'Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World' Information and Review Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 237 Old 05-02-2008, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This title is finally starting to appear in reviewers hands and I'm very interested in seeing what they have been able to do with this release.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 237 Old 05-02-2008, 11:48 AM

Given the title and content of the other M&C thread, I think it's a good idea to have this new thread that doesn't discuss the delays.

There are some early reviews in the other thread that perhaps the mods can move over to this thread.
post #3 of 237 Old 05-02-2008, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I recall my DTheater version looking & sounding first-rate, so I'm expecting as good for the BD.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #4 of 237 Old 05-02-2008, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
This title was why I picked BluRay over a year ago !!!
post #5 of 237 Old 05-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
when is it coming out again?
post #6 of 237 Old 05-02-2008, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llep64 View Post

when is it coming out again?

May 13, 2008
post #7 of 237 Old 05-02-2008, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDarrylR View Post

May 13, 2008

With all the delays this title has seen, it better have that "Demo Material" PQ/AQ that everyone is hoping for.

Patience has its rewards.
post #8 of 237 Old 05-02-2008, 06:51 PM

Bought my copy from www.play-asia.com and it should be here on Monday.
post #9 of 237 Old 05-03-2008, 02:26 AM
Advanced Member

Prepare for disappointment. Watched it last night. The PQ is very poor (for a blu ray): soft, artifacty, dull and lifeless. Yes, I'm sure it's better than an upscaled DVD but it's likely to end up a low tier 3 or even a tier 4. About the same as Goodfellas (?) IMO. (PS3, PT-AE1000, 5' from a 6' screen)
post #10 of 237 Old 05-03-2008, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgkp View Post

Prepare for disappointment. Watched it last night. The PQ is very poor (for a blu ray): soft, artifacty, dull and lifeless. Yes, I'm sure it's better than an upscaled DVD but it's likely to end up a low tier 3 or even a tier 4. About the same as Goodfellas (?) IMO. (PS3, PT-AE1000, 5' from a 6' screen)

Hmmm . . . . .

probably the same pice of s*** PQ as the inital EU BD version?

Am I frakked?
post #11 of 237 Old 05-03-2008, 07:25 AM
nyg
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post

Hmmm . . . . .

probably the same pice of s*** PQ as the inital EU BD version?

Am I frakked?

Funny that you post a link to where you state "You will thank FOX later." How much later did you mean?
post #12 of 237 Old 05-03-2008, 07:41 AM

Hi
Just a quick update(found on the M&C Thread) on my previous thoughts of the Blu-Ray Master & Commander.I viewed the disc for the second time last night,and the observations about the colour/softness are almost certainly down to the original photography - and that the Blu-Ray is faithful to the DOP's original intentions. The fog/grain section at the start of the movie is an artistic one and would have looked like this during the theatrical presentation.It must be said, that this is a very dark movie and needs to be seen in total blackout conditions.Having compared the dvd,the level of detail in the blacks on this Blu-Ray is much higher.This version looks like the same master as used for the D-theatre release.Yes the picture is rather flat,colour's are muted but this was a feel that the director wanted.Its worth mentioning that Russell Boyd won an Oscar for "Best Cinematography" and Richard King won an Oscar for "Best Sound Editing".Don't expect to see any HD visual demo material on this disc,but its worth upgrading from the dvd(keep for the extra's)
Regarding the audio elements,my amp indicates 5.1.( hdmi-pcm) although information does appear in the centre back,meaning DTS ES 5.1 is present? The only problem I had with the sound,was that I had the level set to hear the centre channel clearly, until the first battle..Wow.
The UK disc is slightly different to the US disc in that it has DTS HD MA 5.1. and Spanish 5.1.DTS,but not the french 5.1 or the D-box. It also lists incorrectly the movie as 132mins (the pal dvd running time)instead of 138mins.Both are BD50 avc dual layer.

Equipment: Sony vpl vw50 ,Sony str3200es, Sony PS3,Sony Blu-Ray BDP-S1, Pioneer Plasma 427,Quad & Linn speakers all via Hdmi
post #13 of 237 Old 05-03-2008, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 25
So is this worth the wait ? I don't think so.

Blu-ray : 340
post #14 of 237 Old 05-03-2008, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davide View Post

Hi
Just a quick update(found on the M&C Thread) on my previous thoughts of the Blu-Ray Master & Commander.I viewed the disc for the second time last night,and the observations about the colour/softness are almost certainly down to the original photography - and that the Blu-Ray is faithful to the DOP's original intentions. The fog/grain section at the start of the movie is an artistic one and would have looked like this during the theatrical presentation.

I completely agree with your observations. Following is the brief review I posted in the other M&C thread:

--------------------------------------------------
"Only had the chance to watch about 20 minutes of the movie.

Viewed on 60" Pioneer 150FD plasma from Pioneer 95 BD player.

The DTS MA sound (5.1) was superb. I use PLIIx on a Denon 4308 to create 7.1 channels. Distinct sounds coming from all the speakers. The cats were frequently turning their heads to look at the various speakers. That's my test for good sound separation.

The colors in this movie tend to be muted in line with a not so sunny sky and nighttime scenes. So, there won't be the "pop" that is so often looked for. That being said, the PQ is very good. I'm glad I purchased this BD and look forward to watching the entire movie this weekend."
--------------------------------------------------

Based upon his post above, I have to wonder if dgkp ever saw the original movie:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgkp View Post

Prepare for disappointment. Watched it last night. The PQ is very poor (for a blu ray): soft, artifacty, dull and lifeless. Yes, I'm sure it's better than an upscaled DVD but it's likely to end up a low tier 3 or even a tier 4.

Sometimes it seems that some of the BD/HDDVD crowd around here is more interested in an image that pops with brilliant color and incredible detail than the movie itself. To be a good BD disk, the image simply has to be faithful to the original movie. Whether or not the viewer likes the original cinematography is another issue, not related to the quality of the image on the disk.
post #15 of 237 Old 05-03-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

So is this worth the wait ? I don't think so.

Any chance you could be a bit more specific? Why don't you think it's worth the wait? Because you don't like the movie? Or because it isn't eye candy?
post #16 of 237 Old 05-03-2008, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sometimes it seems that some of the BD/HDDVD crowd around here is more interested in an image that pops with brilliant color and incredible detail than the movie itself. To be a good BD disk, the image simply has to be faithful to the original movie. Whether or not the viewer likes the original cinematography is another issue, not related to the quality of the image on the disk.

M&C is relatively a recent title and given the fact that FOX has made us wait long for the stateside release, the type of picture quality that is reported on the REGION-A BD is unacceptable. If the PQ ain't up to the mark then FOX should have at least ported the extras from the CE. Sadly, all of the genuine and fascinating featurettes from the two-disc DVD are missing.

http://avplay.avforums.com/index.php...diareview=9289

PQ : 7/10
SQ: 10/10

http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd...the-world.html

PQ : 9/10
SQ : 9/10

http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews...ws.asp?ID=8174

http://www.blurayreviews.ch/reviews/...ray-review.htm

PQ : 3/5
SQ : 5/5

http://www.digital-movie.de/dvd-revi...asp?ArtNr=6356

PQ : 4.5/6
SQ : 6/6

http://www.cinerama.no/html/review/48687549.html

Extras

* Historical and Geographic Trivia Track
* Geographic Pop-up Map (track the location of Captain "Lucky" Jack Aubrey and his enemies)
* Personal Scene Selections
* Search Content
* Master and Commander Theatrical Trailer (HD)
* D-Box Compatible
* 5 Deleted Scenes

post #17 of 237 Old 05-03-2008, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by townofturley View Post

Any chance you could be a bit more specific? Why don't you think it's worth the wait? Because you don't like the movie? Or because it isn't eye candy?

Do you know how many times FOX had bumped the release of this title ? It's been more than a year and FOX is giving the same treatment they gave to the overseas release which was released long time back.

post #18 of 237 Old 05-03-2008, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Whether the image is faithful to the "original" or not for the purposes of Hi-Def is of little consequence. If the original presentation is poor the Hi-Def benefit will be minimal and that should be reflected in the reviews. I see the only benefit in the Blu Ray version over the SD version playing for example in my XA2, is the DTS HD MA in my PS3. I've found the DTS HD MA tracks superb so far such as Kingdom of Heaven and Predator. The sound has always been the strength of this movie. Now that we get a lossless track that will be hopefully the saving grace of the Blu Ray version with an otherwise mundane Hi-def picture.
post #19 of 237 Old 05-03-2008, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I got this locked in on SD DVD to the point of not getting any better IMHO with my equipment and it only viewed at 480p for years. It isn't any of my BD players I'm using even to this point as I have a Denon SD player. It is probably the most of any disc I've ever fussed with for PQ in my life adjusting player and display settings.

There are several tranquil places where one should see pop IMHO. Most of Chapter 18 for one reference and also the start of Chapter 10. I will be VERY disappointed if these spots in the movie don't come out any better on BD than SD DVD though it looks pretty darn good to my eyes with the latter. If I can get even a 25% upgrade though on PQ through the tough chapters like 15 and 16 where all hell breaks loose with a stormy sea, fog, wind rain, etc. etc. I'll be pleased.

This is not suppose to be the same POS as the EU BD version from what I know in discussions on other threads back when regarding this movie. If I had the ability, I'd post some screen shots of this in 480p and it looks better than those dvdactive.com shots.

I sure want to take a look at this myself as I'm obviously not content with watching the SD DVD in 480p with my Tosh 50" RPTV as I had for years but I've had viewers of this movie using my equipment say it isn't all that bad even in the tough spots to tell the truth. Guess the time I spent fussing with it has been worth it.

Davide is right. This movie needs to be viewed in total blackout conditions. I never even bother anymore with viewing it until dead of night.

I await more opinions. Hopefully i'll get mine middle of next week.
post #20 of 237 Old 05-03-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPforMe View Post

Whether the image is faithful to the "original" or not for the purposes of Hi-Def is of little consequence. If the original presentation is poor the Hi-Def benefit will be minimal and that should be reflected in the reviews.

I completely disagree with you.

Being faithful to the original is everything and hardly "of little consequence". You seem to be proving my point that for some, BD is about popping colors and detail and not about movies.

You are saying the original is poor. What was it about the theatrical presentation that was poor. Is it that you didn't like the cinematography?

Tell me something. If the BD doesn't have to be faithful to the original, what should it be?
post #21 of 237 Old 05-03-2008, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The DVD never looked good either.
Lets be honest, the main reason to pick this one up is its always been one of the best sounding movies ever made. If this is even a slight step up from DVD it will be worth it. Doesn't hurt that its an excellent movie either.
post #22 of 237 Old 05-03-2008, 01:01 PM

I also loved this movie and will be picking it up asap.
post #23 of 237 Old 05-03-2008, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Guys, this release is completely faithful to the theatrical release and looks far better than the DVD and even better than the D-Theater release although but just a tad. The goal of high def transfers should be to be as an exact reproduction of the original as possible. Don't expect the BD disc to look better than the actual original film. The audio however is reference in all respects. It is an amazing audio presentation. Just dial up any of the battle sequences and let her rip. The audio fidelity on the music, especially the violin and cello passages is excellent as well. Wonderful fidelity and open sound with great imaging and depth.

Louder is NOT better!
post #24 of 237 Old 05-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Still no amazon pre-order...What gives????
post #25 of 237 Old 05-03-2008, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fuller68 View Post

Still no amazon pre-order...What gives????

Sure there is....

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Command.../dp/B000VDDWDS
post #26 of 237 Old 05-03-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

The DVD never looked good either.

Why is that? Because it's SD? What wasn't good about the SD DVD, other than not being HD?
post #27 of 237 Old 05-03-2008, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why is that? Because it's SD? What wasn't good about the SD DVD, other than not being HD?

I do not own the DVD (I own the D-Theater tape), but I recall a lot of comments about macroblocking during cloudy scenes...
post #28 of 237 Old 05-03-2008, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Friends,

Is this title worth the wait considering FOX's frequent bumping, featuring of no extras from the CE and minting from the same master used for the D-Theater ?

Please be informed that the overseas release of M&C happened quite a long time ago and carries the same features.

post #29 of 237 Old 05-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDarrylR View Post

Sure there is....

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Command.../dp/B000VDDWDS

Oops...Must have missed it...Thanks
post #30 of 237 Old 05-03-2008, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I completely disagree with you.

Being faithful to the original is everything and hardly "of little consequence". You seem to be proving my point that for some, BD is about popping colors and detail and not about movies.

You are saying the original is poor. What was it about the theatrical presentation that was poor. Is it that you didn't like the cinematography?

Tell me something. If the BD doesn't have to be faithful to the original, what should it be?

Both of you have points. If the BD shows little difference from the DVD, there would be little reason to purchase it. IE, I'm not going to buy a SACD that I can't tell apart from a regular CD.

And your correct in saying the representing and being faithful is all the you can expect. Your right, replicating the original is what the BD should do.

However, if there is little difference between the original and the DVD, I think that should be noted so people don't waste their money. Whether M&C on BD replicates the original theater experiece, I can't say. I haven't seen the BD yet.

You know "that look" women get when they want sex? Me neither. - Steve Martin
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page