Lonesome Dove 2 Disc BD - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 100 Old 05-25-2011, 04:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey I remember THAT show. There were some great sets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 100 Old 05-14-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I bought this when it first came-out but it's sat on the shelf until this week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat 
Compared to the murky, 4:3 Lonesome Dove DVD, the lovingly restored 16:9 BD is a joy to behold.

Indeed. Even had it NOT been released before, this is a wonderful presentation. And as for the work itself, my only issue remains with Anjelica Huston who rang the only false notes among the many fine actors.

I had no problems with the 5.1 audio at all. Sounded a lot better to me than any previous releases.

My only disappointment was with each disc's intro videos (upon insertion), which include 10 seconds of a still "Blu-ray Disc" image/logo (WHY??????). mad.gif

And the extras were all the original SD items from the DVD set. It might have been nice to get a few modern-day interviews with the principals.
post #93 of 100 Old 05-14-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

I bought this when it first came-out but it's sat on the shelf until this week.
Indeed. Even had it NOT been released before, this is a wonderful presentation. And as for the work itself, my only issue remains with Anjelica Huston who rang the only false notes among the many fine actors.

I had no problems with the 5.1 audio at all. Sounded a lot better to me than any previous releases.

My only disappointment was with each disc's intro videos (upon insertion), which include 10 seconds of a still "Blu-ray Disc" image/logo (WHY??????). mad.gif

And the extras were all the original SD items from the DVD set. It might have been nice to get a few modern-day interviews with the principals.

Really glad you enjoyed the BD of this great miniseries as much as I did. I thought the obsessive complaining that reframing the negative from 4:3 to 16:9 was wrong, despite the approval of the director of several of the episodes was, well, silly. I hate films that have been cropped from widescreen to 4:3 by the pan and scan technique and simply won't watch them. But the Lonesome Dove restoration for BD was an entirely different kettle of fish and vastly improved the murky 4:3 versions previously available only on VHS or DVD. Once again, I am really glad that you enjoyed it as much as I did.

I agree that the SD extras on the BD set were an epic fail. Not only were they in SD, they played in stretchovison. They looked so bad, I didn't even try to change the settings on my display in an attempt to get the presentation back to 4:3. It simply wasn't worth the trouble. Despite my (slight) disappointment with the extras, I regard my purchase of the BDs of this great miniseries as money well spent.
post #94 of 100 Old 05-14-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 257
It wasn't created in 4:3, it was filmed in a 1.6 aspect and cropped to 1.33. The BD restored the original 1.6 and did both crop and pan to produce 1.78. Extremely well done, and painstakingly done differently for each scene and shot. Purists might have preferred a 1.6 matted presentation, but we'll never see that.
post #95 of 100 Old 05-14-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

It wasn't created in 4:3, it was filmed in a 1.6 aspect and cropped to 1.33. The BD restored the original 1.6 and did both crop and pan to produce 1.78. Extremely well done, and painstakingly done differently for each scene and shot. Purists might have preferred a 1.6 matted presentation, but we'll never see that.

How do you "film in a 1.6 aspect ratio" when there is no film format with that ratio?

Some films may be shot in 1.33 with the intention of matting to 1.66, but that was clearly not the case here, where the film aspect and the intended exhibition aspect were essentially the same (1.33:1). The filmmakers framed every single shot with the knowledge the the viewers would see the same thing on their TV screens that they were seeing in their viewfinders.

But I agree with those who felt it was an extremely well-done adaptation from its OAR to 16:9. And that's what it was -- an adaptation, not a transfer. Any argument that what we see on the BD is what was originally intended is bogus, because we know that it was made for TV.

There's no question in my mind that if you're going to watch LD today on an HDTV, you want to watch this version. And I wouldn't argue that what was lost through cropping was particularly important, especially compared to what was gained by HD scanning of the film elements vs. NTSC scanning.

But it's still true that when it comes to an appreciation of frame composition, what's on these discs is a subset of the original -- that information has been lost. It probably won't matter to many people, but in science ("AV Science," remember?) all data is important, and when data is lost it's bad science to ignore it, pretend it didn't happen, or suggest that it doesn't matter.

Most of the original art is still there, and looks and sounds much better than it ever did. Appreciated as art and entertainment, this is now the definitive available version. But from a preservationist point of view, it leaves something to be desired: specifically, the things you could see in the original that were cut out of the frame in this version. That this happened isn't up for debate; the debate is only over its importance, which is a matter of opinion that will vary according to your perspective.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #96 of 100 Old 05-14-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

How do you "film in a 1.6 aspect ratio" when there is no film format with that ratio?

It was done quite a bit. Vistavision offered a 1.66 ratio. Some cameras allow a "hard matte" where not all of the frame is exposed. But we really don't need to go through all this yet again. The print this BD was mastered from was 1.66. The TV presentation was cropped from that to 1.33. Its anyone's guess what AR it was actually filmed at, but it certainly wasn't 1.33.
post #97 of 100 Old 05-14-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

But we really don't need to go through all this yet again.
That's right--it's the art that we marvel at and rarely has there been such a magical confluence of actors, sets, script, scenery--just everything about it was perfect really. And when you add the fact that the viewing pleasure was sustained over the long running time (and indeed one wishes when it's over that it's NOT) this has to be IMO the greatest western of all time.

BTW Wincer does say at the end of his interview that he was thrilled to have LD appear in widescreen and 5.1 audio. I don't recall seeing these comments before, but in any case that he was thrilled is good enough for me, and I am thrilled to that it is now available in high-def.
post #98 of 100 Old 05-15-2014, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Ye olde Wikipedia claims "Lonesome Dove was filmed in a soft matte 1.78:1 (16:9) aspect ratio, allowing it to be cropped from the 4:3 negative." No source...

Is the BD of high quality? I almost bought this BD, sight unseen, but after watching it on Netflix (widescreen) I opted out. Maybe if it ever gets below $10, I jump on it. I didn't hate it, it just didn't live up to insane hype people threw my way. Although I thought it had some great moments, overall it felt nerfed (TV budget and audience). I didn't watch it when it originally aired, so maybe the hype machine didn't pull me in.
post #99 of 100 Old 05-15-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

My remark was addressing the many posts I have read over the years that have sung the praises of Lonesome Dove.

It has quite a following, to be sure.

Geez, I'm sorry here.

I failed to define LD = Lonesome Dove.

Oh, well...
LOL. I actually had to think for a bit to figure out what was intended, too.

At first, I thought LD was a reference to Duval and was wondering if people had his first name wrong...

It gets really hard when you get into a thread where multiple movies are being discussed - all with initials. You end up with things like TESB, TNES, LOTR and ST:TMP.
post #100 of 100 Old 05-16-2014, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 77
My favorite westerns are OUATITW, DWW, U, S, TOJW, TMFSS, OR, and so on.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page