all the supplies this morning and was done in about an hour. This is mounted to my P55ST30

CHANNEL MOUNTED[/URL] by Flyinace2000 , on Flickr

Channel hardwar[/URL] by Flyinace2000 , on Flickr

#24 ·
Thanks guys, I may just give this a try. I have CS1 and soon to have a CSi3. Later down the line I will get a CSi A6. I dont have enough space below my TV for this speaker.

I assume a smaller TV (Samsung 40") will cause the shelf to be higher above the TV using the 30" rail when compared to your 65", correct?

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelb727 /forum/post/22097445

You would just need to purchase smaller length rails or cut them to the size appropriate to your tv.

--joel

Thanks. Now I have been concerned about the ~30lb weight added by the speaker for my TV stand. What's your opinion on this amount of weight added to the TV? My TV weighs ~32 lbs already.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.