Audio pop on Chronos Bluray DTS-HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-15-2008, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone experienced an "audio pop" from their speakers while watching Chronos on their Bluray player?
I just got this title but heard a loud audio pop near the end of the movie arouind 38:50 to 38:55 (38:52 exactly I think) where the camera is looking up at the cathedral ceiling with the lights shining thru

I backed it up and turned down the volume and heard the same thing

I have a Panasonic DMPBD30 player going into an Onkyo TX-SR705
I was playing the DTS-HD track

Wonder if it was a passage with loud deep bass and since I dont have my sub setup yet it overloaded the main speakers?

Can any one confirm this and what should I do?

8/27/08 Update -
Here is the reason for this AVR issue (that affects many BD and HD-DVD discs) and how to solve it:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post13400675
Thanks

"We each pay a fabulous price, for our visions of paradise. But a spirit with a vision, is a dream with a mission" - Rush
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-15-2008, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 51
This seems similar to some other reports I've read regarding bit-streaming particular DTS-HD MA tracks. Check this thread on The Fly for one example. Quite a few people reported a similar problem with that release.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-17-2008, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah from what I read it sounded similar and as scary
I will have to go back and listen to the non DTSHD track so compare and see if it does it there.
Since not a lot of folks have the DTSHD compatible receivers yet maybe not too many are able to hear it to test it yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

This seems similar to some other reports I've read regarding bit-streaming particular DTS-HD MA tracks. Check this thread on The Fly for one example. Quite a few people reported a similar problem with that release.

"We each pay a fabulous price, for our visions of paradise. But a spirit with a vision, is a dream with a mission" - Rush
post #4 of 12 Old 03-17-2008, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglerxt View Post

Has anyone experienced an "audio pop" from their speakers while watching Chronos on their Bluray player?
I just got this title but heard a loud audio pop near the end of the movie arouind 38:50 to 38:55 (38:52 exactly I think) where the camera is looking up at the cathedral ceiling with the lights shining thru

I backed it up and turned down the volume and heard the same thing

I have a Panasonic DMPBD30 player going into an Onkyo TX-SR705
I was playing the DTS-HD track

Wonder if it was a passage with loud deep bass and since I dont have my sub setup yet it overloaded the main speakers?

Can any one confirm this and what should I do?

Thanks

Was your Onkyo build date before October 2007? If so, it may not have the latest firmware, the original 1.0 firmware had issues with locking onto bitstreams.

Vote with your wallet. Don't buy Cinavia-infected Blu-ray Discs! Why pay a premium for pseudo-lossless audio damaged by an intrusive watermark in the audible spectrum?
post #5 of 12 Old 03-17-2008, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I've not used that title. But i own a Denon 3808 and BD30k (latest FW for both). I watched Smoot'em UP, Pan Labyrithn and Queen and never experience Popping with DTS HD MA...

89+ Blu-ray Disc ;)
post #6 of 12 Old 03-18-2008, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I doubt it as I just bought it 1 to 2 months ago brand new from Amazon
I havent done any firmware updates for it yet
Will check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

Was your Onkyo build date before October 2007? If so, it may not have the latest firmware, the original 1.0 firmware had issues with locking onto bitstreams.

post #7 of 12 Old 03-18-2008, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I replayed the Chronos BR the other day on the Dolby Digtial 5.1 track (with very low volume just in case) and didnt hear any pop so it seems its definitely the DTSHD track only that has the issue

I also sent an email to the mfg of the disc. Waiting to hear back from them

post #8 of 12 Old 03-18-2008, 11:48 PM

Most audio issues seem isolated to people who own Onkyo receivers.

My 805 gets replaced with a Denon 3808 next week. The 805 is far and away the worst receiver I've ever owned.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-19-2008, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRSX View Post

Most audio issues seem isolated to people who own Onkyo receivers.

My 805 gets replaced with a Denon 3808 next week. The 805 is far and away the worst receiver I've ever owned.

Sorry, but according to the other thread, this problem has occurred on at least 4 different brands of receivers. The Denon 3808 is a higher end receiver than the Onkyo 805. If you wanted a higher end receiver, then you should have got that to start with.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-19-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Davis View Post

Sorry, but according to the other thread, this problem has occurred on at least 4 different brands of receivers. The Denon 3808 is a higher end receiver than the Onkyo 805. If you wanted a higher end receiver, then you should have got that to start with.

I tought I'd read the various threads on this subject, and I only remember Onkyo and Yamaha recievers being mentioned. Did I miss something..? what other reciever brands are having problems?

(Btw I'll test my Denon 3808 with the Chronos disc later this evening. So far I haven't had any problems with any DTS-Hd MA discs. I'll report back later)
post #11 of 12 Old 03-20-2008, 07:01 PM

I can hear no popping, crackling or other anomelies. In short, there's no problems whatsoever bitstreaming DTS-HD MA from my Samsung BDP-1400 (Silicon image Vastlane 9134 Chip) to my Denon 3808 (also Silicon Image chip i believe?).

I don't know what HRA decoding chips the Onkyos and Yahamaha uses. The Panasonic BD30 uses it's own propriatery UniPher chip. I see that most of the people with problems are using Panasonic BD30... maybe the problem is with the player(s) and not the recievers or authoring ...?
post #12 of 12 Old 03-26-2008, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

as first 905 user in TW, got it on 8/8/2007, so my unit is very likely on that bad faulty dts chip list.....

I am still bit safe at this moment since the only BD player I have now is PS3 which doesn't handle dts HDMA. [BTW, heard Sony will release new FW to trigger PS3 to handle dts HDMA, is it true?] however, when get Panny BD50, then I may have to deal such problem.

905 original FW was v1.01. just upgraded to v1.08. is problem solved or I still need to worry when get Panny BD50?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page