Band of Brothers - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 604 Old 11-12-2008, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Major War history buff, and I really enjoyed these on HBO, and then on DVD. I started watching the DVDs again yesterday and went out and bought the Blu-Ray version and man does it look and sound good so far.... Doesn't matter what TV of FP I put these flicks on they look and sound great, besides being well acted and very well directed I might ad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 604 Old 11-12-2008, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I guess I got to see Band of Brothers at its best because when I watched the first two episodes last night it was the first time I had ever seen it. I thought it was very appropriate to see on Veteran's Day too. I really liked it. Great program.
post #363 of 604 Old 11-12-2008, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfamous View Post

Haven't checked the disc yet, but it has "We stand alone together:" 80 minutes, featuring the men of Easy company; a 30 minute "Making of" documentary; and the premier in Normandy.

Exclusive for BD: the Live features: PiP commentary "In the Words of Easy Company;" and Interactive field guide.

the field guide sounds like the feature they had on the SD set, just implemented in BD Live. ...and it could be that the commentary "In the words of Easy company" is the feature you're looking for, now implemented live. It could also be the other 80 minute documentary. the PiP feature has the real Easy Company member speaking next to scenes of their BoB characters.

Thanks, but the "We Stand Alone Together" documentary and the "Who's Who" feature are both, perplexingly, subtitled "The Men of Easy Company", but the one is definitely not the other. The other possibilities you mentioned seem unlikely. Can anyone else confirm the presence of "Who's Who" and the photo gallery on the Blu-ray set?
post #364 of 604 Old 11-12-2008, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker View Post

Since I won't be able to check for myself for a few days, can anyone please confirm if the feature "Who's Who: The Men of Easy Company" (a feature that clarified how to identify each of the major characters) and/or the photo gallery have been migrated from the SD-DVD over to this Blu-ray (I don't care if the Jeep commercial fell through the cracks)?

Okay, I tried to look into this for you. I looked up the special features of the DVD set and this is what I found that sounds like what you're looking for:

Quote:

Other:Interactive "Field Guide": An extensive reference feature that details the people, places and events associated with Easy Company's campaigns through Europe, and World War II as a whole, including sections such as: soldiers, timelines, maps, chain-of-command and glossary of terms.

On the blu-ray, that Field Guide is an interactive overlay that pops up while you watch the episodes and I don't think you can access it on it's own as a special feature. The pictures are there in the field guide. One problem I'm having with this so far is that you apparently lose the subtitles when using the field guide. I like subtitles

I haven't watched any of the other special features to know if that Who's Who thing has been incorporated into them or not.

Brandon
post #365 of 604 Old 11-12-2008, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

Okay, I tried to look into this for you. I looked up the special features of the DVD set and this is what I found that sounds like what you're looking for:

On the blu-ray, that Field Guide is an interactive overlay that pops up while you watch the episodes and I don't think you can access it on it's own as a special feature. The pictures are there in the field guide. One problem I'm having with this so far is that you apparently lose the subtitles when using the field guide. I like subtitles

I haven't watched any of the other special features to know if that Who's Who thing has been incorporated into them or not.

Brandon

Sorry, thanks for the help but the interactive field guide is not what I'm referring to; that is a totally separate feature on the SD-DVD and (now in an enhanced form) on the B from the "Who's Who". Additionally, the "We Stand Alone Together" documentary is not the same as the "Who's Who" either, despite both features, perplexingly, bearing the subtitle "The Men of Easy Company". My kingdom for a thorough online review of this set...
post #366 of 604 Old 11-12-2008, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, thanks for the help but the interactive field guide is not what I'm referring to; that is a totally separate feature on the SD-DVD and (now in an enhanced form) on the B from the "Who's Who". Additionally, the "We Stand Alone Together" documentary is not the same as the "Who's Who" either, despite both features, perplexingly, bearing the subtitle "The Men of Easy Company". My kingdom for a thorough online review of this set...

Disc Six includes:

"We Stand Alone Together: The Men of Easy Company" (1hr20min), Written by William Richter, Directed by Mark Cowen

Ron Livingston's Video Diaries

The Making of Band of Brothers (30min featurette)

The Premiere in Normandy

BD Exclusive Features:
PIP by the veterans titled "In The Words of Easy Company"
Interactive field guide titled "In the Field with the Men of Easy Company"

No mention on the box of the "Who's Who", although, and indicated, it may be repurposed in the PIP.

post #367 of 604 Old 11-13-2008, 03:45 AM

Quote:

I mentioned this earlier in response to your post, but the closest I can imagine is that the conversations you're referring to are now the other "EXCLUSIVE" BD feature, in which the men of easy company chat along with their characters during the episodes. Just as the field guide is the same old material, only made live. "We stand alone together" is a separate documentary;

"In The Words of Easy Company" is the 2nd BD feature. I would guess that they broke up the "Who's Who" that you are looking for, and made this the 2nd BD ..."exclusive" feature, calling it "In the Words..."
post #368 of 604 Old 11-13-2008, 05:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfamous View Post

I mentioned this earlier in response to your post, but the closest I can imagine is that the conversations you're referring to are now the other "EXCLUSIVE" BD feature, in which the men of easy company chat along with their characters during the episodes. Just as the field guide is the same old material, only made live. "We stand alone together" is a separate documentary;

"In The Words of Easy Company" is the 2nd BD feature. I would guess that they broke up the "Who's Who" that you are looking for, and made this the 2nd BD ..."exclusive" feature, calling it "In the Words..."

Yes, my knee-jerk reaction was to dismiss this and gripe "but it's not the same" (as the "Who's Who" feature didn't contrast with the characters' real-life counterparts), but now that I afford it a moment's consideration, it sounds like "In the Words of..." would, at least, accomplish the same goal as "Who's Who" (help the viewer keep character names and faces straight). Which makes the photo gallery the only major outstanding piece missing from the BD, I guess? Sigh... Now I have to have the war of conscience with myself: is the photo gallery worth the coin I could get for selling off the SD-DVD set? Probably not...but it'll always nag at me that I don't have all of the extra features I could have...
post #369 of 604 Old 11-13-2008, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Activated the interactive field menu through special features on main menu and watched some of part one of the series again. It was OK and I don't know how much I'll use it in the future but it's nice to have it in case. It is a very very small part of the screen at the bottom and one probably can just activate and not use it at all and still not be distracted.

BD release of the year so far? Probably for me!
post #370 of 604 Old 11-13-2008, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Wow. I have to say I am really excited for this release and am very pumped for the interactive features. As a history buff and a former soldier and veteran from the 101st Airbourne Division, this boxset has been on my must have list for sometime. I held off on buying the HD DVD imports and the DVD's and am really happy about the pricing on the BD's. Can't wait
post #371 of 604 Old 11-13-2008, 08:38 AM

Has anyone read a detailed review of the audio and video yet? I've been scouring my usual sites, but haven't found anything yet. I still haven't gotten a chance to watch mine yet!
post #372 of 604 Old 11-13-2008, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshouse View Post

Has anyone read a detailed review of the audio and video yet? I've been scouring my usual sites, but haven't found anything yet. I still haven't gotten a chance to watch mine yet!

I watched the first 2 episodes last night. Audio wise it's very very good assuming a good sound system to play it on. Video wise it's 8 out of 10. Lots of the daytime shots are very nice and still include grain here and there. THe night time shots as would be expected has a LOT of grain.

Personally this was a great series, so it was a no brainer to pick up.
post #373 of 604 Old 11-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

I can't wait to watch this on BR. I picked mine up from my local BB (Santana Row) & they'd accidentally placed half of their BR copies on the S-DVD rack at the $44.99 price, so they offered it to me at that price without me even asking.

Blu Ray: 200
HD DVD: 35
post #374 of 604 Old 11-13-2008, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrage View Post

Does anyone know what codec was used for the HD-DVD version? If its AVC that might explain the difference(because they are just a hair different).

HD DVD box says AVC.

Webdev511
San Jose, CA
TrueHD = DTS-MA = LPCM
Low Bit Rate AVC > Low Bit Rate VC-1
High Bit Rate VC-1 > High Bit Rate AVC
MPEG-2 = Great for DVD and that's about it.
post #375 of 604 Old 11-13-2008, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I dont think codecs have that much impact.

But I read here that DNR has been used on one of them.
post #376 of 604 Old 11-13-2008, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Watched 6 epidoes so far and I love this set. Very happy camper here A/V wise..
post #377 of 604 Old 11-13-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:

Yes, my knee-jerk reaction was to dismiss this and gripe "but it's not the same" (as the "Who's Who" feature didn't contrast with the characters' real-life counterparts), but now that I afford it a moment's consideration, it sounds like "In the Words of..." would, at least, accomplish the same goal as "Who's Who" (help the viewer keep character names and faces straight). Which makes the photo gallery the only major outstanding piece missing from the BD, I guess? Sigh... Now I have to have the war of conscience with myself: is the photo gallery worth the coin I could get for selling off the SD-DVD set? Probably not...but it'll always nag at me that I don't have all of the extra features I could have...

Ha. somehow, I missed your earlier response to my post. weird..

anyhoo, I would suggest hanging onto the SD for a bit until you can compare yourself. I do know that the PiP feature of the real easy company men also includes their names as they speak. I don't remember the formatting from the SD, but you can compare from the back of the BD tin if the pics match.
post #378 of 604 Old 11-13-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

I dont think codecs have that much impact.

But I read here that DNR has been used on one of them.

Episode 7 seems to be very soft throughout, though it is also very grainy. Again, I think it's lighting in certain scenes. Walberg's character is featured. many shots of his face are very soft, with some examples of serious detail.
post #379 of 604 Old 11-13-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decado2 View Post

WTF. I went to pre-order this on Amazon.com and they're adding an import fee (naturally I canceled). I've never seen that before. I thought all Amazon.com shipments to Canada went through their Ontario warehouse?

Decado2, try ordering it again. I just tried it and there's no import fees deposit for standard shipping, although there was one just a few days ago. Hopefully, this isn't just a temporary loophole.
post #380 of 604 Old 11-13-2008, 09:37 PM

Throw me in the very satisifed camp on this one. PQ is excellent (8 or 8.5 out of 10). Looks noticably better than the DVDs (which didn't upscale well imho). Definitely worth it and the price really isn't bad (I picked it up for $50). Would certainly recommend picking it up with out hesitation even as a double dip if you will watch the series a few times.

Latest Blu(s): Wall-E, The Dark Knight

Latest HD(s): Beerfest
post #381 of 604 Old 11-13-2008, 09:37 PM
post #382 of 604 Old 11-14-2008, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

That mirrors what I've seen so far.

I've only watched the first episode, and since I never watched the HD DVD versions my only reference is the DVD versions I watched earlier this year or last year. The noise floor is still apparent in most scenes, as you can see in those caps. But there are a few that appear to be cleaned up, especially brightly lit daytime outdoor scenes. So far there doesn't appear to be any actual grain-scrubbing, though I haven't watched much.

Brandon
post #383 of 604 Old 11-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I've compared both versions (chapter 3) and the HD DVD clearly has more high frequency detail (most notable in the facial closeups). So they indeed have scrubbed some of the grain that the HD DVD still has. I bought the BD because of the extras and for the Spanish subs and the price was right.
post #384 of 604 Old 11-14-2008, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post

I've compared both versions (chapter 3) and the HD DVD clearly has more high frequency detail (most notable in the facial closeups). So they indeed have scrubbed some of the grain that the HD DVD still has. I bought the BD because of the extras and for the Spanish subs and the price was right.

Grain-scrubbing--as I meant it--means they remove a significant portion or all of it.

Brandon
post #385 of 604 Old 11-14-2008, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post

I agree that the HD-DVD's, to me, have slightly more detail, but for the money the Blu Ray version is a bargain. For the audio, I found both sounded the same, pretty awesome.
post #386 of 604 Old 11-14-2008, 09:26 PM

Can somebody tell me if there is a french language track on those Blu-ray, thanks so much
post #387 of 604 Old 11-14-2008, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes there's a french track on it but it's 2.0
post #388 of 604 Old 11-14-2008, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

yes french and spanish stereo tracks are present
post #389 of 604 Old 11-15-2008, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Xylon has started posting comparison pics comparing the DVD, HBO MPEG-2, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1085043
post #390 of 604 Old 11-15-2008, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't have any other version but BD but I'm curious so I'll take a peek but most would figure it slaughters SD DVDs. For the price, this is the BD release of the year IMHO!
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page