Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #91 of 2502 Old 05-08-2008, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I find it hilarious that some of the same people (not necessarily in this thread) that ranted on and on about HD DVD's supposed "artistic advantage"--only to be proven liars when the sales numbers came out and "2001" sold a fraction of "Transformers"--are now either pooh-poohing the slate (which is one month's releases) or completely baffled by these movies.

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

Best. Surge Protector. Ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2502 Old 05-08-2008, 12:18 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schils
...label me a shallow fool as well then, not the least bit ashamed to admit I've never heard of any of those, not to mention vaugley hearing of the studio itself (but don't get me fully wrong, I understand this is still very good news for BR and these all important steps towards toppling DVD) - only peeked into this thread to see what new titles might be coming, oh well, moving along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomixer View Post

Not shallow...just not educated in classic American and foreign films.

No, he was right, shallow pretty much sums it up.
post #93 of 2502 Old 05-08-2008, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I guess if I havent ever heard or seen of some of these films then I am a different 'class' of person?

PSN: DaveS78
post #94 of 2502 Old 05-08-2008, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

No, he was right, shallow pretty much sums it up

LMAO!! Please stop, you're breaking my heart because I admitted I never heard of that group of movies....I'll leave this blazing thread now, don't wanna clutter it up and upset the obviously massive following these movies have.

My Setup | Night | Bedroom

Latest Blu-Rays Bought: This is The End, The Conjuring, The World's End, You're Next, Thor 2, Gravity, Noah, Cpt. America Winter Soldier, Godzilla, Big Bang Season 7, Texas Chainsaw 40th, Edge of Tomorrow, Kingpin, Snowpiercer
post #95 of 2502 Old 05-08-2008, 12:31 PM

For those not in the know, Salo is a movie against facism and violence. If you can stand it to the end, you walk away disgusted (unless you are a psychotic freak). Psychological and physical violence inflicted on the human race by their fellow men. How little has changed. This film's message is in striking contrast to today's blockbusters that glorifies war and violence to achieve one's goals. You can substitute fascism with any ideology you want. You do not come out of this movie unshaken..
post #96 of 2502 Old 05-08-2008, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I doubt that Criterion even have the rights to many of the titles I'd love them to re-release. The extended version of Armageddon would be lovely,(released anamorphically enhanced and extras licensed from Criterion in the UK), but I'm sure Buena Vista plan to release it. Although like The Rock, the Criterion extras could well be included. Same goes for Rushmore.

There's also no way they have the rights to Hard Boiled or The Killer, Weinstein owns them through the Dragon Dynasty label. No Robocop Criterion either...Shame.
post #97 of 2502 Old 05-08-2008, 12:52 PM

As someone who hasn't seen most of the "criterion movies", but would like to expand my horizons (not that they are limited or even include Crank, etc.) is Netflix the best way to go about this?

I'd love to own the whole collection but its not feasible economically.

Thanks

Also, where to start?

The Last Emperor
Kurosawa - anything
post #98 of 2502 Old 05-08-2008, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Do any of these movies have spaceships in them?
post #99 of 2502 Old 05-08-2008, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schils View Post

...label me a shallow fool as well then, not the least bit ashamed to admit I've never heard of any of those, not to mention vaugley hearing of the studio itself (but don't get me fully wrong, I understand this is still very good news for BR and these all important steps towards toppling DVD) - only peeked into this thread to see what new titles might be coming, oh well, moving along...

Actually I'm a little envious of you because you get to discover these movies for the first time in 1080p!
post #100 of 2502 Old 05-08-2008, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathStalker2 View Post

Do any of these movies have spaceships in them?

For All Mankind has real spaceships.

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
-George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four
post #101 of 2502 Old 05-08-2008, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bferr1 View Post

Actually I'm a little envious of you because you get to discover these movies for the first time in 1080p!

Seriously - I did just realize an old quilty pleasure of mine happens to be a Criterion title, least I think it is (?), was one of the very first dvd's I ever purchased, like I said a horrid flick to most, but prolly the only decent Van Damme flick I can think of - "Cyborg"...not sure I'd buy it again though, even if it was to come out in 1080p...flame away, lol!

My Setup | Night | Bedroom

Latest Blu-Rays Bought: This is The End, The Conjuring, The World's End, You're Next, Thor 2, Gravity, Noah, Cpt. America Winter Soldier, Godzilla, Big Bang Season 7, Texas Chainsaw 40th, Edge of Tomorrow, Kingpin, Snowpiercer
post #102 of 2502 Old 05-08-2008, 01:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Solaris (the Russian equivalent of "2001: A Space Odyssey") was released on Criterion Collection DVD a while back. It takes place inside a space ship.
post #103 of 2502 Old 05-08-2008, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For those who do not yet know: Criterion is less a studio, and more of an invitation-only hall of fame for classic and important films. Beginning with the LaserDisc format, they were responsible for hand-picking classing films that were being largely ignored on home video or had simply been released in a shoddy way. Criterion were responsible for implementing a number of practices that no one else was at the time, which paved the way for many of the features we have enjoyed on DVD for so long. When a movie was selected by Criterion, the following happened:

1) The film underwent a full restoration or was transferred from the best available elements in existence.

2) The transfer was made in the original aspect ratio.

3) A commentary was recorded by the filmmakers, or a historian if the filmmakers had passed away.

4) Interviews, making-of docs, and retrospective pieces were produced to give the viewer the most complete background on the making of the film and its impact available.

5) The entire package was approved by the director, if living.

Yes, much of these are all standard on DVD and Blu-ray now, but keep in mind, no one else was doing this when Criterion first came on the scene. It is because of this organization that we now find these features on nearly every DVD release. Needless to say, their numbered collection contains many of the most influential movies made over the past century+. If you haven't heard of them, okay... most here would consider you merely a casual movie buff. However, if you feel like digging deep into the history of this art form and discovering some true gems, the Criterion Collection is the perfect place to start. As a director, being contacted by Criterion for a release of one of your films is an honor on par with getting an Oscar for Picture of the Year.

*stepping off soapbox*
post #104 of 2502 Old 05-08-2008, 02:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfilmguy View Post

As a director, being contacted by Criterion for a release of one of your films is an honor on par with getting an Oscar for Picture of the Year.

I think most directors would rank getting an Academy Award for Best Picture (or Best Foreign Language Film if its an overseas director) much, much higher than getting their movie released on Criterion Collection. For directors of movies dealing with themes, topics or ideas too weird/off beat/foreign for Hollywood mainstream (like Alex Cox or Jim Jarmush) I can see an immense appreciation for Criterion saving their little-profit making movies from obscurity and treating them like masterpieces.
post #105 of 2502 Old 05-08-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

I think most directors would rank getting an Academy Award for Best Picture (or Best Foreign Language Film if its an overseas director) much, much higher than getting their movie released on Criterion Collection. For directors of movies dealing with themes, topics or ideas too weird/off beat/foreign for Hollywood mainstream (like Alex Cox or Jim Jarmush) I can see an immense appreciation for Criterion saving their little-profit making movies from obscurity and treating them like masterpieces.

That is why films winning the Oscars are viewed outside the USA as films achieving mostly material success. We tend to see winners of La Palme d'Or of Cannes Festival, Grand Jury Prize of Sundance, Lion d'Or of the Venice Film Festival..etc as more true to the art form."Le septième Art".
post #106 of 2502 Old 05-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Seriously - I did just realize an old quilty pleasure of mine happens to be a Criterion title, least I think it is (?), was one of the very first dvd's I ever purchased, like I said a horrid flick to most, but prolly the only decent Van Damme flick I can think of - "Cyborg"...not sure I'd buy it again though, even if it was to come out in 1080p...flame away, lol!

I don't think it was Cyborg. You're thinking of Gymkata..which was my first Criterion dvd.
post #107 of 2502 Old 05-08-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathStalker2 View Post

I don't think it was Cyborg. You're thinking of Gymkata..which was my first Criterion dvd.

Wrong again. You people are plainly insane. I believe you're thinking of RobotJox... which was my first Criterion.
post #108 of 2502 Old 05-08-2008, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

So for these classic movies...are they going to remaster them and transfer them to a wide aspect ratio?

The 3rd man is in 137:1...
post #109 of 2502 Old 05-08-2008, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post

Woo Hoo! Ummm.....

I havent heard of most of these titles. Should I be excited? Do they own the rights to Gladiator, LOTR, Alien/Aliens?

Oh, they dont.... nevermind.

Criterion doesn't release poo (other than Armageddon).

don't worry though....the eleventy billionth version of LOTR will be released soon.
post #110 of 2502 Old 05-08-2008, 04:02 PM

Great news. Great list. I'm already planning on saving money through August and September so I can afford a bunch of these. My list to buy is luckily only 5 movies long, and is:

Walkabout
Last Emperor
Bottle Rocket
The Third Man
The Man Who Fell to Earth

The only one of those I've seen, I'm ashamed to admit, is Bottle Rocket. However, I've had Third Man borrowed from my Dad for a long time. I was actually about to watch it a couple days ago but something came up. Glad it did, because now I get to experience it in 1080p for the first time!

I've heard Walkabout is amazing (and I don't have a short attention span so I know I'll like it ) and Last Emperor sounds like an awesome epic. Finally I love David Bowie, but have never seen Man Who Fell to Earth, so that'll be a treat and a half.

Damn Criterion, once you start releasing Kurosawa's movies, I'm going to be pulling tricks just to afford your releases! Rashomon in HD... *DROOOOOL*
post #111 of 2502 Old 05-08-2008, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBFilmGuy View Post

So for these classic movies...are they going to remaster them and transfer them to a wide aspect ratio?

The 3rd man is in 137:1...

I've always had a preference for classic foreign and artistic movies, the types that have come out on Criterion. But ever since purchasing an HDTV, I've shy'd away from playing these, in preference of newer titles, mainly because I've grown so fond of the widescreen format filling my screen. Unfortunately, most of the great titles on their way from Criterion will only be 4:3, because that's how the movies were originally made. In fact if they changed any of these to widescreen I would reject them, because it wouldn't be the OAR (for most anyway). This is why I was upset about The Last Emporer and Apocalypse Now, although that was for going from 2.35:1 to 2:1 (even 2.2:1 would have been better, although they were originally 2.35:1).

I'm hopeful that they will do a great job bringing these to BD and rekindle my interest in these classics.
post #112 of 2502 Old 05-08-2008, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by facesnorth View Post

I've always had a preference for classic foreign and artistic movies, the types that have come out on Criterion. But ever since purchasing an HDTV, I've shy'd away from playing these, in preference of newer titles, mainly because I've grown so fond of the widescreen format filling my screen. Unfortunately, most of the great titles on their way from Criterion will only be 4:3, because that's how the movies were originally made. In fact if they changed any of these to widescreen I would reject them, because it wouldn't be the OAR (for most anyway). This is why I was upset about The Last Emporer and Apocalypse Now, although that was for going from 2.35:1 to 2:1 (even 2.2:1 would have been better, although they were originally 2.35:1).

I'm hopeful that they will do a great job bringing these to BD and rekindle my interest in these classics.

Interesting...considering they were still shot in 35, i'd imagine there's a way to transfer them and make them widescreen. I guess we will have to wait and see
post #113 of 2502 Old 05-08-2008, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

They should absolutely not "make them widescreen." Those films were shot and composed for the 4:3 aspect ratio. They are not like modern films that may be shot open matte but intended to be projected at 1.85:1. Criterion would probably be the last company to do something like that (though they did let Vittorio Storaro impose his 2:1 ratio on The Last Emperor).

It still surprises me that people seem to have no problem with letterbox bars for 2.35:1 films, but don't like bars on the sides.
post #114 of 2502 Old 05-08-2008, 04:40 PM

Contempt and Chungking Express in HD... oh, my.

I'm crossing my fingers for Picnic at Hanging Rock and 8 1/2.

Hopefully, Criterion gives up on windowboxing 4:3 titles with their Blu-ray releases. Do any HDTVs have a problem with overscan?
post #115 of 2502 Old 05-08-2008, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

. . . and with the demographics of the PS3 crowd (you know the ones that made Alien vs Predator bestselling BD title instead of Passage to India ) each title will sell about . . . oh . . I dont know 2 copies each, except The 400 Blows because of some misunderstanding
post #116 of 2502 Old 05-08-2008, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrexl View Post

They should absolutely not "make them widescreen." Those films were shot and composed for the 4:3 aspect ratio. They are not like modern films that may be shot open matte but intended to be projected at 1.85:1. Criterion would probably be the last company to do something like that (though they did let Vittorio Storaro impose his 2:1 ratio on The Last Emperor).

It still surprises me that people seem to have no problem with letterbox bars for 2.35:1 films, but don't like bars on the sides.

because widescreen looks better and has more in the frame
post #117 of 2502 Old 05-08-2008, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

but i do agree that since they were shot for 4:3 they should remain that way
post #118 of 2502 Old 05-08-2008, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Honestly, I can't blame people for not liking or hearing these films. I was a film major in college, so believe me I've studied enough of them.

For many it's the equivalent of classical music. It may take more talent to create, be more nuanced and articulate. But at the end of the day, I'd rather listen to The Stone Temple Pilots than Vivaldi.

You know "that look" women get when they want sex? Me neither. - Steve Martin
post #119 of 2502 Old 05-08-2008, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

I can't wait for Chungking Express, great film.

Live GT: Destructorbot PSN: BassTek
post #120 of 2502 Old 05-08-2008, 05:22 PM

What do people here think of Criterion picture boxing ( window boxing ) their old classic releases....For those who have overscan i imagine it's fine but what about if you have no overscan are you happy with this ?
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page