Blu-ray Imports (General discussion, announcements and retailers) - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1368 Old 10-30-2008, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Terminator-2...5322786&sr=8-1
The best deal is to pick two other Blu-rays also since Terminator 2 is part of the Buy 2 get 1 free BD sale going on there.

It lists the format as PAL. Will that play on US BD players?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1368 Old 10-30-2008, 09:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

I just received an e-mail from amazon.co.uk saying that my order for Education Rita has been cancelled. Apparently the release has been postponed indefinitely.

My Netflix Profile:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Project (newly updated):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #543 of 1368 Old 10-30-2008, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_David View Post

It lists the format as PAL. Will that play on US BD players?

PAL has no bearing on Blu Rays. However IF there are any SD extras on the discs those extras COULD be PAL and only the extras would be unplayable on US BD players.

Dan Sholtis

post #544 of 1368 Old 10-30-2008, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSholtis View Post

PAL has no bearing on Blu Rays. However IF there are any SD extras on the discs those extras COULD be PAL and only the extras would be unplayable on US BD players.

Great. I don't care about extras.
post #545 of 1368 Old 10-30-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSholtis View Post

Has that actually been found to be true that PAL or NTSC are co-resident on BD disc? On HD DVD, all extras, regardless of resolution, are in HD DVD format, not PAL or NTSC. The only exceptions are where the extras are on a second disc from the main feature (or the reverse side of a combo disc).

I'd be surprised that the BDA would box themselves into such a trap. It seems like a technical nightmare.
post #546 of 1368 Old 10-31-2008, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Yes. American PS3s (and I assume all unmodified Region A players) will refuse to play any PAL content, whether it be on Region 0 DVDs, Blu-ray extras, or even the main Blu-ray content itself (1080i50 encodes). There isn't even a warning message saying why it refuses to play the BD content. It just appears to be loading and then cycles back to whatever menu was already showing...
post #547 of 1368 Old 11-01-2008, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointless2 View Post

I'd be surprised that the BDA would box themselves into such a trap. It seems like a technical nightmare.

I don't really see it that way as those PAL extras were intended for PAL regions.not for the importers so much.

but, I hoping much like DVD their will be a blu-ray player able to play those extras and convert them to NTSC. I've got a phillips player that plays PAL DVDs with no modified. it will play different regions with a simple code... I got it at the wal*mart.

so hopfully phillps or some one else will make a BD player that can do this out of the BOX. the LG combo player has such a code for other regions. not sure if it will play PAL discs. I intend on getting this player as theirs a few region locked discs I want.. plus my HD-DVD player has been acting up a bit.. but I'm going to get an A2 or A35 to replace that. then save the A1 as they are still putting out firmware which may correct some of the issues.

anyway, back on topic. I've got several blu-ray imports that have PAL extras. like said it trys to load the extra but simply reverts back to the main menu. what scares me more I the 1080i/50 issue some have come across. which is very diffrent as that may take more to over come
post #548 of 1368 Old 11-01-2008, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerx View Post

so hopfully phillps or some one else will make a BD player that can do this out of the BOX. the LG combo player has such a code for other regions. not sure if it will play PAL discs.

The LG BH200 will play PAL discs, but it outputs them as PAL. It will not convert to NTSC. Likewise, PAL extras on Blu-ray discs are output at 50 Hz.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #549 of 1368 Old 11-01-2008, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

You just have to make sure your TV accepts PAL/50Hz or 60Hz signals. Mine accepts 60Hz and I'm fine with PAL after applying the BH 200 hack.

Dan Sholtis

post #550 of 1368 Old 11-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Rolling Stones "Biggest Bang" is back up on Amazon France. 11/24 release date.

Dan Sholtis

post #551 of 1368 Old 11-04-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointless2 View Post

Has that actually been found to be true that PAL or NTSC are co-resident on BD disc? On HD DVD, all extras, regardless of resolution, are in HD DVD format, not PAL or NTSC. The only exceptions are where the extras are on a second disc from the main feature (or the reverse side of a combo disc).

I think you're confusing yourself here. Both HD DVD and Blu-Ray are the same in that the main movie is encoded at the world wide 1080p HD standard (barring a few very rare 1080i or 720p releases). The non-HD special features are encoded in either PAL or NTSC depending on the region it is intended to be sold in, but you will never find a disc that has both PAL AND NTSC video. There's nothing that can be done about the fact that some countries use PAL SD video and some use NTSC SD video, both HD DVD and Blu-Ray have to deal with the same situation. However, the main feature on either HD format is in a format that would be playable anywhere in the world, provided it's not region-locked.
post #552 of 1368 Old 11-04-2008, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

The LG BH200 will play PAL discs, but it outputs them as PAL. It will not convert to NTSC. Likewise, PAL extras on Blu-ray discs are output at 50 Hz.

really? I wasn't aware it also played the pal extras on a blu-ray disc I knew their was a PAL hack for SD and a Blu-ray Region hack.

so I'm really considering this player now. although I may wait for a better player down the road as I'm sure their will be one. but this could be a good A1 replacement
post #553 of 1368 Old 11-04-2008, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

really? I wasn't aware it also played the pal extras on a blu-ray disc I knew their was a PAL hack for SD and a Blu-ray Region hack.

so I'm really considering this player now. although I may wait for a better player down the road as I'm sure their will be one. but this could be a good A1 replacement

Just to be sure it's clear, if they are output as PAL, your display has to actually support PAL for you to be able to view them. I don't think PAL support in televisions is that common in the US, but I have heard that dual NTSC/PAL support is more common in Europe and other places. If you have a projector, it may display them though.
post #554 of 1368 Old 11-04-2008, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

yep, I'm aware of it outputing in PAL....
post #555 of 1368 Old 11-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The PAL hack for SD would work for the Blu Rays as well. The extras would be in PAL SD. But it depends on your TV, if your TV accepts 50 or 60hz signals you'll be fine.

Dan Sholtis

post #556 of 1368 Old 11-05-2008, 02:56 AM
ng3

Any news on French REC, region lock? English sub?
post #557 of 1368 Old 11-05-2008, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng3 View Post

Any news on French REC, region lock? English sub?

Region B locked, no English subs, forced French subs with original Spanish audio, and it's a 1080i / 25fps disc so the movie doesn't play in most region A hw even if the region code is somehow bypassed.

I got it and watched it on my computer setup with English subs I added to it on the PC.

See my post here also:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post14962447

HD DVD: 387 (new: Taking Lives ;
)
Blu-ray: 262 (new: North Face (UK) ;
)
HD DVD-R: 262 (new: Charlie Wilson's War ;
)
post #558 of 1368 Old 11-06-2008, 08:00 AM
ng3

Thanks. How abt German version (release on 20 Nov 08) or Japan version?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannisto View Post

Region B locked, no English subs, forced French subs with original Spanish audio, and it's a 1080i / 25fps disc so the movie doesn't play in most region A hw even if the region code is somehow bypassed.

I got it and watched it on my computer setup with English subs I added to it on the PC.

See my post here also:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post14962447

post #559 of 1368 Old 11-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng3 View Post

Thanks. How abt German version (release on 20 Nov 08) or Japan version?

Neither Japanese nor the German version seem to be coming with English subs. I don't know if German version would be different from the other European versions that are all 1080i/25fps. I'm getting the Japanese version when it comes out on 26th of November as it can't be 25 fps being released in region A area.

German version:
http://www.cinefacts.de/blu_ray/db/details.php?id=45477

)
)
)
post #560 of 1368 Old 11-08-2008, 02:02 PM

Gritty Korean Military Horror The Guard Post aka GP 506 is getting a UK Blu-ray release from Showbox on December 29, 2008.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001KJ8MXW/

::
::
post #561 of 1368 Old 11-09-2008, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Johnny Mnemonic is coming to Japan on 12/19. CDJapan says it will be the longer Japanese version.

Links: Amazon.co.jp, CDJapan
post #562 of 1368 Old 11-09-2008, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 19
http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/20081110/whv.htm

Warner Japan to release The Fall featuring lo(u)ssy audio on BD-25.

Blu-ray : 340
post #563 of 1368 Old 11-10-2008, 06:42 AM

Does anybody knows if the Universal titles that have just arrived at Australia (Miami Vice, 40yo Virgin, etc) are region coded? No news on liesinc yet...
post #564 of 1368 Old 11-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason One View Post

Johnny Mnemonic is coming to Japan on 12/19. CDJapan says it will be the longer Japanese version.

Not if the running time is 96min, as indicated on CDJapan's site. The Japanese version is 106min.
post #565 of 1368 Old 11-10-2008, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason One View Post

It's only expected to include the longer version as an SD extra on the disc but the main presentation will be the international cut, not the Japanese one.

)
)
)
post #566 of 1368 Old 11-11-2008, 04:18 PM

Hi guys!

Just got Fistful of Dollars BRD from Italy. Screenshots can be found here (mouse over the labels to switch between the 3 versions), the specs follow:

Code:
                                                                                                                Total   Video                                             
Title                                                           Codec   Length  Movie Size      Disc Size       Bitrate Bitrate Main Audio Track                          Secondary Audio Track
-----                                                           ------  ------- --------------  --------------  ------- ------- ------------------                        ---------------------
PER UN PUGNO DI DOLLARI                                         AVC     1:39:54 25 237 530 624  47 599 551 822  33,68   27,00   LPCM 5.1 4608Kbps (48kHz/16-bit)          DD AC3 1.0 192Kbps

DISC INFO:

Disc Size:      47 599 551 822 bytes
Protection:     AACS
BD-Java:        No

PLAYLIST REPORT:

Name:           00000.mpls
Size:           25 237 530 624 bytes
Length:         1:39:54 (h:m:s)
Total Bitrate:  33,68 Mbps
Description:    

FILES:

Name            Size            Length          Time In         Time Out        
----            ----            ------          -------         --------        
00000.M2TS      25 237 530 624  1:39:54.333     0:00:00.000     1:39:54.333     

VIDEO:

Codec               Bitrate         Description     
-----               -------         -----------     
MPEG-4 AVC Video    27000 kbps      1080p / 24fps / 16:9 / High Profile 4.1

AUDIO:

Codec                           Language        Bitrate         Description     
-----                           --------        -------         -----------     
LPCM Audio                      Italian         4608 kbps       5.1 / 48kHz / 16-bit / 4608kbps
Dolby Digital Audio             English         192 kbps        1.0 / 48kHz / 192kbps
Dolby Digital Audio             Italian         192 kbps        1.0 / 48kHz / 192kbps

SUBTITLES:

Codec                           Language        Bitrate         Description     
-----                           --------        -------         -----------     
Presentation Graphics           English         17,731 kbps                     
Presentation Graphics           Italian         18,134 kbps

According to the cover, the disc is regions ABC...

Cheers!
Peto
post #567 of 1368 Old 11-15-2008, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
5 WB titles in Feb in Germany

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
A History of Violence
Amadeus
A Time To Kill
Pelican Brief

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #568 of 1368 Old 11-15-2008, 05:46 AM

great titles

HD DVD 300+
BD 500+
post #569 of 1368 Old 11-15-2008, 06:24 AM

Russian movie Admiral aka Kolchak has been released here recently:
ABC coded, DTS HD MA 7.1 (got some really nice battle scenes), English subs, BD-25

Grossed near 40 millions of dollars.

more info about movie
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt1101026/

Primary: Sony BRAVIA KDL-46NX720 / Pioneer VSX-LX53 / Marantz NA7004 / Quadral Platinum M4 / Fat PS3

Secondary: Pioneer KURO PDP-LX608D / Pioneer VSX-LX70 / Pioneer BDP-LX55 / KEF KHT-3005 / Thomson DSI-4000NTV

post #570 of 1368 Old 11-15-2008, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Shawshank in Germany

1/15/09

DTS-HD

- exklusives Making of
- The Charlie Rose Show (OV, dt. UT)
- Booklet
- Audiokommentar
- Bildergalerien

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page