Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 140 Old 05-26-2008, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

XylonHD, YouTube Channel, @XylonHD

Reference AQ. With that out of the way . . . . .

The overall PQ is a dissappointment. I expected much, much better PQ than this. When I bought the EU BD last year I was hoping that they will use a new transfer for the US release. The numerous delays made me more optimistic of this possibility. I was wrong. It was the same transfer.

What happens when you charge $30.00 + for a catalog title?

1. No blind buys
2. Delayed purchase waiting for a "deal"

I belong to the latter. Got this title and Passage To India for a substitute deal from a local BM store. Personally unless you really need to own Master and Commander I recommend other BD titles.

Code:
                                                                                                                         Total   Video                                             
Title                                                                   Codec   Length  Movie Size      Disc Size       Bitrate Bitrate Main Audio Track                          Secondary Audio Track
-----                                                                  ------  ------- --------------  --------------  ------- ------- ------------------                        ---------------------
Master & Commander                                                      AVC     2:18:20 37,076,391,936  44,160,185,040  35.74   27.86   DTS-HD Master 5.1 4349Kbps (48kHz/24-bit) 

PLAYLIST REPORT:

Name:           00002.mpls
Size:           37,076,391,936 bytes
Length:         2:18:20 (h:m:s)
Total Bitrate:  35.74 Mbps
Description:    

FILES:

Name            Size            Length          Time In         Time Out        
----            ----            ------          -------         --------        
00002.M2TS      37,076,391,936  2:18:20         0:00:00         2:18:20         

VIDEO:

Codec               Bitrate         Description     
-----               -------         -----------     
MPEG-4 AVC Video    27864 kbps      1080p / 23.976fps

AUDIO:

Codec                           Language        Bitrate         Description     
-----                           --------        -------         -----------     
DTS-HD Master Audio             English         4349 kbps       5.1 / 48kHz / 24-bit (DTS Core: 5.1 / 48kHz / 24-bit / 1536kbps)
Dolby Digital Audio             French          448 kbps        5.1 / 48kHz     
Dolby Digital Audio             Spanish         448 kbps        5.1 / 48kHz

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 140 Old 05-26-2008, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #3 of 140 Old 05-26-2008, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #4 of 140 Old 05-26-2008, 06:04 AM

Liked: 10
Wow doesnt look much better than an upconvert on HDtv would .
post #5 of 140 Old 05-26-2008, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Ouch.

Thanks Xylon - I was borderline on this, but I now won't be buying it.

Cheers,
Paul Cordingley
post #6 of 140 Old 05-26-2008, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Holy crap!
I´ve seen lots of Upconverted DVD:s looking MUCH better than that.
post #7 of 140 Old 05-26-2008, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

There are many scenes that look better than this.

Michael

Collection:
|
post #8 of 140 Old 05-26-2008, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post

There are many scenes that look better than this.

The PQ is very up and down in this one. Some scenes look very good, some look average and some look like these. It is the the best this particular movie has looked though I believe so for anyone who doesn't own it at all it is surely worth picking up the Blu-ray version.

Plus the soundtrack on this one is reference quality.
post #9 of 140 Old 05-26-2008, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 424
I'm sure the differences stand out more on a larger screen too.

post #10 of 140 Old 05-26-2008, 08:42 AM

Are they having a joke at the public releasing HD at this quaility!?
post #11 of 140 Old 05-26-2008, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

big difference in those IMHO

-Gary
post #12 of 140 Old 05-26-2008, 10:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Anyone able to compare directly with the 1080i DTheater?
post #13 of 140 Old 05-26-2008, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell View Post

-Gary

I agree!!

If by "big" you mean "incredibly subtle"...
post #14 of 140 Old 05-26-2008, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
They should have at least made a new 1080P master. The D-theater one is several years old, yes? Could've probably looked better than it did.

post #15 of 140 Old 05-26-2008, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Oh dear. Thank goodness for Xylon!

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #16 of 140 Old 05-26-2008, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

-Gary

Not big enough for me to buy it.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #17 of 140 Old 05-26-2008, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought it looked quite good on my 100" screen, many sharp closeups. I agree there are some scenes that don't look great, but I think a lot of that lends itself to the nature of the film itself. Still, I'm going to buy it. It's a wonderful movie and it looks good, sounds GREAT!
post #18 of 140 Old 05-26-2008, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGuyOR View Post

I thought it looked quite good on my 100" screen, many sharp closeups. I agree there are some scenes that don't look great, but I think a lot of that lends itself to the nature of the film itself. Still, I'm going to buy it. It's a wonderful movie and it looks good, sounds GREAT!

Same as the narnia release....Inconsistent scenes...many look great others no better than upconverted dvd....I personally will no longer preorder this crap until bluray can give a consistently good transfer for a good price!

Too bad hddvd is no longer in the picture..now br can give us a crap transfer and boost the prices also!
post #19 of 140 Old 05-26-2008, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post

Reference AQ. With that out of the way . . . . .

The overall PQ is a dissappointment. I expected much, much better PQ than this. When I bought the EU BD last year I was hoping that they will use a new transfer for the US release. The numerous delays made me more optimistic of this possibility. I was wrong. It was the same transfer.

What happens when you charge $30.00 + for a catalog title?

1. No blind buys
2. Delayed purchase waiting for a "deal"

I belong to the latter. Got this title and Passage To India for a substitute deal from a local BM store. Personally unless you really need to own Master and Commander I recommend other BD titles.

Xylon,

the quality of the best sequences defines the level of quality of any given transfer.

M&C on Blu-Ray contains several tightly focused, optimal lit scenes which provide very decent definition and detail.

I am not going to start discussing directors intend, nor am I going to get into detail HOW this particular movie was shot in the first place (natural lightning and such).

I agree that this transfer isn't going to wow the typical HD crowd. I agree that in average it looks "underwhelming".

But the main attribute is inconsistency - which by itself shows that the "transfer" is a decent one (providing good quality where the source allows it).

A transfer is - by definition - of constant quality. It either represents the source or not (and not to some variable degree depending on the sequence at hand ).

That being said I am sure this movie can look better than this given a new, state of the art transfer. Fox recycling their D-Theater transfers for their INITIAL Blu-Ray releases is a business decision - expect lots of double dips from them in the future
post #20 of 140 Old 05-26-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post

The overall PQ is a dissappointment.

Personally unless you really need to own Master and Commander I recommend other BD titles.

Wow. Do I disagree with you.

I think this is a very good transfer, very true to the original. Perhaps it could be slightly better, but I can't imagine anyone who likes this movie not buying it because it doesn't have the absurd "wow factor" that those who are impressed only by popping colors, and not by movies, seem to seek.
post #21 of 140 Old 05-26-2008, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

-Gary

Yep, I see plenty of difference.
post #22 of 140 Old 05-26-2008, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Thanks for this comparo. Obviously the BD version is superior (clearly so although IMO not as big a diff as I'd hope for based on these screencaps) but at 28 bucks from Amazon I'll wait for a fox bogo or something to pick this one up. I for sure will pick it up...eventually. Great movie and the comments I have read on the soundtrack have me giddy.

ROB
post #23 of 140 Old 05-26-2008, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLion View Post

That being said I am sure this movie can look better than this given a new, state of the art transfer. Fox recycling their D-Theater transfers for their INITIAL Blu-Ray releases is a business decision - expect lots of double dips from them in the future

This is exactly what is going on here. Fox is reusing old masters for many of their catalog titles on Blu-ray. I bet a new transfer and this movie would look much better.

(last update: July 30, 2014)

post #24 of 140 Old 05-26-2008, 06:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
agreed

post #25 of 140 Old 05-26-2008, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLion View Post

A transfer is - by definition - of constant quality. It either represents the source or not (and not to some variable degree depending on the sequence at hand ).

What about The Godfather restoration? They reportedly used different elements/filtering for different scenes.
post #26 of 140 Old 05-26-2008, 08:23 PM

Wow, that is disappointing. The blu-ray is better, but not by much. I'll give this one a rental.
post #27 of 140 Old 05-26-2008, 11:20 PM

Wow, I am a bit surprised. I wasn't expecting a huge difference but that is a little disappointing.

I purchased this movie last week, but have not watched it yet. Still worth every penny for the audio IMO.

HD-DVD = 128
Blu-Ray = 117
post #28 of 140 Old 05-26-2008, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

this thread is useless without audio comparisons.

Can someone make recordings of the original DTS track and the MA. Then post them with some sort of audio file we can use?

I think the colorspace of the BD is what is making an improvement. Otherwise they do look pretty much the same. People always talk about the resolution being the biggest gain from HD. It's audio and color in my opinion. Those are the two things upconverted DVDs cant hope to match.

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
post #29 of 140 Old 05-27-2008, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cordingley View Post

Ouch.

Thanks Xylon - I was borderline on this, but I now won't be buying it.

Until it goes BOGO 2 for $20

post #30 of 140 Old 05-27-2008, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romerojpg View Post

Are they having a joke at the public releasing HD at this quaility!?

Its not that bad. Its the best we got.

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Master And Commander The Far Side Of The World Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Master by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page