Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 150 Old 03-17-2008, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Hey guys,

I had the chance to watch the Blu-ray of The Golden Compass this weekend. It will be reviewed in one of our future print issues.

The image quality is superb and easily one of the best BDs I've seen so far. Everything about it is solid. Contrast was exceptional and fine detail was dead on. New Line is putting out some great looking stuff.

The DTS-HD Master Audio track is 7.1 discrete and EXTREMELLY dynamic. There are some very intense infrasonics on this mix, enough that my projector started to shake to a level that I think I may need to figure out something new with my mount (even Transformers didn't have an issue with this). The sound design uses the surround soundstage quite nicely but at times the track is a bit front heavy.

Of note, I was fully decoding the DTS-HD Master Audio track with my Onkyo Pro PR885 via a Panasonic BD30. This is the first US DTS-HD MA mix that has had a loud pop during playback. I've experienced this with two imports so far and the result is down right scary. The pop is not subtle, but rather like a firework going off in your room. Every time it is repeatable and in the same spot, regardless of the movie. I am going to try this scene at a friend's this week and see if I have the same result. I think it may be in the MA extension packet because it doesn't do it with a PS3 or if you set the Panny to PCM. This is something that could EASILY blow a speaker (and cause a heart attack if your system was turned up loud enough, I kid you not). This is a check disc so New Line will be informed.

For those curious the other two releases with the same pop anomoly are the import of Hannibal Rising on HD DVD and 1408 on HD DVD. Both repeatable as well.

Contributing Editor/Writer
Sound And Vision Magazine

Click Here To See My Current Setup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 150 Old 03-17-2008, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

Of note, I was fully decoding the DTS-HD Master Audio track with my Onkyo Pro PR885 via a Panasonic BD30. This is the first US DTS-HD MA mix that has had a loud pop during playback. I've experienced this with two imports so far and the result is down right scary. The pop is not subtle, but rather like a firework going off in your room. Every time it is repeatable and in the same spot, regardless of the movie. I am going to try this scene at a friend's this week and see if I have the same result. I think it may be in the MA extension packet because it doesn't do it with a PS3 or if you set the Panny to PCM. This is something that could EASILY blow a speaker (and cause a heart attack if your system was turned up loud enough, I kid you not). This is a check disc so New Line will be informed.

For those curious the other two releases with the same pop anomoly are the import of Hannibal Rising on HD DVD and 1408 on HD DVD. Both repeatable as well.

Hmmm, the same issue has been reported by some who are bit-streaming DTS-HD MA from the US releases of The Fly, Fantastic Four and Chronos.
post #3 of 150 Old 03-17-2008, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1408 is New-Line film too isn't it?

Kris do Pan's or Shoot em Up have the pop as well?

It's not the player since the HD-DVDs do it too, if it is the extension I would think most MA tracks would act the same way. Surely QC would have found something like that. Wouldn't those discs have to be replaced then?

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
post #4 of 150 Old 03-17-2008, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Kris, I just noticed that you write for HT magazine. Now that the war is over will HT magazine get more into Blu-ray? The most recent issue was written when Warner went Blu exclusive, based on current events, can we expect to see more BD reviews and articles talking about BD?
post #5 of 150 Old 03-17-2008, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrage View Post

1408 is New-Line film too isn't it?

Kris do Pan's or Shoot em Up have the pop as well?

It's not the player since the HD-DVDs do it too, if it is the extension I would think most MA tracks would act the same way. Surely QC would have found something like that. Wouldn't those discs have to be replaced then?

I didn't have the same experience with the other New Line titles, and I've watched both. I didn't have MA processing when I watch F4 and I haven't watched The Fly yet.

It could just be a glitch with certain soundtracks. I've watch more than my share of movies with MA tracks and I've only experienced it 3 times now.

post #6 of 150 Old 03-17-2008, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
I have mixed feelings about this movie because I'm a huge fan of the novels and they're probably not making any of the sequels. That and the fact the PS3 can't decode DTS-MA makes me wonder if I want to really invest in it? I suppose I will have to pick it up just as a curiousity more than anything else.

I highly doubt we'll ever see "The Subtle Knife" movie.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #7 of 150 Old 03-17-2008, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin12586 View Post

Kris, I just noticed that you write for HT magazine. Now that the war is over will HT magazine get more into Blu-ray? The most recent issue was written when Warner went Blu exclusive, based on current events, can we expect to see more BD reviews and articles talking about BD?

The print magazine will be moving to HD reviews for software exclusively. I am updating the website almost bi-weekly now with HD reviews in the movie section. You can find new Blu-ray (and HD DVD) reviews there. I upload new ones every Monday morning and occasionally on Thursday mornings. www.hometheatermag.com

post #8 of 150 Old 03-17-2008, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

I have mixed feelings about this movie because I'm a huge fan of the novels and they're probably not making any of the sequels. That and the fact the PS3 can't decode DTS-MA makes me wonder if I want to really invest in it? I suppose I will have to pick it up just as a curiousity more than anything else.

I highly doubt we'll ever see "The Subtle Knife" movie.

According to IMDB the next installment is in pre-production with a scheduled 09 release. It didn't do well here in the states but it pulled in a respectable haul overseas.

The PS3 will get DTS-HD MA sometime this year, but I would bet even the DTS core track sounds incredible.

post #9 of 150 Old 03-17-2008, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I had my first "pop" bitstreaming The Fly with my BD 30 into my Onkyo 605. It was scary, like a firecracker as stated. Hopefully the studios are aware of this issue. Great to hear about Compass, I expected no less from New Line though. Shame we probably wont see a sequel to find out what happens since they chose to end the first one with a cliffhanger, not the way the book ended. It did ok over seas so maybe...
post #10 of 150 Old 03-17-2008, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didn't have the same experience with the other New Line titles, and I've watched both. I didn't have MA processing when I watch F4 and I haven't watched The Fly yet.

It could just be a glitch with certain soundtracks. I've watch more than my share of movies with MA tracks and I've only experienced it 3 times now.

This issue has only been reported by those who are bit-streaming these "problematic" tracks to Yamaha AVRs and Onkyo/Integra processors and AVRs.

I've seen people claim no such issue when bit-streaming The Fly's DTS-HD MA track from a BD30 to a Denon AVR. I believe the same applies to the new Pioneer AVRs.

This is what's known thus far, but further investigation is obviously required.
post #11 of 150 Old 03-17-2008, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

According to IMDB the next installment is in pre-production with a scheduled 09 release. It didn't do well here in the states but it pulled in a respectable haul overseas.

The PS3 will get DTS-HD MA sometime this year, but I would bet even the DTS core track sounds incredible.

I take issue with both your comments. IMDB says the sequel is "in production" only because the producer says she is fighting to keep the sequel going. I have my doubts anyone is going to pony-up.

As for DTS-MA, when I hear it, I'll believe it.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #12 of 150 Old 03-17-2008, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Guys... I just started a seperate thread as this is a huge issue and people need to know about it.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post13400675
post #13 of 150 Old 03-17-2008, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

Guys... I just started a seperate thread as this is a huge issue and people need to know about it.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post13400675

That's one way to handle things. There's something about the thread title's wording that made me laugh really loud.

By the way, don't forget to add Chronos to that list. A fellow posted the same issue with that title when bit-streaming to an Onkyo AVR.
post #14 of 150 Old 03-17-2008, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

That's one way to handle things. There's something about the thread title's wording that made me laugh really loud.

By the way, don't forget to add Chronos to that list. A fellow posted the same issue with that title when bit-streaming to an Onkyo AVR.

Thanks!
post #15 of 150 Old 03-18-2008, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I missed your reviews on hometheaterhifi.com of late and am thrilled to see your reviews still on the net.

Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #16 of 150 Old 03-18-2008, 02:45 PM

too bad the movie wasn't not good at all...
post #17 of 150 Old 03-18-2008, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalamchops View Post

too bad the movie wasn't not good at all...

So I take it it's totally awesome?!

My midis bring all the Force to the yard; my midis are better than yours!
post #18 of 150 Old 03-18-2008, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't have this movie but, The Simpsons, Shoot'em Up, my 2 Chinese Import with DTS HD Track and Pan Labrytihn never had this pop. I'am using a Denon 3808ci and a BD30k both with latest FW

89+ Blu-ray Disc ;)
post #19 of 150 Old 03-18-2008, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As I mentioned before this is the first US release I've had the issue with and actually the BD disc to have the problem. Others have reported the same thing with Fantastic Four, Chronos, and The Fly.

post #20 of 150 Old 03-19-2008, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Not enjoyed enough by me in the theater to buy this outright but I'll probably try to rent it to give it another go. Nice to know the PQ is excellent!
post #21 of 150 Old 03-19-2008, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Hey guys,

I had the chance to watch the Blu-ray of The Golden Compass this weekend. It will be reviewed in one of our future print issues.

The image quality is superb and easily one of the best BDs I've seen so far. Everything about it is solid. Contrast was exceptional and fine detail was dead on. New Line is putting out some great looking stuff.

Is it reasonable to expect that Warner's recent actions regarding New Line will have an effect (possibly adverse) on the quality of future New Line BD releases?
post #22 of 150 Old 03-19-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

This issue has only been reported by those who are bit-streaming these "problematic" tracks to Yamaha AVRs and Onkyo/Integra processors and AVRs.

I've seen people claim no such issue when bit-streaming The Fly's DTS-HD MA track from a BD30 to a Denon AVR. I believe the same applies to the new Pioneer AVRs.

AFAIK, and this is second-hand knowledge, so take it with a grain of salt, it's faulty DTS HD MA extension decoding in the receiver. That's why it's repeatable, but not happening on every receiver and never with the core stream. What in the audio stream causes it to be only at specific time codes on specific discs, I don't know.

Good luck getting those receivers fixed! Another reason we need player decoding for DTS HD MA, I guess.
post #23 of 150 Old 03-20-2008, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodguy View Post

AFAIK, and this is second-hand knowledge, so take it with a grain of salt, it's faulty DTS HD MA extension decoding in the receiver. That's why it's repeatable, but not happening on every receiver and never with the core stream. What in the audio stream causes it to be only at specific time codes on specific discs, I don't know.

Good luck getting those receivers fixed! Another reason we need player decoding for DTS HD MA, I guess.

I figured that it was the AVR or pre/pro's handling of the MA bit-stream. In shamus' thread, a poster tested the same copy of The Fly on various audio processors. He discovered that while the store's Marantz AVR had no issue, two Integra models did. As I figured, this is a problem with some Onkyo/Intergra and Yamaha models. I would avoid those models like the plague if I were looking to buy a new HDMI 1.3 AVR or pre/pro.
post #24 of 150 Old 03-20-2008, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Is it reasonable to expect that Warner's recent actions regarding New Line will have an effect (possibly adverse) on the quality of future New Line BD releases?

In terms of HD, most WHV titles are done by GDMX. All New Line titles have been done by One K.
post #25 of 150 Old 03-20-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspears View Post

In terms of HD, most WHV titles are done by GDMX. All New Line titles have been done by One K.

So, in your personal opinion, would it have an adverse effect on quality were New Line's titles done by GDMX in the future?
post #26 of 150 Old 03-20-2008, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick99 View Post

Weren't Warner's recent actions regarding New Line because of the Golden Compass?
post #27 of 150 Old 03-21-2008, 03:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdog View Post

Weren't Warner's recent actions regarding New Line because of the Golden Compass?

Rather than the fact that NL was sued by not only Peter Jackson but also the Tolkien estate for not making contractually required payments on LOTR?
post #28 of 150 Old 04-10-2008, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Kris,

Any updates on the audio pop issue and DNR ?

Blu-ray : 340
post #29 of 150 Old 04-10-2008, 10:37 PM

Too bad The Golden Compass was a horrible movie, and a "me too" wanna-be Harry Potter money grab.

The books might indeed be better, but the movie was insulting, just like Narnia.
post #30 of 150 Old 04-10-2008, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

You should totally try the Bad disc in the PS3 when it gets it's MA decoding.
A surprisingly reliable piece of tech(knocking on wood).

HT Magazine should totally do a write comparing the on-board PS3 decoding to high-end receiver decoding. Comparing the ups and downs with actual data. I would read that.

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page