how can I mount my center channel above a flatpanel TV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 49 Old 02-25-2008, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a plasma TV that sits on a cabnet, but not against a wall - it's kitty corner so there's just space behind it. i don't have any space to put my center channel in the cabinet or on top of the cabinet in front of the TV (that's an option, but it limits what center channels I could use). The TV is too thin (2 inches of surface at the top?) to safely sit a speaker on.

Has anyone seen some kind of speaker mounting system that would let me sit my center channel directly above my flatpanel TV? some kind of boom stand or ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 02-25-2008, 12:53 PM

Depending on what type of center speaker you use (ie wood inclosed) you could use a celeing mount for a projector and screw the speaker to it and the mount to the wall/cabnet. Would have better idea if you had pic's.
post #3 of 49 Old 02-25-2008, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

A wall mount designed for a small TV can work nicely for a center channel speaker:

http://www.racksandstands.com/TV-Wall-Mounts-C114.html
post #4 of 49 Old 02-25-2008, 02:23 PM

Liked: 11
If you're handy build a nice corner shelf and paint/stain it to match your tv cabinet/stand.
post #5 of 49 Old 02-26-2008, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 68
My post is probably more than a little off what you had in mind.

What I did was overkill, but I did put a heavy speaker over my plasma.
http://www.bobgolds.com/LivingRoomPl...ction/home.htm (warning - lots of pictures on that big page, may take a while to download).
What you're looking for is 60% to 70% of the way down.
This isn't quite what you wanted, but my point is you can build or get built anything.

Something here might give you another idea. Some of these are fairly strong.
http://www.bobgolds.com/LivingRoomPlasma/backer.htm
There's always "don't raise the bridge, lower the river" which in this case would be mount the plasma/lcd and put the speaker on the existing cabinet.

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.
post #6 of 49 Old 02-26-2008, 01:32 AM

go to a circuit city, they have a special shelf for putting a center channel speaker ontop of a flat panel tv, i think it was 30 or 40 dollars
post #7 of 49 Old 02-26-2008, 11:22 AM

I had a similar issue with my Sammy plasma except I have a flat panel center. I simply took two pieces of 3/4 inch flat bar and cut it to proper length, then drilled holes to fit the back of the speaker and lineup with the main cover holes on the back of the tv. I bought some bolts a tad longer than the originals in the rear cover and presto.
post #8 of 49 Old 03-07-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikemike View Post

I had a similar issue with my Sammy plasma except I have a flat panel center. I simply took two pieces of 3/4 inch flat bar and cut it to proper length, then drilled holes to fit the back of the speaker and lineup with the main cover holes on the back of the tv. I bought some bolts a tad longer than the originals in the rear cover and presto.

any pics? i'm in the same dilemma.
post #9 of 49 Old 02-10-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynn337 View Post

I have a plasma TV that sits on a cabnet, but not against a wall - it's kitty corner so there's just space behind it. i don't have any space to put my center channel in the cabinet or on top of the cabinet in front of the TV (that's an option, but it limits what center channels I could use). The TV is too thin (2 inches of surface at the top?) to safely sit a speaker on.

Has anyone seen some kind of speaker mounting system that would let me sit my center channel directly above my flatpanel TV? some kind of boom stand or ???

Oh long dead thread, arise...

So, did you ever figure out the answer to your center-channel problems? I'm also in the same boat. I have small, 12lb mini-monitors and want to keep a vertical orientation for the center, to match the other 6 speakers. My TV is also in a corner, no wall for mounting.

I wouldn't revive a thread without adding something to it...

My ideas so far are:

1) Getting a cheap flat panel wall-mount and accompanying attachment for a center channel. But, most of these brackets are meant to mount the speaker below the TV, and are not very strong. Tilting ability is a must, not just aimed straight-ahead.

2) Mount a piece of wood in back of the TV and build out some kind of support

3) Ceiling mount, but haven't found something to suspend a speaker about 5 feet from the ceiling.

Please post your solution if you found one!

Pioneer | Cambridge Audio | Dynaudio | Identical + equidistant 5.0 | KISS

post #10 of 49 Old 02-11-2009, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Would this work? speaker can be mounted above or below and it's only $21.

chili
somebody set up us the bomb
post #11 of 49 Old 02-13-2009, 02:04 PM

i used a sanus mount from target, and cut 8" off of it. then redrilled the holes i needed. it is for 13-27" CRT tv's. basically the same one rupert posted above.
post #12 of 49 Old 02-16-2009, 01:03 AM

that's actually really cool, never thought about above. always went below...
post #13 of 49 Old 02-16-2009, 10:04 AM

it wasn't ideal since you want the center channel tweeters at the same level as the tweeters on the front speakers, but it is all i had to work with.
post #14 of 49 Old 11-21-2010, 03:10 PM

Let the dead thread live!

I'm tossing around the idea of trying to mount a CSi 3 above my flat panel.

Have people successfully used the wall mounting screw holes to hold a shelf for the speaker? Is that too much weight to be hanging off the back of the TV?
post #15 of 49 Old 12-14-2010, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
After looking everywhere for a suitable solution to mounting my center channel above my plasma tv, I decided to build my own solution. Being that every plasma is optionally meant to be mounted on a wall (mine being roughly 130 lbs), I felt that it was safe to assume that the existing mounting on the back on the tv would easily handle the weight of my center channel and those much larger if necessary. The entire project cost me roughly $25. Note that I already had the appropriate mounting bolts and washers.

What you need

I have a 65″ Panasonic TC-P65S2 and these are the parts I used. Of course, adjust the parts based on the size you require for your set.

* (2) 12″ Shelving brackets (link)
* (2) 30″ Shelving rails (link)
* (4) 8mm x 40mm bolts, please note the size of the bolt depends on your set, so please consult your owners manual for the size of the mounting bolt.
* (4) 8mm washers
* (6) medium felt pads --placed on shelving rails to protect tv (link)
* (1 or 2) wood plank or shelf
* (2) rubber wedge door stops to angle speaker down to listening area (link)

Tools: ratchet, dremel or drill and bit large enough to drill holes for the mounting bolts (if needed).

Instructions

I attached a shelf bracket to one of the rails and lined up where the shelf would line up with the top of the set. Matched the rail up to both of the mounting bolts on the back of the tv. I then used a dremel to cut out the areas of the rail corresponding to each mounting bolt. Lastly, I attached three medium furniture felt pads to each of the two shelving rails to provide a buffer between the rails and the back of the tv.

Once both rails are completed all that is needed is to attach the rails to the rear of the TV using the mounting bolts. I ratcheted the bolts down to semi-hand tight and added the brackets and the shelf. Here are my finished results:

--joel
LL
LL
LL
post #16 of 49 Old 12-14-2010, 03:22 PM

I tried to include links to the supplies that I listed above... being that it was my first post, I am unable to. I purchased all of my supplies from Home Depot. The rails were around $3.50 each. The shelf bracket were about the same. The rubber wedge door stoppers were $1.50 for two.

--joel
post #17 of 49 Old 12-14-2010, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelb727 View Post

I tried to include links to the supplies that I listed above... being that it was my first post, I am unable to. I purchased all of my supplies from Home Depot. The rails were around $3.50 each. The shelf bracket were about the same. The rubber wedge door stoppers were $1.50 for two.

--joel

Nice work Joel!
That was an awesome idea that I'm sure numerous folks will duplicate that visit this thread. Nothing like thinking outside the box - love it!

Love DIY
post #18 of 49 Old 12-19-2010, 07:09 PM

Ripper Idea.

I have the same Panel, and the same problem so will give it a go myself.
Cheers
JP
post #19 of 49 Old 01-17-2011, 06:19 AM

Screwing the brackets to the TV should be fine since those screw holes are for mounting the heavy TV itself to the wall as Joel has said.

My concern is that this adds extra stress to the stand itself both by the extra weight and the fact that it is not centered directly above the stand. The weight is at the top, so if the TV was bumped, it would significantly increase the torque put on the base as the whole thing sways, even just a little. Since it is hanging off the back, it results in a cantilever effect that is constantly trying to push the whole thing backwards.

The stand is designed to handle weight directly over it.

~ Marty
post #20 of 49 Old 01-17-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty398 View Post

Screwing the brackets to the TV should be fine since those screw holes are for mounting the heavy TV itself to the wall as Joel has said.

My concern is that this adds extra stress to the stand itself both by the extra weight and the fact that it is not centered directly above the stand. The weight is at the top, so if the TV was bumped, it would significantly increase the torque put on the base as the whole thing sways, even just a little. Since it is hanging off the back, it results in a cantilever effect that is constantly trying to push the whole thing backwards.

The stand is designed to handle weight directly over it.

~ Marty

I still maintain that the approach is sound.

I have had the set-up for over two months now with zero problems. Before posting the mod, I placed 50 lbs of weights (progressively) on the shelf to test... and tried this for two days before actually placing my center channel above the TV. Also, I should note that my TV rests on a swivel that sits on the TV stand. Since mounting the center channel, I have had nearly daily reasons to swivel the TV back and forth due to my family having a gaming system... so I can attest that having the center channel in it's current position has not made one bit of difference. The only thing that I need to remember and be careful of is hitting the actual shelf with my head if I ever need to go behind the entertainment center for whatever reason.

In theory, I can see what you're saying Marty. But the center channel is nowhere close to the same weight as my TV. The center channel is ~12 lbs and the TV is close to ~137 lbs... not nearly enough to present the cantilever effect mentioned... but then again... this is my opinion based on my specific situation. As noted, I have tested the set-up to accommodate a center channel 5 times the weight... for the possibility of safely mounting a center channel that I have had my eye on for an upgrade at some point. Even with over 50 lbs up there, I can attest that the weight difference between TV and center channel did not present any real-world threat to tipping over.

Of course, one must always use their best judgment for their specific situation. I have only shared a possible solution that was viable for my specific set-up.

I'm curious to know if anyone has actually tried the mod?? If so, I'm interested to know their experiences and if it has presented any real-world issues or concerns.

--joel
post #21 of 49 Old 01-19-2011, 04:21 AM

It was the strength of the swivel stand that concerned me. My TV (Samsung 46") isn't as heavy as your plasma, so adding another 13-15 lbs is a more significant increase for me than adding it to your 137 lb TV.

The fact that you are actually moving yours daily without issues seems to prove that this actually is a pretty good and safe solution.

Thanks for the feedback.
post #22 of 49 Old 04-11-2012, 04:45 AM

Thanks for the great idea. We just moved to London and we are doing are best to not drill any holes in the walls. Went out and bought all the supplies this morning and was done in about an hour. This is mounted to my P55ST30

CENTER CHANNEL MOUNTED by Flyinace2000, on Flickr

Center Channel hardwar by Flyinace2000, on Flickr

MORE PIXELS!!!
post #23 of 49 Old 05-16-2012, 04:23 PM

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to drop in and say thanks, the shelf solution using the VESA holes worked perfectly for me on my TC-P65ST30.
post #24 of 49 Old 06-03-2012, 09:07 AM

Thanks guys, I may just give this a try. I have CS1 and soon to have a CSi3. Later down the line I will get a CSi A6. I dont have enough space below my TV for this speaker.

I assume a smaller TV (Samsung 40") will cause the shelf to be higher above the TV using the 30" rail when compared to your 65", correct?

AVR: Onkyo 3009...Onkyo 609 (Old)
Amp: QSC GX5 (powering RTi A7s) & GX3 (powering CSi3)

Speakers:
Polk Audio CSi3 (Center)...CS1 (Old)
Polk Audio RTi A7 (Fronts)...Monitor 60 (old)
Polk Audio OWM 5 (Surrounds)

Sub: SVS PC12-Plus...BIC America PL-200(Old)
post #25 of 49 Old 06-04-2012, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeyayo50 View Post

I assume a smaller TV (Samsung 40") will cause the shelf to be higher above the TV using the 30" rail when compared to your 65", correct?

You would just need to purchase smaller length rails or cut them to the size appropriate to your tv.

--joel
post #26 of 49 Old 06-04-2012, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelb727 View Post

You would just need to purchase smaller length rails or cut them to the size appropriate to your tv.

--joel

Thanks. Now I have been concerned about the ~30lb weight added by the speaker for my TV stand. What's your opinion on this amount of weight added to the TV? My TV weighs ~32 lbs already.

Speakers:

post #27 of 49 Old 06-04-2012, 08:11 AM

I actually found a company that makes a large mount for speakers up to 25lbs...Center Stage. I think I may give this a try. $60 seems like a decent price if it works.

http://centerstagebracket.com/1210.html

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPqhyev-NQ8

Speakers:

post #28 of 49 Old 06-06-2012, 06:01 PM

Just received my Center Stage mount. Build quality is ok. It feels a slight bit flimsy for the price. I also notice it pushes in the back of my TV slightly where the feet rest. Maybe due to the TV being so thin. Will keep an eye on this. May get a peice of hard plastic/metal put under the feet to distribute the weight more to have less flex and also increase the downward angle position.Will probably have to do it if i get a bigger center speaker too. My TV is thin so i have the feet extended to the max and the downward angle is still not enough for me.

Currently have a Polk CS1 and Samsung UN40D6000.

Some images of the mount

Speakers:

post #29 of 49 Old 11-07-2012, 10:14 AM

First I would like to say this is brilliant. I tried this last night on my 55ST50 and it seems to put a lot of stress on the TV stand. When I place my CS1 on it the TV leans back a bit and tends to be a bit bouncy. Have you noticed this at all?
post #30 of 49 Old 11-10-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightracerLS View Post

First I would like to say this is brilliant. I tried this last night on my 55ST50 and it seems to put a lot of stress on the TV stand. When I place my CS1 on it the TV leans back a bit and tends to be a bit bouncy. Have you noticed this at all?

It puts a small amount of stress on my TV stand and I do see my TV bends back a bit. However, I don't touch my TV at all since I installed the stand. It has been working fine for me. I don't have any problems. It's a good stand, don't worry. Your TV will be fine. What size TV is it?

Speakers:

Reply General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page