To Live and Die in L.A. Japan Blu-Ray - AVS Forum
Blu-ray Software > To Live and Die in L.A. Japan Blu-Ray
badlieut's Avatar badlieut 07:11 PM 05-06-2008
I'm not a reviewer of any sort but I will just say that the Japanese To Live and Die in LA is region free. I got it today. Subtitles can be turned off. Picture looks great to me but it is an old film.

jvillain's Avatar jvillain 07:46 PM 05-06-2008
I always liked this movie. Great car chase scene. I'll wait for the N/A version but hopefully it will be soon. Is there a lossless sound track? I'm looking forward to hearing the driving beat of the music while Dafoe's character is doing some printing.

Glad it is out some where.
Lee Weber's Avatar Lee Weber 08:16 PM 05-06-2008
Geat flick...hopefully it will come out here.
awx's Avatar awx 11:25 PM 05-06-2008
I didn't care for the movie all that much but I'd like to see it in hi-def just to see the terrific rear end on that blond informant.
singulus's Avatar singulus 12:04 AM 05-07-2008
Hi! Where did you order the BR????

regards
singulus
(Vienna calling)
Geoff D's Avatar Geoff D 04:46 AM 05-07-2008
Does the disc have any extra features?
lf82me's Avatar lf82me 06:16 AM 05-07-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by singulus View Post

Hi! Where did you order the BR????

regards
singulus
(Vienna calling)

CD Japan has it;
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=MGXA-26310

and so does Amazon Japan for a slightly better price;

http://www.amazon.co.jp/
To find it there, enter the catalog# in the search field: MGXA-26310
singulus's Avatar singulus 07:06 AM 05-07-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by lf82me View Post

CD Japan has it;
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=MGXA-26310

and so does Amazon Japan for a slightly better price;

http://www.amazon.co.jp/
To find it there, enter the catalog# in the search field: MGXA-26310

Thank's

singulus
badlieut's Avatar badlieut 07:17 AM 05-07-2008
Yeah, I got it from Amazon.jp. There are no extra features that I see...just a trailer for Ronin and Silence of the Lambs.

As far as the lossless audio, I'm not sure. I'm not very good at identifying that. I still have issues getting digital audio to my Denon 3802 on certain blu-rays. TL&DLA defaults to DTS Neo and I can't get digital audio.
Adam_ME's Avatar Adam_ME 08:54 AM 05-07-2008
There was a trailer for this on the Robocop Blu-ray release, so hopefully it's on MGM's upcoming slate.
Jamie E's Avatar Jamie E 01:48 PM 05-07-2008
NICE! This is one of my favorite '80s crime movies, so I'll be anxiously awaiting a domestic version. I even have the original one sheet on my wall (NSS 850087). Tag Line:

A Federal Agent is dead.
A killer is loose.
And the City of Angels
is about to explode.

The director of
"The French Connection"
is back on the street again.
gubarenko's Avatar gubarenko 02:43 PM 05-07-2008
are you shure it's region free?
because US & JPN are the same A region.
porsche951's Avatar porsche951 03:16 PM 05-07-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie E View Post

NICE! This is one of my favorite '80s crime movies, so I'll be anxiously awaiting a domestic version. I even have the original one sheet on my wall (NSS 850087). Tag Line:

A Federal Agent is dead.
A killer is loose.
And the City of Angels
is about to explode.

The director of
"The French Connection"
is back on the street again.

Nice poster. Classic movie.
badlieut's Avatar badlieut 03:17 PM 05-07-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by gubarenko View Post

are you shure it's region free?
because US & JPN are the same A region.

Sorry, I was using DVD terms. I can't say whether it's totally region free.
singulus's Avatar singulus 04:27 AM 05-29-2008
Region B Version is on it's way (June 11)

http://www.freerecordshop.com/is-bin...3D10&SubCat=02

regards
singulus
jvillain's Avatar jvillain 05:19 AM 05-29-2008
Looks like it has an HD-MA sound track. Sounds like it is time for a North American release.
ThePrisoner's Avatar ThePrisoner 02:07 PM 05-29-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvillain View Post

Is there a lossless sound track? I'm looking forward to hearing the driving beat of the music while Dafoe's character is doing some printing.

Same here!
HeadRusch's Avatar HeadRusch 09:12 AM 06-19-2008
Ah yes...

This is one of those movies that in the 80's, when I was a teen, I really couldn't care less about. The French Connection was too 70's for me and I couldn't get into it or other period cop dramas like Serpico, etc. Nor at the time could I get past a soundtrack by Wang Chung..."Wait..Wang Chung are doing the soundtrack? HOw lame can this be!?".

So I saw it for the first time with the new release of the DVD a handfull of years back, and was *really* impressed. I knew *nothing* about the movie, mind you....not even the plot, only that it starred the guy from CSI. (I had just watched MANHUNTER for the first time as well, so I was on a William Peterson roll).....and I was suitably impressed.

I'm not much for Car Chases, honestly, but the overall movie worked on alot of levels..the level of improvisation, how the scenes weren't so cut-and-dried rehersed, was fantastic.....the ending, and I mean the real last-5 minutes ending, was a little strange...but overall I really loved this movie.

To those that have the foreign release, I don't consider a film from the 80's an "old" film per say...but does the picture and detail hold up, or is it a grain-fest...??
Rusty James's Avatar Rusty James 09:20 AM 06-21-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by awx View Post

I didn't care for the movie all that much but I'd like to see it in hi-def just to see the terrific rear end on that blond informant.

Then you really need to get out more.
Rusty James's Avatar Rusty James 09:21 AM 06-21-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvillain View Post

Looks like it has an HD-MA sound track. Sounds like it is time for a North American release.

Sure hope so. Also hoping they port over the extras from the R1 DVD, but since it's Fox/MGM, I'm not holding my breath.
awx's Avatar awx 11:00 AM 06-21-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty James View Post

Then you really need to get out more.

Nah, I can have fond memories of scenes in movies that I didn't care for, like everyone else. Have fun!
zacharysmith's Avatar zacharysmith 01:33 PM 06-21-2008
Just got this disc. Film grain is present and it is the best the movie has ever looked. It is not a stellar transfer but I can't complain. It is the best version out there.
Snake Plisken's Avatar Snake Plisken 06:21 PM 06-21-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

Nor at the time could I get past a soundtrack by Wang Chung..."Wait..Wang Chung are doing the soundtrack? HOw lame can this be!?".

That was an excellent soundtrack by Wang Chung! Can't wait to hear it in DTS-MA
davcole's Avatar davcole 06:47 PM 06-21-2008
I must say that Wang Chung did a stellar job on the score to that film. What a novel ideal Friedkin had for using them to score the film. It was a very "modern-sounding" score at the time and unlike alot of 80's music still holds up!!

Oh.... yes I STILL have the soundtrack CD!
zacharysmith's Avatar zacharysmith 11:42 PM 06-21-2008
I agree about Wang Chung. I think they get made fun of quite a bit because of the name and the association with being so 80's, however, if you listen to the majority of the rest of their songs you quickly realize that the band was quite unique and still holds up to this day. Amazing vocals and presence and a perfect fit for the movie. One of the reasons I bought the Blu Ray!
Up
Mobile  Desktop