AVS Forum banner

Blue Underground goes Blu-Underground

5K views 54 replies 25 participants last post by  Kentai 
#1 ·
Hey, I'm hearing that cult-indie label Blue Underground is announcing future BD support, anyone else hearing this?

If so, hot ****!!!
it's a horror and Euro-sleaze fans dream come true.

ZOMBIE, DAUGHTERS OF DARKNESS, VENUS IN FURS, EUGINIE DE SADE, SHOCK WAVES, DEAD & BURIED, MANIAC, LIVING DEAD AT MANCHESTER MORGUE, CITY OF THE DEAD, SALON KITTY, THE BEYOND.......

See less See more
#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Ramzyk /forum/post/13303485

I think ZOMBIE is a pretty safe bet if they start doing BD (I'll be second in line).

Third in line. ZOMBIE VS. SHARK!!! I serious hope they have it titled Zombi 2 on the cover though... That's what the DVD I have is titled, and I just like that title better. Of course, its one you have to explain to the un-geeks

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Ramzyk /forum/post/13302011

I don't know how this slipped my radar, but speaking of cult horror, I only discovered last night that there was a region-2 release of Niel Jordan's COMPANY OF WOLVES on BD. I promptly ordered it as I was a little underwhelmed by the DVD transfer here in the states.

I have this BD and it is terrific. Totally kicked the SD version to the curb. While I still think they could remaster it even more, the BD is still plenty nice. I just wish it had more extras. At least it is region-free.

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerserkerTails /forum/post/13303590

Third in line. ZOMBIE VS. SHARK!!! I serious hope they have it titled Zombi 2 on the cover though... That's what the DVD I have is titled, and I just like that title better. Of course, its one you have to explain to the un-geeks

I always have my good pal the Angry Video Game Nerd explain it to them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEVzPCY2T-g

*Note: skip ahead to 8:55 for the reference to the Zombie series.

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian81 /forum/post/13306671

BTW, I will say that I'm very surprised to hear this news as Lustig had spoken last year of getting out of the DVD business, because it's too expensive and titles don't sell enough to justify purchasing rights to release.

I'd heard that too, but they have kind of ramped up their schedule (some a re-prints). Maybe BCI actually made a profit on their BDs, or maybe he just wants to see if there is a any $ in double-dips for BD. At the rate studios put out titles I suppose you could be as big fish in a small pond for awhile.

#35 ·
I'd hazard a guess that all those Anchor Bay reissues have done them well. There's a lot of A-list cult titles and they were reasonably priced and they're probably all decent regular catalogue sellers. As for BD, i have a feeling they'll be region free so they can beat the European distributors to the punch and be the first to get some of these titles out for worldwide availability. The Argento's and Fulci's especially are the kind of titles to maybe drive fence sitters into getting a BD player so there's market potential for them hopefully.

On another note, i wouldn't be expecting too much in the way of new masters unless a new SD release is planned. I emailed them over a year ago and the response i got was that they were looking into HD releases for the future as several of their titles were already mastered in HD. I doubt at this point the profitability is there to have them redone specifically.

#36 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerserkerTails /forum/post/13303590

Nah, I'd have to argue in favor of the film's UK title, ZOMBIE FLESH-EATERS.

Now that's a perfect exploitation movie title, and it sums up both the content and intent of the film pretty neatly, I'd say...

#37 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Shaw /forum/post/13308152

Nah, I'd have to argue in favor of the film's UK title, ZOMBIE FLESH-EATERS.

Now that's a perfect exploitation movie title, and it sums up both the content and intent of the film pretty neatly, I'd say...

The irony is that though the UK title is the most graphic-sounding, UK got a softer cut of the film. So when I see "ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS", I just assume that eye-kabob is not on the menu.

#38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Ramzyk /forum/post/13310410

The irony is that though the UK title is the most graphic-sounding, UK got a softer cut of the film. So when I see "ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS", I just assume that eye-kabob is not on the menu.

Yep, the UK was forced to suffer a compromised version of the film for a very long time, but following a change of management at the British Board of Film Classification in 2000, the censorship situation has changed dramatically over here. It could be argued the BBFC is now one of the most open, accountable and liberal censor boards in the world. Needless to say, ZOMBIE FLESH-EATERS has since been passed completely uncut in the UK, with every eye-splitting, gut-munching, brain-splattering frame unleashed on the British public.

Oddly enough, since the uncut re-release of this and various other 'video nasties', civilisation doesn't seem to have imploded, as our various moral guardians seemed to fear it would...

#40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnationdoormat /forum/post/16601955

The New York Ripper is coming 9/29.

Really?

Can´t find any info about it coming on BD on their homepage.

Where did you find the info about it?

New York Ripper really needs a High Def release since the old Anchor Bay transfer is pretty mediocre compared to the other Fulci transfers.

Please let this be true!!!

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Shaw /forum/post/13392075

Yep, the UK was forced to suffer a compromised version of the film for a very long time, but following a change of management at the British Board of Film Classification in 2000, the censorship situation has changed dramatically over here. It could be argued the BBFC is now one of the most open, accountable and liberal censor boards in the world. Needless to say, ZOMBIE FLESH-EATERS has since been passed completely uncut in the UK, with every eye-splitting, gut-munching, brain-splattering frame unleashed on the British public.

Oddly enough, since the uncut re-release of this and various other 'video nasties', civilisation doesn't seem to have imploded, as our various moral guardians seemed to fear it would...

Hip Hip Hooray.

Since Ferman left i feel so much better about buying or renting UK titles although my American player is region locked which is a shame.

Can you imagine what might happen if the Conservatives get back into power....Doesn't bear thinking about but i think censorship will be bad again sometime in the near future

Bring on The Beyond and Zombie Flesh Eaters ( Zombi 2 )

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /forum/post/16608766

Do Grindhouse do Blu Ray and do quality transfers ?

No Blu-Ray´s yet, but they sure do awesome transfers.

The DVD:s of "Cannibal Holocaust" and the latest "Pieces" looks amazing

Both was mastered from a new High-Def source, so hopefully they release those on BD in a near future.

I need more stuff like this on Blu-Ray, and I hope Blue-Underground will release their entire catalog in Blu in the coming years

#47 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /forum/post/16608766

Oh thats a shame i was just repeating it as Timothy brought it up on the first post.

Do Grindhouse do Blu Ray and do quality transfers ?

Nah, no Blu-rays yet. They're painfully slow with DVD releases.

Their transfers are hit and miss. Pieces, The Beyond, and I Drink Your Blood look great, but Cannibal Holocaust and Cat in the Brain are severely lacking. I doubt their even from HD masters. Cannibal Ferox is an old 4x3 transfer.

Here's some thoughts on their Cat in the Brain DVD on my blog.

#49 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie76 /forum/post/16609003

No Blu-Ray´s yet, but they sure do awesome transfers.

The DVDs of "Cannibal Holocaust"...was mastered from a new High-Def source, so hopefully they release those on BD in a near future.

Just for reference:

Alan Young Pictures DVD (Italy)

EC Entertainment Ultrabit DVD (Netherlands)

Grindhouse Releasing DVD (U.S.):

After years of waiting GR seemingly dumped the film onto American DVD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.