Criterion Goes Blu!!! - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 2499 Old 08-14-2008, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SirDrexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 4,133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They said they would be priced the same as the DVDs. We just need to see what the retailers do with them. They generally don't discount Criterion titles from MSRP as much as they do for studio titles.

One thing that will be interesting is to find out if some titles get a reduced price due to not needing as many discs. When Brazil, for instance is released, it should only need 2 discs instead of 3 because the extras are in standard definition. I wonder if there's even an HD master of the edited version, and whether they would bother to do a new one.
SirDrexl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 2499 Old 08-14-2008, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Timothy Ramzyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: milwaukee
Posts: 3,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrexl View Post

They said they would be priced the same as the DVDs. We just need to see what the retailers do with them. They generally don't discount Criterion titles from MSRP as much as they do for studio titles.

One thing that will be interesting is to find out if some titles get a reduced price due to not needing as many discs. When Brazil, for instance is released, it should only need 2 discs instead of 3 because the extras are in standard definition. I wonder if there's even an HD master of the edited version, and whether they would bother to do a new one.

I highly doubt it, a DVD probably has a unit cost of about $.20 cents to mass produce. My guess is one BD costs 4-fold or better. Also, they are selling to a pretty small pool of buyers at this point.
Timothy Ramzyk is offline  
post #273 of 2499 Old 08-14-2008, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JBlacklow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: A state of uncertainty
Posts: 4,692
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Ramzyk View Post

I highly doubt it, a DVD probably has a unit cost of about $.20 cents to mass produce. My guess is one BD costs 4-fold or better. Also, they are selling to a pretty small pool of buyers at this point.

It really helps to read the official information before not only asking a question that is already answered, but then claiming the answer you got is wrong.

From Criterion's e-mail, website, press release, and the first post in this thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Criterion View Post

Our first Blu-ray discs are coming! We've picked a little over a dozen titles from the collection for Blu-ray treatment, and we'll begin rolling them out in October. These new editions will feature glorious high-definition picture and sound, all the supplemental content of the DVD releases, and they will be priced to match our standard-def editions.


"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

Best. Surge Protector. Ever.
JBlacklow is offline  
post #274 of 2499 Old 08-14-2008, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
paku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrexl View Post

They said they would be priced the same as the DVDs. We just need to see what the retailers do with them. They generally don't discount Criterion titles from MSRP as much as they do for studio titles.

Yeah, it depends on the retailer. At DVDPacific for example, Criterion titles are consistently discounted by 32% (and I assume it will be the same with Blu-ray), which is better than some of the bigger studios where discounts seem to vary wildly between releases.

Quote:


When Brazil, for instance is released, it should only need 2 discs instead of 3 because the extras are in standard definition. I wonder if there's even an HD master of the edited version, and whether they would bother to do a new one.

The quality on the latest Criterion release was horrendous even for DVD, so no. I think it was more or less included as an extra.
paku is offline  
post #275 of 2499 Old 08-14-2008, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
westgate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: ʇuoɯɹ
Posts: 5,624
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungear View Post

+1

same here, re 'r. crusoe on mars'!
westgate is offline  
post #276 of 2499 Old 08-14-2008, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
UxiSXRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hopefully they got to Kurosawa soon!

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

UxiSXRD is offline  
post #277 of 2499 Old 08-14-2008, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JBlacklow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: A state of uncertainty
Posts: 4,692
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by UxiSXRD View Post

Hopefully they got to Kurosawa soon!

"Seven Samurai" was mentioned as a potential title (i.e. being prepared for BD) in the article.

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

Best. Surge Protector. Ever.
JBlacklow is offline  
post #278 of 2499 Old 08-14-2008, 11:52 AM
Member
 
mccurdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Of their DVD releases, I would most like to see 8 1/2 ported to BD. (Brazil would be nice too, mind.)

Of the titles they have mentioned they are working on, Walkabout and The Third Man are definite must-buys for me. I'll grab Bottle Rocket too, as I don't own that on any format currently. The 400 Blows, I think I will wait on in the hope of an eventual BD box-set of all the films in the set.

There are other titles of interest to me in the list too, but those ones I am in less of a rush for...
mccurdy is offline  
post #279 of 2499 Old 08-14-2008, 12:11 PM
Member
 
Cold_As_IceSMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll be purchasing Chungking Express and The Third Man on day one, but what I'm really clamoring for Solaris. The master that Criterion used for the DVD remains impressive today, imo, aside from some minor image juddering here and there.

Blu-ray Collection:
http://www.dvdspot.com/member=Cold_As_IceSMM

Most Wanted Blu-ray:
Solaris (Soderbergh)
Cold_As_IceSMM is offline  
post #280 of 2499 Old 08-14-2008, 01:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Kishiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold_As_IceSMM View Post

I'll be purchasing Chungking Express and The Third Man on day one, but what I'm really clamoring for Solaris. The master that Criterion used for the DVD remains impressive today, imo, aside from some minor image juddering here and there.
__________________
Blu-ray Collection:
http://www.dvdspot.com/member=Cold_As_IceSMM

Most Wanted Blu-ray:
Solaris (Soderbergh)

I would also love to see Criterion release "Solaris" and "Andrei Rublev" on Blu. That would be so sweeeet.

Btw; We're talking about Andrei Tarkovsky's "Solaris" here, right? Because that is the one Criterion has the rights to, but your signature seem to indicate that it's the Soderbergh remake with George Clooney you really want...?
Kishiro is offline  
post #281 of 2499 Old 08-14-2008, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Timothy Ramzyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: milwaukee
Posts: 3,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlacklow View Post

It really helps to read the official information before not only asking a question that is already answered, but then claiming the answer you got is wrong.

From Criterion's e-mail, website, press release, and the first post in this thread:

Hey, no need to be a Mr. snotty-pants, my comment was not in response as to whether or not a Blu-ray would cost more, but the speculation that it may even cost less due to a decreased number of disks compared to DVD counterparts. I merely guessed that pressing DVD is so cheap now, that a single Blu-ray probably still costs more than it's multi-DVD counterpart. I took no issue with the info that they will be equal in price, but rather notion that they could be cheaper.

It was a guess response to a speculative question.
Timothy Ramzyk is offline  
post #282 of 2499 Old 08-14-2008, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
paku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What I really want for Criterion to release on Blu-ray is Kurosawa's 1975 film Dersu Uzala. Image released the DVD but I think Criterion released it on Laserdisc.

Anyway it was filmed in 70mm and most of the wide nature shots are absolutely fantastic, but unfortunately all the DVD editions look about as bad as is possible, made from composite masters with zero definition, bad colours and artifacts everywhere. I don't think there is a word strong enough to describe the possible improvement of a new restoration/transfer in 1080p.
paku is offline  
post #283 of 2499 Old 08-14-2008, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Timothy Ramzyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: milwaukee
Posts: 3,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I really want PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK, it should be stunning in HD.
Timothy Ramzyk is offline  
post #284 of 2499 Old 08-14-2008, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JBlacklow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: A state of uncertainty
Posts: 4,692
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Ramzyk View Post

Hey, no need to be a Mr. snotty-pants, my comment was not in response as to whether or not a Blu-ray would cost more, but the speculation that it may even cost less due to a decreased number of disks compared to DVD counterparts. I merely guessed that pressing DVD is so cheap now, that a single Blu-ray probably still costs more than it's multi-DVD counterpart. I took no issue with the info that they will be equal in price, but rather notion that they could be cheaper.

It was a guess response to a speculative question.

Apologies, I thought it was the same question that had been asked a billion times before by people that hadn't bothered reading the first post.

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

Best. Surge Protector. Ever.
JBlacklow is offline  
post #285 of 2499 Old 08-14-2008, 04:15 PM
Member
 
mccurdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Ramzyk View Post

I really want PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK, it should be stunning in HD.

I would like that too - ideally including theatrical and director's cuts...
mccurdy is offline  
post #286 of 2499 Old 08-14-2008, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
xradman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 3,017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm surprised no one's mentioned In the Mood for Love. I would much prefer this to Chungking Express as the definitive Wong Kar-wai movie.

Addicted to shiny round discs with HD content

My Home Theater
My Movie Collection
BDP-83 EAP (second group)
xradman is offline  
post #287 of 2499 Old 08-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Member
 
mccurdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xradman View Post

I'm surprised no one's mentioned In the Mood for Love. I would much prefer this to Chungking Express as the definitive Wong Kar-wai movie.

I agree with that. Also, I am a bit concerned as to what sort of print of Chungking Express they will be able to license (hopefully this will not be an issue). I have seen a few DVD releases of this and none were terribly impressive - indeed, I don't think that you would gain anything from encoding any of their masters in 1080p.

In the Mood For Love on the other hand has a beautiful master and I am in full agreement that it is the better film (although there are other WKW films I prefer to both).

I think I read somewhere that As Tears Go By and another film may be being prepared for BD release somewhere in Asia - I suspect its HK. If they get properly remastered in HD (and I am a bit suspicious), I am all over those.
mccurdy is offline  
post #288 of 2499 Old 08-14-2008, 05:37 PM
 
Thunderbolt8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xradman View Post

I'm surprised no one's mentioned In the Mood for Love. I would much prefer this to Chungking Express as the definitive Wong Kar-wai movie.

nah, chungking express forever
just hoping their quality will be comparably good as with their DVDs = no stupid attempts of DNR, but on the other side no colour manipulation either please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccurdy View Post

Also, I am a bit concerned as to what sort of print of Chungking Express they will be able to license (hopefully this will not be an issue). I have seen a few DVD releases of this and none were terribly impressive - indeed, I don't think that you would gain anything from encoding any of their masters in 1080p.

the korean R3 DVD from alto media looks comparably well and was also said to be taken from an HD master. just hoping they would use this instead of other prints which might be used for the other, weaker DVD editions
Thunderbolt8 is offline  
post #289 of 2499 Old 08-14-2008, 05:56 PM
Member
 
mccurdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post

the korean R3 DVD from alto media looks comparably well and was also said to be taken from an HD master. just hoping they would use this instead of other prints which might be used for the other, weaker DVD editions

Good to know. If the Criterion is a decent release, I am more than happy to upgrade my current (rather crappy) DVD copy to BD.
mccurdy is offline  
post #290 of 2499 Old 08-14-2008, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Timothy Ramzyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: milwaukee
Posts: 3,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xradman View Post

I'm surprised no one's mentioned In the Mood for Love. I would much prefer this to Chungking Express as the definitive Wong Kar-wai movie.

i'd buy that, it's great artsy-fartsy eye candy.
Timothy Ramzyk is offline  
post #291 of 2499 Old 08-15-2008, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
txfilmguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: My bachelor pad is in North Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccurdy View Post

Of their DVD releases, I would most like to see 8 1/2 ported to BD. (Brazil would be nice too, mind.)

Ported? I would hope they'd strike new HD transfers! A port is a clone of an encode from a previous version. The DVD edition of Brazil, for example, was SD, and a letterboxed 1.85:1 frame in a 4x3 format. I don't think that would be worth buying on Blu-ray. Give me a new 1.85:1 HD transfer that fills my 16x9 screen!
txfilmguy is offline  
post #292 of 2499 Old 08-15-2008, 09:22 AM
Member
 
Cold_As_IceSMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishiro View Post

I would also love to see Criterion release "Solaris" and "Andrei Rublev" on Blu. That would be so sweeeet.

Btw; We're talking about Andrei Tarkovsky's "Solaris" here, right? Because that is the one Criterion has the rights to, but your signature seem to indicate that it's the Soderbergh remake with George Clooney you really want...?

Yeah, I was referring to Tarkovsky's rendition in my post. I assumed one would easily deduce which film I was referring to due to the rights ownership; my bad.

Blu-ray Collection:
http://www.dvdspot.com/member=Cold_As_IceSMM

Most Wanted Blu-ray:
Solaris (Soderbergh)
Cold_As_IceSMM is offline  
post #293 of 2499 Old 08-15-2008, 09:33 AM
Member
 
Cold_As_IceSMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfilmguy View Post

Ported? I would hope they'd strike new HD transfers! A port is a clone of an encode from a previous version. The DVD edition of Brazil, for example, was SD, and a letterboxed 1.85:1 frame in a 4x3 format. I don't think that would be worth buying on Blu-ray. Give me a new 1.85:1 HD transfer that fills my 16x9 screen!

Criterion's DVD re-issue of Brazil is actually anamorphic 1.85, but is a replication of the previous release in every other respect to my knowledge.

It actually looks quite nice on my Sony Bravia W3000.

Blu-ray Collection:
http://www.dvdspot.com/member=Cold_As_IceSMM

Most Wanted Blu-ray:
Solaris (Soderbergh)
Cold_As_IceSMM is offline  
post #294 of 2499 Old 08-15-2008, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
Blood Pie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In the cut.
Posts: 975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xradman View Post

I'm surprised no one's mentioned In the Mood for Love. I would much prefer this to Chungking Express as the definitive Wong Kar-wai movie.

I think Chungking Express is easily his best and most touching film and doesn't suffer from the over done and obtuse nature of ITMFL and 2046. I love all of these films, though, and will definitely buy all of them when they are released on BD.

Also, even if the difference is minimal between the DVD and BD version of CKE it will be worth it. I think the best thing to do is set your expectations accordingly. The source material looks like it suffers from the late 80s to mid 90s crappy film and storage epidemic that many older indie titles have...as long as CC cleans it up some and adds some resolution it will be a huge improvement over ALL the numerous DVD versions. That being said, it will never be a film that will be demo material even if CC hires NASA to restore with a budget of 10 billion bones...the source is too old and looks like it never looked that great to begin with in terms of it being demo material. However, its shot well and the story and score more than make for any problems with the technical side of the DVD...which to me is the sign of a truly great film.
Blood Pie is offline  
post #295 of 2499 Old 08-15-2008, 06:02 PM
Member
 
barrym71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It looks like the first five Blu-ray titles are posted on the Criterion website. Two have 11/18 release dates (The Man Who Fell to Earth and The Third Man) and the other three have 11/25 release dates (Chungking Express, The Last Emperor and Bottle Rocket).

They list uncompressed audio for The Third Man and The Man Who Fell to Earth, Dolby Digital for Chungking Express and Bottle Rocket and DTS-HD Master Audio for The Last Emperor.
barrym71 is offline  
post #296 of 2499 Old 08-15-2008, 06:26 PM
Member
 
Reiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Can't wait. My top release of the year.
November 25th is the first round of releases.
The Man Who Fell to Earth, The Third Man, The Last Emperor, and two brand-new releases, Bottle Rocket and Chungking Express.
Reiter is offline  
post #297 of 2499 Old 08-15-2008, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
OldCodger73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does Amazon typically carry Criterion discs?
OldCodger73 is online now  
post #298 of 2499 Old 08-15-2008, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GizmoDVD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes
GizmoDVD is online now  
post #299 of 2499 Old 08-15-2008, 08:12 PM
Senior Member
 
lasvidfil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Criterion has posted the specs for the first wave on their site:

http://www.criterion.com/asp/browse_bluray.asp
lasvidfil is offline  
post #300 of 2499 Old 08-15-2008, 08:18 PM
 
Thunderbolt8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
the DD only for chungking express is fail (afaik even the R3 DVD already had a DTS track), but doensnt matter that much to me, since I cant understand chinese anyway and its not an action movie. at least its OAR 1.66

"his new high-definition digital transfer was created on a Spirit Datacine from a 35 mm internegative and a 35 mm interpositive struck from the original negative. Thousands of instances of dirt, debris, and scratches were removed using the MTI Digital Restoration System."

and lets hope the grain is still in

the last emperor unfortunately is only the theatrical version, Ill stick to the DVD then -.-
Thunderbolt8 is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off