AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Blu-ray Software (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-blu-ray-software/)
-   -   New Line to release " Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay" on July 29 (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-blu-ray-software/1033427-new-line-release-harold-kumar-escape-guantanamo-bay-july-29-a.html)

JBlacklow 05-27-2008 06:13 AM

Quote:

New Line Home Entertainment has announced 1-disc and 2-disc special editions of Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay which stars John Cho, Kal Penn, and Rob Corddry. A Blu-ray release will also be available. Each will carry an anamorphic widescreen presentation, and English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround track. The extra material has yet to be revealed I'm afraid, but we'll bring you further details shortly. For now though, here's a look at the artowrk for the special edition DVD and Blu-ray releases:

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...anamo-bay.html

Given New Line's history, I'd expect the audio is actually DTS-HD:MA 7.1, not DD 5.1.

Goatse 05-27-2008 06:22 AM

I want the first one... Second one was a disappointment at best.

Brajesh 05-27-2008 06:23 AM

Liked the first one. Is the sequel any good? Got 55% on RT.

thewretched22 05-27-2008 11:57 AM

I will be picking this up.

shadowrage 05-27-2008 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Liked the first one. Is the sequel any good? Got 55% on RT.

It's better. I actually want to watch the second one again. If you don't have an open mind though most of the jokes will be lost on you.

My favorite moment involves a fence. I want a H&K 2pack. It really is a very funny movie. It's mostly pubic jokes and racism, but it works. It might be the smartest dirty comedy ever made.

And there's a really great NPH Starship Troopers joke too. Rob Cordry is probably the best thing about the film.
WHV has the dvd up but not the BD. Hopefully they will have it before the 30% disappears.

JBlacklow 05-27-2008 03:09 PM

DVD Times is reporting both movies will be coming July 29:
Quote:

Also released the same day on Blu-ray Disc is the original movie, Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle. Priced at $28.99 SRP, features are TBC.

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=67862

Here's to hoping they keep what was possibly the funniest menu system of any disc.

"Dude, I think they were supposed to hit play."

MSmith83 05-27-2008 03:37 PM

I also believe that this movie is even funnier than the first entry, but both are hilarious in my opinion.

I noticed a while back on IMDB that AVS member "FilmMixer" worked on the sound mix for this movie. I'm sure the BD won't disappoint on that end.

Jeffroy 05-27-2008 03:54 PM

Love the first one, would pick it up on BD. However, I'm still raging over how (IMHO) freaking terrible this one was. I sat in the theatre totally bored, maybe laughed twice. Was very excited to see these two characters again but I hated it, and wouldn't touch it on BD with a ten foot pole.

chartwel 05-27-2008 04:14 PM

i would much rather have the first one, this one just isnt nearly as good, though i did still laugh my a** off.

DavidHir 05-27-2008 04:58 PM

I wonder if this will be another New Line "DNR" edition.

Klopek 07-18-2008 01:39 AM

Any words on region code yet??

joerod 07-18-2008 03:20 AM

So this one should be rented first?

adrianwright 07-19-2008 01:49 PM

Hi Guys,

I have just watched this using the Samsung BDP-1400 and Onkyo 875 Receiver. I have noticed some Audio Drop outs that the DSP Update does not seem to have fixed.

Has anyone else come across this issue or is my Disc a duff one?

Megalith 07-19-2008 03:51 PM

I never bothered to see the first, because I thought it'd just be another dumb teen comedy.

But after seeing the sequel, I'll have to get the first.

divedude 07-19-2008 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlacklow View Post

Here's to hoping they keep what was possibly the funniest menu system of any disc.

"Dude, I think they were supposed to hit play."

Spent a half hour with the menu I have both on pre-order from Amazon.

lgans316 07-20-2008 07:49 PM

Are these 2 titles going to be yet another DNR victims from New Line ?

Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle [Extreme Unrated Edition] review is up at dvdtown.

Quote:

The New Line video engineers use a dual-layer BD50, VC-1 transfer to reproduce the 1080p high-definition picture. The 1.85:1 ratio widescreen image is very smooth, very clean, and maybe too often very soft. Colors are excellent--deep, bright, and vivid. In fact, it's hard to fault, except to wish for something more in the way of detail and texture.

ryoohki 07-20-2008 08:13 PM

The more the time passes, the more i can't wait to see :

Lord of the DNR : Fellowship of the Casual
Lord of the DNR : 2 Passes
Lord of the DNR : Return of the Grain

DavidHir 07-20-2008 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoohki View Post

The more the time passes, the more i can't wait to see :

Lord of the DNR : Fellowship of the Casual
Lord of the DNR : 2 Passes
Lord of the DNR : Return of the Grain

Let's pray someone at Warner/New Line actually knows what the hell they're doing when it comes to LOTR. I know the extended DVDs even had too much DNR.

I was interested in picking up "...White Castle," but may just hold off. Newline appears to be saving me money lately because of their DNR madness.

lgans316 07-20-2008 08:29 PM

Quote:

Newline appears to be saving me money lately because of their DNR madness.

Well said. In some sense I am happy that the DNR madness is saving me $$$.

For time being I am going to stick around with Beowulf and Starship Troopers and skip the rest unless they come out with a clean chit.

joerod 07-21-2008 04:18 AM

I have know idea how this title 'escaped' to Blu-ray let alone dvd!

loregnum 07-21-2008 08:45 AM

Sheesh so another 1 or 2 titles that *may* be DNRed to death?

Fuggin New Line and well all the studios doing this crap but it sure seems Newline/Warner are the absolute worst with this.

WHAT IS THE POINT OF HD IF THEY ARE JUST GOING TO SCRUB AWAY THE FINE DETAIL.

I love it. I honestly think a big problem is people of my generation (ie 25-35) are probably behind this **** and well, I can honestly say my generation is full of idiots. It's rare for me to come into contact with someone around my age who isn't a complete tool.

smkstang1 07-21-2008 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loregnum View Post

Sheesh so another 1 or 2 titles that *may* be DNRed to death?

Fuggin New Line and well all the studios doing this crap but it sure seems Newline/Warner are the absolute worst with this.

WHAT IS THE POINT OF HD IF THEY ARE JUST GOING TO SCRUB AWAY THE FINE DETAIL.

I love it. I honestly think a big problem is people of my generation (ie 25-35) are probably behind this **** and well, I can honestly say my generation is full of idiots. It's rare for me to come into contact with someone around my age who isn't a complete tool.

Look at it this way and you wont be surprised:

An average person is not that smart... Roughly half of all the people are below that average.

After recognizing that, I rarely get surprised by the level of intellect of some...

dukerock12 07-22-2008 07:49 AM

not as good as the first, but his movie is still worth watching. there are several funny moments. the only thing i didnt like about the film is it didnt feel like the first harold and kumar movie. they made this movie seem so epic when the first one was a quite low budget movie. this movie had epic music, huge skyline camera angles, all things that hk 1 didnt have and it just made it seem like a different movie i went to go see. non the less i still loved the movie. just not as great as the first one.

JBlacklow 07-29-2008 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divedude View Post

Spent a half hour with the menu I have both on pre-order from Amazon.

I was happy to see that the "White Castle" BD did indeed keep the menus from the DVD. In fact, the BD menu is actually the TV in Harold and Kumar's apartment playing the original DVD menu! Sure it's totally a cop-out, but I find it more clever then cheap.

mpalmieri1203 07-29-2008 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianwright View Post

Hi Guys,

I have just watched this using the Samsung BDP-1400 and Onkyo 875 Receiver. I have noticed some Audio Drop outs that the DSP Update does not seem to have fixed.

Has anyone else come across this issue or is my Disc a duff one?

Watching this on an Onkyo 604...2 drop outs and awful loud pops like every 15 minutes. Really awful and annoying sounding.

I'm watching on PS3 via linear bitstream PCM.

Funny movie though!

Nexus6 07-29-2008 03:43 PM

No drop outs but REALLY loud pops in different channels bitstreamed from my PS3 to my Denon 3808. Kind of annoying, glad it's a rental.

Rakesh.S 07-29-2008 04:24 PM

They might escape from Guantanamo bay but can they escape New Line's DNR?

DavidHir 07-29-2008 04:45 PM

Still looking for a credible review of the first movie.

MSmith83 07-29-2008 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 View Post

Watching this on an Onkyo 604...2 drop outs and awful loud pops like every 15 minutes. Really awful and annoying sounding.

I'm watching on PS3 via linear bitstream PCM.

Funny movie though!

Are the loud pops repeatable at the same spots? This seems to be the same issue that plagued the DTS-HD MA decoding logic in select AVRs, but now it's presumably the PS3 at fault.

dukerock12 07-29-2008 06:16 PM

is the first one even coming out on blu ray, most websites either dont have it listed or they dont have the coverart.

also if it is being released any one know of any stores that are packaging both movies together for a some sort of a deal.