post #91 of 140 Old 06-01-2008, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by townofturley View Post

BTW, I think you used the midol line before. Any chance you could be more original next time? Look in your medicine cabinet.

nope. 'twasnt me. 1st line was from another 'observer'.
yer making a lot of friends around here, arentcha?

you make a lot of good points in your posts; maybe do it just a little less abrasively in the future.

10' from 84" screen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 140 Old 06-02-2008, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Man, that last SD DVD screenshot has tons of haloing and blocking in it, the BD has none of that. Not what I consider a crisp transfer by any means, but at least it doesn't have any video garbage...
post #93 of 140 Old 06-04-2008, 06:10 PM

I just got M&C from Netflix today and took a brief look at a few scenes. From what I've seen, I'm actually pretty happy with the transfer. There is much more detail in most shots, the blacks are deeper and usually show more detail, and the colors, especially flesh tones, looked much better than the DVD. But, I think that it could look even better if given a new transfer as the quality seemed to change from shot to shot. The faces look softer than I'd expect and the print itself is dirtier than I'd like. Still, it's a nice improvement, but only if it was priced at around $20, not $30.

The sound, even at 1.5 mbps, sounded noticeably better than the DVD's DTS track.
post #94 of 140 Old 06-14-2008, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #95 of 140 Old 06-14-2008, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Soft. There's some haloing going on at the top of the hill.
post #96 of 140 Old 06-14-2008, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
+1 but doesn't look this soft on 37" and 50" screens.

Blu-ray : 340
post #97 of 140 Old 06-15-2008, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

+1 but doesn't look this soft on 37" and 50" screens.

Yeah, that shot actually looked very good on my family's 42" 768p plasma. On here though... it's strange that it looks so soft, in addition to the digital artifacts. This could definitely use a new transfer.
post #98 of 140 Old 06-15-2008, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Yeah. FOX gave us the shaft on most of their catalog titles which they have repeatedly bumped from the schedule for some unknown reasons.

Blu-ray : 340
post #99 of 140 Old 06-15-2008, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Just picked this one up the other day, already own it on SDVD. The audio was just amazing on the SDVD, os I hope it's even better on BD. But I agree the transfer appears only slightly better. Fox does seem to be lacking in effort when it comes to their titles. I just think back the to start of SDVD and how much crap studios pushed out. A lot of crap, basically direct transfer from the VHS versions. If they are going to charge $24-$40 for these disks they need to get their crap together less their greed kill the format. I can understand a bad transfer on a older movie like the Sting do to the state of the master but this is well BS.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
post #100 of 140 Old 06-17-2008, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #101 of 140 Old 06-17-2008, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Kellogg View Post

Just picked this one up the other day, already own it on SDVD. The audio was just amazing on the SDVD, os I hope it's even better on BD. But I agree the transfer appears only slightly better. Fox does seem to be lacking in effort when it comes to their titles. I just think back the to start of SDVD and how much crap studios pushed out. A lot of crap, basically direct transfer from the VHS versions. If they are going to charge $24-$40 for these disks they need to get their crap together less their greed kill the format. I can understand a bad transfer on a older movie like the Sting do to the state of the master but this is well BS.

A double dip in the future

post #102 of 140 Old 06-17-2008, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Saw MaC last nite for the first time on BD.

Was surprised by how much film grain was shown.
This is a newer film and shouldn't show alot of grain.
Noticed most of the grainer scenes were when we had close-ups of RC.

At any rate, too much grain (unless PW intended it).

At least no DNR A new cleaned up remaster will siginficantly improve this version.

post #103 of 140 Old 06-17-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post

At least no DNR

True!

Quote:

A new cleaned up remaster will siginficantly improve this version.

Yes. Still, it's a decent improvement over the DVD, especially during the storm sequence and the battle scenes.
post #104 of 140 Old 06-17-2008, 07:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post

At least no DNR

Just because there's still some grain in the image doesn't mean it hasn't been DNR'ed. The Master and Commander Blu-ray has rather poor textural detail and looks quite DNR'ed to me. It's better than the DVD, but not by a significant margin.

Quote:

A new cleaned up remaster will siginficantly improve this version.

Agreed.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #105 of 140 Old 06-18-2008, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
This has to be one of the most disappointing releases in High def. The colour/black levels are better than SD-DVD but the image on SD-DVD otherwise is pretty comparable (yes I did compare both movies in a projector - BR going 1080p/24 and the SD-DVD upconverted to 1080p).

Now I was not prepared for the audio. It is i.m.h.o much better in the SD-DVD release! The scene I used to test was the scene where the boy gets his arm chopped off (right at the beginning). The SD-DVD was in the DTS track and the BR DTS-HD MA. I heard much more of the constant wood crackling on the SD-DVD than on the BR (maybe a mastering issue). Of course the scenes where battle scenes sounded great in DTS-HD MA but it is not night and day compared to the SD-DVD release.

I'm glad I did not (and will not) buy this BR release.
post #106 of 140 Old 06-18-2008, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Just because there's still some grain in the image doesn't mean it hasn't been DNR'ed. The Master and Commander Blu-ray has rather poor textural detail and looks quite DNR'ed to me. It's better than the DVD, but not by a significant margin.

You are absolutely right I should have said obvious or excessive DNR.

post #107 of 140 Old 06-14-2009, 04:09 PM

Hey everyone,

Sorry for bringing up an old thread. I bought M&C on Blu Ray a few days ago and was surprised at how the image seemed to break apart during the foggy, smoky and even under deck scenes.

Above deck the pic was great but otherwise the image seemed to be worse than what people here are describing.

As an example in the first battle scene when Mr. Hollum's gun crew is taken out and Mr. Calamy tells Mr. Blakney to go above deck the image is so incredibly blurry and when there was movement the object that was moving was followed by heavy tracers (like you were on LCD).

I think I am experiencing something far worse that what a lot of critics say is a soft pic. In particular the scene arond the horn, everything is way blurry with lots of tracers

Funny thing is it is not that much different on Standard def. I still get the heavy blurring in those scenes.

The standard def DVD did not have this issue on my old box sony and old DVD player.

I recently got into Home Theater with a 52" sammy, HK receiver and PS3. I got the PS3 this week. Movies like Godfather, V for Vendetta, 2001 and Dark Knight all look great so I do not think it is the player or a firmware issue.

I am not a hard core videophile and I do not think I fall into the category of unrealistic expectations either but even I can tell it should not look like this.

Comments that say, the pic is not that bad tells makes me think I am experiencing a much worse pic than most people.

Any thoughts?

Sound is incredible by the way and as film on its own this is one of my favs.

Thanks
post #108 of 140 Old 05-09-2011, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

So there's a new Digitbook release out tomorrow. Anyone know if this is improved in any way? New transfer? More supplements?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B004SEUJAA/
post #109 of 140 Old 05-09-2011, 12:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugueness View Post
So there's a new Digitbook release out tomorrow. Anyone know if this is improved in any way? New transfer? More supplements?
And without the truncated LFE. The DTheater version has reference bass with the cannon battle. It is just not there in the BD

Art

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #110 of 140 Old 05-09-2011, 12:30 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

How awesome would that be...!
post #111 of 140 Old 05-09-2011, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
I believe the entire wave of recent digibooks by Fox are just the older BDs reissued in new packaging. A crass marketing promotion, likely for the upcoming Father's day period.

(last update: July 30, 2014)

post #112 of 140 Old 05-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 814
New transfer and no high pass filter on the LFE channel and I'm there! Most likely not a new disc though.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #113 of 140 Old 05-09-2011, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
More chance of hell freezing over.
post #114 of 140 Old 02-02-2012, 06:13 AM

I don't know if any of you can find this of any interest, but the italian edition of this film used a different miramax master, only edition in europe to not use the fox master. It could be an improvement for enthusiasts of this film. English track is of course included
post #115 of 140 Old 02-02-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandeBoma View Post

I don't know if any of you can find this of any interest, but the italian edition of this film used a different miramax master, only edition in europe to not use the fox master. It could be an improvement for enthusiasts of this film. English track is of course included

That's interesting...would love to see a screenshot comparison.
post #116 of 140 Old 02-02-2012, 06:34 AM

I can't help you as i dont own a copy and dont have anydvd to decrypt the disc for file appraisal. I will keep interested avs users updated on this matter and will link screenshots if any appear
post #117 of 140 Old 02-02-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandeBoma View Post

If it's an old Miramax DVD master, I wouldn't hold out much hope. Miramax used to crank up the Edge Enhancement on their transfers at the time this movie was first released.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #118 of 140 Old 02-02-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 42
this is one of the reasons I should have kept my Dtheater copy!!! PQ/LFE/SQ were really good to me....

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #119 of 140 Old 08-19-2012, 11:21 PM

post #120 of 140 Old 08-21-2012, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 48
how in the hell did a great movie like this never get a sequel.

hollywood throws a sequel at pretty much anything, and there's a lot of uncovered material from the book series that's there for the taking.

i should be a hollywood producer.

neflixis our nemesis
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Master And Commander The Far Side Of The World Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Master by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page