AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 24
http://avplay.avforums.com/index.php...diareview=9274

Picture - 7/10

Quote:

Erin Brockovich arrives in the UK on Blu ray after being HD DVD only stateside. It is presented in its theatrically correct ratio in a 1080P transfer.

The film is not one that is ever going to truly impress on HD. The film is eight years old, and features some very conservative outdoor and indoor shots. There are very few night scenes to truly test the transfer quality, but what is here is rendered very well.

Soderburgh is renowned for his rather stylistic approach, and although he reigns himself in rather on this film, he still presents a very interesting palette to the viewer. The outdoor scenes, for example, are shot through with a really interesting orange tint and this is rendered really well by the transfer. The unusual filter used may well mean that the image lacks the 3D “Pop” we are used to expecting but the level of detail in the image is certainly great.

In addition to this, despite the age of the film, the stock the film is mastered from is perfect. There are no blemishes or artefacts to be seen and the image is clean and pristine. Grain does occasionally appear but this seems to be very inconsistent. In some scenes it is quite prevalent but in others it is nonexistent. I suspect this is down to the way Soderburgh shoots the film, rather than any problem with the transfer.

Sound : 3/10

Quote:

Erin Brockovich is presented with a Dolby TrueHD sound mix, but it is a very disappointing track indeed. Admittedly the film is very dialogue driven, but surely that doesn’t mean that the rears should be ignored completely? Atmosphere could be added with ambient effects surely?

Sadly not. Everything is front orientated, from the dialogue, to the music – everything is in the front of the sound field. Admittedly the dialogue is always clear and concise, but there is actually very little frontal separation here. Indeed I would go so far as to say this is the worst TrueHD soundtrack I have heard so far. Luckily, this doesn’t affect the film too much – but it is disappointing.

I may buy the Japanese version that's getting released next week. Will try to post my impressions.

Blu-ray : 340
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-23-2008, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks lgans316,

I'm always eager to hear from exclusive releases overseas, specially japanese ones.

BTW, I just watched the Transporter 1 and 2 japanese versions back to back and I'm delighted.

I'll catch up with you on PM later.
post #3 of 16 Old 04-28-2008, 02:14 PM

http://hd-photo.blogspot.com/2008/04...brokovich.html

Primary: Sony BRAVIA KDL-46NX720 / Pioneer VSX-LX53 / Marantz NA7004 / Quadral Platinum M4 / Fat PS3

Secondary: Pioneer KURO PDP-LX608D / Pioneer VSX-LX70 / Pioneer BDP-LX55 / KEF KHT-3005 / Thomson DSI-4000NTV

post #4 of 16 Old 04-28-2008, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks mark for posting the cover arts.

post #5 of 16 Old 04-28-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:

Erin Brockovich is presented with a Dolby TrueHD sound mix, but it is a very disappointing track indeed. Admittedly the film is very dialogue driven, but surely that doesn't mean that the rears should be ignored completely? Atmosphere could be added with ambient effects surely?

Sadly not. Everything is front orientated, from the dialogue, to the music - everything is in the front of the sound field. Admittedly the dialogue is always clear and concise, but there is actually very little frontal separation here. Indeed I would go so far as to say this is the worst TrueHD soundtrack I have heard so far. Luckily, this doesn't affect the film too much - but it is disappointing.
Sound : 3/10

This I one reason that I always take some DVD reviews with a grain of salt.

After reading this, I was expecting to hear a mess of a sound mix, but was more surprised by the person who reviewed this disc.

Dialog sounds great and well mixed within the track. effects are appropriate, and the music score sound GREAT. it fits into this film and spreads well across the front channels. even though there's not much for surrounds.

So, they gave it a 3/10?
seriously?
post #6 of 16 Old 04-29-2008, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSoundGuy View Post

So, they gave it a 3/10?
seriously?

At least the reviewer didn't say that he was "disappointed in the lack of 20-30Hz content to go with Julia Roberts' voice." If he did, then you really know he has a problem.
post #7 of 16 Old 06-29-2008, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd...rockovich.html

PQ: 8/10
SQ: 8/10

Erin Brockovich (Import) Video: AVC | Audio: Dolby True HD 16-bit | AR: 1.85:1 | Sony

My review

Sony have delivered an extremely good looking catalog title. The director Steven Soderbergh is accustomed to using plenty of color filters, elevating contrast, adding intentional grain and I am glad to say that this one is no exception. A slight layer of unobtrusive Soderbergh grain is visible throughout the presentation. There was no hint of bit rate starvation as they hovered between 20~35 Mbps sticking around the high twenties most of the time. Black levels were quite impressive though they weren't inky. Close-ups shots looked detailed with skin tones looking a bit warm at times. The color palette looked quite oversaturated and hot strictly complying to the unique cinematographic intentions of the director. Overall the transfer definitely looked sharp and detailed than the SD DVD with a handful of scenes looking soft, flat and out of focus. Also I couldn't notice any distracting EE or halos. Sony have cleared taken away the credits from Universal on this one. Well done Sony.

post #8 of 16 Old 06-29-2008, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

Sony have cleared taken away the credits from Universal on this one. Well done Sony.

Huh?

XA1 + PS3 = HD bliss
post #9 of 16 Old 06-29-2008, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty James View Post

Huh?

May I know the point you are trying to convey ?

post #10 of 16 Old 05-30-2012, 04:48 AM

Liked: 12
Review of the US Blu-ray is up >>>
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Erin-B.../40921/#Review

Those screenshots look pretty awful.
post #11 of 16 Old 05-30-2012, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

May I know the point you are trying to convey ?

presumably that Brockovich is a Universal release?
post #12 of 16 Old 05-30-2012, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmoreXXX View Post

presumably that Brockovich is a Universal release?

Universal in the U.S, Sony in the U.K.
post #13 of 16 Old 05-31-2012, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Did this just come out NOW, or did I go back in time to 2006? Why was this and other movies only available in 480p until now? Sorry, studios, but it makes no sense for me to shell out money for a 1080p release now, when 1080p is already an old and outdated resolution. Sorry.
post #14 of 16 Old 05-31-2012, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebEffect View Post

Did this just come out NOW, or did I go back in time to 2006? Why was this and other movies only available in 480p until now? Sorry, studios, but it makes no sense for me to shell out money for a 1080p release now, when 1080p is already an old and outdated resolution. Sorry.

Are you high?

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #15 of 16 Old 06-01-2012, 12:54 PM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebEffect View Post

Outdated? Can I borrow your 4k TV?
post #16 of 16 Old 06-01-2012, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Ah, so that's why I have WebEffect oh ignore.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page